Enyeama: To Recall or Not?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Enyeama: To Recall or Not?

Post by paj »

deanotito wrote:Definitely recall...but note, Vince has lost a step in the last year. He's not the old Vince...but in goalkeeping dept, we effectively have a crisis on our hand. Recalling him is the only way to solve that crisis right now
..compared to the Aparutus bottomless baskets we have besides Ikeme man mi I'd take a 60 year old Enyeama keeping wiff a cane right now...
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

walesvilla wrote:
Damunk wrote:
walesvilla wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
joao wrote:With Ikeme out for now, Onyeama is the best option left.
Half ready Onyeama is much better than the indecisive bunch of options we currently have.
Goalkeeping is all about experience and ability to make quick decisions. Onyeama should be
recalled and placated. Also he would make a much better captain than the blonde.
Who is this Onyeama?
Onyeama from where or who??
i think the O should have been an E
Are you suggesting the poster is totally clueless?
Lets not make it obvious :D
Sorry guys, and thanks for waking me up from my slumber.
ENYEAMA it is!!!
...And I still want to stick with my points.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Why are people rewriting history??? Enyeama walked out on the SE because his coach (Oliseh) told him to sit down and he refused. Instead his hotheadedness got him to go upstairs and pack his bags and he didn't give his actions a thought until he arrived at Lille. He was SE captain at the time, a highly rated keeper in Europe and very senior SE player. He thumbed his nose at the NFF, Siasia and Rohr have begged him and he said maybe if we qualify for the WC. This is the same guy that benefitted from the misfortune of key players in 2002. The SE goalie position was effectively kept open for him for years while he was still at teams like Iwuanyanwu. Vince is no longer the same goalie, he ditched us while in the form of his life, now that he's lost his place, we're currying him again.

Truth is this is for convenience on both sides, we've lost Ikeme and he needs to get on a pitch. I'd like to caution those that are rubbishing Alampasu and Akpeyi, they are not kids, they've showed up and have been with the team. What's the point if they can't step in or be given a chance? If we lose and Enyeama is at fault, we'll be blaming him and raining insults on him. What about the NPL, is there no goalie worthy of a callup? We need to think about team dynamics, cohesion and togetherness. Vince in himself is not a bullet proof solution nor a magic bullet. My opinion is Rohr should stick with his guys, call Alampasu and Akpeyi aside, show them he has full confidence and trust in them and tell them to fight for the shirt. Tell them he believes they can be on this team and achieve things for Nigeria. This was exactly the type of scenario that brought David DeGea to life at Athletico Madrid and who can forget foregoing the shenenigans of Eric Cantona for a young Zinedin Zidan. The rest is history. Vincent himself came out of similar circumstances.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

All good and well to manage Akpeyi and Alamps except for the small fact that you cannot squeeze out sweet lemonade from unripe lemons. That one na wishful thinking at best. At this point of WCQs we should be doing everything possible to include our best lemons in the processing of sweet lemonade. If we have ripe lemons that have been overlooked (for one reason or another), we have to clean them up and get them on the conveyor belt for processing of sweet lemonade.

The bottom line is Cameroon is no joke. The home and away series against Africa's Champions can make or break our WC qualification so we need our most seasoned hands behind the wheel. This is not the time for 'hungry' inexperienced chaps who will fall apart under pressure at the 11th hour.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

felarey wrote:Why are people rewriting history??? Enyeama walked out on the SE because his coach (Oliseh) told him to sit down and he refused. Instead his hotheadedness got him to go upstairs and pack his bags and he didn't give his actions a thought until he arrived at Lille. He was SE captain at the time, a highly rated keeper in Europe and very senior SE player. He thumbed his nose at the NFF, Siasia and Rohr have begged him and he said maybe if we qualify for the WC. This is the same guy that benefitted from the misfortune of key players in 2002. The SE goalie position was effectively kept open for him for years while he was still at teams like Iwuanyanwu. Vince is no longer the same goalie, he ditched us while in the form of his life, now that he's lost his place, we're currying him again.

Truth is this is for convenience on both sides, we've lost Ikeme and he needs to get on a pitch. I'd like to caution those that are rubbishing Alampasu and Akpeyi, they are not kids, they've showed up and have been with the team. What's the point if they can't step in or be given a chance? If we lose and Enyeama is at fault, we'll be blaming him and raining insults on him. What about the NPL, is there no goalie worthy of a callup? We need to think about team dynamics, cohesion and togetherness. Vince in himself is not a bullet proof solution nor a magic bullet. My opinion is Rohr should stick with his guys, call Alampasu and Akpeyi aside, show them he has full confidence and trust in them and tell them to fight for the shirt. Tell them he believes they can be on this team and achieve things for Nigeria. This was exactly the type of scenario that brought David DeGea to life at Athletico Madrid and who can forget foregoing the shenenigans of Eric Cantona for a young Zinedin Zidan. The rest is history. Vincent himself came out of similar circumstances.
If we were talking about a right back or a left winger or even a striker, I could potentially buy what you're selling. But calling Alampasu/Akpeyi aside and talking to them, as you have advised Rohr to do, will amount to nothing when they're face to face with a weavey cross or 1v1 with a decent striker....If they're not fundamentally sound, they will cost you....no matter how many hotel room conversations you have with them.

Goal Keeping is sensitive, and generally has no cover. A good winger can cover for a weak full back...and vice versa....But if a goal keeper screws up, you're in trouble.

We have a goal keeping crisis....we don't have a crisis in any other position
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: So we should miss out on world cup and ANC for the 4 th time. Sir, you are not a true fan. Enyeama, please ignore this post. Your faithful houseboy, Asabatex is ready to resume duties.
felarey wrote:Why are people rewriting history??? Enyeama walked out on the SE because his coach (Oliseh) told him to sit down and he refused. Instead his hotheadedness got him to go upstairs and pack his bags and he didn't give his actions a thought until he arrived at Lille. He was SE captain at the time, a highly rated keeper in Europe and very senior SE player. He thumbed his nose at the NFF, Siasia and Rohr have begged him and he said maybe if we qualify for the WC. This is the same guy that benefitted from the misfortune of key players in 2002. The SE goalie position was effectively kept open for him for years while he was still at teams like Iwuanyanwu. Vince is no longer the same goalie, he ditched us while in the form of his life, now that he's lost his place, we're currying him again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dammy wrote:The unavailability of Carl Ikeme for the SE's crucial WCQs against Cameroon has led to the call for the recall of former SE goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama back to the SE fold. Reading Oloye's comments on another thread telling Enyeama to be careful about destroying his legacy makes me have a rethink about inviting Enyeama. I remember how Chairman Christian Chukwu was recalled out of retirement in 1981 for the crucial WCQs against Algeria on the back of a media frenzy. The great man ended up tarnishing his reputation as he was blamed for Nigeria's loss and was hauled off at half-time to be replaced by Stephen Keshi. Chukwu carried the can for Nigeria's failure to qualify for the 1982 world cup.
Akpeyi has not inspired much confidence and while Alampasu is untested at this level, it is pertinent to point out that he has had more experience i.e. U17, U20 and a professional career, than Enyeama when he was thrown in at the deep end against England in the 2002 WC in South Korea and he acquainted himself very well.
CEs do we take a chance with Alampasu, retain Akpeyi or recall Enyeama for the crucial matches against Cameroon in September?
IIRC, Enyeama was the goal keeper of an Enyimba side that won back to back Naija league titles before he faced England at the World Cup in 2002. While Ayianugba was also in the picture, Vince saw a lot of playing time. His situation is not comparable to Alampasu.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

green4life wrote:All good and well to manage Akpeyi and Alamps except for the small fact that you cannot squeeze out sweet lemonade from unripe lemons. That one na wishful thinking at best. At this point of WCQs we should be doing everything possible to include our best lemons in the processing of sweet lemonade. If we have ripe lemons that have been overlooked (for one reason or another), we have to clean them up and get them on the conveyor belt for processing of sweet lemonade.

The bottom line is Cameroon is no joke. The home and away series against Africa's Champions can make or break our WC qualification so we need our most seasoned hands behind the wheel. This is not the time for 'hungry' inexperienced chaps who will fall apart under pressure at the 11th hour.
Why would you have unripe lemons in the team to start with. This is a test of Rohr's management ability. Has he be inviting those guys to the team for giggles or because he felt they could do a job for the team. If it's been for giggles, then I agree with you. The games against Cameroon are exactly that, games! Half the Cameroonians won't have been on the team 6 months ago, talkless won the ANC. We should respect the guys that have been showing up for us and not ridicule them. Enyeama does not come with any promises and he hasn't been up to much.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

deanotito wrote:

If we were talking about a right back or a left winger or even a striker, I could potentially buy what you're selling. But calling Alampasu/Akpeyi aside and talking to them, as you have advised Rohr to do, will amount to nothing when they're face to face with a weavey cross or 1v1 with a decent striker....If they're not fundamentally sound, they will cost you....no matter how many hotel room conversations you have with them.

Goal Keeping is sensitive, and generally has no cover. A good winger can cover for a weak full back...and vice versa....But if a goal keeper screws up, you're in trouble.

What guarantees does Enyeama bring you when faced 1v1 with a decent striker? Goalkeeping is sensitive, but LVG was able to place David DeGea on the bench indefinitely for Romero when he suspected his mind wasn't present 100%. What do you think a Mourinho, LVG, Wenger or Ancelotti would do in this case? If the argument is that we blame Rohr for carrying passengers in the team we can have that. So what if Enyeama comes and stinks up the joint? Egg on the face? Funny you mentioned Crosses, Enyeama's weak point and something I'll dare say Alampasu is better at. Time and time again, we've seen what a good backing can do to a footballer or even anybody. Marcus Rashford had only played youth football when Ryan Giggs called him and LVG started him in a UEFA game, he punished the opposition and today, all is history. The same way Zidane was called in after they stopped begging Cantona and Ginola. The Cameroonians that won the ANC were training material if at all they got invited. We ourselves know we won the ANC in 2013 with homebased players we didn't appreciate till later.

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

felarey wrote:
green4life wrote:All good and well to manage Akpeyi and Alamps except for the small fact that you cannot squeeze out sweet lemonade from unripe lemons. That one na wishful thinking at best. At this point of WCQs we should be doing everything possible to include our best lemons in the processing of sweet lemonade. If we have ripe lemons that have been overlooked (for one reason or another), we have to clean them up and get them on the conveyor belt for processing of sweet lemonade.

Why would you have unripe lemons in the team to start with. This is a test of Rohr's management ability. Has he be inviting those guys to the team for giggles or because he felt they could do a job for the team. If it's been for giggles, then I agree with you. The games against Cameroon are exactly that, games! Half the Cameroonians won't have been on the team 6 months ago, talkless won the ANC. We should respect the guys that have been showing up for us and not ridicule them. Enyeama does not come with any promises and he hasn't been up to much.
He's been working with the unripe guys because our ripe guy retired from international play but still stayed active in club football. All I'm saying is, notwithstanding what was said and done in the past, Nigeria wants to be at the WC and ANC and to do that we need our best players to have a fair chance. If Enyeama had quit football for good (like Rufai in 1998), I'd agree with you. But in this case the man is still active.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

green4life wrote:
felarey wrote:

He's been working with the unripe guys because our ripe guy retired from international play but still stayed active in club football. All I'm saying is, notwithstanding what was said and done in the past, Nigeria wants to be at the WC and ANC and to do that we need our best players to have a fair chance. If Enyeama had quit football for good (like Rufai in 1998), I'd agree with you. But in this case the man is still active.
I take it that leading up to WC '98, you would have been one of those begging Cantona and Ginola as ripe guys to get to the WC instead of believing in a young Zinedine Zidane who came in and won it all. Football is too unpredictable for this... Cameroon are African champions with unripe guys. We saw what the ripe guys from CIV and Ghana did. The unripe guys were given the necessary belief and backing and they went out there and did the job. Your ripe guy is not even playing.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Yes. belief and backing is all that is needed.. :lol:

Only on CE.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

felarey wrote:
deanotito wrote:

What guarantees does Enyeama bring you when faced 1v1 with a decent striker? Goalkeeping is sensitive, but LVG was able to place David DeGea on the bench indefinitely for Romero when he suspected his mind wasn't present 100%. What do you think a Mourinho, LVG, Wenger or Ancelotti would do in this case? If the argument is that we blame Rohr for carrying passengers in the team we can have that. So what if Enyeama comes and stinks up the joint? Egg on the face? Funny you mentioned Crosses, Enyeama's weak point and something I'll dare say Alampasu is better at. Time and time again, we've seen what a good backing can do to a footballer or even anybody. Marcus Rashford had only played youth football when Ryan Giggs called him and LVG started him in a UEFA game, he punished the opposition and today, all is history. The same way Zidane was called in after they stopped begging Cantona and Ginola. The Cameroonians that won the ANC were training material if at all they got invited. We ourselves know we won the ANC in 2013 with homebased players we didn't appreciate till later.
Since its all about 'good backing' to you, why don't we just go pick one kid off the streets of ajegunle and give him 'good backing' and he will do great things as a GK for SE....ol boy you first have to have the damn talent before the good backing can have any effect, neither Akpeyi nor Alampasu has shown to have the same talent level as Enyeama, so how far can backing take them? The same Alampasu you are talking about was called by Rohr and couldn't even displace the absolutely useless Akpeyi and hasn't been called since. I'm sure you can't tell me the last time you saw the bobo play to even be able to reach the conclusions you are making, including saying he is better at crosses than Enyeama....based on what exactly? An U-17 tourney? Same tourney where he did flap and drop some crosses if I may add...you are reaching. Simply put, if Enyeama is willing, he is our best option at GK full stop...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

If una like juxtapose unripe mango and ripe paw paw into your funny analogies, fact remains that Enyeama is needed back in that team if not for anything else but his leadership and experience. Nobody is saying the likes of Alampasu don't deserve a chance to prove a a point, but we are at a very critical stage where we can't afford to throw rookies(however promising they are) into a make or break type of game against our eternal rivals at that-Cameroon...so let us soft pedal a bit on the fancy theories of unripe and ripe lemonades and agree to disagree at least that we need all our best/experienced players in our crucial games going forward, the Apkeyi gaffe against South Africa is a one indicator that we are deluding ourselves if we think we are not in deep sh*t as far as goal keeping is concerned, no thanks to Ikeme's present health predicament.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

maceo4 wrote:
felarey wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Since its all about 'good backing' to you, why don't we just go pick one kid off the streets of ajegunle and give him 'good backing' and he will do great things as a GK for SE....ol boy you first have to have the damn talent before the good backing can have any effect, neither Akpeyi nor Alampasu has shown to have the same talent level as Enyeama, so how far can backing take them? The same Alampasu you are talking about was called by Rohr and couldn't even displace the absolutely useless Akpeyi and hasn't been called since. I'm sure you can't tell me the last time you saw the bobo play to even be able to reach the conclusions you are making, including saying he is better at crosses than Enyeama....based on what exactly? An U-17 tourney? Same tourney where he did flap and drop some crosses if I may add...you are reaching. Simply put, if Enyeama is willing, he is our best option at GK full stop...
Pls I'm looking for a mature discussion not one such as your first sentence that doesn't make sense. Don't care whether or not it's Alampasu so not sure why you had to zoom in on him. Rohr has been putting this team together for a year and he's always had 2 or 3 goalkeepers called up. I'd like to believe he wasn't calling them up to take pictures with the team. Worse still, you guys are rubbishing them, the ones that actually answered their callus and showed up. Cameroon thought they had the best guys until they didn't show up and the good guys won the cup and are now the best guys. They did that wholesale. Ironically, we're playing against them. Good luck with the convenient arrangee on both sides. If he calls Enyeama, I hope it works out.

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Tobi17 wrote:If una like juxtapose unripe mango and ripe paw paw into your funny analogies, fact remains that Enyeama is needed back in that team if not for anything else but his leadership and experience. Nobody is saying the likes of Alampasu don't deserve a chance to prove a a point, but we are at a very critical stage where we can't afford to throw rookies(however promising they are) into a make or break type of game against our eternal rivals at that-Cameroon...so let us soft pedal a bit on the fancy theories of unripe and ripe lemonades and agree to disagree at least that we need all our best/experienced players in our crucial games going forward, the Apkeyi gaffe against South Africa is a one indicator that we are deluding ourselves if we think we are not in deep sh*t as far as goal keeping is concerned, no thanks to Ikeme's present health predicament.
Where was that leadership and experience when he bolted out the team hotel wearing our armband and didn't have a rethink until he landed at Lille, France? Mikel was in a similar situ at the time and we saw how he handled it. Mikel's is the type of leadership and experience we need. We're rubbishing the guys that showed up for a hot head that hasn't even told us he's interested. When people show you who they are, believe them.

Btw, that was not Enyeama's first time at the rodeo when it comes to being a hot head.

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

To recall
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

felarey wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
felarey wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Pls I'm looking for a mature discussion not one such as your first sentence that doesn't make sense. Don't care whether or not it's Alampasu so not sure why you had to zoom in on him. Rohr has been putting this team together for a year and he's always had 2 or 3 goalkeepers called up. I'd like to believe he wasn't calling them up to take pictures with the team. Worse still, you guys are rubbishing them, the ones that actually answered their callus and showed up. Cameroon thought they had the best guys until they didn't show up and the good guys won the cup and are now the best guys. They did that wholesale. Ironically, we're playing against them. Good luck with the convenient arrangee on both sides. If he calls Enyeama, I hope it works out.
Your entire discourse doesn't make sense. You keep mentioning Cameroon players not showing up, that was not the case, the coach selected his own set of players they showed up and they won proving their selection was correct. Rohr has selected Akpeyi and the others and they have NOT proven that their selection was merited despite the coaches 'backing'. So if Rohr is willing to select Enyeama instead and Enyeama is willing to come and play what exactly is your issue? They are not and have not shown to be better than Vince, so why continue with them is Vince is willing and able? I'm sure even Akpeyi would be happy to be put out of his misery by the return of Vince, no more scared looked on his face, he can sit on the bench comfortably :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

maceo4 wrote:
felarey wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
felarey wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Your entire discourse doesn't make sense. You keep mentioning Cameroon players not showing up, that was not the case, the coach selected his own set of players they showed up and they won proving their selection was correct. Rohr has selected Akpeyi and the others and they have NOT proven that their selection was merited despite the coaches 'backing'. So if Rohr is willing to select Enyeama instead and Enyeama is willing to come and play what exactly is your issue? They are not and have not shown to be better than Vince, so why continue with them is Vince is willing and able? I'm sure even Akpeyi would be happy to be put out of his misery by the return of Vince, no more scared looked on his face, he can sit on the bench comfortably :rotf:
I don't think you know Cameroon's story from the last ANC.

kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Definitely should come back. First Super Eagle in 4 world cups. Gotta mean something
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

felarey wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Bros, you still don't understand. Are you really comparing the Manchester United reserve goalie to Alampasu/Akpeyi...neither of which would probably get into the Man U academy???

Goal Keeping is sensitive...Enyeama gives us no guarantees, but by current exposure, he's the highest profile keeper we have...and by historical exploits, he wipes the floor with Akpeyi/Alampasu....This really isn't a argument we should be having. The Akpeyi I saw vs South Africa is not the kind of keeper that should be playing internationals....
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
We need him back

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

If una really love the SE, una go make sure this bobo is returned back along with Mikel, Bologun, and Moses... we are in big trouble if this guy skips the games vs Cameroon..FACT
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: We need him back

Post by Mr Shows »

With Ikeme's current predicament, the fact remains he is the best we have out there at the moment..

Magnet needs to get his career back on track and Nigeria is in desperate need of a safe pair of hands between the sticks..It's a win win for both parties..

Sentiments aside, the NFF need to patch things up and get this deal on.