So City spent £100 Million on Stones and Walker

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: So City spent £100 Million on Stones and Walker

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:chei and some folks dey blame chinese..... kyle 50m...... na wa
Sorry to see him go but Trippier is not a bad deputy. Poch will be able to solve Walker's void.
That's the spirit plus the 50M doesn't hurt either. Meanwhile, what's your take on the Dier to ManU rumors?
Personally, I like Dier's game. He's the utility player. He can cover many positions from MF to the back 4. I'd be surprised if Poch let him leave unless he's got a replacement that will offer even more than Dier. But football is also business. We are building and 100m from 2 players is 1/8 of the stadium cost
I agree. Definitely one of the most underrated players in the league. I don't expect to see him at ManU either but with ManU's financial muscle anything is possible.
Now Spuds have a good team, can they keep their good players? This is key because Agents do not have any time for sentiment. Players these days rarely have time for sentiment. As a Gooner, I know this only too well, not only did we sell our best players for the best part of 10 years, we also missed out on top players in the same period. It is one thing bringing in good players or even developing them, it is another thing entirely to keep them when they have proven themselves in the league.

Bottomline is Spuds do not pay wages of a top 4 team. Go read the last set of Accounts of the top 6. The top 4 in terms of wages were, ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Arsenal were 5th, Spuds 6th. But the difference between Spuds and the rest is considerable. Arsenal had a wage of £195m in 5th, Liverpool had a wage bill of £208m in 4th, whilst Spuds in 2nd place in the league had the 6th highest wage bill of £160m. A brilliant achievement, but the differential in wages is too big to keep their best players. I know this only too well from Arsenal's expereince.

Players will take care of number one and for Spuds over 2 to 3 seasons (last season was the 2nd season), if the budget differential is too big, it will be impossible for them to keep their players. Spuds have got to the level where their best players want to be paid like the other players at that the same level. For example, Walker knows his worth, if he does not, his Agent knows it is his job to let him know this. All the Agent has to do is say, look at Luke Shaw, your England team mate. How much is he earning? If Luke Shaw can command a basic wage of £170k per week, why can't you? Is he better than you? Is he worth more than you? Then, the Agent will point to the player who he competes with for the England RB spot - Nathaniel Clyne. How can it be that Clyne is earning more than Walker? Clyne is said to earn over £90k per week plus bonuses, but Walker's Agent in his quest to get Walker out of Spuds and let the whole world know that his player is on less than £70k per week plus bonuses at Spuds. This despite the fact that the same Agent, only just recently just agreed the deal with Spuds. Goes to show you how much a contract is worth these days. Fact is, a contract is only there to protect the club in that you get the highest transfer fee for the player. The contract no longer stops a determined player from leaving. We hear Walker is being offered a basic of over £150k per week by City - that is more than double what he currently earns at Spuds. Sadly, for Spuds, this is just the beginning. When Walker post his first wage slip on 'WhatsApp' for his Spuds ex-team mates to see, then reality will strike and the Agents of the other top players will go into over drive to get similar wages for their clients. That is the reality of the modern game.
Exactly and why I am in support of a football salary cap. I am happy with the club's focus on developing youth players. The moment Spurs turns on 'cheat mode', I stop supporting the club. Walker's move annoys me because I expected more loyalty from him than the flimsy excuse of being homesick for the North. It also annoys me because it explains the shiite performances we were getting out of him at the latter end of the season. I will trust the manager in his decision and it means that Poch feels that Kyle Walker-Peters is more than ready. Walker should have looked to Bale and Modric who we advised to wait a year and then get a move to a bigger club and in their case this panned out very well. But as you said, there is no loyalty between players and club.

On spending the money well, I am more than pleased with how Spurs spent the Bale money - Eriksen and Lamela have proven their weight in gold. We also got good monies for selling the remaining five. The club that makes me laugh is Liverpool. Rodgers came out all guns blazing saying they wouldnt waste the Suarez money poking fun at Spurs and yet ...

If Dier decides to go as well, I will not lose any sleep. The only worry I will have is if Alli decides to follow his best friend. As mentioned, his greatest strength is utility but that is also his greatest weakness. Wanyama and Dembele are better CMs/DMs. Toby, Jan and Wimmer (IMHO) are better defenders. Trippier is a better RB.

It is clear to me what Jose's and Pep's tactics are in this transfer window and that is to unsettle Spurs' players.
Here is me not wishing Walker well - homesick for the North indeed ... :roll: :roll:

PS On the wage bill stuff, certain clubs pay their first team players more than Spurs - Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle (before relegation), Everton .. Spurs have a small first team squad as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You have always been a very emotional boy. You think Jose and pep give a foook about your cursed tin pot club?? Grow up! Look at Juventus! They sold their best defender to AC Milan! Chelsea sold their best player to Man United (Mata), Arsenal sold their best player (Van Persie) to Man United. Big clubs dont have to thump chest! Only small clubs say stuff like "We wont be bullied" :lol: :lol: :lol: thats a small club mentality! If a club comes in for your player, you make a choice:

1. Can I do without him? If you can, state your fooking price and replace his assssssss; or

2. Can I do without him? If you cannot, tell the big club, sorry he isnt for sale!

Simple as that! All this beating your little chest talking nonsense about "Levy wont sell to a rival" "Levy is a master negotiator" "Levy levy levy!" your club needs to grow up!

Jose and Pep do not give a damn about your club. They want to win and are chasing players that will help them win. :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

pajimoh wrote:Walker is 27 and Trippier makes his sale less painful. Clubs cannot keep the players that want out but you can get top money for them. Unfortunately this is the way things are now. That I why the new stadium and the ability to pay top mo ey is important otherwise you just have to define your ambitions - get into Europe my making top four, buy cheap and sell high. If you win something then it's a bonus. Clubs are spending over 300m on defence alone when a team I the premiership don't even cost that much.
Now, you see why I argued on the Kelechi rumor thread that for Spurs to aim to play 60+ games this season or even next season is not realistic nor advisable.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

danfo driver wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You have always been a very emotional boy. You think Jose and pep give a foook about your cursed tin pot club?? Grow up! Look at Juventus! They sold their best defender to AC Milan! Chelsea sold their best player to Man United (Mata), Arsenal sold their best player (Van Persie) to Man United. Big clubs dont have to thump chest! Only small clubs say stuff like "We wont be bullied" :lol: :lol: :lol: thats a small club mentality! If a club comes in for your player, you make a choice:

1. Can I do without him? If you can, state your fooking price and replace his assssssss; or

2. Can I do without him? If you cannot, tell the big club, sorry he isnt for sale!

Simple as that! All this beating your little chest talking nonsense about "Levy wont sell to a rival" "Levy is a master negotiator" "Levy levy levy!" your club needs to grow up!

Jose and Pep do not give a damn about your club. They want to win and are chasing players that will help them win. :roll:
bus conductor smacking up some sense.

Cristao i'm so dissapointed. When did you become an Arsenal-like whine baby?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Walker, Mendy, Danilo

Pep Guardiola has declared war on all foes in football
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Their money, they can do whatever they want with it.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

House Lanister :D
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

spastic wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

bus conductor smacking up some sense.

Cristao i'm so dissapointed. When did you become an Arsenal-like whine baby?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Saying the truth about two under performing clubs means one is a whine baby?

- Mourinho's tactics in this league is clear. He uses the transfer market not only to get players but to deprive other clubs of their targets. That is Jose. He did it at Chelsea and now he is doing it at United.

- City knows one of Spurs' strengths is the full back position. Did they really need Walker? Walker doesn't fit Pep's philosophy. I pity Kyle - I really do. Word from the club is City had the nerve to ask for Rose after the Walker transfer was done! The sticker for me is that City has a much better youth academy than Spurs! Well perhaps this season Pep will use it. His treatment of Kelechi doesnt fill me with confidence though.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Walker is 27 and Trippier makes his sale less painful. Clubs cannot keep the players that want out but you can get top money for them. Unfortunately this is the way things are now. That I why the new stadium and the ability to pay top mo ey is important otherwise you just have to define your ambitions - get into Europe my making top four, buy cheap and sell high. If you win something then it's a bonus. Clubs are spending over 300m on defence alone when a team I the premiership don't even cost that much.
Now, you see why I argued on the Kelechi rumor thread that for Spurs to aim to play 60+ games this season or even next season is not realistic nor advisable.
On average Spurs has played more of 53 games on average. 60+ games is possible only if Spurs advances much further in ALL cup competitions. Something that I agree is not realistic with the current squad size and the club's preference for certain competitions. One thing is certain though - Spurs must do better to win at least one cup.

2016-2017: 53
2015-2016: 57
2014-2015: 54
2013-2014: 54
2012-2013: 53
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cito wrote:
This is the point I made in one of Spurs' game thread and Cristao said I was wrong. Holding unto a player is hard as is especially for a club in the class of Arsenal and Spurs without sugar daddy. When you add the mad market coupled with Stadium building venture, you face an uphill battle to pay 'competitive' wage.

In as much as I try to make fun of Spurs, I think they are unto the right blend of a coach with mindset of young players infusion, Levy with the right attitude and skillful(solid) players who seem to like each other. The young players will do well if introduced early enough but there will always be that growing pain associated with the jump.
For years, Arsenal were mocked and placed under pressure. Spuds don't have to deal with any such pressure. If Spuds came under the same pressure, they will crumble. The press are already making the excuses for Spurs, but Wenger was vilified for adopting the same strategy of not spending money the club did not have.

Do you remember how the press made it a huge thing and it was all over the net when Arsenal went all those years without winning a trophy? Spuds and a Liverpool have gone way beyond the time period Arsenal did, but do you hear a word from them? I certainly do not hear a thing from CEs who jumped on the bandwagon then about Spuds or Pool.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

benteke wrote:Walker, Mendy, Danilo

The idiocy of the modern fan is to think you win the league in the summer window. Transfers have replaced trophies for the majority of social media football supporters. These supporters now use transfers and money spent as a kind of tool of one upmanship against one another. It is ridiculous and idiotic.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

spastic wrote:House Lanister :D
Who is Jadon Sancho? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:

The idiocy of the modern fan is to think you win the league in the summer window. Transfers have replaced trophies for the majority of social media football supporters. These supporters now use transfers and money spent as a kind of tool of one upmanship against one another. It is ridiculous and idiotic.

I don't bother anymore. Too many stupid people in football...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Waffiman wrote:

I hope you are not referring to me here.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

benteke wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

He is. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

benteke wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Pay no attention to the spammer...Bobo dey vex say dem spend 52 million on a PK specialist who goes missing in big games
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

The YeyeMan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

If he really is, i am wondering why all the name-calling, 'idiocy", "social media supporter" ... blah blah :biggrin: .... the names we get to be called by a fellow african brother over European club football.
It should not be that way, we are better than that.

After all i thought this was a light hearted thread about City's Guardiola spending :taunt: :biggrin:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Waffiman wrote:
Cito wrote:
This is the point I made in one of Spurs' game thread and Cristao said I was wrong. Holding unto a player is hard as is especially for a club in the class of Arsenal and Spurs without sugar daddy. When you add the mad market coupled with Stadium building venture, you face an uphill battle to pay 'competitive' wage.

In as much as I try to make fun of Spurs, I think they are unto the right blend of a coach with mindset of young players infusion, Levy with the right attitude and skillful(solid) players who seem to like each other. The young players will do well if introduced early enough but there will always be that growing pain associated with the jump.
For years, Arsenal were mocked and placed under pressure. Spuds don't have to deal with any such pressure. If Spuds came under the same pressure, they will crumble. The press are already making the excuses for Spurs, but Wenger was vilified for adopting the same strategy of not spending money the club did not have.

Do you remember how the press made it a huge thing and it was all over the net when Arsenal went all those years without winning a trophy? Spuds and a Liverpool have gone way beyond the time period Arsenal did, but do you hear a word from them? I certainly do not hear a thing from CEs who jumped on the bandwagon then about Spuds or Pool.
You really need to quit using Spurs as a tool for hiding Arsenal's shortcomings. Our policy now is the same as it was before we started building the stadium. We don't spend big on players. We were into growing a team not buying a team. We are into balancing the books.
We don't go out and make statements that "Poch has this amount of money to spend on players" only to leave it in the kitty. That is the Arsenal way.
We've always worked with a tight budget. We also have pressures and we're yet to crumble. We can't pay as much as the top teams and out top players leave - remember Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Walker etc? Yet we constantly evolve.
We are being told we must win something or lose our best players and the club is aware of this. The handlers are aware of this and the press are always on our case as to how our players can benefit other teams.

Arsenal bought badly, pay insane wages for nonperforming stars. Even with money flooding in from improved gate receipts, you still bought badly.

Don't lay that at the steps of Spurs or the press, that is you lots doing.

Abeg leave Spurs out of this one. We have expectations and would like to win the leaque. You coming here and making it seems like we just roll with the days and lack ambition is typically WAFIMANISM - ALL HOT AIR
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, the problem is, should City stumble upon the league title, the many faced God will wear a new visage and claim the title brought. Those same transfers once ridiculed as Facebook trophies will now be the sole reason behind success. The inability of certain others to lay siege, wild and reckless, upon the transfer market, the sole reason for their failure. So in conclusion, what is a girl's name? A girl has no name. And that is all that matters.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

pajimoh wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cito wrote:

You really need to quit using Spurs as a tool for hiding Arsenal's shortcomings. Our policy now is the same as it was before we started building the stadium. We don't spend big on players. We were into growing a team not buying a team. We are into balancing the books.
We don't go out and make statements that "Poch has this amount of money to spend on players" only to leave it in the kitty. That is the Arsenal way.
We've always worked with a tight budget. We also have pressures and we're yet to crumble. We can't pay as much as the top teams and out top players leave - remember Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Walker etc? Yet we constantly evolve.
We are being told we must win something or lose our best players and the club is aware of this. The handlers are aware of this and the press are always on our case as to how our players can benefit other teams.

Arsenal bought badly, pay insane wages for nonperforming stars. Even with money flooding in from improved gate receipts, you still bought badly.

Don't lay that at the steps of Spurs or the press, that is you lots doing.

Abeg leave Spurs out of this one. We have expectations and would like to win the leaque. You coming here and making it seems like we just roll with the days and lack ambition is typically WAFIMANISM - ALL HOT AIR
Spuds will like to win the league, but this is not the norm for Spuds. It is an exception for Spuds to be contenders. Do you remember the last time you finish in the top 2 or even top 3? Where you born then? Do not let me embarrass you and your big talk? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On Arsenal spending, you are writing BS because you are seriously ill informed. Arsenal, have maintained a top 4 position, winning major silverware (something Spuds have not done for a longer period than when you use to come and mock us for not winning) since it committed to the Emirates. It did so with a combination of developing its youth or Academy, buying youth or young and some experienced players. During this period, Arsenal always had the lowest wage bill of the top 4 and in some seasons (like 2014/15 and 2015/16) their wage bill was the 5th highest in the PL.

Who are the players on insane wages at Arsenal? You talk about players, only recently, when the money started coming in for Sponsorship have Arsenal started buying players and retaining their best players. None of them are on insane wages, the fact is, the improvement in quality has paid off. We have won silverware, 3 major piece of silverware in 4 years. What have you lot won?

IMHO, Arsenal worst season in 20 years has come at a point when we actually had the best squad since the 'Invicibles'. Many factors are responsible for this like uncertainty surrounding the Manager, this will not happen next season. There is enough in the Arsenal squad and so long as they retain the core of the squad and look to improve it (which all indications are they are doing right now) Arsenal will be there or there about next season. They will certainly be top 4 and will ensure normal services are resumed with regards to putting Spuds in their rightful place.

The fact is, Spuds are not under the same sort of pressure to perform as Arsenal. The expectations are much lower at Spuds. My example of Spuds not winning a thing for well over ten years and no one is making a song and dance about it like all and sundry (you included) before Arsenal won the FA Cup 4 seasons is clear proof of expectations and standards at both clubs.

You talk of winning the league. Only the last 2 seasons have you looked like contenders, prior to that no one talked of Spuds and the title in one sentence, but reading your BS above, you will think Spuds are this big team that has been up there in the top for the last 20 years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you talk of Arsenal short comings, that's rich coming from a Spuds supporter. Spuds finished above Arsenal once in over 20 years and you talk of short comings. Arsenal had a poor season by it standards in the league in 20 years but won the FA cup, Spuds won nothing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wenger has been at Arsenal for 20 years, in that time, Arsenal has gone to a level in football Spuds fans can only dream of. In that time, Wenger has built different teams and won silverware, Spuds have experienced failure and kept on dropping behind. You have finished above us in one season, but when you start to think you are a big boy because of that, then you are truly deluded. One season has never made a top team and dominant team. Currently you are on a purple patch, but you have nothing to show for it to not get ahead of yourself because football is transient, it changes quickly. Spuds must win something next season or you may have to wait another 20 years for another decent team.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually making a general comment on how I see the state of the game. It is ridiculous.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

I don't bother anymore. Too many stupid people in football...

For me, keeping the core or the vast majority of your team and squad is far more important than buying players who come with all sorts of potential problems to the status quo. Look at Spuds, I read a lot of nonsense about them going backwards because they have not bought this and that. This is pure and absolute rubbish. Spuds have done very well this window so far, because they are holding on to their players. They have sold one player that did not make much of a difference to them last season when he stopped performing because they had a good understudy in Trippier. They got Walker for a ridiculous sum of money, giving them the option to go get another FB. So what is the big deal? Indeed, I go as far as to say, Spuds keeping their players and grooming players from the Academy who understand and know the system is actually a far better recipe for continued success in the top than buying players. I know this only too well because I am an Arsenal supporter who saw us use the same system to stay in the top 4 for 20 years, it is only when we started buying a lot of players, we lost stability and continuity, this is another reason why we did not finish in the top 4 last season.

The facts cannot be disputed, go and do a study of teams that have won the EPL in the last 20 years, only on the odd occasion (Arsenal 1997/98 and Mourinho 1st Chelsea team) has a team who brought in more than 4 players won the league. Title winning teams are built on stability and continuity. The longer you keep your players together, the better your chances of winning the league. Even on the odd occasions when a teams that had bought more than 4 players won the league, the teams already had a core group of players. The Arsenal team is well documented, the Chelsea team had finished 2nd to the 'Invicibles' the season before.

But suddenly social media has given this idiocy and mentality of the transfer window. I see it all over CE and words cannot describe the contempt I have for such ill informed and idiotic supporters.