2017 Nigerian Premier League - Plateau United Champions!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 2017 Nigerian Premier League

Post by anointed »

Week 31 Results

Akwa 2 - 1 Nasarawa
Bukola Saraki 2 - 0 Enugu Rangers
Ifeanyi Ubah 2 - 2 Gombe
Kano 2 - 0 Remo Stars
Lobi 0 - 0 Plateau
MFM FC - Postponed - Katsina United FC
Niger Tornadoes 0 - 0 Abia Warriors
Rivers United FC 3 - 1 Wikki
Shooting 1 - 0 Enyimba
Sunshine Stars 1 - 0 El Kanemi
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

looks like Rangers is going to be relegated.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:mad: :mad: Everyone is taking turn on Rangers ....my Rangers have become the 'anfani adugbo' of the league. Shame..what a crying shame :curse:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Just observing :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

YemiBrazil wrote:Just observing :D
Just observing, eh? Let me ask .... if the alleged super-classico of Nigeria happens to be a Division Two match next year, will you still observe it?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

The Eagle wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:Just observing :D
Just observing, eh? Let me ask .... if the alleged super-classico of Nigeria happens to be a Division Two match next year, will you still observe it?
There is no super-classico of Nigeria next year but Iwuanyanwu should provide better resistance in Ibadan though they will still chop cane and we are also whooping them in Owerri for good measure :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ex-Eagles coach Sylvanus Okpala takes over relegation-threatened Enugu Rangers
By admin - July 25, 201761 0
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/25/e ... u-rangers/

Relegation-troubled Enugu Rangers have appointed former Super Eagles assistant coach Sylvanus Okpala as new coach, officials said.

Okpala takes over from Chukwuma Agbo, who has been in caretaker charge of the NPFL side since the contract of championship-winning coach Imama Amapakabo was terminated earlier this year.

Okpala was first linked with the post at the peak of Imama’s troubles at Rangers when they could only force a 2-2 draw with Zesco United of Zambia in a 2017 CAF Confederation Cup playoff.

He has captained the Super Eagles and played professionally in Portugal.

‘Quick Silver’ assisted Stephen Keshi when Nigeria won a third AFCON in 2013 in South Africa.

Rangers, who have never been relegated, are in the drop zone in 17th place on the NPFL table with 39 points from 31 matches.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:

Relegation-troubled Enugu Rangers have appointed former Super Eagles assistant coach Sylvanus Okpala as new coach, officials said.

Okpala takes over from Chukwuma Agbo, who has been in caretaker charge of the NPFL side since the contract of championship-winning coach Imama Amapakabo was terminated earlier this year.

Okpala was first linked with the post at the peak of Imama’s troubles at Rangers when they could only force a 2-2 draw with Zesco United of Zambia in a 2017 CAF Confederation Cup playoff.

‘Quick Silver’ assisted Stephen Keshi when Nigeria won a third AFCON in 2013 in South Africa.

Rangers, who have never been relegated, are in the drop zone in 17th place on the NPFL table with 39 points from 31 matches.
How the Chukwuma guy ever got the job can only be as a result of the Enugu padi padi nepotism that destroys everything that is good. I have never seen a Rangers team that looked so weak and horrible like the one i watched in Makurdi....to call them useless would be too kind towards them.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

oloye wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

How the Chukwuma guy ever got the job can only be as a result of the Enugu padi padi nepotism that destroys everything that is good. I have never seen a Rangers team that looked so weak and horrible like the one i watched in Makurdi....to call them useless would be too kind towards them.
The welfare wahala for coach & player na the problem...rather than nepotism...
Chukwuma Agbo was former asst to Imama, and was stepped up pending when they could afford a coach...I'm sure a coach like Okpala might have been appointed as Imama's immediate replacement if they could afford it at the time...

Like almost all the local clubs, Rangers wahala na money...

Worse, still, even the meagre money available, the yeye management dey misuse am...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

7 matches to go for Rangers. They are now making a coaching change lol.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Fourths counting, another NPFL game postponed today because of rain. Rangers v Rivers United to be continued tomorrow morning.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:Fourths counting, another NPFL game postponed today because of rain. Rangers v Rivers United to be continued tomorrow morning.
Why are you monitoring Rangers like a monitoring spirit....i will soon call for an exorcist! :mad: :taunt: :D

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I am conflicted here. MFM is 2nd, with 6 games to go. 4 points ahead of Akwa United. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. Still have a game left with Plateau United. 3 points behind Plateau.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Fourths counting, another NPFL game postponed today because of rain. Rangers v Rivers United to be continued tomorrow morning.
Why are you monitoring Rangers like a monitoring spirit....i will soon call for an exorcist! :mad: :taunt: :D
Oloye,

I dey monitor dem as they wan set record ooo! Champion one season and .......the next season. Fill in the blank.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Rivers United suspend Stanley Eguma and his Top 6 moments of lateness
XXX 5:52:00 AM LEAGUE , NPFL
http://www.naijafootball247.com/2017/03 ... a-and.html

After drawing at home to Plateau United in the League on Match day 16, the management of Rivers United FC issued a press statement suspending the coach, Stanley Eguma for one game.

The reason they cited was reporting to the stadium eighteen minutes after the game against Plateau United kicked off.

And of course, following this development, Eguma will not be part of the United team for this weekend's NPFL game against Gombe United in Gombe.

This got tongues wagging especially on Social Media as people were surprised that a coach could arrive at his own game in the 18th minute.

Some thought there could be more to it than just the day’s game, after all, “who was doing the time keeping to ascertain the number of minutes.”

But what many do not know is that, the man, Stanley Eguma is not new to late coming for games and training sessions.

Here we have the top 6 Stanley Eguma moments of lateness

Heartland v Dolphins 2015

This game was live on television and at twenty minutes to kick off time, the Supersports TV crew needed to conduct pitch side interviews with the two coaches.

When they were through with the Heartland coach, they noticed Stanley Eguma was not in the vicinity yet.

After the television crew waited a bit, assistant, John Apollo wanted to fill up for him before he eventually came into the stadium.

Coton Sports v Dolphins 2012

This was in in CAF Champions League and the game was played in Garoua, Cameroon.

Eguma stayed back in the hotel when the team left for the Stadium and at the time the game kicked off he was nowhere near the stadium.

A few minutes after the game kicked off, he finally found his way into the stadium and took his place on the bench.

Dolphins lost that game 1-0 and crashed out of the Champions League on away goals rule as the 1st leg ended 2-1.

Warri Wolves v Dolphins 2011

Dolphins lost this game played at the Warri City Stadium and Ekigho Ehiosun was at the top of his game getting a goal and two assists in that one, but the talking point was not the Warri Wolves striker.

The head coach of Dolphins, FC, Stanley Eguma was so late for the game that he did not see the first two goals conceded by his team.

Kano Pillars v Dolphins 2002

This was the quarter final of the FA Cup in Calabar and it was Dolphins v Kano Pillars.

That was the era of group stage in the FA Cup and Dolphins had won the group, returned to Port Harcourt for a few league matches and were back in Calabar for the quarter final clash against Kano Pillars.

Dolphins arrived in Calabar on Monday and the game was to be played on Saturday.

Stanley Eguma was head coach of the team and his assistant was Ere Dokubo.

Eguma did not arrive in Calabar until Saturday morning, the day of the match. Dolphins lost that game to Pillars.

FC Taraba V Dolphins

Dolphins left for Jalingo for the League game against FC Taraba and the coach, Stanley Eguma chose to fly rather than take the road trip with the team.

The game was billed for May 20, 2015 and and the team arrived in Jalingo two days before the game.

Eguma was expected the next day, the eve of the game but he did not show up.

As the team left for the Stadium for the game, Stanley Eguma had not arrived in Jalingo from Port Harcourt.

Dolphins were 1-0 up in the 82nd minute of the game when Eguma walked in and took his place on the bench.

The game eventually ended 1-1

Maybe, the one match suspension for getting to the stadium eighteen minutes after kick off was borne out of accumulated offences than just this one game against Plateau United.

Top five recommended sanctions for Stanley Eguma?
XXX 11:37:00 PM LEAGUE , NPFL
http://www.naijafootball247.com/2017/08 ... s-for.html

It has been four games since the three match ultimatum given to Rivers United gaffer, Stanley Eguma and the world awaits the sanctions that will be meted to him.

No doubt he failed woefully as out of three games he was supposed to win, he managed only one and lost one, so what happens next?

Just on Thursday, he lost on the Road (did someone say ‘as usual?’) to Kano Pillars in the 4th game since the ultimatum making it one win, one draw and two defeats.

According to the report from “his bosses” he had to win their next three games or face heavy sanctions.

The three games were against Wikki Tourists, Akwa United and Rangers and we know what happened.

Now how does he get punished?

I listened to the Permanent Secretary, Michael Nnodim and after all his findings during the investigations regarding the poor performance of the team, he stated that the coaching crew had been handed a three match ultimatum.

“We have instructed the technical crew to sit up. We have given them an ultimatum of three matches, to win those three matches for us or they will face serious sanctions,” went the Permanent Secretary of the sports ministry.

Now, three games of the ultimatum have gone by, so what does Nnodim do? How do Eguma and his crew get sanctioned?

What really is a sanction in this context, or serious one?

According to www.dictionary.com, a sanction is a provision of a law enacting a penalty for disobedience or a reward for obedience, so how does it fit in here?

Now the Stanley Eguma led technical crew disobeyed the instructions of their boss, the Permanent Secretary, who is currently the Acting Sports Commissioner, to win their next three games, so while we wait for him to come out with a law to enact this penalty for disobedience, these are my thoughts.

Stanley Eguma is untouchable

For what it’s worth, the Permanent Secretary, Michael Nnodi can huff and puff as much as he likes but cannot sack Stanley Eguma or even discipline him.

The General Manager of the club, Okey Kpalikwu cannot raise a finger against Eguma. Not even a sitting sports commissioner is willing to do that and I explain.

It was rumoured for a long time that Stanley Eguma is related to the current governor of Rivers State, Barrister Nyesom Wike. A rumour for a long time until the governor himself cleared the air in a public forum describing the coach as his cousin.

Eguma became coach of Rivers United as Dolphins in 2008 when Nyesom Wike was Chief Of Staff. He remained coach as Wike became Minister of Education and now governor of the state.

Now, as much as I know, the governor never placed an embargo on sacking or sanctioning his cousin, but in Nigeria, no one wants to be the man that sacks the “brother” of a state governor. So that is where Rivers United is, and, er, Stanley Eguma of course.

Does Stanley Eguma know that he is untouchable? Of course he does.

What possible ways can he be sanctioned, then?

If I am told to recommend, I will say it the way it is that Stanley Eguma should be sacked immediately and his assistant, Willy Udube be put in caretaker capacity until the end of the season.

But we all know that no one in the Rivers United hierarchy can do that so I have shortlisted five more realistic serious sanctions for him.

Write one thousand words:

For those of us who went to school in the 70s, 80s and maybe, 90s, when we err, our teacher will tell us to take a pencil and paper and write, “I will not make noise in class again” one hundred times or there abouts, depending on the severity of what we did.

Eguma should be instructed by the Perm Sec to write, handwritten and without the aid of technology, “I will start winning away from home” three thousand times before he is allowed to sit on the bench again. This should sort him, no?

Kneel down and hands up:

Still for those of us that went school in the days of corporal punishment, maybe on Monday, before their next home game against Katsina United he should be made to kneel down at the technical area and raise his hands up. For good measure, he should raise his hands up and be told stick out his tongue too. This should sort him, no?

Pick pin:

If the first two do not work then he must pick pin for the duration of the pre-match warm up by his team on Monday.
Picking pin was one of the meanest punishments given to us in school back in the day as it made the blood rush to your head. Maybe Eguma needs a blood rush to his head, no?

Come early for training: It is common knowledge that in his training program, Eguma does not include getting to the session on time.
At Dolphins as far back as 2001, it was rumoured that the players actually begged him to arrive on time at training the next day, especially when they had an important game ahead.
At Enyimba in 2004, Felix Anyansi Agwu and the rest of the management were almost driven nuts because of Eguma’s work discipline.
At Iwuanyanwu Nationale in 2005 it was the same thing and again at Sharks so it does not seem like he will change anytime soon.

Force him to bath and come for training early
For history of Eguma's late coming, click here
One good punishment for him would be to use the Department of State Security, DSS to force him to get to training sessions on time.
DSS operatives must be at his house at 5:30am, force him out of bed at gun point, to the bathroom and then to the training pitch on time.
I believe there will be no greater punishment for him than this.

No more pressers: It is on record that whenever Rivers United lose or draw at home, Eguma snubs the post-match conference and sends his assistant, but in event of a win, he comes out proudly, smiling at everyone.
Another good punishment for him would be to stop him from talking to the press even when they win a game at home and the management insisting on his assistant doing it.

Because the coach is king

I hear people on radio shows in Port Harcourt shouting their guts out that Eguma should be sacked.
I feel sorry for them because it is just a waste of precious decibels.
I also read people on social media arguing on why Eguma should go. Sorry sods! They just waste precious data on a meaningless argument.
Eguma will coach Rivers United for as long as he wants so maybe fans of the club should enjoy their team play no matter the poor results and performance on the pitch.

They must also be patient too.

Will Eguma face any sanctions at all? My thoughts are a big NO!

So this blog post is certainly a waste of time and data too.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

EII, thanks for posting those. Funny .... and sort of sad too.

Maybe Rivers United fans should develop a song to sing to welcome Eguma to the stadium when he shows up late, or (if the League ever sorts out a broadcast partner), the in-studio analysts before every Rivers United match should publicly discuss the odds of his arriving on time. Or position a reporter outside the stadium to wait for him to show up, and then cut to the parking lot during the match so we can watch the reporter attempt to interview Eguma about his thoughts on what has been going on in the match that he has not been watching. Somehow shame the dude into being more professional.

Since he cannot be sacked. :roll:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Watch ridiculous match officiating.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

NPFL back on DSTV, so that is a plus.

KWESE has already taken basketball coverage from them, & with the government now talking about what some of us have asked them to do for a while (withhold some of the EPL fees and Sponsorship for the local league), they know they cannot continue with their rubbish attitude for much longer.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

MFM 0 Enyimba O FT

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:NPFL back on DSTV, so that is a plus.

KWESE has already taken basketball coverage from them, & with the government now talking about what some of us have asked them to do for a while (withhold some of the EPL fees and Sponsorship for the local league), they know they cannot continue with their rubbish attitude for much longer.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Enugu II wrote:Watch ridiculous match officiating.
Is this Sunshine Stars' "tactical" plan for escaping relegation? :sneaky: