Penalty style is useless

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Penalty style is useless

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Abba?

Wtf
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Penalty style is useless

Post by Cristao II »

It is a brilliant format. Long may it continue.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Stick with traditional...if its not broke don't try to fix it..
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Cristao II wrote:It is a brilliant format. Long may it continue.

:agree:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

metalalloy wrote:
Cristao II wrote:It is a brilliant format. Long may it continue.

:agree:
:clap: Only failures or losers complaint about this.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I just dont see why people love to change something that aint broke! Can someone explain to me what this ABBA is all about? The only ABBA i know were damn good singers with platinum releases...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

It's believed there's an unfair advantage afforded the team going first with the latter constantly playing chase. ABBA supposedly levels that field. Irrespective of the timing of the kicks, one cannot legislate for the squander from 12 yards. Pathetic.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

It isn't a good idea for the goalkeepers. Imagine a goalkeeper that just saved a kick and he has to get up and save another one immediately? No time to get himself together
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

It should be used to benefit the team that keeps 11 men on the field.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Coach wrote:It's believed there's an unfair advantage afforded the team going first with the latter constantly playing chase. ABBA supposedly levels that field. Irrespective of the timing of the kicks, one cannot legislate for the squander from 12 yards. Pathetic.
And when they discover that ABBA favors or is not a level playing ground what will they do again? Stupidity is on the rise in the world as idiots keep trying to ubravel nature and fate. There is a reason why they toss the coin and ask if the winner of the toss want to kick or defend first!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Coach wrote:It's believed there's an unfair advantage afforded the team going first with the latter constantly playing chase. ABBA supposedly levels that field. Irrespective of the timing of the kicks, one cannot legislate for the squander from 12 yards. Pathetic.
And when they discover that ABBA favors or is not a level playing ground what will they do again? Stupidity is on the rise in the world as idiots keep trying to ubravel nature and fate. There is a reason why they toss the coin and ask if the winner of the toss want to kick or defend first!

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...what they need to look into and change is playing a man or more down. Penalize the offending player sent off with multiple games and some monetary fine depending on the gravity of the offense.
ABBA makes no difference, the onus of scoring and winning a pk shootout is on the players and goalies saving them.

I have figured out technique of saving a penalty.
When a player leans back to strike the ball, that means ball is going his right if a right footed taker, likewise a left footer.
But when the player's head is down and forward the ball is going to his left (across the body) likewise a left footer.
All this is a split second decision for the goalie to figure out, and decide where to dive to.
Just my take. Unfortunately I don't play anymore, I for practice am myself :biggrin:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote:...what they need to look into and change is playing a man or more down. Penalize the offending player sent off with multiple games and some monetary fine depending on the gravity of the offense.
ABBA makes no difference, the onus of scoring and winning a pk shootout is on the players and goalies saving them.

When a player leans back to strike the ball, that means ball is going his right if a right footed taker, likewise a left footer.
But when the player's head is down and forward the ball is going to his left (across the body) likewise a left footer.
All this is a split second decision for the goalie to figure out, and decide where to dive to.
Just my take. Unfortunately I don't play anymore, I for practice am myself :biggrin:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't think you ever played this game.

Also, ABBA is based on solid evidence.

Keep practicing .... maybe you will learn how to use the two left feet to disprove your theories. :D:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

oloye wrote:I just dont see why people love to change something that aint broke! Can someone explain to me what this ABBA is all about? The only ABBA i know were damn good singers with platinum releases...
:lol: Haba Oneh? :taunt:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

You people hate change. I like the idea. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

How doeS this ABBA work after the total of 4 players from each team has completed their kicks?
ABBA ABBA ...
Do they continue ABBAing till someone loses? Is it basically a game of ABBA until a team loses at a particular set of ABBA or do they revert to ABAB after a while?

I actually like this ABBA thing. Team A puts pressure on team B after scoring their first kick making team B chase them. After ABB, if team B scores both, the pressure is switched with A doing the chase now. And this emotional yoyo continues until one kicks a Thibaut and follow it with a Morata to end the game. :mrgreen:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cito wrote:How doeS this ABBA work after the total of 4 players from each team has completed their kicks?
ABBA ABBA ...
Do they continue ABBAing till someone loses? Is it basically a game of ABBA until a team loses at a particular set of ABBA or do they revert to ABAB after a while?
They stick with ABBA, even in sudden death.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote:...what they need to look into and change is playing a man or more down. Penalize the offending player sent off with multiple games and some monetary fine depending on the gravity of the offense.

Just my take. Unfortunately I don't play anymore, I for practice am myself :big grin:
mcal,

It matters, bro. This is all about psychology. It is similar to why there is a home advantage, it is similar to why constant protests by a coach and players affect officiating. It is all about psychological advantage.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Cito wrote:How doeS this ABBA work after the total of 4 players from each team has compleABBA TALKir kicks?
ABBA ABBA ...

I actually like this ABBA thing. Team A puts pressure on team B after scoring their first kick making team B chase them. After ABB, if team B scores both, the pressure is switched with A doing the chase now. And this emotional yoyo continues until one kicks a Thibaut and follow it with a Morata to end the game. :mrgreen:
ABBA is the system used in Tennis for tie-breakers. It is a good innovation to the previous ABAB format to reduce the pressure of constanrly playing catch-up by sides playing second.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

If this was to right a perceived wrong, then why not

ABBAAB?

Instead of letting one team take 4 shots, as opposed to the team supposedly going first, taking 2?
Last edited by balo on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

ABBA is good
The traditional African, whose way of thinking, have kept the continent in it's current precarious position (compared to the rest of the world) are the ones who don't like it

Long Live ABBA
If it does not work we can go with AAAAABBBBB
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

By the time B have taken their fourth, A will have taken 3.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Are there stats to back this up?