Victor Osimhen...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: Victor Osimhen...

Post by marutimon »

Another great little stint by Nwakali. Won a freekick that ended up in a penalty and then goal.

Will be starting before long. Just oozes class when coming on.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
theYemster wrote:I agree it's a disputable theory which you're free to disagree with. However to claim it's based on nothing isn't exactly true.

How many times have we heard of Nigerian players rush off to one backwater league after another for pennies on the dollar?

Even many of our most famous stars have at various times rode the pine at their clubs during the prime of their careers until their contracts ran out. Kanu at Arsenal, Amokachi at Everton, Amuneke at Barcelona, Mikel at Chelsea, I suspect Nacho would've remained at City's bench if Pep had allowed. You never hear of a Nigerian player in a club like Arsenal, Chelsea etc still striving to make it to a Real Madrid or Barcelona. Look at Alexis or Coutinho or even ordinary Oxlade-Chamberlain (for better or worse) striving to move to an even bigger club to win, despite being in a good situation. A Nigerian would be content.
Amuneke was a regular starter at Barca, until his career was blighted a degenerative knee problem...

And of course Amuneke strove to make it from Sporting Lisbon to Barca, while Kanu strove to make it from Ajax (shortly after winning the UEFA Champions League) to Inter Milan, which was at the time one of the biggest clubs in the world (in what was then the pre-eminent league, the Serie A), Taribo West similarly strove to make it from Auxerre to Inter Milan (and later AC Milan), Taye Taiwo strove to make it from Marseille (shortly after winning the French league) to AC Milan, Sunday Oliseh strove to move from Lierse to Reggiana to Ajax to Juventus and to Dortmund, Victor Moses (born in Nigeria and started his football career in Benin) made it all the way from the English lower leagues and lesser clubs to a regular starting position at Chelsea (when in fact it was arguably "easier" to have settled), and how many times have we castigated Nigerian players here on CE as "unprofessional" when they express a desire to move on and play for a bigger club? Meanwhile, players like Winston Borgade (Dutch) and Flourent Malouda (French) stuck around Stamford Bridge for a couple of seasons collecting paychecks and contributing much of nothing else at Chelsea.

Bros, one can always point to individual situations on both sides (and involving many different nationalities), but frankly only on CE that I have ever heard that Nigerians as a class are generally unambitious people (or are not sufficiently hard-working). That's just a broad over-generalization that inconsistent with reality.
I'm referring specifically to Nigerian footballers. Why would I said that about all Nigerians knowing the kinda politicians we have all plotting to get into higher office? lol

Amuneke recovered from his injury yet had to sit in the bench until he left the club. Yes Kanu moved from Ajax (where he was also a sub) at a time when he was just getting into his prime. Remember Ajax don't pay top dollars so one could argue he aspired to move on for purely financial reasons which is fine. However there as no reason for a player of his caliber to have been nothing more than a sub for Arsenal when his peer Kluivert was starting for Milan and Barcelona.

By the way I didn't say Nigerians don't make it in football. I said they're usually (more often) content. No reason why Mikel should've sat on Chelsea's bench for as long as he did when he did. He's too good of a player for that unlike Bogarde you mentioned who was a lousy defender. If he was anywhere near the quality of a Mikel you think he should've stayed on Chelsea's reserves to draw a paycheck or he would've demanded a move to a better team? He knew he was a shhit player who lucked out on a once in a lifetime deal so he stayed put. Hardly a good example.

It might be an over generalization however that doesn't mean there's no truth to it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:
theYemster wrote:I agree it's a disputable theory which you're free to disagree with. However to claim it's based on nothing isn't exactly true.

How many times have we heard of Nigerian players rush off to one backwater league after another for pennies on the dollar?

Even many of our most famous stars have at various times rode the pine at their clubs during the prime of their careers until their contracts ran out. Kanu at Arsenal, Amokachi at Everton, Amuneke at Barcelona, Mikel at Chelsea, I suspect Nacho would've remained at City's bench if Pep had allowed. You never hear of a Nigerian player in a club like Arsenal, Chelsea etc still striving to make it to a Real Madrid or Barcelona. Look at Alexis or Coutinho or even ordinary Oxlade-Chamberlain (for better or worse) striving to move to an even bigger club to win, despite being in a good situation. A Nigerian would be content.
Amuneke was a regular starter at Barca, until his career was blighted a degenerative knee problem...

And of course Amuneke strove to make it from Sporting Lisbon to Barca, while Kanu strove to make it from Ajax (shortly after winning the UEFA Champions League) to Inter Milan, which was at the time one of the biggest clubs in the world (in what was then the pre-eminent league, the Serie A), Taribo West similarly strove to make it from Auxerre to Inter Milan (and later AC Milan), Taye Taiwo strove to make it from Marseille (shortly after winning the French league) to AC Milan, Sunday Oliseh strove to move from Lierse to Reggiana to Ajax to Juventus and to Dortmund, Victor Moses (born in Nigeria and started his football career in Benin) made it all the way from the English lower leagues and lesser clubs to a regular starting position at Chelsea (when in fact it was arguably "easier" to have settled), and how many times have we castigated Nigerian players here on CE as "unprofessional" when they express a desire to move on and play for a bigger club? Meanwhile, players like Winston Borgade (Dutch) and Flourent Malouda (French) stuck around Stamford Bridge for a couple of seasons collecting paychecks and contributing much of nothing else at Chelsea.

Bros, one can always point to individual situations on both sides (and involving many different nationalities), but frankly only on CE that I have ever heard that Nigerians as a class are generally unambitious people (or are not sufficiently hard-working). That's just a broad over-generalization that inconsistent with reality.
I'm referring specifically to Nigerian footballers. Why would I said that about all Nigerians knowing the kinda politicians we have all plotting to get into higher office? lol

Amuneke recovered from his injury yet had to sit in the bench until he left the club. Yes Kanu moved from Ajax (where he was also a sub) at a time when he was just getting into his prime. Remember Ajax don't pay top dollars so one could argue he aspired to move on for purely financial reasons which is fine. However there as no reason for a player of his caliber to have been nothing more than a sub for Arsenal when his peer Kluivert was starting for Milan and Barcelona.

By the way I didn't say Nigerians don't make it in football. I said they're usually (more often) content. No reason why Mikel should've sat on Chelsea's bench for as long as he did when he did. He's too good of a player for that unlike Bogarde you mentioned who was a lousy defender. If he was anywhere near the quality of a Mikel you think he should've stayed on Chelsea's reserves to draw a paycheck or he would've demanded a move to a better team? He knew he was a shhit player who lucked out on a once in a lifetime deal so he stayed put. Hardly a good example.

It might be an over generalization however that doesn't mean there's no truth to it.
Bogarde won the Champions League and the Spanish league and reached the semi finals of the World Cup and he was a regular each time. How many games did he play at Chelsea to have been adjudged as a poor player?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bogarde won the Champions League and the Spanish league and reached the semi finals of the World Cup and he was a regular each time. How many games did he play at Chelsea to have been adjudged as a poor player?
:D

Go and look up his history. He barely played a game for Milan before they were onto him and duly tossed him. Barca signed him only because of his godfather from his Ajax days Van Gaal who threw him a bone cos he wanted to Dutcherize the team. He was a system player in Ajax who couldn't back it elsewhere. That Chelsea contract signed at a time they were trying to buy their way into relevance was a Godsend. You think Rijkaard or Koeman would've stayed on Chelsea reserves for three seasons while in their prime?

Anyways regardless Bogarde is an exception...not the norm.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

theYemster wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Go and look up his history. He barely played a game for Milan before they were onto him and duly tossed him. Barca signed him only because of his godfather from his Ajax days Van Gaal who threw him a bone cos he wanted to Dutcherize the team. He was a system player in Ajax who couldn't back it elsewhere. That Chelsea contract signed at a time they were trying to buy their way into relevance was a Godsend. You think Rijkaard or Koeman would've stayed on Chelsea reserves for three seasons while in their prime?

Still doesn't change the fact that he was a regular in teams that won the Champions League, the Laliga and also reached the World Cup semi final. Doesn't fit the narrative of a poor player.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Still doesn't change the fact that he was a regular in teams that won the Champions League, the Laliga and also reached the World Cup semi final. Doesn't fit the narrative of a poor player.
But he wasn't a regular in all those teams and Gbenga Okunowo was a regular in the Barcelona team duh.

Javale McGee, Mbenga, Josh Powell have NBA championships. Pascal Cygan has an EPL winners medal, Ruben Gabriel has an AFCON medal. In this context, it means nothing.

Point is the knew he could never get that kinda Chelsea deal elsewhere based on his limited skill set so he rode it out. Can't fault him...given the circumstances, I'd probably have done the exact same thing.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

theYemster wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:

But he wasn't a regular in all those teams and Gbenga Okunowo was a regular in the Barcelona team duh.

Javale McGee, Mbenga, Josh Powell have NBA championships. Pascal Cygan has an EPL winners medal, Ruben Gabriel has an AFCON medal. In this context, it means nothing.

Point is the knew he could never get that kinda Chelsea deal elsewhere based on his limited skill set so he rode it out. Can't fault him...given the circumstances, I'd probably have done the exact same thing.
You are correct. He only became regular in Ajax after his first seadon but was regilar in a team that reached the Champions League final. He was regular when he was first purchased by Barcelona until he had an injury. You are correct about the 1998 WC.

Anyway I won't derail the thread as we both agree on why he refused to leave Chelsea. I Just don't agree with you that he was cheap and that is not really important for this discission.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Your comparison isn't completely fair. They are probably several Argentine players from Argentina's U-20 that didn't make it to top European or South American clubs. By the way Mikel won everything imaginable at Chelsea, Taiwo had a decent career in Europe, and Obasi would probably still be playing at a very high level if it were not for injury.
kali wrote:He is only 19. Still has time. But agree with Yemsters assessment of Nigerian players. They are lazy. Not financially driven. LAZY BUMS. Look at the Nigeria 2005 World Youth Finalist top players. Where are they today?

Argentina
- Messi (4 time World Player of the Year)
- Sergio Aguero (Lead Striker Manchester City)
- Paulo Zabaleta (Man City, West Ham)

Nigeria
- John Mikel Obi (China)
- Chinedu Ogbuke (Sweden Div I)
- Taye Taiwo (Switzerland Div I)
- Dele Adeleye (Clubless)
- Sani Kaita (Second Division Finland)
- Isaac Promise (Second Division Turkey)
- Solomon Okoronkwo (2nd Division Germany)
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

A footballer is a footballer mostly for riches and a better opportunity for their families. Players born in abject poverty would prefer to go teams where the likelihood of them playing is high. If they play they earn whatever pennies they make. Most aspiring footballers do not make it. I mean there have been tons of "next" wonders that don't play where are Miroslav Koch, Marco Marin, Gael kakuta, Josh McEchraen etc ? At one time or the other these were going to be next crop of chelsea stars, they are journey men in backwater leagues( at least earning salaries ) their careers are not terribly different than our players.

The best will rise to the top irrespective of how they start but luck as alot to do with it. There are many slow starters , Drogba, Ricky Lambert, etc to name a few. I actually think players that go to "lower clubs" go there because they want to play. Playing means you could at least earn a national team pick up.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

olu wrote:Your comparison isn't completely fair. They are probably several Argentine players from Argentina's U-20 that didn't make it to top European or South American clubs. By the way Mikel won everything imaginable at Chelsea, Taiwo had a decent career in Europe, and Obasi would probably still be playing at a very high level if it were not for injury.
kali wrote:He is only 19. Still has time. But agree with Yemsters assessment of Nigerian players. They are lazy. Not financially driven. LAZY BUMS. Look at the Nigeria 2005 World Youth Finalist top players. Where are they today?

Argentina

Nigeria
- John Mikel Obi (China)
Argentina u20 produced three or four recognizable professional players . Nigeria u20 produced only one who was a bit club player for most of his career.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

kali wrote:
olu wrote:Your comparison isn't completely fair. They are probably several Argentine players from Argentina's U-20 that didn't make it to top European or South American clubs. By the way Mikel won everything imaginable at Chelsea, Taiwo had a decent career in Europe, and Obasi would probably still be playing at a very high level if it were not for injury.

Argentina

Nigeria
- John Mikel Obi (China)
Argentina u20 produced three or four recognizable professional players . Nigeria u20 produced only one who was a bit club player for most of his career.
An Argentina football prospect will be considered a better prospect at that age especially when compared to African players. To suggest mikel was a bit part player is just ignorant and stupid.
OCCUPY NFF!!