Iwobi is Mikel’s understudy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Iwobi is Mikel’s understudy

Post by waka-man »

Aina for Shehu is the only change I expect to Rohr’s lineup next week.
That’ll mean no place for the returning Alex Iwobi.
And having discovered the team’s best shape and it’s dependence on pacey wingers (Moses, Moses, Musa) and a central midfield partnership with a deeplying playmaker at its apexl, Rohr is not going to change, at least not to start.
The only role for Iwobi is in that playmaker role. And considering Mikel’s legs, a high calibre backup like Iwobi is exactly what we need.
Incidentally, I think Rohr has happened on this formation following the emergence of Ndidi and the realisation that Mikel’s desire to go forward means the need for extra protection. That’s forced his to sacrifice Etebo, Iheanacho and Iwobi and demand more width of his wingers and go with a more traditional centre forward.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Iwobi is Mikel’s understudy

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

the Iwobi I see playing for Arsenal today appears to have regressed.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:the Iwobi I see playing for Arsenal today appears to have regressed.

Another one don diagnose regression on his tv screen in just mins. :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:the Iwobi I see playing for Arsenal today appears to have regressed.

Lacking confidence? hell yeah
Regressed? nah!!!
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

waka-man wrote:Aina for Shehu is the only change I expect to Rohr’s lineup next week.
And having discovered the team’s best shape and it’s dependence on pacey wingers (Moses, Moses, Musa) and a central midfield partnership with a deeplying playmaker at its apexl, Rohr is not going to change, at least not to start.
The only role for Iwobi is in that playmaker role. And considering Mikel’s legs, a high calibre backup like Iwobi is exactly what we need.
Incidentally, I think Rohr has happened on this formation following the emergence of Ndidi and the realisation that Mikel’s desire to go forward means the need for extra protection. That’s forced his to sacrifice Etebo, Iheanacho and Iwobi and demand more width of his wingers and go with a more traditional centre forward.
Iwobi is still not ready and probably at all for that role. Nwakali is more likely
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

osita wrote:
waka-man wrote:Aina for Shehu is the only change I expect to Rohr’s lineup next week.
Iwobi is still not ready for that role. Nwakali is more likely
Aber now. I’m a huge fan of Nwakali but he’s years away. Iwobi is a European champions league player at a top club that’s sent Nwakili away to develop.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

tolahs wrote:

Lacking confidence? hell yeah
Regressed? nah!!!
@ Chief:

Worried for Iwobi. Seems to be stagnating a bit...not sharp in his movements; slow to see where the spaces are...Is this injury related?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

waka-man wrote:
osita wrote:

Aber now. I’m a huge fan of Nwakali but he’s years away. Iwobi is a European champions league player at a top club that’s sent Nwakili away to develop.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: My friend ssshhaaarraappp dia. Don't you know by now dat common sense is not welcome on dis forum? Instead, let's play Nwakali and Iwobi together and bench Mikel :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :!:

Cheers.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

waka-man wrote:
osita wrote:

You know see yourself? Who sent him away?, is the same person that plays ramzy, zhaka chamberlain etc. Some of the rubbish we have, and you believe his judgement?
Nwakali is more intelligent and will be better than ramzy. Nwakali just needs an opportunity.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

osita wrote:
waka-man wrote:
osita wrote:

You know see yourself? Who sent him away?, is the same person that plays ramzy, zhaka chamberlain etc. Some of the rubbish we have, and you believe his judgement?
Nwakali is more intelligent and will be better than ramzy. Nwakali just needs an opportunity.
Probably needs a work permit first...just saying. :blink:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Iwobi regressed? What in the world is wrong with Nigerians? Tufiakwa.

I guess people see different things while watching this game.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

maceo4 wrote:
osita wrote:
waka-man wrote:
osita wrote:

MVP for u17 will not find it difficult to get a worker permit. But currently he may find it difficult
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cally wrote:Iwobi regressed? What in the world is wrong with Nigerians? Tufiakwa.

nothing wrong with Nigerians.
We see different things....on that we agree.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

No he isn't, Kelechi Nwakali is. Iwobi does not have the intelligence to control the MF.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

osita wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
osita wrote:
waka-man wrote:
osita wrote:

MVP for u17 will not find it difficult to get a worker permit. But currently he may find it difficult
Where have you been at, Waffi had already broken it down the rules have changed and Nwakali hasn't been able to get a permit thats why he's been loaned out. He can't really get an opportunity until he gets past that hurdle.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

If the conversation is about who has more raw talent, then we can have a rich conversation.
If it’s about who is ready for big games against big teams on the big stage, like I said, abeg now! Iwobi is so far ahead of Nwakali it’s an insult to both to have the conversation.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Iwobi has a groin injury he has been nursing. Also, he is playing a new role in the team. I am glad he is now forced to work on the defensive side of his game with his role tucking in to make the 3rd midfielder.

BTW! He has not regressed, he has actually improve his all round game. The Iwobi we use to see at the Emirates, who had no idea about the defensive side of his game is gone. Today, we see one who reads it and anticipates danger. When he is not in position he runs to give cover, but the run is all about taking the best defensive position. He must continue to improve on this and his work rate to hold a place in the Arsenal team.

His attacking game is not as precise as it should be, but this does not mean he has regressed. He has improved other aspects of his game and his overall game has developed as a result.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Cally wrote:Iwobi regressed? What in the world is wrong with Nigerians? Tufiakwa.

Yes, the dude has regressed. I agree with Chief Ogbunigwe and TXJ. Dude is like a turnover machine as well. He is a tad late with his passes... even watch some opportunities for a counter, it usually dies at his feet.
Again, don't know if it a sophomore slump or something...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Waffiman wrote:
Iwobi has a groin injury he has been nursing. Also, he is playing a new role in the team. I am glad he is now forced to work on the defensive side of his game with his role tucking in to make the 3rd midfielder.
Thank you Waffi. So it is a combination of factors that make it look like he has regressed?

No?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Thank you Waffi. So it is a combination of factors that make it look like he has regressed?

No?
Yep.

Iwobi's punchiness and decisiveness especially in and around the box is not what it should be. But his work rate is way up, he actually now runs on average 2 to 3 more kms per game. But if you have a dodgy groin, it takes its toll, as you kniw my brother.

When you get into those position when you need to open your body, dribble etc to create, the pain, the niggle comes in and you are just that split second slower. You also think, in position when it was instinct cos you want to be sure and you cannot trust your body completely.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Cellular wrote:

Yes, the dude has regressed. I agree with Chief Ogbunigwe and TXJ. Dude is like a turnover machine as well. He is a tad late with his passes... even watch some opportunities for a counter, it usually dies at his feet.
Again, don't know if it a sophomore slump or something...
He wasn't a turnover machine today. He was actually the opposite. I disagree with your view, as well as TXJ and Ogbunigwe's. Like Ogbunigwe rightly stated, we are all entitled to ours. He was very sharp today from what I saw, not to mention the nice goal he scored.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

No?
Yep.

Iwobi's punchiness and decisiveness especially in and around the box is not what it should be. But his work rate is way up, he actually now runs on average 2 to 3 more kms per game. But if you have a dodgy groin, it takes its toll, as you kniw my brother.

When you get into those position when you need to open your body, dribble etc to create, the pain, the niggle comes in and you are just that split second slower. You also think, in position when it was instinct cos you want to be sure and you cannot trust your body completely.
Thanks for agreeing, and for clarifying why this is so.
Another thing I observed (maybe it is just me), is that he appears awkwardly one-legged. Not that he actually is, but while most players will "dress" the ball or even run with it with either leg, while using their preferred leg to pass or shoot, he appears to prefer to do everything with one leg.

Anyway, I wish the boy the best. Hope he overcomes his injury issues and builds on the promise we have all seen to become a much improved player. And hopefully, especially coming from a footballing family, he picks the right mentors. I think having brainless players like Ramsey can poorly influence a young player.
AFCON 2019 sweet o