SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Post by kajifu »

I have notice no Africa team has ever go to the world thinking of lifting the big price.
I think from what i have seen i might be wrong but Nigeria is the team that can make the continent proud like the 96 Atlanta.Cameroon did the same in 90 but no trophy.28 years since Cameroon make Quarter the first Africa country,i think now is the time Nigeria lead the path to be the first to lift it in Russia.
Teams like France,Brazil,Germany,Spain will be going to lift it not just take part even my beloved USA are thinking along that line and to do it in the enemies house.Russia also even thinking to keep the cup when it arrived Russia.
I say GO SE for the big price nothing wrong in thinking same goes to the other 4 teams that will represent the continent.
What says you CE fans?
Remember Brazil 2014 if not of poor officiating Big Boss boys would have knock France,then you have Germany that was nothing special just get t he right tactics which i know Big Boss would have put a stop after watch what Algeria did to them in that game.
Last edited by kajifu on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE should go to Russia for the Gold

Post by kajifu »

Also Remember Portugal no one bet on them last year to lift the cup when you look at
Italy--Conte drilled them well
France host with talent all over the park.
Germany world Champs
Spain another king of talent
But likes of Iceland and Portugal even Wales put up a shocking performance.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

If Costa Rica could take Holland to PK's in the quarter finals

Then yes Nigeria can win the world cup.

Is it likely ? No, not at all, but there is a possiblity and we have to go into it with that mindset.

World football is now full of shock results, good prep, and a little luck can carry us far.

We should be aiming for no less than the quarter finals, anything beyond that would be great and is not at all impossible.

The key is to take the 23 BEST PLAYERS to Brazil and get rid of dead weights, so that if there are injuries or suspensions we have capable replacements. We all saw what happened with the Keshi approach after Onazi got injured.

AS much as I like Rohr, and he is by far our best coach in recent times, I fear he is a little too conservative for my liking, and he may think that our squad is 95% settled.

If we are honest, even though we qualified easily from the group of death, there is still much improvement to be done to the team.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

The always thought that there was something special about the mindset of the 1990s Nigeria or the 1982/1990 Cameroon side. They believed they were just as good if not better than their more high profile opponents. They didn't defend or play like they were second best - they played like they deserved to win the whole thing.

Since 1998 and the Super Eagles I've seen this mindset only sporadically. Cameroon vs Germany 2002 was like that, but Cameroon lost to a more cynical team. Also Ghana vs Germany (2010 and 2014).

A special note also for Nigeria under Keshi - Nigeria vs Argentina and vs France were played with the intent to win. They failed at both attempts, but the effort was truely there, Nigeria did not play as an underdog and outplayed France save for terrible refereeing.

I think Mikel is key to Nigeria's mindset. He knows he belongs with the best and forces the others to do the same. Because of this mindset we need as many players as possible coming off of a great club season, so their confidence is riding high. Football is also a game of egos.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

vancity eagle wrote:If Costa Rica could take Holland to PK's in the quarter finals

Is it likely ? No, not at all, but there is a possiblity and we have to go into it with that mindset.

World football is now full of shock results, good prep, and a little luck can carry us far.

We should be aiming for no less than the quarter finals, anything beyond that would be great and is not at all impossible.

The key is to take the 23 BEST PLAYERS to Brazil and get rid of dead weights, so that if there are injuries or suspensions we have capable replacements. We all saw what happened with the Keshi approach after Onazi got injured.

AS much as I like Rohr, and he is by far our best coach in recent times, I fear he is a little too conservative for my liking, and he may think that our squad is 95% settled.

If we are honest, even though we qualified easily from the group of death, there is still much improvement to be done to the team.
Wrong approach to be aiming for Quarter final,Nigeria should be aiming for the world cup then worst case Quarter or semi.
I mean even Ghana were one step to semi 7 years ago before luck denied them a PK.Dont tell me Uruguay were a better team in that game.Nigeria can bring help for Rohr and be tactical,if it means play Jose-Chelsea pack bus style but bring the cup so be it.
I dont think Germany is that much better than Nigeria if the tactics are right and in a good day will thrash them.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

vancity eagle wrote:If Costa Rica could take Holland to PK's in the quarter finals

Getting a nice group always helps as well :) No Brazil, Italy, Croatia, Nigeria group please.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

kajifu wrote:I dont think Germany is that much better than Nigeria if the tactics are right and in a good day will thrash them.
For whatever reason Germany always look like they struggle vs African teams. Sometimes they outsmart them (World Cup 2002), scrape through (Ghana and Algeria 2014), but they always seem more uncomfortable than vs other teams.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marutimon wrote:The always thought that there was something special about the mindset of the 1990s Nigeria or the 1982/1990 Cameroon side. They believed they were just as good if not better than their more high profile opponents. They didn't defend or play like they were second best - they played like they deserved to win the whole thing.

Since 1998 and the Super Eagles I've seen this mindset only sporadically. Cameroon vs Germany 2002 was like that, but Cameroon lost to a more cynical team. Also Ghana vs Germany (2010 and 2014).

A special note also for Nigeria under Keshi - Nigeria vs Argentina and vs France were played with the intent to win. They failed at both attempts, but the effort was truely there, Nigeria did not play as an underdog and outplayed France save for terrible refereeing.

I think Mikel is key to Nigeria's mindset. He knows he belongs with the best and forces the others to do the same. Because of this mindset we need as many players as possible coming off of a great club season, so their confidence is riding high. Football is also a game of egos.
Not true that cameroon team in 82 has that mindset,that was their first world cup,even the 90 team did not but they make it tough to beat them,The SE 94 team were good as any team in that USA94 but lack that mindset and i understanf it was their first word cup.This time they should go for it,Mikel can play his Chelsea position protect the back
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

kajifu wrote:
marutimon wrote:The always thought that there was something special about the mindset of the 1990s Nigeria or the 1982/1990 Cameroon side. They believed they were just as good if not better than their more high profile opponents. They didn't defend or play like they were second best - they played like they deserved to win the whole thing.

Not true that cameroon team in 82 has that mindset,that was their first world cup,even the 90 team did not but they make it tough to beat them,The SE 94 team were good as any team in that USA94 but lack that mindset and i understanf it was their first word cup.This time they should go for it,Mikel can play his Chelsea position protect the back
I watched all three 1982 games. Cameroon played with swagger. Outplayed a top class Peru team (stolen at least one perfectly good goal) and were equal to Italy and Poland (who finished 1st and 3rd at that World Cup). They didn't defend, they came to win games. They were unlucky not to. Mbida, Abega, Nkono, Milla played like they were the best players on the field. They had such confidence in their abilities and the Poles or Italians were visibly distraught, because these noname African were playing better football than a lot of their 'stars'.

Despite Cameroon not making it out of that group I think that was the most confident footballing display from any African team ever.

1990 Cameroon got that swagger as the tournament progressed. Also Roger Milla just brought such a confidence into the side.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Gold? Are we talking about the Olympics or the WC? :mrgreen:

Seriously, if Nigeria plays a counter-attacking game with emphasis on defense first and lightening fast counters with speed, we will be unstoppable. Combine that with a favorable draw and yes, we can lift that cup.

For comparison, let us look at the last WC. If we had beaten Iran soundly, say 2-0 or 3-0, and tied Argentina we would have won that group. We could have done both with better refereeing and better tactics.

We would then have met Switzerland in the R16 - Very beatable
Belgium in the Quarters - Beatable
Netherlands in the Semis - Beatable
Germany in the final - With concentration we could have beaten them.

So we have to work on our weaknesses which are

1. Defensive lapses
2. Decision making in the last third. Don't dwell on the ball. Slip it through to the runner every time with one touch etc.

Here is an example of what I am talking about

[/video]

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

If we are serious about winning the cup, this kind of "defending" :curse: like at 1:09 of the video clip below, simply has to go

[/video]

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marutimon wrote:
kajifu wrote:I dont think Germany is that much better than Nigeria if the tactics are right and in a good day will thrash them.
For whatever reason Germany always look like they struggle vs African teams. Sometimes they outsmart them (World Cup 2002), scrape through (Ghana and Algeria 2014), but they always seem more uncomfortable than vs other teams.
That is why i will prefer a team like Germany in final than say Brazil or argentina(Hopefully Argentina miss out).
Germany dont like a team that can play physically and they have outsmart the African team they face just by tactics and luck.Most African coach failed to adjust tactics as the game goes on.
I say go to the world cup with mindset to win it.Africa is due to lift the cup.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

SE should go to Russia for the Gold
So the other times they went to the World Cup was for tourism?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Nigeria as presently constituted cannot do anything at the world cup.

Lots of preparation needed to tuned up the team. Play top friendly matches.

Many aspects of our game need work but the framework is there.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Robotnik wrote:Nigeria as presently constituted cannot do anything at the world cup.

what a load of nonsense.

WHat do you mean cannot do anything ?

SE always play better on the world stage , when we have quality pitches and more favourable weather, than we do during qualifying.

THe fact is that this qualifying series has seen the best play of any SE team than perhaps since 1994, in fact I will say this qualifying was actually better, so there is plenty to be excited about, add to that fact that we will have stability with the same coach at the helm and we are loaded with squad depth.

there are not that many teams in the world that will be able to stop this SE team if we are at full strength and playing the way we should.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

vancity eagle wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Nigeria as presently constituted cannot do anything at the world cup.

what a load of nonsense.

SE always play better on the world stage , when we have quality pitches and more favourable weather, than we do during qualifying.

THe fact is that this qualifying series has seen the best play of any SE team than perhaps since 1994, in fact I will say this qualifying was actually better, so there is plenty to be excited about, add to that fact that we will have stability with the same coach at the helm and we are loaded with squad depth.

there are not that many teams in the world that will be able to stop this SE team if we are at full strength and playing the way we should.
Why even respond to him,This team if well drilled by game to game and with fair draw the team can easily give any team a fight for their life.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nigerians are always Winning on the internet. How about we win food , water and light first!
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Nigerians are always Winning on the internet. How about we win food , water and light first!
Wrong forum.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I still think Rohr lacks a plan b...

A lot of emphasis on wing play and pace which can be countered by teams playing with a low block.....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marutimon wrote:
kajifu wrote:

I watched all three 1982 games. Cameroon played with swagger. Outplayed a top class Peru team (stolen at least one perfectly good goal) and were equal to Italy and Poland (who finished 1st and 3rd at that World Cup). They didn't defend, they came to win games. They were unlucky not to. Mbida, Abega, Nkono, Milla played like they were the best players on the field. They had such confidence in their abilities and the Poles or Italians were visibly distraught, because these noname African were playing better football than a lot of their 'stars'.

Despite Cameroon not making it out of that group I think that was the most confident footballing display from any African team ever.

1990 Cameroon got that swagger as the tournament progressed. Also Roger Milla just brought such a confidence into the side.
They were good dont get me wrong even you before the world cup will not say they are,in 82 they were a talented team,if they had gone there in 82 that they want to win it,they will have top that group but they were happy to play since that was their first world cup.They wanted to show the world they are a good team on world stage but not thinking they can go and win it all.They were average in the ANC after missing 1980 in Nigeria.After the world cup that is when they realised they are good and came in 84 to win their first ANC and beat a good Nigeria team.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

vancity eagle wrote:

what a load of nonsense.

Vanity, I understand Robotnik's trepidation. I however agree with your position. We are like a rough diamond. With the right polishing and preparations, Russia stands a good prospect to be our best World Cup. Well have to take our best 23, though. No sentiments.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Obong wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

what a load of nonsense.

Vanity, I understand Robotnik's trepidation. I however agree with your position. We are like a rough diamond. With the right polishing and preparations, Russia stands a good prospect to be our best World Cup. Well have to take our best 23, though. No sentiments.
"As presently constituted". People need to understand what this means

With 8 months of preparation the expectation is that we improve.

I am worried about a couple of things

1. We need a top goal keeper for the World cup. A team is only as strong as its weakest link. Ezenwa is not the kind of goal keeper you want to be facing against world class teams. As confident as he has been during the qualifiers he has limitations. He has decent reflexes but, there is a tendency for him to get exposed at the highest level. The defence has covered for him so far.
Watch Argentina, France vs Nigeria at the last world up I am not sure he could save top and bottom corner shots Enyeama had to save in WC. Parts of me think he will be fine or he might surprise us, but I am hoping we do not end up conceding goals we are not supposed to concede at the world cup because of him.

2. Echiejile. While experience is needed we can definitely do with an upgrade here. There have been numerous discussions about him on the forum.

3. I am not sure this team was able to complete 5-10 passes in the last 2 games. Hopefully with more matches and friendlies the chemistry of the team will improve.

4. Passing out of defence is not assuring enough. A good team and confidence of it follows from it's defenders. Ekong, Balogun and Echiejile when pressed high or put under press have been found to be jittery. More often than not they tend to boot the ball into safety but this sometimes gives the back to the opponent thereby losing possession and adding pressure to the team.

5. Ndidi/Onazi/Agu. If Rohr is think of playing counter attacking football at the world cup maybe the trio will be okay. However such one dimensional tactic will be a recipe for failure at some point. The team also needs to be able to play the possession game. This is where these 3 players are found wanting. They hardly complete passes out of the area. There is somewhat a form of clumsiness about them generally. Of course they have contributed immensely to the progress of the team and but we need better options in DM. Someone who can recover the ball in the middle but not turn it over almost immediately.

6. Do we have effective backups for Victor Moses, Balogun/Ekong?

7. Can this team play without Mikel?

8. The attack is good enough at the moment. Though I do feel sometimes Ighalo and Moses are guilty of too many touches. We should also be flexible enough to play with 2 strikers.

As we have mentioned already there is a lot of time to improve the team. On the world stage we usually deliver and the team should be fine. I hope that Gernot Rohr is not so conservative as not to address the issues I have raised. Teams that go far in the world cup are usually sound in the fundamentals, tactics all the i's dotted and t's crossed. It is not a place average technically deficient players. There is a certain tactical discipline of this side that was not present in the previous teams we have taken to the world cup. Lets hope it team can realize its potential and peak at the right time.
Last edited by Robotnik on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Scipio Africanus wrote:If we are serious about winning the cup, this kind of "defending" :curse: like at 1:09 of the video clip below, simply has to go

[/video]

See Mikel with a back pass at 7:33