SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: SE should go to Russia for the Gold

Post by Bell »

I LIKE THE IDEA THAT AFRICAN TEAMS SHOULD BEGIN TO GO TO THE WC LIKE THEY BELIEVE THEY CAN WIN

For far too long, though they might they are going there to win it, deep down they never went in believing it. The players must believe it; so must the coaches, the press, the fans and administration.

That said, I don't think the Nigerian team, and most teams outside the usual suspects, has a realistic chance of winning this WC edition. They simply do not have the quality of players and they won't be favored in most of their matches. Which should not necessarily stand in the way because favorites don't always win and the world has a habit of underestimating African teams anyway. At the same time, let's not forget that hardly any Nigerian player is the best on his team.
Bell
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Bell wrote:I LIKE THE IDEA THAT AFRICAN TEAMS SHOULD BEGIN TO GO TO THE WC LIKE THEY BELIEVE THEY CAN WIN

For far too long, though they might they are going there to win it, deep down they never went in believing it. The players must believe it; so must the coaches, the press, the fans and administration.

That said, I don't think the Nigerian team, and most teams outside the usual suspects, has a realistic chance of winning this WC edition. They simply do not have the quality of players and they won't be favored in most of their matches. Which should not necessarily stand in the way because favorites don't always win and the world has a habit of underestimating African teams anyway. At the same time, let's not forget that hardly any Nigerian player is the best on his team.
Bell
Since when been best in your club team makes you win the world cup?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Bell wrote:I LIKE THE IDEA THAT AFRICAN TEAMS SHOULD BEGIN TO GO TO THE WC LIKE THEY BELIEVE THEY CAN WIN

Bell
You need good players, but usually the best tournament team wins. That is what the Italians always do so well and makes them so hard to beat, even when they are short of star players as is the case currently. Play as a solid team/unit.

France shocked everybody and won the WC after dropping Cantona, Papin and Ginola, three megastars who thought they were bigger than the team. In their place Jacquet(the France coach) called up hard working water carrier players like Deschamps, Vieira etc. The rest is history.

That is how Egypt lashed Cameroon, CIV and Nigeria in the same ANC to take the cup. Greece won the Euros in 2004, over teams that had Zidane, del Piero, CRon, Rooney, Rosicky etc. Which one of the Greek players on that 2004 winning team can you remember today without going to google? It is all about team cohesion.

Give me a Garba Lawal anytime over a more flashy player who will not work for the team. We can win the WC if we get that concept into our skulls.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

kajifu & scipio africanus

Obviously I was suggesting that you have to have the best players to win. But your players need to be of a certain quality and I don't believe Nigeria has it now. For example, if you get 11 people like me the chances of winning are zero. If not less.
Bell
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is true that Nigeria is not among the best on paper going into this WC. It is true that we do not have all the tools that we should have to win the World Cup.

BUT, success is not always about having everything that you should have, most of the time it is about maximizing what you do have in abundance, i.e. your area of comparative advantage. A little secret in life, is that while many people may be better than you, they are not performing at their best most of the time! Few people are ever at their best.

Steve Nash once said that if everyone trained like him he would be out of a job. I remember a Math test that I took once, I didn't know everything in that test, especially the advanced questions, but I went for it anyway. I said to myself, what's there to lose? Next thing I know I am getting an International certificate.

It is always better to have more tools at your disposal, but the most important thing to EVER have in ANYTHING is belief. Having all the tools and facilities in the world, without the belief is futile.

Nigeria is not going to become Germany by 2018, we aren't going to have the academies, we won't have the training regimen by 2018, we won't have Draxler or Neur by 2018, but we will have belief. What's there to lose?

Let us go to the World Cup with the mindset of winning it. Lets see if we can get something trending on Social Media. All of our players are active on Social Media, let us get them hyped and believing they can actually win this thing.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Tbite wrote:It is true that Nigeria is not among the best on paper going into this WC. It is true that we do not have all the tools that we should have to win the World Cup.

BUT, success is not always about having everything that you should have, most of the time it is about maximizing what you do have in abundance, i.e. your area of comparative advantage. A little secret in life, is that while many people may be better than you, they are not performing at their best most of the time! Few people are ever at their best.

Steve Nash once said that if everyone trained like him he would be out of a job. I remember a Math test that I took once, I didn't know everything in that test, especially the advanced questions, but I went for it anyway. I said to myself, what's there to lose? Next thing I know I am getting an International certificate.

It is always better to have more tools at your disposal, but the most important thing to EVER have in ANYTHING is belief. Having all the tools and facilities in the world, without the belief is futile.

Nigeria is not going to become Germany by 2018, we aren't going to have the academies, we won't have the training regimen by 2018, we won't have Draxler or Neur by 2018, but we will have belief. What's there to lose?

Let us go to the World Cup with the mindset of winning it. Lets see if we can get something trending on Social Media. All of our players are active on Social Media, let us get them hyped and believing they can actually win this thing.

LOOKS LIKE...

...we're all in agreement here.
Bell
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Bell wrote:
Tbite wrote:It is true that Nigeria is not among the best on paper going into this WC. It is true that we do not have all the tools that we should have to win the World Cup.

LOOKS LIKE...

...we're all in agreement here.
Bell
Who saw Leicester will even compete for the EPL?Are you saying Nigeria cant beat likes of Germany and Brazil inh a football game?This is a competition that you play only 7 games to be champs,Did you expect last world cup for USA to make it out of that group?Did you believe Brazil at home will open yash 7-1?
Did you believe that Spain the defending champs will be out at group stage?
World cup is how you prepare and big names will not win you jack.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Scipio Africanus wrote:If we are serious about winning the cup, this kind of "defending" :curse: like at 1:09 of the video clip below, simply has to go

[/video]
If we're serious about winning the cup our players can't have the attitude that "Messi is great and I am schit." - I'm looking at you, Vincent.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

There is something truly brewing folks. All things being equal the SE will perform way beyond people expected. I am a decent student of history...When something is about to be accomplished, one person starts to believe, then two, then three.. until a significant number of people follow which creates a movement. Along the way, the nay sayers will say " it can't be done, it can never be done." But when those with the belief persist, then change begins... I saw it with Obama becoming president, years of military rule in Nigeria, Atlanta'96 SE, civil rights in 60's..
I am so elated that a decent number of Nigerians now begin to believe that we can win it. It will translate to the players.. Think about it, how come in U 17 and U20, Nigeria and Ghana always get there or thereabout yet other African countries barely go past first round? - Belief! How come an African team( Cameron) won the Olympic gold right after Atlanta'96 exploits by the SE? Belief! How come Nigeria has been to the Final twice at the Olympics? Belief!
Nigeria can win the World Cup! I know deep down in my heart we can. Is it guaranteed? Heck no! Play to win! Enough is enough of Q finals or Semi finals ceiling garbage! We can do it! We have to work hard, play as a team, prayers and some luck along the way. Oh lest I forget, we need to play the politics of the World Cup to our advantage
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:If we are serious about winning the cup, this kind of "defending" :curse: like at 1:09 of the video clip below, simply has to go

[/video]
If we're serious about winning the cup our players can't have the attitude that "Messi is great and I am schit." - I'm looking at you, Vincent.
Great game at this world cup. End to end stuff all game. Everytime Nigeria meets Argentina, fireworks are guaranteed.

The good news this time around is that I believe we have a much better squad this time around. We shall see.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

We can do it if we believe. This squad has something the 1994 squad did not not have, that is experience at the highest level, which worked against us in 94. Just like in 94, we have a team rather than a collection of talented individuals. This squad has not star player IMO and the strength of the squad is it it's collective efforts. The 1998 squad had the big names, West, Kanu, Okocha, Oliseh, Finidi etc but failed to play as a team and was also affected by changes to the coaching crew. A similar scenario played out in 2002 and 2010 when coaches were brought in at the last minute.
The current squad is settled and are now playing with more organization than previous teams and I therefore expect them to give us our best ever performance at the WC.
I am happy
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

The YeyeMan wrote:I still think Rohr lacks a plan b...

A lot of emphasis on wing play and pace which can be countered by teams playing with a low block.....
He will work on plan B but we don't know if he has one,he make Russia in a tough group just on gear one.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The only time Nigeria went to the WC thinking they had a chance of winning it was 1998.
How many of the current team could get into the 1998 team? Probably only Mikel and Moses.

Focus on realistic goals like reaching the QF for the first time. Two boring 1-0 wins and a 0-0 draw in the group phase would do nicely. Does not have to be pretty as long as they get out of the group phase.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

I have a quiet confidence that this is going to be our best WC to date. The team is gradually morphing into a very strong unit, cohesion and discipline are improving game after game and the team is growing in confidence.

We have a proper tactician at the helm, who is still looking to improve the team and awards shirts purely on merit. The NFF have upped their game and there are little distractions off the field. Sponsors are handling the finances and we are getting quality friendlies lined up. We are talking about believing we can go all the way, the above is the substance of this renewed hope.

What is even more exciting is the number of quality youngsters coming through who will build on the momentum we create in Russia..

The coach wants to achieve great things and so do the players...It's ours for the taking.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Arsenal fan telling someone to go for gold
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

kajifu wrote:I have notice no Africa team has ever go to the world thinking of lifting the big price.
I think from what i have seen i might be wrong but Nigeria is the team that can make the continent proud like the 96 Atlanta.Cameroon did the same in 90 but no trophy.28 years since Cameroon make Quarter the first Africa country,i think now is the time Nigeria lead the path to be the first to lift it in Russia.
Teams like France,Brazil,Germany,Spain will be going to lift it not just take part even my beloved USA are thinking along that line and to do it in the enemies house.Russia also even thinking to keep the cup when it arrived Russia.
I say GO SE for the big price nothing wrong in thinking same goes to the other 4 teams that will represent the continent.
What says you CE fans?
Remember Brazil 2014 if not of poor officiating Big Boss boys would have knock France,then you have Germany that was nothing special just get t he right tactics which i know Big Boss would have put a stop after watch what Algeria did to them in that game.

KPOM. Golden yrs
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

wiseone wrote:The only time Nigeria went to the WC thinking they had a chance of winning it was 1998.
How many of the current team could get into the 1998 team? Probably only Mikel and Moses.

Focus on realistic goals like reaching the QF for the first time. Two boring 1-0 wins and a 0-0 draw in the group phase would do nicely. Does not have to be pretty as long as they get out of the group phase.

Have a little faith. Just a little. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The only players in the current squad who have "experience at the highest level" are Mikel (Champions League winner), Moses (EPL winner), Iwobi, and Ndidi (who have played often in the CL). You can also include the tournament experience of Uwa and Onazi. The majority of the rest are playing in tier B leagues. The 1994 and 1998 squads had four African footballers of the year, 2 players playing for the European champions, 2 others at Inter Milan, and some at PSG, Chelsea, Real Sociedad, and Monaco. The current squad includes guys who are 2nd/3rd choice for their clubs, or who have spent the majority of their career out on loan because they cannot get into their club's first team.
Dammy wrote:We can do it if we believe. This squad has something the 1994 squad did not not have, that is experience at the highest level, which worked against us in 94. Just like in 94, we have a team rather than a collection of talented individuals. This squad has not star player IMO and the strength of the squad is it it's collective efforts. The 1998 squad had the big names, West, Kanu, Okocha, Oliseh, Finidi etc but failed to play as a team and was also affected by changes to the coaching crew. A similar scenario played out in 2002 and 2010 when coaches were brought in at the last minute.
The current squad is settled and are now playing with more organization than previous teams and I therefore expect them to give us our best ever performance at the WC.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wiseone wrote:The only players in the current squad who have "experience at the highest level" are Mikel (Champions League winner), Moses (EPL winner), Iwobi, and Ndidi (who have played often in the CL). You can also include the tournament experience of Uwa and Onazi. The majority of the rest are playing in tier B leagues. The 1994 and 1998 squads had four African footballers of the year, 2 players playing for the European champions, 2 others at Inter Milan, and some at PSG, Chelsea, Real Sociedad, and Monaco. The current squad includes guys who are 2nd/3rd choice for their clubs, or who have spent the majority of their career out on loan because they cannot get into their club's first team.
Dammy wrote:We can do it if we believe. This squad has something the 1994 squad did not not have, that is experience at the highest level, which worked against us in 94. Just like in 94, we have a team rather than a collection of talented individuals. This squad has not star player IMO and the strength of the squad is it it's collective efforts. The 1998 squad had the big names, West, Kanu, Okocha, Oliseh, Finidi etc but failed to play as a team and was also affected by changes to the coaching crew. A similar scenario played out in 2002 and 2010 when coaches were brought in at the last minute.
Is not about playing in top level,Where was Jay Jay playing before 94 world cup?Did he even play one WCQ?
This team need a manager with tactical plans and they can go for the big prize
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

To answer your questions:

1) Okocha was playing in the Bundesliga before the 94 WC.
2) Yes - he actually made his debut in a WCQ. He also scored a free kick in another crucial WCQ that helped Nigeria to qualify for the WC.

kajifu wrote: Is not about playing in top level,Where was Jay Jay playing before 94 world cup?Did he even play one WCQ?
This team need a manager with tactical plans and they can go for the big prize
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

kajifu wrote:I have notice no Africa team has ever go to the world thinking of lifting the big price.
I think from what i have seen i might be wrong but Nigeria is the team that can make the continent proud like the 96 Atlanta.Cameroon did the same in 90 but no trophy.28 years since Cameroon make Quarter the first Africa country,i think now is the time Nigeria lead the path to be the first to lift it in Russia.
Teams like France,Brazil,Germany,Spain will be going to lift it not just take part even my beloved USA are thinking along that line and to do it in the enemies house.Russia also even thinking to keep the cup when it arrived Russia.
I say GO SE for the big price nothing wrong in thinking same goes to the other 4 teams that will represent the continent.
What says you CE fans?
Remember Brazil 2014 if not of poor officiating Big Boss boys would have knock France,then you have Germany that was nothing special just get t he right tactics which i know Big Boss would have put a stop after watch what Algeria did to them in that game.

Prize Anyway good confido. i support. I believe. Letš do it
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Wow I cant believe some fans here think SE should target last 8 since they have never been in last 8.SMH