Are we the most dangerous pot 4 in the World Cup draw?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TheHitman47
Egg
Egg
Are we the most dangerous pot 4 in the World Cup draw?

Post by TheHitman47 »

Looking at the World Cup draw we are pretty much Pot 4 unless some smaller teams in Africa qualify and New Zealand qualify. That being said, would that potentially make us the strongest pot 4 team?
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Are we the most dangerous pot 4 in the World Cup draw?

Post by 100%Naija »

Ebonically speaking - y'all tripping, for real! :rotf:
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Also we should schedule friendlies against the US (preparation for teams like Sweden, Iceland and Ireland), Netherlands (Prepare us for teams like England and Germany) and Chile (prepare us for Colombia andPeru). Those teams would prepare us for a good amount of teams at the World Cup.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Pot 4 is:
Serbia / Greece, Nigeria, Australia / Honduras, Japan, Panama, South Korea, Ivory Coast / Morocco, Saudi-Arabia (New Zealand also possible)

Asia looks terrible this time around (Australia, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia)
Ivory Coast / Morocco could be strong, but they would need to prove their quality.
Honduras, Panama, New Zealand - Panama debuting and barely qualified with a minus goal difference, while we saw Honduras last World Cup round. New Zealand will just be happy to have qualified.
Serbia and Greece are the weakest UEFA teams. Never underestimate them and Serbia did win their group.

Nigeria meanwhile are potential powerhouses. So yeah - Nigeria is the one team no one will want from pot 4. Serbia a close second.
Last edited by marutimon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

TheHitman47 wrote:Also we should schedule friendlies against the US (preparation for teams like Sweden, Iceland and Ireland), Netherlands (Prepare us for teams like England and Germany) and Chile (prepare us for Colombia andPeru). Those teams would prepare us for a good amount of teams at the World Cup.
:lol: :lol: This is insane!
US will prep you for Iceland?
Netherlands will prep you for Germany? :shock:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Best possible draw:
Poland, Switzerland / Peru, Iceland / Iran / Northern Ireland, Nigeria

Worst possible draw:
Brazil / Argentina, Spain, Croatia, Nigeria

If we make pot 3:
Best possible draw:
Poland, Denmark, Nigeria, Panama / Saudi Arabia

Worst possible draw:
Brazil / Argentina, Spain, Nigeria, Greece
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Saw a few websites and all say the same thing: Croatia and Nigeria feature in any potential group of death. Without them there is no group of death.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

We will be in pot 3 if Greece and New Zealand makes it to the world cup.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Serbia is always dangerous, so I'll say that they, along with with us are the 2 sides the higher ranked teams will hope does not land in their group from Pot 4.

The interesting thing is that based on the FIFA ranking to be released next week, both sides could still land in Pot 3, which will be a relief to everyone.

So, since we can definitely not land in Pot 1 or 2, these are the teams I'd prefer we get from those pots (although we should gladly and doggedly prepare for whatever team we get).

Pot 1 - Russia, Poland or Portugal (I believe we can get 3 points from any one of these teams.

Pot 2 - Mexico, Uruguay, Iceland. Not too sure who would emerge from the European playoffs, but there should be one team we can take here.

If the October rankings push us to Pot 3, then we are likely to get a Pot 4 Asian or CONCACAF country, which in my opinion, will be better than getting a Pot 3 European country or Costa Rica, although I don't mind Iceland.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

For us to be in pot 3 Greece need to qualify and either New Zeland or one of Burkina Faso / South Africa / Cape Verde.
We know Greece can qualify, but who knows about the rest?

As for toughest teams in pots: If you draw Egypt or Senegal in pot 3, you can't get Nigeria. Likewise if you draw Serbia from pot 4, you can't get Croatia or any other European team in pot 3.

And for all we know Northern Ireland may yet qualify :)
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

This team needs to play non-African opposition and learn to play and beat European and South American opposition if it wants to win games/win the World Cup.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

marutimon wrote:For us to be in pot 3 Greece need to qualify and either New Zeland or one of Burkina Faso / South Africa / Cape Verde.
We know Greece can qualify, but who knows about the rest?

As for toughest teams in pots: If you draw Egypt or Senegal in pot 3, you can't get Nigeria. Likewise if you draw Serbia from pot 4, you can't get Croatia or any other European team in pot 3.

And for all we know Northern Ireland may yet qualify :)
Bafana blow hot and cold. Even though Senegal is stacked, you never know what a motivated team can do. The dynamics of facing the same team twice within a week is very tricky. Who expected Bafana to 'drop it like its hot' twice to Cape Verde, and then surgically take apart a good Burkina side (playing on the counter with 30% possession and going up 3-0 in the 1st half). Also Itumeleng Khune is back. He was out during the Cape Verde losses.

Pot 3 will be a lot easier than Pot 4 for us. I don't expect much movement in our FIFA ranking position, so we can get some leverage from having the 'right' teams qualify.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Projected 2018 world Cup Pots

Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France

Pot 2: Spain, Peru*, Switzerland*, England, Colombia, Italy*, Mexico, Uruguay

Pot 3: Croatia*, Denmark*, Costa Rica, Iceland, Tunisia*, Egypt, Senegal*, Iran

Pot 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia*, Japan, Morocco*, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

What happens if other nations qualify

If Peru fail to beat New Zealand in the playoffs, then Croatia would be first to move up to pot 2 if they win their playoff, and Serbia would shift up from pot 4 as New Zealand could only be in the bottom pot.

Of the European playoff teams, if either Switzerland or Italy fail to make it then fellow playoff entrants Croatia and Denmark could move up to pot 2. Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland are almost certain to be in pot 3 should they qualify, while Greece would definitely be pot 4. Sweden would be pot 3 unless other unseeded teams win in the playoffs.

The winners of the CONCACAF/AFC playoff between Australia and Honduras are guaranteed to be in pot 4, as would Ivory Coast if they edge out Morocco to qualify. While Senegal will be in pot 3, if Burkina Faso, Cape Verde or South Africa win that qualifying group they are certain to be pot 4. If Tunisia miss out on the finals, then DR Congo would most likely be pot 4.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

We are going to draw Germany in place of Argentina this time around...It's already written
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Brazil
England
Costa Rica
Nigeria
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Pot ke, frying pan ni, i just hope say we jump comot... I wan c next round.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mr Shows wrote:We are going to draw Germany in place of Argentina this time around...It's already written
Written where?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Man Ataye wrote:Pot ke, frying pan ni, i just hope say we jump comot... I wan c next round.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree my brother! They can push us into any pot, but we should aim to get into the second round.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

marutimon wrote:Best possible draw:
Poland, Switzerland / Peru, Iceland / Iran / Northern Ireland, Nigeria

Worst possible draw:
Brazil / Argentina, Spain, Croatia, Nigeria

If we make pot 3:
Best possible draw:
Poland, Denmark, Nigeria, Panama / Saudi Arabia

Worst possible draw:
Brazil / Argentina, Spain, Nigeria, Greece
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
That will be a repeat of WC2010 all over again. Nigerians worst WC ever. :scared: :scared: :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

E be like say many of una no get wetin Oyinbo dey call gainful employment. Draw never hold and una don dey panic pot and group?? Biko, dress abeg
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

deanotito wrote:E be like say many of una no get wetin Oyinbo dey call gainful employment. Draw never hold and una don dey panic pot and group?? Biko, dress abeg
Over excitement :rotf:
No be only pot, na frying pan. Soup wey follow dey nko?