Bruce Arena is USA's Onigbinde

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Bruce Arena is USA's Onigbinde

Post by 1naija »

metalalloy wrote:
Cellular wrote:
1naija wrote:
Cellular wrote:Bruce Arena is a VERY good coach.

He got the best he could from the players available to him.

How quick folks forget the $#% hole Klinsmann put them into. Arena came on a salvage mission and failed. But the $#% hole was dug by Klinsmann.
Bruce Arena is not a very good coach. In fact he is not a good coach. It's not Klinsman that caused him to lose to Costa Rica at home and could not beat T&T that was playing for absolutely nothing. That's not whay very good coahes do.
He is the BEST soccer coach in US soccer history which includes Klinsmann. His resume speaks for itself.
Took them to their highest ever FIFA ranking, fourth.
Reached the Quarterfinals at the World Cup.

He took over from Klinsmann who lost two world cup qualification games.
Unlike Amodu who is an expert in salvage mission, he wasn't able to salvage US World Cup qualification this time around.

Had he started the qualification rounds, US would have qualified with games to spare.

TnT game on the road was always going to be tough...

But the result does not diminish his pedigree as a coach or the remarkable turn around that fell short.

He had 8 more games to go after Klinsman was fired, EIGHT! apart from Mexico who lost 1, every other team in the group lost at least 2 games. Eight games to go in a group where the top three qualified and the fourth had a shot at qualifying via a playoff, in CONCACRAP, against world beaters like Trinidad and Tobago, Honduras and Panama, apparently is a mountain too high to climb? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Arena is a fossil who had no business leading a national team especially in light of the rubbish comments he made about foreign born Americans. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Nna uncle cellulite argument weak me. How is it someone else's fault that a "very good coach" according to him can only win 3 of 8 games against teams like panama, Trinidad and Tobago, and Costa Rica?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

1naija wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:
1naija wrote:Instead of him to take Klinsmans evaluation that USMNT talent pool is not as deep as Americans think and try to agressively pursue Europe and South American based US citizens for the MNT, he tried to use no name players to go to the WC. And i laugh when they try to make Jose Altidore out to be a super star.

They need to get back to the drawing board.
But I have to say Pulisic alone for fit take them t world cup o ..that kid na certified baller !
That's my point. He should have recruited 11 Pulisics instead of trying to use some MLS players. The only MLS players i would have used for the WC qualifiers are Bradley and Dempsey.

Uncle... do the USA have 11 Pulisics available that Arena failed to select? That's the problem right there. It's not as if there were better players available. The USA have a lack of talent within the ages of 22/23- 29/30. In the prime age. That's why older players and mediocre players were in the squad.

Coaching was a problem for sure. Klinsmann AND Arena played their part. Klinsmann was already on a knifes edge and couldn't afford to lose the games he did. As soon as it happened, he was always going to get sacked. Arena had time to change things around and didn't. He coached badly. They went to T&T with an arrogant attitude and they got the business handed to them. Now they can do some soul searching and figure out how to change things from the top (USSF) to the middle (MLS) to the bottom (Youth development).

This was a necessary loss for the US team and in four years I think they will come out the better for it. They have more to be optimistic about than say...the Dutch.

In fact I'm surprised more isn't being discussed about the Dutch. They are in some serious trouble in terms of coaching and player development. They are short on good players. They have few quality players and coaches and I won't be surprised if the Dutch miss out again in four years.
On the other hand, Team USA will be ok .

--------------------------------------------
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

F360 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:
1naija wrote:Instead of him to take Klinsmans evaluation that USMNT talent pool is not as deep as Americans think and try to agressively pursue Europe and South American based US citizens for the MNT, he tried to use no name players to go to the WC. And i laugh when they try to make Jose Altidore out to be a super star.

But I have to say Pulisic alone for fit take them t world cup o ..that kid na certified baller !
That's my point. He should have recruited 11 Pulisics instead of trying to use some MLS players. The only MLS players i would have used for the WC qualifiers are Bradley and Dempsey.

Uncle... do the USA have 11 Pulisics available that Arena failed to select? That's the problem right there. It's not as if there were better players available. The USA have a lack of talent within the ages of 22/23- 29/30. In the prime age. That's why older players and mediocre players were in the squad.

Coaching was a problem for sure. Klinsmann AND Arena played their part. Klinsmann was already on a knifes edge and couldn't afford to lose the games he did. As soon as it happened, he was always going to get sacked. Arena had time to change things around and didn't. He coached badly. They went to T&T with an arrogant attitude and they got the business handed to them. Now they can do some soul searching and figure out how to change things from the top (USSF) to the middle (MLS) to the bottom (Youth development).

This was a necessary loss for the US team and in four years I think they will come out the better for it. They have more to be optimistic about than say...the Dutch.

In fact I'm surprised more isn't being discussed about the Dutch. They are in some serious trouble in terms of coaching and player development. They are short on good players. They have few quality players and coaches and I won't be surprised if the Dutch miss out again in four years.
Great uncle, you are not going to find more Pulisics if you start with the mindset that foreign born Americans are not American enough like Arena implied. Imagine Rohr not scouting or playing iwobi, Balogun, Ekong, Aina and even Moses because most of them were not born in Nigeria
. That's exactly what cost them the quslification. Jones is another Pulisic that would have helped but he stayed out of the team because he feels Arena does not consider him American enough. That's not the mibdset a "very" good coach should have just like Onigbinde's tired legs mindset ruined us.

And no , i am not a believer that you have to go through adversity to learn. Great teams learn from winning not from losing.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

1naija wrote:
F360 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:

Great uncle, you are not going to find more Pulisics if you start with the mindset that foreign born Americans are not American enough like Arena implied. Imagine Rohr not scouting or playing iwobi, Balogun, Ekong, Aina and even Moses because most of them were not born in Nigeria
. That's exactly what cost them the quslification. Jones is another Pulisic that would have helped but he stayed out of the team because he feels Arena does not consider him American enough. That's not the mibdset a "very" good coach should have just like Onigbinde's tired legs mindset ruined us.

And no , i am not a believer that you have to go through adversity to learn. Great teams learn from winning not from losing.

Uncle1,
Jermaine Jones is a liability on any pitch at this stage of his career. He wouldn't have made a difference. If some of the players on that pitch were past their international football sell by date, Jermaine Jones would have been in that category with them. He's definitely not a Pulisic. He is very Gerrard like in his inability to help maintain the shape of a team.

Arena said that about foreign born Americans before he got back in the job. Keep in mind he still selected some of them during his recent tenure. There are only two main foreign born Americans who play in a quality league that weren't selected and that was because of injury. (Fabian Johnson and John Brooks). Johnson was actually called in for a few qualifiers before injury happened(again). Danny Williams...perhaps should have been called in but Arena felt he had enough at Defensive midfield. Who are the other foreign born Americans that Arena could've called in? Julian Green? Aron Johannsen? Players not playing at a high level or not getting minutes at their club?
Bobby Wood is getting minutes in the Bundesliga and contributing to his team so Arena called him in. I can't think of any foreign born American other than Danny Williams that he failed to call in...when they weren't injured.

Uncle, what cost them qualification was poor coaching. The talent level isn't great but the talent level was good enough to have qualified. The blame goes on coaching and picking the right team to take the field. The foreign born Americans not being in the squad(through injury or lack of playing time) wasn't the problem.

I guess we got to agree to disagree about going through adversity to learn(most times).
In football/soccer- one can easily point to Germany going through Das reboot after 98-02. (Understanding that adversity for German football isn't the same depths as it would be for England or other nations).
In terms of individuals one can look at Michael Jordan early on in his career and the beatings he took at the hands of the Detroit Pistons. One can look at David Beckham and how he strengthened his resolve and actually got better after 98.
I'm sure there are others too.

But true, sometimes you don't need adversity in order to learn. For some it is necessary though.

--------------------------------------------
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Just when i thought it couldnt get worse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam Allardyce is interested in discussing the prospect of a return to international management as United States coach, sources close to the former England boss have told ESPN FC.
Allardyce, who will be 63 on Oct. 19, lost the England job after just 67 days in charge in September 2016 following an undercover newspaper sting, but he returned to the game last December to help save Crystal Palace from relegation from the Premier League.

The former Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Sunderland manager has been out of work since leaving Palace at the end of last season, and sources said he is prepared to manage again should the right opportunity emerge.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/stor ... ?appsrc=sc
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16