Re: Ezenwa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The likes of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Dele Ajiboye and other goalkeepers have responded well to training”, remarked Aloy Agu.
If Rhor and that ignorant Aloy Agu know what is good for them, they should be looking desperately for a proper goalkeeper for the world cup.

Ezenwa is not a WC level GK, period!

The SE has had a chequered history of GKs, with legends like Okala and Rufai. Ezenwa is not even fit to be in the Agbonavbare basket; all pun intended!

Neither am I sold by his clownish demeanor.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Re: Ezenwa

Post by The YeyeMan »

The YeyeMan wrote:Someone had to say it about Ezenwa. I like him but under no circumstances should he be pitted against the world's best if Enyeama and Ikeme are available.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Anyone who has ears let them hear.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ezenwa is a solid backup. He will get better with more training on his technique.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This guy makes it look easy.

[/video]

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This guy is always in the right place. You don't see him diving for a ball that was going wide.

[/video]

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Exactly 8 months to the big dance and Magnet isn't fit and isn't playing ... Rohr won't even think twice picking an active Ezenwa over an unfit Vincent...
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Ezenwa might not be a strength, but he won't be the weakness that Akpeyi was. He has some strengths (good reflexes, confident) and weaknesses (small, occasional rush of blood to the head), but the coaching crew are not going to manufacture a keeper in the lab overnight. I have mentioned here that Ezenwa was not even Yaw Preko's starter in FCIU this season, but he has done well in National colours, and complemented a good (minus Elderson) Defensive unit.

Here is my review of the available GK options as posted on another CE thread. This was before the Zambia game.

Ezenwa - Should be no better than a no. 3 with or without Ikeme and Enyeama. Makes about a goal causing level error per game (mishandled easy cross vs. Cameroon at home, conceded an unnecessary penalty vs Cameroon away, did the same vs Ghana in WAFU that was not awarded). I like his confidence and demeanor, but that can only take you so far.

Ajiboye - Has done well to be very relevant over a decade after the U-17 tournament with questions over his age. Can't fault the invitation of the keeper of the league champions, but he is obviously not as good as Ezenwa, and should not be in the conversation if the house is anywhere close to full.

Alampasu - I have said it here severally. Has done nothing to deserve an SE call up. He is just an idea that people like to push around. Hopefully he improves enough to validly get into the conversation, but at the moment, should not be in the SE setup.

Uzoho, Nwolokor et al. Hopefully, we get to test one of the emerging crew in Europe, especially Nwolokor, who has a season of starting under his belt.

Enyeama - Not much more can be said about him, although he makes a goal causing error about once in 3 games. I don't think the concentration levels are where they were in the past. Definitely not as good as Ikeme, and I have been saying that since the 2014 WCQs. Ikeme's presence made him start acting up and saying he could not be on the bench for Carl was extremely low. He needs to get a club, get healthy, and get match fit.
So I don't sound like an ingrate, Vince might have had the best performance from a Nigerian keeper in a tournament to help us win the AFCON in 2013 (Arguments can be made for Rufai in Maroc 88 and CIV 84, but we won in 2013).

Femi Thomas - I think he might just be the best keeper available to the SE not named Carl Ikeme today. So why has he not been invited? Time and chance, like I mentioned earlier. Before you call me crazy, think that Okey Emordi and Kadiri Ikhana (the wily old foxes of Nigerian football) both had him starting for Enyimba. Ikhana took him to Kano Pillars, and as things go in Nigeria, when Ikhana got fired, Thomas was in limbo in in Kano. Stanley Eguma has brought him to come and 'manage' in Rivers United. Based on what I have seen, this is a keeper, like Ikeme, who is almost error free (I'll say an unforced error in about 10 games) and technically sound. He benched Ezenwa in the Flying Eagles and has had a more distinguished career in the NPFL. It is a travesty that the likes of Akpeyi are in the SE and Thomas can't even get a callup to the home based SE. I don't expect him to get a callup, but the analysis will be incomplete without his name.

Carl Ikeme - I was a Lone Ranger and subject to much ridicule on this site, when I declared him better than Enyeama around 2013/14. Youtube clips of cheap goals and references to Accrington Stanley were made. I saw this guy on loan to Boro, and it was error free keeping for about 10 games. Clearly our no. 1 if he can get healthy and match fit. Will it happen though?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ajiobye played well for league champs Plateu United this year. He is not ready for the Eagles. He is like 4th choice. Enzenwa is 3rd choice.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...why don't y'all go buy a world class goalie, for Nigeria money no be problem :biggrin:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

txj wrote:
The likes of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Dele Ajiboye and other goalkeepers have responded well to training”, remarked Aloy Agu.
If Rhor and that ignorant Aloy Agu know what is good for them, they should be looking desperately for a proper goalkeeper for the world cup.

The SE has had a chequered history of GKs, with legends like Okala and Rufai. Ezenwa is not even fit to be in the Agbonavbare basket; all pun intended!

Care to share with us your credential at evaluating WC level GKs?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thus why is Femi Thomas not being discussed here or (somehow) not being invited for trial?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

txj wrote:

Here we go again!
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Nigeria's best three goalkeepers at the moment:

(1) Carl Ikeme - Sick with leukaemia
(2) Vincent Enyeama - Injured and clueless
(3) Ikechukwu Ezenwa - Playing but raw

That is the simple reality of the situation. Unless either Vince or Carl recover and get match fit again, we have no option rather than Ezenwa.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Nigeria's best three goalkeepers at the moment:

(1) Carl Ikeme - Sick with leukaemia
(2) Vincent Enyeama - Injured and clueless
(3) Ikechukwu Ezenwa - Playing but raw

That is the simple reality of the situation. Unless either Vince or Carl recover and get match fit again, we have no option rather than Ezenwa.
Freudian Slip?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

OK. please tell us which matches did Vincent Enyeama play before his world cup debut against a strong England attack?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

completely disagree.
He is fine.
Under no circumstances should a divisive figure like Enyeama be allowed back in
Ezenwa has eared his spot as Nigerias #1.
Akpeyi is our #2 for now.
Let the friendlies and preparatory matches decide who gets to start at the wc
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Rohr has made the right choices for Nigeria so far except for the South Africa game. I'll trust his judgement above that of any of you above.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

It's not like we have a WD goalkeeper just hanging out waiting to be called. I hope Vince is able to find a call by January, till then Ezenwa should be played in as many games a possible to get a real read of his capabilities.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Odas wrote:Thus why is Femi Thomas not being discussed here or (somehow) not being invited for trial?
What stops you from discussing him here?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Well Suya didn't zero in on what the "right thing" he wants Rohr to do but he was absolutely spot on the need to have a "solid plan B", which is why I said we need at least 2 good and dependable goalies. Unfortunately, it's not easy to convert just any kind of player into a goalie like a right winger can slot into the left wing or become a wing back or a central defender can deputize as full back. A goalie is a goalie. So we can't compromise that position. The tragic illness to Ikeme is now didactic enough to instruct on why back ups should just as good as the mainstay. You know, aside illness, red cards and injuries happen. Back in 1990, Sergio Goycoechea was the 3rd goalie behind Luis Islas & Nery Pumpido yet he was in charge for 5 or 6 games for Argentina at the WC all the way to the WC final and in fact, he, not Maradona, was the difference in a very bad and belligerent Argentine side. In any case, we should have like 5 players slugging it for 3 goalie positions and 1 alternate slot. We already have Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Alampasu & Ajiboye. BTW, on the strength of age, I actually wish Alampasu is on that team on so that we can do him what we did to Enyeama in 2002 in view of the future.

FEATURES MINDING THE NET | Who should it be?
ByJollof SportsPosted on October 13, 2017

By Iwedi Ojinmah

I really like coach Rohr and it has nothing to do with the fact that he once played for Bayern Munich – which just happens to be my favourite club. I like him because he is a player’s coach and a true motivator of men to whom no detail in his overall game plan is too small. He worries when one his players does not get enough playing time with his club, and frets over possible transfers making sure they are a great fit for both player and club – sometimes even more than the player himself.

He is so keen on giving each of his wards as much of an advantage as possible, that he has even complained to Nike about the optics of the Nigeria kit. He has begged for a new design that enhances visibility on the field. So today as I write and you read, the Nike designers are already working on something new for the World Cup.

Super Eagles players celebrating on the pitch after beating Zambia to qualify for Russia 2018

Again after qualifying the Super Eagles to their sixth FIFA World Cup, he is saying and doing the right things. He will start a much-changed side, for the last 2018 World Cup qualifier against Algeria in Contantine on the 10th of November, while still taking it seriously.

This means that players like John Ogu, Oghenekaro Etebo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Anthony Nwakaeme, etc could start against the North Africans in an effort to either solidify their role in his pecking order, or be dismissed for new talent. They would also, more than likely, feature predominantly in a follow-up friendly shortly afterwards, to help lend continuity to the process of making the team deeper and better.

The German coach shared with Jollof Sports: “We never go to a match with second team, we want to win our last match as well.

“At least not to lose so we can qualify without losing any game, it will be wonderful this is another challenge but I think we will play a second friendly game perhaps in Morocco to see all the players who couldn’t play in our previous games.”

Gernot Rohr

I am not sure how this ‘observation process’ will carry over into our Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers, especially after the set back against South Africa, but maybe we could see just a little more against the Seychelles at the Stade Linite on March 27, 2018, though I won’t recommend it against Libya on September 3.

Anyway, this leads me to the reason for my write-up, namely the number one position. As I pointed out in my preview of the Nigeria-Zambia game in Uyo it is obvious to all that there is a big difference between the skill set of Vincent Enyeama and Carl Ikeme, as opposed to Ikechukwu Ezenwa. While the latter rebounded mentally well, after the shellacking dished out by Ghana in the WAFU Cup final, his performance against the Southern Africans must have coach Rohr worried. Granted not as much as the left-back #$%^ in the amour, but worthy of nail-biting anyway.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa

Ezenwa simply has too much exuberance and unfortunately mans one of the few positions on Earth, where this can count as a negative. He dives so much after almost everything, that the only time you can really count on him being still, is during the playing of the national anthems. The World Cup will need a player with the ability to contain his emotions and marry skill with on-field intelligence.

Based on this, Rohr must play his other two net-minders in Algeria. I say other two because, in my honest opinion, only they can be taken seriously. He should play one preferably in each half. This should also be done in the next friendly, though Ezenwa should be brought back into the fold as well. The last thing we need is for him to develop a complex on the bench. Now by the other two most of you know, I mean Dele Alampasu and Oladele Muniru Ajiboye. Here is what a side by side comparison between all three will reveal.

Dele Alampasu during the 2013 Under-17 World Cup

At 1.99m, Alampasu is the tallest of the trio. Weighing 78kg he also has the largest body mass and at age 20 is the youngest of the three. What is most freakish about him though is his wingspan. I am approximately two inches taller than him, and yet his long sleeve size is the same 38-39. He was called up by Rohr ahead of the Cameroon double-header and along with Chelsea’s Ola Aina, were supposedly the standouts in the Eagles’ camp. Furthermore, in the Goal Magazine survey in August 2017, more fans picked him as Nigeria’s next best goal keeper. Despite this, the FC Ifeanyi Ubah captain was given the nod and Rohr must know the reason. Regardless as to why, Alampasu has continued to build on his 2013 U-17 World Cup record (where he was voted the World’s best goalkeeper) at C.D. Feirense, where he as virtually taken over the number one spot, and has to be looked at again. He is ripe for 45 minutes at least.

Dele Alampasu in goal for Portuguese club Feirense

The third option in goal would be Oladele Muniru Ajiboye, who plays for the Nigerian champions Plateau United. At 27, he is one year younger than Ezenwa, but 4kg heavier, weighing in at 72kg. Measuring 1.85m he is also the shortest of the three. Called up by Coach Stephen Keshi (RIP) in 2013, the ex-U-17 captain, who led the Golden Eaglets to the U-17 World Cup victory in 2007 as well, has had the longest time to solidify himself in the keepers rotation, but simply hasn’t. Our rotating coach situation certainly hasn’t helped his cause because in most cases its always been one step forward two steps back when starters are identified and re-identified.

Dele Ajiboye

Coach Yemi Tella (RIP) called him the most talented goal keeper he ever coached and that alone speaks volumes. Scouts claim that he can be too hot tempered and point to Match day 14 in the NPFL when the LMC suspended him for ‘behaviour capable of inciting others’ as an example. But both at Shooting Stars SC and now in Jos, he has been a gifted and solid contributor and is certainly one of the reasons as to why United are currently the toast of Nigerian football. This certainly warrants him another peek.

Plateau United coach Boboye and Dele Ajiboye

It is not rocket science that the most successful teams in any tournament have more than one more option available. It’s called a solid plan B. Especially so, at critical positions such as the number one. Baring even a miraculous return of either Enyeama or Ikeme before the opening game in Russia, it is imperative that we need to have a solid back-up if we are to get into the knock-out stage yet alone progress to the semi-finals.

Rohr needs to do the right thing now and I am betting on him to do just that. So should you.
http://jollofsports.com/minding-net-super-eagles/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Isn't there a crisis already with Enyeama's absence? First, we need at least 2 good & dependable goalkeepers for the WC; do we have a full dependable goalie? I also see Agu's statement, if true, as crisis fermenting. Is Agu not a goalkeepers' coach with SE any more? Why should this statement be ascribed to him? Damn shame. The circumstances may be different but when Agu was SE goalie in the first round of the 1994 WC, was there a crisis when Wilfred Agbonavbare came to take over from him in the last round? Was there a crisis when Peter Rufai was installed as the numero uno for the WC in USA, knowing full well that the then coach Clemens Westerhof had had a spat with Rufai at the airport ahead of the crucial 1990 WCQ against Cameroun in Yaounde. The same Westerhof made him the first choice goalie without any crisis. I also recall that Westerhof had issues with the likes of Chidi Nwanu, Emma Amuneke, Austin Okocha, Sunday Oliseh, etc but he bowed to reason and took all of them to USA. Not only did all them went straight into the first 11 (only Okocha could be argued to be a part time first teamer) but there was no crisis. Even aging captain Stephen Keshi went to the bench. Someone who knows Agu should pls tell him to deny this horribly sorry statemen
MAY BRING ANOTHER CRISIS, SAYS ALLOY AGU
12 HOURS AGO
BY BOLAJI OKUNOLA.

Super Eagles goalkeeper trainer, Alloy Agu is opposed to the possible return for former Super Eagles’ keeper and skipper, Vincent Enyeama to the World Cup-bound Super Eagles. Enyeama’s return will make him the first Nigerian player to feature in four World Cup finals.

He was at the 2002, 2010 and 2014 World Cup events like the retired fellow former skipper Joseph Yobo. Coincidentally, both are the only Nigerian footballers to have chalked up 100 international appearances.

Enyeama had consistently in the past one year turned down the overtures from Gernot Rohr to reconsider his stand and return to the Super Eagles’ fold. The call for his return also grew louder following the initial injury that his successor, Carl Ikeme had before his current illness.

With Nigeria’s qualification for the global event, speculations have been rife that Enyeama who announced his international retirement following disagreement with former Super Eagles coach and coincidentally too, former skipper, Sunday Oliseh, might be persuaded once more to return to the fold.

But goalkeeper trainer, Alloy Agu told Sports Village Square that such calls are uncalled for. According to him, the Super Eagles no longer have goalkeeping crisis. According to Agu, Enyeama’s return will only breed fresh leadership crisis and affect the bonding within the squad.

“The current Super Eagles under the captainship of John Obi Mikel will do well in Russia. The likes of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Dele Ajiboye and other goalkeepers have responded well to training”, remarked Agu.

https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... -aloy-agu/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

In an ideal world, we would be going to Russia with Enyeama, Ikeme and Ezenwa. Tough times lie ahead guys.

No matter what good form the likes of Ajiboye, Alampasu and Ikpeye show, none of them will have the necessary experience by June next year. If you ask me, what we need are miraculous recoveries for Enyeama and Ikeme.