Morroco 100 % mercenaries

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: Morroco 100 % mercenaries

Post by chief nfachairman »

AreaDaddy wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:4 Morocco lineup in the crucial WC qualifier in Abidjan:
4 players born in Holland
4 players born in France
2 players born in Spain
Just one born in Morocco - and he grew up in Belgium

If it was Nigeria?
This is direct fromthe Jackie Charlton book of building a national team. When he built the Irish team in the 90's he looked for the most tenuous links to Ireland to build his squad.

Someone like 1Naija that loves Irish Whisky would have easily got three caps minimum :D

The strategy can work in the short term but long term success needs a proper foundation.

:bump: :bump: :bump:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

AreaDaddy wrote:
4 players born in France
2 players born in Spain

If it was Nigeria?
This is direct fromthe Jackie Charlton book of building a national team. When he built the Irish team in the 90's he looked for the most tenuous links to Ireland to build his squad.

Someone like 1Naija that loves Irish Whisky would have easily got three caps minimum :D

The strategy can work in the short term but long term success needs a proper foundation.
Short term, hmmmm..Algeria are in a similar position. ....they used similar players last time around, but this time it failed
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

4 players born in France
2 players born in Spain

If it was Nigeria?
According to the commentator, even the goalie was born in what was technically Spanish territory. Anyway it doesn't matter because Senegal did something similar in 2002. Nigeria started the trend of bringing in foreign born players yrs ago with Abola (or there may have been someone before him)
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I am not knocking it, just saying I see this a the new trend......these players will only improve CAF teams in major tournaments...
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tunisia are trying to get Wassim Ben Yedder
SuperEagles

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

There is bo guarantee here, just look what this model has turn Algeria into.
Just get your best players onto the field,that is all that matters.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oluphemmie007
Egg
Egg

Post by oluphemmie007 »

It is another form of racism/discrimimation to count people unworthy of repping the nation they identify with because of your perception of them as not being 'national' enough.

The argument can be stretched in many directions but what remains at the core is eligibility. If everyone on the pitch are eligible to claim a certain nationality, then they should be able to play in any competition for that country.

Outside sports,if Dele Alli was to be a cop killing maniac ( remember that dude?), he would be a ngerian in Britain. He is British because he can ball well.

As for repping national football cultures/philosophy, the world cup ain't about that.it is about putting people in your colors and winning the cup with them however u wanna play.
Manchester United: Trophies Yesterday, Today and Forever

This is Cybereagles...expect anything.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
airwolex wrote:So in short basketball gets a pass because it is not as big in Nigeria and we were whooped by the USA because we sent a USA team B. I hope you realize how insulting that is to all those Naija boys that sacrificed so much to play for us. I guess if we sent a local team of Islanders and Pillars it would have been a nail biter.

Dude you are being a hypocrite on this matter plain and simple. You shouldn't support the Nigerian Basketball team if you feel this strongly about this issue end of. How can you call the Moroccans pathetic and support a Nigerian basketball team that has almost zero local representation.

Unfortunately it's these vocal minority of Nigerians that make other African people not like Nigerians
. I don't know what these north African countries did to some CE folks but the racism and bigotry I've read here is quite appalling. So what if Morrocco fielded a team full of foreign born players, how is that your business?
It is shocking, imagine someone preferring DR Congo over Tunisia. When it's obvious that the DR Congo team will spend the entire world cup tournament fighting of missing salaries. CIV has been to two World cup and done nothing beyond dropping out in the group stages.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Na wah.
His arguement is completely off the rails.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in sourcing players born and raised outside the country. They have indigenous blood running through their veins and are as African as they come.
Its just asinine to discriminate against them, just because they were born and raised in a foreign land.
Cellular wrote:
Tbite wrote:Pathetic.
How so? Are they not Moroccans?

So if you Tbite, is qualified to represent Naijaria in anything we should say no to you?

When you have Australian/Naijarian kids and they want to represent their fatherland, you will be okay people discriminating against them because they are not Naijarian enough...not born and raised in Naijaria and both of their parents are not Naijarians?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I've met a lot of idiots in my lifetime , but some folks here take idiocy to a whole new level of legendary smh...
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

I hope Nigeria never over do it to this extent. Foreign born Nigerian should play for the SE if they are good enough, but when almost the entire starting 11 are born overseas then it is a problem.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

ogasir wrote:I hope Nigeria never over do it to this extent. Foreign born Nigerian should play for the SE if they are good enough, but when almost the entire starting 11 are born overseas then it is a problem.
A problem for who?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
ogasir wrote:I hope Nigeria never over do it to this extent. Foreign born Nigerian should play for the SE if they are good enough, but when almost the entire starting 11 are born overseas then it is a problem.
A problem for who?

can you please repeat the question? Maybe you should make it bold/caps so that they don't pretend not to see it.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
A problem for who?

can you please repeat the question? Maybe you should make it bold/caps so that they don't pretend not to see it.
A problem for the 180m plus Nigerians, living and toiling in Nigeria and been represented by "Nigerians" who dont know where Nigeria is on the MAP!!!! Nigeria, Senegal etc, all na Africa for them.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

BP was actually making sense by being sarcastic in opening the thread.

Selecting the best players available to the team is largely mutually exclusive from developing the local league.

A domestic Moroccan club just won the CAF Champions league, yet the coach & FA have gone after the best available players for the National team.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

The YeyeMan wrote:
A problem for who?
A problem for young homegrown players
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

ogasir wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
A problem for who?
A problem for young homegrown players
How?

If the best players available to the team are picked, then there is no problem.

I don't think we had a foreign born player in our 94, 98 and 2002 WC teams, yet most of these homegrown players had found their way abroad by the time those WCs came around. If the foreign born children of Nigerian citizens want to play for the National team, and they are good enough, there should be no additional barriers put in front of them.

If they are the best available in their positions, they can only improve the team.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

And Team still looked average
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

truetalk wrote:BP was actually making sense by being sarcastic in opening the thread.

Selecting the best players available to the team is largely mutually exclusive from developing the local league.

A domestic Moroccan club just won the CAF Champions league, yet the coach & FA have gone after the best available players for the National team.

why you dey release expo?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

If they are Morrocan heritage, they are Morrocan, not mercenaries.
You cannot fault them and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to represent their Father/Mother land.

That said, there is a price to pay for building a squad with no local talent. First of all, it means continental championships such as CAF will be much harder to succeed in.
Secondly, local legueas and grassroot football will remain under-developed.
It is just not a sustainable strategy in the longterm.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

This is to be expected. The proximity of Morocco to Europe and the tendency to migrate creates such an environment. Just take a look at the map of Morocco in relation to Spain for instance.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
A problem for who?

A problem for the 180m plus Nigerians, living and toiling in Nigeria and been represented by "Nigerians" who dont know where Nigeria is on the MAP!!!! Nigeria, Senegal etc, all na Africa for them.

You keep making this argument of these kids not knowing where Nigeria is on the map. Have you seen some of the funny videos online where people on the street were asked to show Nigeria on a map, I am talking about the street of a Nigerian city and guess what? Most failed! Though the videos were edited to show the most hilarious. :D .

Anyways my point is, you are not doing justice to your point of view by making blanket statements. There are mercenaries, true that. There are also kids of Nigerian parentage who rep Nigeria because they feel an attachment to the country. They also feel an attachment to countries of their birth and they shouldn't be criticized for that.

What matters is the best of all eligible players are selected.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I have no problem with it.
After all Belgium and France have a bunch of Africans and Spaniards in their team! Switzerland have a bunch of Albanians and Kosovans, and half the Albanian team are Swiss citizens!