Only the dishonest will say we are better than Senegal or SA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Only the dishonest will say we are better than Senegal o

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:Been away from the web all weekend...

This is the most comical thread I've met on this site yet...Ayo Akinfe must be trolling, no? :???: :???:

I don't know which game Ayo Akinfe watched but the game in Polokwane on Friday night says:
Senegal needs plenty of improvement before Russia (the quality that is clearly present needs harnessing)
SAfrica has absolutely no business going to Russia...

On Algeria v Nigeria:
It was a dead rubber on an atrocious pitch, yet: out-of-possession work...use of space...physical application...use of turn-overs...
...were miles better than SAfrica v Senegal...

John Ogu's strike alone was worth the match ticket...(in Polokwane players were scuffing shots & skying chances from 10 yards)

Football is much more than cute triangles and cute touches...
Which team looked better to you? Nigeria or Senegal? be honest.
Read my comment.

Lets just say I no fear that Senegal side wey I watch last Friday and I've watched that Friday game thrice...
(I've watched Algeria v Nigeria game more than thrice...)

Oya, next question...
Na which time we go start to pass the ball? All this one wey we just dey thump ball to nowhere no dey worry you?
That pitch na potato patch. Which kind pass you fit complete for there?

I no dey judge national team merely on qualifying games (insufficient training programs)

Judge Rohr's Eagles during tournaments which offers reasonable time for training (like Russia 2018)

I watched the "bench-mark" Westerhof 1994 SEagles struggle with fluency all through qualification games (AFCON94 Qualifiers & WCup Qualifiers)
Indeed, the last 94WCQ games v CIV (home) & Algeria (away) almost gave me heart-attacks...

Yet, there are decipherable signs if you look objectively enough...the flashes of lightning attacks (Westerhof's SEagles)...the restriction of goal opportunities created from open play by opposition (Rohr's SEagles)...

Algeria created a million chances in the home ties v Zambia & Cameroun, but were profligate (especially against Zambia)... Last Friday, against a Nigeria side missing 4 key players, Algeria (with all their glittering attacking talent) created zilch from open play (Ezenwa gifted them all their chances)

You really think this Algeria side are really poor? No. They merely suffered in a difficult group...
Whenever the Eagles take to the field (Or any other team for that matter), what I am always looking for is how they perform in midfield. How well a team passes the ball, keeps retention goes a long way to telling you how well they will fair in a match.

If you keep hold of the ball, you give yourself less defending to do, offer the opposition less scoring chances and make life generally easier. I remember Ron Atkinson once saying that when he started his managerial career he was told: "Whenever things are not working well, always look to midfield, midfield, midfield. There is normally where the problem is."

My point is that if you have three players who can hold on to the ball, pass it and find a team mate whenever they release it in midfield, you will by and large play well, whatever the state of the pitch. Having a striker who can hold the ball up as a bonus then makes the game half won.

In 2006, the Kenkey Bredas lost 0-2 to Germany and 0-3 to Brazil but boy, did they pass the ball in that tournament. I cannot fault them for losing both games because they retained possession brilliantly. They just did not have enough talent to finish off the job.

In 2006, Ivory Coast passed the ball superbly too despite losses to Brazil and Holland. You say the pitch was poor in Constantine but was in poor in Uyo too?

Let us call a spade a spade man mi. If Croatia can pass the ball well in their qualifiers, why can't we?
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Na which time we go start to pass the ball? All this one wey we just dey thump ball to nowhere no dey worry you?

I no dey judge national team merely on qualifying games (insufficient training programs)

Judge Rohr's Eagles during tournaments which offers reasonable time for training (like Russia 2018)

I watched the "bench-mark" Westerhof 1994 SEagles struggle with fluency all through qualification games (AFCON94 Qualifiers & WCup Qualifiers)
Indeed, the last 94WCQ games v CIV (home) & Algeria (away) almost gave me heart-attacks...

Yet, there are decipherable signs if you look objectively enough...the flashes of lightning attacks (Westerhof's SEagles)...the restriction of goal opportunities created from open play by opposition (Rohr's SEagles)...
Whenever the Eagles take to the field (Or any other team for that matter), what I am always looking for is how they perform in midfield. How well a team passes the ball, keeps retention goes a long way to telling you how well they will fair in a match.

If you keep hold of the ball, you give yourself less defending to do, offer the opposition less scoring chances and make life generally easier. I remember Ron Atkinson once saying that when he started his managerial career he was told: "Whenever things are not working well, always look to midfield, midfield, midfield. There is normally where the problem is."

My point is that if you have three players who can hold on to the ball, pass it and find a team mate whenever they release it in midfield, you will by and large play well, whatever the state of the pitch. Having a striker who can hold the ball up as a bonus then makes the game half won.

In 2006, the Kenkey Bredas lost 0-2 to Germany and 0-3 to Brazil but boy, did they pass the ball in that tournament. I cannot fault them for losing both games because they retained possession brilliantly. They just did not have enough talent to finish off the job.

In 2006, Ivory Coast passed the ball superbly too despite losses to Brazil and Holland. You say the pitch was poor in Constantine but was in poor in Uyo too?

Let us call a spade a spade man mi. If Croatia can pass the ball well in their qualifiers, why can't we?
Na wa for you o...

I dey tell you say qualification games no be yardstick to judge team, you dey give me history lesson about tournament proper...

Which world cup tournament wey we no pass ball well?

You really believe Rohr's team no go fit play chess for field in Russia after 1 month training camp? Take time o...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Whenever the Eagles take to the field (Or any other team for that matter), what I am always looking for is how they perform in midfield. How well a team passes the ball, keeps retention goes a long way to telling you how well they will fair in a match.

Yes, it was poor (feel free to revisit the actual game thread)....

Nonetheless, what exactly would any rational person find admirable in passing the ball around and losing 0-2 and 0-3? Unfortunately, it’s this sort of shallow mentality that led to some of our forefathers being sold for cheap trinkets. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Na wa for you o...

I dey tell you say qualification games no be yardstick to judge team, you dey give me history lesson about tournament proper...

You really believe Rohr's team no go fit play chess for field in Russia after 1 month training camp? Take time o...
I assume you have been watching some of the European play-offs over the last few days. How come Croatia have been able to pass the ball well? They have not been in camp for a month and are not at the World Cup proper!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Whenever the Eagles take to the field (Or any other team for that matter), what I am always looking for is how they perform in midfield. How well a team passes the ball, keeps retention goes a long way to telling you how well they will fair in a match.

Nonetheless, what exactly would any rational person find admirable in passing the ball around and losing 0-2 and 0-3? Unfortunately, it’s this sort of shallow mentality that led to some of our forefathers being sold for cheap trinkets. SMDH

IO give up on you Gotti. Have you ever heard of the phrase: "The boys gave all they had?"

Well, that is exactly what happened with Ghana in 2006. They played to the maximum of their ability but were conquered by superior firepower.

This happens in every walk of life. Overwhelming odds can spell defeat whatever you do.

My point will be understandable to most averagely intelligent people. Our team needs to up its game significantly. i do not think that is hard to fathom!
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Na wa for you o...

I assume you have been watching some of the European play-offs over the last few days. How come Croatia have been able to pass the ball well? They have not been in camp for a month and are not at the World Cup proper!
Ok. That puts to rest the Ghana & CIV argument, abi?
For Croatia...Carry Croatia go Uyo or Algeria, nah...Make we see their pass completion rate...
- Bill Shankly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Na wa for you o...

Ok. That puts to rest the Ghana & CIV argument, abi?
For Croatia...Carry Croatia go Uyo or Algeria, nah...Make we see their pass completion rate...
From what I saw, many of these average European teams like Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, etc would beat Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria with ease. Croatia would easily put four past the Kenkey Bredas with Modric tearing their defence to shreds.

Did you watch any of the South American qualifiers? From what I saw, teams like Peru, Chile, Paraguay and Ecuador would easily have qualified were in Africa. You saw Morocco and Ivory Coast yesterday, does either of them look half as good as Chile to you?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Na wa for you o...

Funny enough even with the bad pitch, we had more possession than the Algerians.

But wAyo is a closet Arsenal fan... counting possession, throwins, corner-kicks... :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Gotti wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Bros, abegi count me among the 'dishonest'...
In a game that we had NOTHING to play for, on an atrocious pitch, we still did a professional job.
I wonder how Ayo conveniently missed this
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Did we ever string five passes together in the 90 minutes?
Is that the criteria to qualify for the world cup?
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Did we ever string five passes together in the 90 minutes?
Despite the poor pitch we did. Result is based on goals scored and performance is not limited to string of passes.
We even had better ball possession - 54%
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
From what I saw, many of these average European teams like Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, etc would beat Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria with ease. Croatia would easily put four past the Kenkey Bredas with Modric tearing their defence to shreds.

Did you watch any of the South American qualifiers? From what I saw, teams like Peru, Chile, Paraguay and Ecuador would easily have qualified were in Africa. You saw Morocco and Ivory Coast yesterday, does either of them look half as good as Chile to you?
This na over-flogged debate...Na bobos like you dey give Africa football a bad name...

Medium-power European sides would always struggle against top African teams...the gulf between Europe & Africa isn't as wide as 40 yrs ago...

Algeria would beat Switzerland...
Cameroun would beat Denmark...
Nigeria would beat every of those nations mentioned above...

Chile is a top side...but Morocco, CIV, Ghana, etc would eat Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru , etc for dinner...
Your Peru is even currently struggling to handle minnows NZealand in their WC Play-off (0-0 1st leg)...

Feel free selecting results where African sides "under-performed" due to off-field factors, like match-bonuses wahala...

Algeria beat Germany 2-1 (WC82)
Nigeria thumped Bulgaria 3-0 (WC94); beat Spain 3-2 (WC98)...
Senegal beat France 1-0 (WC02)
Ghana hammered Czech Republic 3-0 (WC06)...

If the above selected results no convince you say Africa is no longer totally inferior to Europe, nothing shall...
- Bill Shankly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Na so me I sabi say eagles dey play, even of na friendly:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

This na over-flogged debate...Na bobos like you dey give Africa football a bad name...

Medium-power European sides would always struggle against top African teams...the gulf between Europe & Africa isn't as wide as 40 yrs ago...

Algeria would beat Switzerland...
Cameroun would beat Denmark...
Nigeria would beat every of those nations mentioned above...

Chile is a top side...but Morocco, CIV, Ghana, etc would eat Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru , etc for dinner...
Your Peru is even currently struggling to handle minnows NZealand in their WC Play-off (0-0 1st leg)...

Feel free selecting results where African sides "under-performed" due to off-field factors, like match-bonuses wahala...

Algeria beat Germany 2-1 (WC82)
Nigeria thumped Bulgaria 3-0 (WC94); beat Spain 3-2 (WC98)...
Senegal beat France 1-0 (WC02)
Ghana hammered Czech Republic 3-0 (WC06)...

If the above selected results no convince you say Africa is no longer totally inferior to Europe, nothing shall...

Wetin happen di last time Cameroon and Denmark meet?
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

I guess south Africa and Senegal are also better than Argentina
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Yujam and Ayo.........................Pass the dutchie on the left hand side. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

smartbrother wrote:I guess south Africa and Senegal are also better than Argentina
In the first half we were utter rubbish. Our team they qualified for the World Cup would have been beaten 5-0 by Argentina. We only won today because of the new boys brought in. Take off Uzoho, Ebuehie and Idowu and watch us get hammered!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:I guess south Africa and Senegal are also better than Argentina
In the first half we were utter rubbish. Our team they qualified for the World Cup would have been beaten 5-0 by Argentina. We only won today because of the new boys brought in. Take off Uzoho, Ebuehie and Idowu and watch us get hammered!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gotti wrote:

Kaiii!! the guy even call am trinket! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The African has always like "shiny shiny things" that have no value. chei!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I don’t know why anybody even debates with Ayo . this bobo thinks Sola Ameobi is world class all because he scored one goal against Italy in a meaningless friendly that 9ja did not win & because he was a sub @ Newcastle in the EPL.The bobo thinks everything European is superior to anything African. I have come across anyone as narrow minded as this bobo and his limited views.