I would like to see Ekong and Balogun tested against pace

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: I would like to see Ekong and Balogun tested against pac

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

green4life wrote:The key is the organization and discipline of the midfield shield in front of the CBs more so than the pace of those CBs. As Chelsea has shown recently, no matter how much pace Luiz and Azpilcueta have, they will struggle against strikers from Crystal Palace, Bournemouth and Watford talkless of Man City if the midfield shield lacks coordination (due to Kante missing). Naija doesn't have Kante but we have Ndidi, Onazi and other options on the bench. They should suffice to mitigate any concerns about the pace of our CBs.

The defensive shield in front of you is not going to deal with the ball over the top. When the fullback launches a long ball to his striker, you need centrebacks who can deal with the matter. If a pacy striker hangs on their shoulders, can Ekong and Balogun deal with it?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We now know that Leon Balogun lacks pace. Against quick strikers, he will be shown a clean pair of heels.

As you can now see, we did not find out enough about our players during the qualification rounds. Only the naive believed that Swaziland, Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria provided a stern enough test for our boys. Well I have news for you, come Russia 2018, Balogun will be facing sterner tests than Abuobacar, Slimani and Masumba!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:We now know that Leon Balogun lacks pace. Against quick strikers, he will be shown a clean pair of heels.

As you can now see, we did not find out enough about our players during the qualification rounds. Only the naive believed that Swaziland, Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria provided a stern enough test for our boys. Well I have news for you, come Russia 2018, Balogun will be facing sterner tests than Abuobacar, Slimani and Masumba!

Please name these sterner strikers. Thanks.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:We now know that Leon Balogun lacks pace. Against quick strikers, he will be shown a clean pair of heels.

Lionel Messi
Jesus Gabriel
Harry Kane
Diego Costa
Timo Werner
Romanu Lukaku
Luiz Suarez
Cristiano Ronaldo
Olivier Giroud
Mario Manzukic
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo,

The pace issue had been pointed out even before today by others as well. However, it had been well accounted for by Rohr who played the CDs further back and with introducing a strong second DM when Ndidi came aboard as starter. That was not the only issue, several others have also pointed out the discomfort that both Balogun and Ekong have passing the ball out of defense. These were known. Further the Algeria game showed Aina's issues contesting balls in the air. Look there are weaknesses but other teams have their own weaknesses as well. It does not mean the SE is bad because of these issues.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Lionel Messi
Jesus Gabriel
Harry Kane
Diego Costa
Timo Werner
Romanu Lukaku
Luiz Suarez
Cristiano Ronaldo
Olivier Giroud
Mario Manzukic
Thank you very much. Please since your comment was about “quick strikers showing them a clean pair of heels, kindly tell us about the pace of Suarez, Jesus, Kane, Giroud :lol: and Mandzukic :lol:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote:

Ayo,

The pace issue had been pointed out even before today by others as well. However, it had been well accounted for by Rohr who played the CDs further back and with introducing a strong second DM when Ndidi came aboard as starter. That was not the only issue, several others have also pointed out the discomfort that both Balogun and Ekong have passing the ball out of defense. These were known. Further the Algeria game showed Aina's issues contesting balls in the air. Look there are weaknesses but other teams have their own weaknesses as well. It does not mean the SE is bad because of these issues.

Bro, lack of pace is not a problem. David Luiz is lacy but he is a dafty! Then you have the likes of terry, pique and others who had amazing careers without blinding pace. Defending is more about positional discipline and Football is about team! No matter how slow your defenders are, your well cos trusted DM will make them look like Ben Johnson

After all mascherano and otamendi are very fast and world clas, yet, 2
Small children made them look like moronss :lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Ayo,

Bro, lack of pace is not a problem. David Luiz is lacy but he is a dafty! Then you have the likes of terry, pique and others who had amazing careers without blinding pace. Defending is more about positional discipline and Football is about team! No matter how slow your defenders are, your well cos trusted DM will make them look like Ben Johnson

Bro,

No one claims pace is the only quality that you need. However, it is one of the important qualities. Positional knowledge does not solve all problems in football. With positional knowledge combined with poor pace, you will be exposed.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Ayo,

Bro,

No one claims pace is the only quality that you need. However, it is one of the important qualities. Positional knowledge does not solve all problems in football. With positional knowledge combined with poor pace, you will be exposed.
Rohr needs to try out a few more centrebacks. He needs complete players if he is serious about winning the World Cup.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Lionel Messi
Jesus Gabriel
Harry Kane
Diego Costa
Timo Werner
Romanu Lukaku
Luiz Suarez
Cristiano Ronaldo
Olivier Giroud
Mario Manzukic
I'm not sure I agree that these guys have pace.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

theYemster wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Lionel Messi
Jesus Gabriel
Harry Kane
Diego Costa
Timo Werner
Romanu Lukaku
Luiz Suarez
Cristiano Ronaldo
Olivier Giroud
Mario Manzukic
TBH apart from Messi and maybe Ronaldo nobody there has blistering pace.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

airwolex wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Lionel Messi
Jesus Gabriel
Harry Kane
Diego Costa
Timo Werner
Romanu Lukaku
Luiz Suarez
Cristiano Ronaldo
Olivier Giroud
Mario Manzukic
TBH apart from Messi and maybe Ronaldo nobody there has blistering pace.
Lukaku, Costa and Kane are quick but they are strong as well which makes it difficult to get the ball off them.
Timo Werner is also very quick

But to list Giroud and Manzudkic as pacy forwards...?? :blink: :blink:
YNWA
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Heavy D, we need to see Balogun and Ekong handle these kind of forwards. Yesterday, Argentina ran riot in the first half.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Yeah but it was obvious they were getting used to the new system.

I was really impressed by the defensive discipline the whole team showed in the second half. There were some over robust tackles which would have drawn yellow cards in a competitive game but the boys can learn from that

Troost Ekong was particularly impressive, blocking, heading and matching the Argentine forwards for pace. Must be one of the best defensive displays I have seen from the eagles for a long long time. Very encouraging
YNWA
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

heavyd wrote:Yeah but it was obvious they were getting used to the new system.

I was really impressed by the defensive discipline the whole team showed in the second half. There were some over robust tackles which would have drawn yellow cards in a competitive game but the boys can learn from that

Troost Ekong was particularly impressive, blocking, heading and matching the Argentine forwards for pace. Must be one of the best defensive displays I have seen from the eagles for a long long time. Very encouraging

I can understand them getting used to the system and having to get to grips with how they cope with the balls into the channels. In the first half, that was our main undoing. No one knew what to do when the ball was played behind the wingbacks and Balogun and Awaziem were struggling everytime they were isolated.

Ekong was not so exposed because he was in the middle. However, system or not, I was worried about the way Balogun did not have the pace to keep up whenever he was isolated. If you also look at their second goal, I and still wondering how Aguero got to the ball ahead of Ekong and Awaziem.