Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Post by Enugu II »

There is a lot of talk about the Akpeyi error. What was that error? We do know there was one because the SE was punished for it. But what exactly was the error? Ley's learn from you. As for me my opinion is below.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Post by Enugu II »

I believe pinpointing the error is not easy. Here are two situations that I would like to point to:

1). Akpeyi believed that Di Maria had been called for off sides. Possibly, the LM raised a flag (Don't know since the cameras did not show this) but even then he should have confirmed it if the referee whistled. Here, I assume the referee did none of that. Nevertheless, Akpeyi makes the assumption (error) and picks up the ball and places it for a free kick outside the box. But Aguero (noticing that there was no whistle) challenges and Akpeyi, instead of kicking away, proceeds to pick up the ball in protest that Aguero had not given the required 10-yard space for the supposed free kick. The referee then calls a foul on Akpeyi for handling outside the box but does not give an expected caution for deliberate handling.

2) The commentators claimed (That is what I thought I also heard) that Akpeyi picked up the ball after the referee had whistled for the game to be re-started. This I do not believe. However, if he did, why was there no whistle on Aguero for violating the space required for the free kick?

The above are just my interpretation. What are yours?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

One of the first things we are taught in football is play to the whistle. You do not pick up the ball just because you see a flag raised.

In the stadium there are whistles everywhere self, so you have to make sure you are responding to the right one. As per Akpeyi, everyone has had enough of him, so this was really the last straw. If Uzoho made that kind of mistake the fans would be prepared to forgive him but no one wants to see Akpeyi near our team again.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi...

Post by Waffiman »

E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.
The way the commentators laughed at him was soooooo embarrassing, I'm sure the Argies were thinking this is going to be such an easy game, these dullards don't even know the rules :oops:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Waffiman wrote:E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

Banega took the freekick.

I agree wholly with you. If a goalie like Akpeyi who has been kicking about for a while is making errors like that, he has no business being in the NT. Those are not things you learn at national level.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Rohr needs to be read the riot act. He cannot keep embarrassing us by fielding such players. How won't they think we Africans are primitive savages who do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the game when the likes of Akpeyi are playing for our national team.

This was the last time I saw an African player do something similar on the international stage:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Didn't watch the game live but I just finished watching it and I don't see why everybody wants Akpeyi's head. Yes,he made that mistake but I see it as a freak error that had more to do with nerves than being stupid. He did ok
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Waffi,

On the error above, I think the highlighted took place because he thought it was a free kick. In such a case there is no rule that prevents you from placing the ball with your hands. In fact, in his mind he probably was wondering why there is no call about "Aguero not giving him the requisite 10 yards." The major error is therefore not playing to the whistle which then, predictably, led to the subsequent ones.

On the free kick: Actually, I think Akpeyi's positioning in the free kick was poorly interpreted by the commentators, IMHO. However, I agree that he did not take control positioning the wall if I recall correctly.

On positioning. This is my thought (I may be giving him credit but I do so because he is an experienced goalie): He covered the far side away from the wall which would have meant (in his mind) that the kicker would aim to hit above the wall for goal. Thus, at the last moment, he believes that this is the kicker's option and that he would make a quick move to the other side where he expects the ball in order to make a surprising save. Unfortunately, the kicker fails to take the bait and drives the ball to the space that he had just vacated. Though unconventional, some goalies make choices like this. Recall Nigeria's Garba Lawal goal against Spain in 1998 where the goalie anticipates a cross and makes a move but Lawal, instead, choose to shoot. Also, note Claudio Taffarell's antics on pks where he chooses not to position himself at the center of the goal but to one side to force the kicker to have just one option. The point is that such cat and mouse play is in fact part of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Akpeyi lost that free kick sequence. Note the choice of the Argentina goalie on Kelechi's free kick. He chooses the conventional, which meant he was late to get the ball because Kele chooses to go over the wall instead.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Didn't watch the game live but I just finished watching it and I don't see why everybody wants Akpeyi's head. Yes,he made that mistake but I see it as a freak error that had more to do with nerves than being stupid. He did ok
Nerves in a friendly at this level? Haba bro fear God now...I defended Akpeyi when everyone pounced on him after the South African game but the bobo no do well yesterday at all at all...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Didn't watch the game live but I just finished watching it and I don't see why everybody wants Akpeyi's head. Yes,he made that mistake but I see it as a freak error that had more to do with nerves than being stupid. He did ok
The bit of the game i watched , walahi i was pleading forgiveness for a number of people whose commentaries i followed. The way they were abusing the guy (they forced me to join sef :D ), i thought everytime the ball came to Akpeyi, he got beaten.

See me see trouble i checked only to see the poor guy actually making saves and blocking shots, none of which the wailers failed to acknowledge. I have come to the conclusion, that in this world, if you have bad luck that makes people to hate you, it does not matter how many positives you have, they would only see the negative, in fact they would wait hours, days, months, years even centuries papa just to record that one error which they would use against you.

Akpeyi might not be good enough, but there is a bias against him from the fans, he is one of those players that can never do anything that fans will appreciate...good luck to him sha...poor Akpere...oops i mean Akpeyi, see what peer pressure has done to poor me
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
The bit of the game i watched , walahi i was pleading forgiveness for a number of people whose commentaries i followed. The way they were abusing the guy (they forced me to join sef :D ), i thought everytime the ball came to Akpeyi, he got beaten.

See me see trouble i checked only to see the poor guy actually making saves and blocking shots, none of which the wailers failed to acknowledge. I have come to the conclusion, that in this world, if you have bad luck that makes people to hate you, it does not matter how many positives you have, they would only see the negative, in fact they would wait hours, days, months, years even centuries papa just to record that one error which they would use against you.

Akpeyi might not be good enough, but there is a bias against him from the fans, he is one of those players that can never do anything that fans will appreciate...good luck to him sha...poor Akpere...oops i mean Akpeyi, see what peer pressure has done to poor me
oloye,

There is no question about the bias. It is sticking out. If you watched the game, he was not as poor as being portrayed here and there is video to prove it. Fact is that his past now precedes him. It clouds the judgment of his performance yesterday. Yes, he was merely average last night but he was no where as poor as he was v Algeria.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:

oloye,

There is no question about the bias. It is sticking out. If you watched the game, he was not as poor as being portrayed here and there is video to prove it. Fact is that his past now precedes him. It clouds the judgment of his performance yesterday. Yes, he was merely average last night but he was no where as poor as he was v Algeria.
You mean South Africa. Ezenwa played against Algeria if I am not mistaken.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:

oloye,

You mean South Africa. Ezenwa played against Algeria if I am not mistaken.
I am referring to the 3-1 win over Algeria in Uyo. He was very poor in that game even though we went on to win.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:

oloye,

I agree and that is exactly what i am trying to say. I could not watch the match as i was in the office, so i followed the commentaries here, walahi i almost got a heart attack with Akpeyi going by these commentaries. When i sat down to watch the highlights after , i was waiting for those moments so i can at least now laugh and use it to compensate myself for the way they made my BP went high. Shuo , i waited and waited, even the ball he grabbed outside the box, it looked like something happened there that was mis-interpreted.

I will fault him for the goal from the resulting freekick, you do not get beaten on the side you are supposed to be covering. Let the wall do it's job, if the wall is breached , it is not your wahala unless if it was not well set up.

There was nothing he could do with the second, absolutely nothing. Once again he might not be good enough, but he was not as bad as people almost giving themselves and poor me heart attack with their over the top panic.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

i couldn't agree more. Totally clueless performance for the lad. I wonder if he was so awed by the moment and the Argentine jerseys that he simply lost his mind :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Akpeyi was comical at times but he also kept us in the game when the Argentines broke through our defense in the first half. Unfortunately he'll be remembered for the bad and not the good. Simply his errors were amateurish and comical
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Banega.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Prof, not quite sure why you put “error” in quotes in your heading...
As if it was not factual but some imaginary contraption of purportedly biased fans.

We can discuss WHY Akpeyi committed said error (which I personally did on this thread immediately following the game: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284365), but that does not obviate from the FACTUAL REALITY that he actually committed an error and that it was not just something cooked up by supposedly “biased” fans to somehow misleadingly portray him in bad light.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote:I believe pinpointing the error is not easy. Here are two situations that I would like to point to:

1). Akpeyi believed that Di Maria had been called for off sides. Possibly, the LM raised a flag (Don't know since the cameras did not show this) but even then he should have confirmed it if the referee whistled. Here, I assume the referee did none of that. Nevertheless, Akpeyi makes the assumption (error) and picks up the ball and places it for a free kick outside the box. But Aguero (noticing that there was no whistle) challenges and Akpeyi, instead of kicking away, proceeds to pick up the ball in protest that Aguero had not given the required 10-yard space for the supposed free kick. The referee then calls a foul on Akpeyi for handling outside the box but does not give an expected caution for deliberate handling.

2) The commentators claimed (That is what I thought I also heard) that Akpeyi picked up the ball after the referee had whistled for the game to be re-started. This I do not believe. However, if he did, why was there no whistle on Aguero for violating the space required for the free kick?

The above are just my interpretation. What are yours?
That dead ball was either a goal kick or a free kick for offside.

Did they take a goal kick and Akpeyi picked up the ball before placing it outside the box for a free kick?
I didn't see anyone take a goal kick.

If so, then the free kick was for taking a goal kick outside the box.
Akpeyi's ball distribution is actually decent but his organization of the defense and concentration need a lot of work.

The kid who came in the 2nd half had a more commanding presence in the box, better organization but worse ball distribution.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Kabalega wrote:That dead ball was either a goal kick or a free kick for offside.

Did they take a goal kick and Akpeyi picked up the ball before placing it outside the box for a free kick?
I didn't see anyone take a goal kick.

If so, then the free kick was for taking a goal kick outside the box.
Akpeyi's ball distribution is actually decent but his organization of the defense and concentration need a lot of work.

The kid who came in the 2nd half had a more commanding presence in the box, better organization but worse ball distribution.
It was NEVER a goal-kick because the ball NEVER went out of bounds...
Dude picked up the ball, placed it outside the box, and thereafter should not have touched it with his hands.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

What you people are forgetting is the guy is on a SHORT LEASH and has no upsides.

If a player like Mikel or Iheanacho made a stupid error, do you think we would care?

The guy was on a short leash BEFORE the match. You can't be making schoolboy errors when your value to the team is questionable! The guy does not know how to organize his lines, is the least confident Nigerian GK in history and has made several errors before.

How do you cut a player slack when he is on a short leash? He hasn't earned that right. He hasn't earned his place in the team.

He inspires 0 confidence. Having him in goal might even affect the psyche of our CBs!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote:What you people are forgetting is the guy is on a SHORT LEASH and has no upsides.

If a player like Mikel or Iheanacho made a stupid error, do you think we would care?

The guy was on a short leash BEFORE the match. You can't be making schoolboy errors when your value to the team is questionable! The guy does not know how to organize his lines, is the least confident Nigerian GK in history and has made several errors before.

How do you cut a player slack when he is on a short leash? He hasn't earned that right. He hasn't earned his place in the team.

He inspires 0 confidence. Having him in goal might even affect the psyche of our CBs!
The underline is embedded in most of the points made here about the guy. That really is the crux of the manner -- he is not evaluated as everyone else.