GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Post by Tbite »

If Akpeyi goes to the WC and costs us. I want everyone who defended him banned for 3 months.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: All it will take for Uzoho to come under the wrath of the shifting fans is just one or two below par showings. Even the Enyeama they are singing today..agghhh let us not dig up what was said about his flapping ways , when we were being told Aiyenugba was better until Guinea shot down that moment of drunken stupor from the fans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Precisely! Just like everyone has abandoned Ola Aina because he had a poor game yesterday. Like I said on another thread, Akpeyi made a horrendous error, which he was rightfully subbed for, but I don't think he was our weakest link in the first half. If the Argentines were clinical like they are sometimes we would have been 3 goals down before the error.

Even on the positioning for the freekick, people ignore the fact that it was a well taken freekick, just like Iheanacho's was. But I have not heard one single person say how useless the Argentine goalie was because his positioning did not enable him to get to Nacho, fantastically taken freekick.

I like the fact that Rohr is looking at everything from the overall team perspective and not from emotional fans perspectives.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:
oloye wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: All it will take for Uzoho to come under the wrath of the shifting fans is just one or two below par showings. Even the Enyeama they are singing today..agghhh let us not dig up what was said about his flapping ways , when we were being told Aiyenugba was better until Guinea shot down that moment of drunken stupor from the fans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Precisely! Just like everyone has abandoned Ola Aina because he had a poor game yesterday. Like I said on another thread, Akpeyi made a horrendous error, which he was rightfully subbed for, but I don't think he was our weakest link in the first half. If the Argentines were clinical like they are sometimes we would have been 3 goals down before the error.

Even on the positioning for the freekick, people ignore the fact that it was a well taken freekick, just like Iheanacho's was. But I have not heard one single person say how useless the Argentine goalie was because his positioning did not enable him to get to Nacho, fantastically taken freekick.

I like the fact that Rohr is looking at everything from the overall team perspective and not from emotional fans perspectives.
1Naija, Kai! For the first time in a long time, I am agreeing with you. Thanks bro! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The bobos whole body language expresses his lack of confidence and he has this stupid expression. He has not kept one single clean sheet. How many chances does It take to finally realise he needs to be kicked into touch
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote:

How was it a well-taken freekick. It did NOT even have to go over the wall.

Iheanacho's went over the wall.

The freekick defense was comical. The keeper formed a wall and stood behind the wall leaving the Argentinean player with a clear view of where he was not. To top it off, he even moved towards where the wall was covering. A Keeper being beaten by a ball over the wall is understandable but to be beaten by a ball when you have clear sight of it is unacceptable.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Odas wrote:
1naija wrote:

1Naija, Kai! For the first time in a long time, I am agreeing with you. Thanks bro! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I thought you stopped this nonsense...The ball beat him to the side that he is supposed to be guarding, basically a simple back pass beat him and you are here yarning nonsense. The guy effed up big time, and he's a beneficiary of our dearth of quality GKs.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:
anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
He's going to give all the keepers more games before he makes up his mind...
"The most important [thing] today is that I found a good young gk..."
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
Let us leave sentiments. He is simply not good enough. Period!! It is not even about the mistake that led to their first goal because I genuinely believe he thought it was offside. My issue with him yesterday (and all year to be honest) was his positioning for the goal itself. He set up the wall and should take responsibility for not seeing the ball. That alone is a goalkeeping error. By the way his positioning for the second was questionable too. Also, his distribution was poor and he gave the ball away a lot. He also looked so nervous and has always looked nervous when he plays for Nigeria. A 19 year old kid who just turned pro this year came on at half time for his debut and you could see some form of confidence in the boy's play. He kept talking, his ball distribution was good, and he made a decent save toward the end. Meanwhile, Akpeyi, who has been playing for Nigeria since 2005 (he was at the Holland 2005 under 20 world cup) and has been a professional for longer still shakes like fish out of water. We need to move on from him. I don't mind another home based goalie at this point. Even Alampasu would do but not Akpeyi. He just is not good enough.
yes o
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I think I've seen enough of Akpeyi. Btw, Rohr should find out who the best keeper in the NPFL is and invite him for the next friendly. The opinion of most is there are at least 1 or 2 goalies in the NPFL better than Ezenwa and Ajiboye.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Robbynice wrote:I think Akpeyi will make it to Russia but as the third Gk. personally I think it will be Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi. I really do not see how Enyeama will make the train but then wetin small pikin like me know... :twisted:

I'd like us to invest in Alampasu as the third choice. I have not watched him in a while, so my suggestion shouldnt be taken as more than what it is -- mere suggestion.

I just dont want us to waste a spot on someone who is presently bad, and who does not have a future. We want to win the World Cup and then move forward(hopefully with Rohr) to dominate for at least a decade! Akpeyi is 31.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

bamenda boy wrote:On that goal, perharps can you guys give the guy who took the freekick credit for a nicely taken freekick?
Why are we always ready to cut someone for the simplest of mistakes ?
Lol. It wasn't a great fk at all. All Banega had to do was pass the ball into the empty net given Akpeyi left his side of the goal in anticipation of a ball over the wall. That was an elementary error. The goalie is supposed to trust his wall most especially when the fk is at the edge of the box. That was 101 stuff. Akpeyi is rubbish for real.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
I was surprised that no one talked about the saves made by Akpeyi in the game. Definitely not as bad as people want us to believe.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If it is any consolation, South Africa's Khune was just as comical yesterday:

Remember how the Ivorian goalkeeper gifted Morocco a win too? We have a goalkeeping problem on our continent. Caf needs to look at the issue.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

wanaj0 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

I was surprised that no one talked about the saves made by Akpeyi in the game. Definitely not as bad as people want us to believe.
Nna eh, the thing dey weak me sometimes. I think people just closed their eyes after they saw a perceived mistake.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

Actually, Akpeyi is THAT bad.

There's nothing to work with. What exactly is his upside?
His shot stopping abilities?
His command of his area?
Ability to arrange and direct his defence?
Aerial ability?
Awareness?
Football IQ?
Youth?
Ability to learn?
Ability to inspire confidence?

What exactly does he have to be retained?

Each game he keeps he shows he lacks the abilities listed above.

KPOM! He was worse than I initially thought and I have seen a lot of blunders from him.
Last edited by oscar52 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

green4life wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:On that goal, perharps can you guys give the guy who took the freekick credit for a nicely taken freekick?
Lol. It wasn't a great fk at all. All Banega had to do was pass the ball into the empty net given Akpeyi left his side of the goal in anticipation of a ball over the wall. That was an elementary error. The goalie is supposed to trust his wall most especially when the fk is at the edge of the box. That was 101 stuff. Akpeyi is rubbish for real.
It was a good free-kick. The video is all over the site. His positioning made it impossible for him to reach the ball. The Argentina goalkeeper was the opposite. He positioned himsel away from the wall but was too far away to stop any ball that wwny over the wall. The result was the same
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Sorry, Cellular is not saying it loud enough...Akpeyi is not only bad, he is TERRIBLE. In Fact, empty post is better than that dude. I am struggling to name anything positive about him. He even looks like a more confused version of Robbynice.

Even secondary school goalies know that you cover your near post with a solid wall, while the GK himself covers the other part. What a CLOWN! No need to even bend a FK with him in goal.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1naija wrote:
green4life wrote:
It was a good free-kick. The video is all over the site. His positioning made it impossible for him to reach the ball. The Argentina goalkeeper was the opposite. He positioned himsel away from the wall but was too far away to stop any ball that wwny over the wall. The result was the same

Haba, Unku 1Naija. The result may be the same, but Kelechi, like other FK takers, have to do the hard work of bending the FK to curve and drop at a desired angle. The GK puts up a solid wall and tries to make the taker's job harder. Most of the time, when the taker is able to bend it and put it on goal, it will take tremendous effort by the GK to make a save. Akpeyi built a wall and stood behind it :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:
green4life wrote:

Haba, Unku 1Naija. The result may be the same, but Kelechi, like other FK takers, have to do the hard work of bending the FK to curve and drop at a desired angle. The GK puts up a solid wall and tries to make the taker's job harder. Most of the time, when the taker is able to bend it and put it on goal, it will take tremendous effort by the GK to make a save. Akpeyi built a wall and stood behind it :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I think the smog in Houston is finally showing effects in Uncle 1Naija's brain cells :taunt:
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

nanijoe wrote:It was one half, but for me the composure of a goalkeeper is 50% of the job, and Uzoho showed the kind of composure you would expect from a 30 year old.
Like Robbynice said, there is no upside to Akpeyi. He's 31, what you see now is all you are going to see.
Uzoho is 19.

He's 31? and he made those catalogue of errors as a goalkeeper? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

All I know is that this team has all the ingredients for a semi final record, but we are one goal keeper error away from potentially achieving that grand possibility... It's left for the cognitive minds to connect the dots.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:
Robbynice wrote:I think Akpeyi will make it to Russia but as the third Gk. personally I think it will be Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi. I really do not see how Enyeama will make the train but then wetin small pikin like me know... :twisted:
You may think you be small pikin but even small pikin know say 'form is temporary, class is permanent'
Enyeama is not 50 years old, so why on earth would he not regain both form and class once he fully recovers from injury?
We like to discard good tinz for Naija sha.... :idea:
to make long tory short; if enyeama makes a full recovery
1) Enyeama
2/1) Uzoho
3/2) Ezenwa
0/3) Akpeyi if Enyeama does not recover
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:

you are delusional, Akpeyi was crap
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Gooner1 wrote:
Odas wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

:agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: The first goal we conceded yesterday was clearly Akpeyi's fault. However, I wonder if he saw the ball coming. The second goal wasn't his fault because any keeper could have conceded the goal. Either way, observation continues in general - in my opinion. Thus, let the fighting for number one (1) shirt continue and we will see how it will all end-up
dude......did you not see the highlights?
:roll:
Chief, I watched the game in full and I still haven't taken a position about Akpeyi, same is with Ezenwa. Yes, we conceded a "free kick" goal which he should have saved, but errors do happen - regardless of who the players is.

Thus, let's relax and continue to see what each keeper does, somewhere along the line, we will pick our best three and head to Russia. You people need to relax, there is a reason the coaching crew still invite him to camp.

While at it, why did the Argentina's keeper concede four goals in the game? By conceding such number of goals, doesn't it mean he is worse than Akpeyi?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.