GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Post by 1naija »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Prof EnuguII is just doing efico here. The GK was terrible. Even Cellular that defends everybody no fit defend this one. This "unconventional" approach is academic stuff. He might as well leave the post unmanned and expect the FK to go over the bar...that would be another unorthodox approach....

Uncle, Akeyi played 48 minutes. If you are basing your assessment that he was horrible and should not near the Eagles again on the one mistake he made, then neither should
Balogun, Ola Aina, Shehu, and even Mikel because they all played poorly also. But we can't say that can we? Nobody is excusing Akpeyi's mistake, but you can't discredit his entire effort because of one mistake. If we were all held by the same standard as we are trying to hold Akpeyi here, we won't be where we are today.

Uncle, I could have sworn a certain Akpeyi was keeping nonsense vs SA, or was that Agbim or Ezenwa?
Senior uncle, you would have sworn wrong because Akpeyi did not keep nonsense against SA. The SE played nonsense against Akpeyi. Why do you want to judge only him by a different standard ?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

mystic wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:
Obong wrote:Ayo,
I stand with Rohr on the use of the goalkeepers in the matches against Algeria and Argentina. Ezenwa, despite his gaffe against Cameroun away, had a decent game against Zambia and deserved another start in a match Rohr took seriously in Constantine. It also made sense to start Akpeyi in the Argentina game to see his form after the South African debacle in Uyo. Uzoho had to come in in the second half. Besides, the national team is not a shopping window for any particular player's club aspirations. A player earns that on the club's training pitch. National team appearances are supposed to be a reward for good club form and a positive track record on national duty (something Uzoho is just starting).

On top of that Rohr has got to prepare all his goalkeepers for the World Cup. Not just one guy. His division of playing time between the 3 goalkeepers in camp over the two games was on point.
But Akpeyi is not one of those goalkeepers. He should be watching the World Cup on TV along with his padi Agbim

Until he finds better options, Akpeyi is one of those goalkeepers. What we must work on now is finding better options.
Mystic,

KPOM. This is exactly my thought.
There are better options. They don't need to be found, only invited.

How difficult can this be?

Unfortunately the options aren't so clear cut. Let's examine some of the alternatives:

1. DELE ALAMPASU - Very talented but unfortunately not seeing action at his club. Still, Rohr has continued to keep him in the picture, which suggests that he's sees the young man's potential. We need to see him in a game though, but lack of playing time at his club is a serious concern.

2. EMMANUEL DANIEL - His Olympic experience is a major plus and he has shown that he has the tools to be an international goalkeeper. Hasn't tied down the number 1 shirt at Orlando Pirates and that's why he's been overlooked by Rohr.

3. DELE AJIBOYE - Not good enough.

4. OLUFEMI THOMAS - Not good enough.

5. THEOPHILUS AFELOKHAI - Not good enough.

6. ABIODUN AKANDE - Definitely has the talent to become a quality international, but our national team selectors have not been paying attention. Would need some grooming and exposure to international football but the talent is there. Whether there is enough time between now and the Mundial to be engaging in such a project is another matter.

7. DAVID NWOKOLOR - Not sure if he is ready. Very talented but much like Akande he would be a bit of a project. I saw him in a few games last season, and I thought that he was long on potential but short on experience. He's also not starting right now. Still with our current goalkeeping situation, we may have to be bold.

8. DELE AIYENUGBA - Some have suggested him based on his solid displays in Israel. Methinks this would be a step backwards. Mind you, I understand the temptation to bring him back, but I would rather sink or swim with youngsters.
Before the Cameroon & South Africa games, I mentioned that we were wasting camp spaces on Alampasu and Akepyi and that Nwolokor and Uzoho should be called. That has not changed.
Nwolokor is in a Champions league team. They suck at the CL level, but they qualified. He has 2 seasons of starting in Europe at 21. While Uzoho might be the better long term prospect, Nwolokor is better prepared to start for Nigeria today.

The NFF/DSTV wahala stopped us from seeing the local league for over half the season, but I saw the 2 Rivers Utd GKs on your list this season. I hope to make frequent trips to the Agege stadium next season.

I disagree on Femi Thomas. He has looked like an SE starter everytime I've seem him. He needs to get a club first after the wrong moves from Enyimba to Kano Pillars and the Rivers Utd. Compare Femi Thomas to Ezenwa & you'd definitely see why he deserves an SE look in.

I have also seen Akande, and I just think of another outstanding young keeper that dives a lot, like Itodo, or a young Enyeama. I don't see the total presence and package (including poise, good with crosses etc) and instantly think, possible SE starter.

We definitely have enough talent for the likes of Akpeyi not to be in the conversation.

PS
Anyone comparing the performance of the keepers in the 2 FK goals in the NGR-ARG friendly does not know the game and is not worth debating.

One keeper did not organize the wall, and then hid behind that same wall, peeped like a thief and retreated behind the wall only to be beaten by what was essentially a pass into the wide unguarded area of the net.

Any decent goalie, even at the high school level forms a wall to block a section of the path to goal (that is why they stand at one post and line up the wall), he then covers the open area (ideally at the end of an imaginary line from the spot of the ball and shaving the other end of the wall). He has the open are well covered, but still has some hope of making a save if it is an exception freekick that scales the wall, bends and dips in time (which was what Nacho's FK was).

Hiding behind the wall and peeping like a thief.

Some people really have low expectations for the SE.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This site is full of agents
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Doing the graveyard taxi shift.

Akpeyi not paying much?

Hope you now understand how a GK should organize his team and defend a Freekick.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

TT,

I actually have been a fan of Thomas' potential since his Flying Eagles days. However, truth be told, I don't think he's good enough.

I like the quartet of Alampasu, Daniel, Nwokolor and Akande. But all four currently have issues with playing time at their clubs. Hopefully one or more of these guys can step up and win the number one jersey at their clubside.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:TT,

I actually have been a fan of Thomas' potential since his Flying Eagles days. However, truth be told, I don't think he's good enough.

I like the quartet of Alampasu, Daniel, Nwokolor and Akande. But all four currently have issues with playing time at their clubs. Hopefully one or more of these guys can step up and win the number one jersey at their clubside.
Emmanuel Daniel - Was forced to leave Orlando Pirates after not getting any playing time
David Nwokolor - Has hardly had any playing time at HNK Rijeka this season
Abiodun Akande - Fractured his leg in July while playing for Rivers United and is yet to regain full fitness
Dele Alampasu - Has not been able to even get on the bench at Feirense

If we want to be honest, our best three goalkeepers at the moment are:

Francis Uzoho (Deportivo La Coruna)
Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)
Dele Aiyenugba (Hapoel Ashkelon)

Personally, I do not think Rohr really has any choice other than to take this trio. Whether, he will do so is another matter.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Sorry, Cellular is not saying it loud enough...Akpeyi is not only bad, he is TERRIBLE. In Fact, empty post is better than that dude. I am struggling to name anything positive about him. He even looks like a more confused version of Robbynice.

Even secondary school goalies know that you cover your near post with a solid wall, while the GK himself covers the other part. What a CLOWN! No need to even bend a FK with him in goal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Kai!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ugbowo wrote:This is comedy.

Did anyone really expect Rohr to come out and say Akpeyi's career is done? What he told Osasu was coachspeak.

There is no coming back for Akpeyi. Stick a fork in him....done!
... perhaps so! Such is the reason we should leave this Ezenwa's and Akpeyi's issues to the coaching crew. I believe they are discussing this topic in private and have either reached a decision or will reach one soon. Personally, I was beginning to like Ezenwa, making my preference - in no particluar order - Ezenwa, Uzoho and ???, but now I am lost in general.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Robbynice wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
KPOM KWEM! Uzoho definitely looks the part but he will have to get more games for us to see what he can do.
We must never get carried away with one performance but his debut was indeed very promising.

You need 3 Keepers for your WC squad, I understand why Rohr has to keep faith in Akpeyi. Besides, Akpeyi may end up being much improved for his experience so long as Rohr sees talent he can work with. I wont write him off.

I think Ezenwa is a good example of why you need to keep faith with young goalkeepers.

At this point, I must remember Carl and his battles ahead. I miss Carl Ikeme and wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Waffiman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
KPOM KWEM! Uzoho definitely looks the part but he will have to get more games for us to see what he can do.
We must never get carried away with one performance but his debut was indeed very promising.

You need 3 Keepers for your WC squad, I understand why Rohr has to keep faith in Akpeyi. Besides, Akpeyi may end up being much improved for his experience so long as Rohr sees talent he can work with. I wont write him off.

I think Ezenwa is a good example of why you need to keep faith with young goalkeepers.

At this point, I must remember Carl and his battles ahead. I miss Carl Ikeme and wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

Akpeyi is 31 Waffiman. I think it is too late to hope for any improvement in him. He is older than Carl Ikeme. Even Ezenwa is 29, so is no spring chicken but one can excuse him as he has never played outside Nigeria before and received any serious coaching.

However you look at it, neither Akpeyi or Ezenwa are long-term prospects. I would rather go with Dele Ajiboye (27) and Dele Alampasu (20) as they at least have time on their side.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

truetalk wrote:
mystic wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:
On top of that Rohr has got to prepare all his goalkeepers for the World Cup. Not just one guy. His division of playing time between the 3 goalkeepers in camp over the two games was on point.
But Akpeyi is not one of those goalkeepers. He should be watching the World Cup on TV along with his padi Agbim

Until he finds better options, Akpeyi is one of those goalkeepers. What we must work on now is finding better options.
Mystic,

KPOM. This is exactly my thought.
There are better options. They don't need to be found, only invited.

How difficult can this be?

Unfortunately the options aren't so clear cut. Let's examine some of the alternatives:

1. DELE ALAMPASU - Very talented but unfortunately not seeing action at his club. Still, Rohr has continued to keep him in the picture, which suggests that he's sees the young man's potential. We need to see him in a game though, but lack of playing time at his club is a serious concern.

2. EMMANUEL DANIEL - His Olympic experience is a major plus and he has shown that he has the tools to be an international goalkeeper. Hasn't tied down the number 1 shirt at Orlando Pirates and that's why he's been overlooked by Rohr.

3. DELE AJIBOYE - Not good enough.

4. OLUFEMI THOMAS - Not good enough.

5. THEOPHILUS AFELOKHAI - Not good enough.

6. ABIODUN AKANDE - Definitely has the talent to become a quality international, but our national team selectors have not been paying attention. Would need some grooming and exposure to international football but the talent is there. Whether there is enough time between now and the Mundial to be engaging in such a project is another matter.

7. DAVID NWOKOLOR - Not sure if he is ready. Very talented but much like Akande he would be a bit of a project. I saw him in a few games last season, and I thought that he was long on potential but short on experience. He's also not starting right now. Still with our current goalkeeping situation, we may have to be bold.

8. DELE AIYENUGBA - Some have suggested him based on his solid displays in Israel. Methinks this would be a step backwards. Mind you, I understand the temptation to bring him back, but I would rather sink or swim with youngsters.
Before the Cameroon & South Africa games, I mentioned that we were wasting camp spaces on Alampasu and Akepyi and that Nwolokor and Uzoho should be called. That has not changed.
Nwolokor is in a Champions league team. They suck at the CL level, but they qualified. He has 2 seasons of starting in Europe at 21. While Uzoho might be the better long term prospect, Nwolokor is better prepared to start for Nigeria today.

The NFF/DSTV wahala stopped us from seeing the local league for over half the season, but I saw the 2 Rivers Utd GKs on your list this season. I hope to make frequent trips to the Agege stadium next season.

I disagree on Femi Thomas. He has looked like an SE starter everytime I've seem him. He needs to get a club first after the wrong moves from Enyimba to Kano Pillars and the Rivers Utd. Compare Femi Thomas to Ezenwa & you'd definitely see why he deserves an SE look in.

I have also seen Akande, and I just think of another outstanding young keeper that dives a lot, like Itodo, or a young Enyeama. I don't see the total presence and package (including poise, good with crosses etc) and instantly think, possible SE starter.

We definitely have enough talent for the likes of Akpeyi not to be in the conversation.

PS
Anyone comparing the performance of the keepers in the 2 FK goals in the NGR-ARG friendly does not know the game and is not worth debating.

One keeper did not organize the wall, and then hid behind that same wall, peeped like a thief and retreated behind the wall only to be beaten by what was essentially a pass into the wide unguarded area of the net.

Any decent goalie, even at the high school level forms a wall to block a section of the path to goal (that is why they stand at one post and line up the wall), he then covers the open area (ideally at the end of an imaginary line from the spot of the ball and shaving the other end of the wall). He has the open are well covered, but still has some hope of making a save if it is an exception freekick that scales the wall, bends and dips in time (which was what Nacho's FK was).

Hiding behind the wall and peeping like a thief.

Some people really have low expectations for the SE.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Chief Truetalk don kill me-oo!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

anointed wrote:If any of Ezenwa or Akpeyi is on the team, they should remain on the bench with a fastened seat belt
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Akpeyi is 31 Waffiman. I think it is too late to hope for any improvement in him. He is older than Carl Ikeme. Even Ezenwa is 29, so is no spring chicken but one can excuse him as he has never played outside Nigeria before and received any serious coaching.

However you look at it, neither Akpeyi or Ezenwa are long-term prospects. I would rather go with Dele Ajiboye (27) and Dele Alampasu (20) as they at least have time on their side.
I see your point with regards to age. But Goalkeepers are like fine wine. Ezenwa has improved with each game played, that's typical of goalies like him. That cannot be said for Akpeyi but it does not mean he is a write off yet.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Damunk wrote:
anointed wrote:If any of Ezenwa or Akpeyi is on the team, they should remain on the bench with a fastened seat belt
I can understand the call on Akpeyi cos he has had his chance. But that is harsh on Ezenwa. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

I see your point with regards to age. But Goalkeepers are like fine wine. Ezenwa has improved with each game played, that's typical of goalies like him. That cannot be said for Akpeyi but it does not mean he is a write off yet.

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I ain't gonna lie - the moment I saw Ezenwa do that goal celebration I knew he was trash.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Waffiman wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I can understand the call on Akpeyi cos he has had his chance. But that is harsh on Ezenwa. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ezenwa has had too many chances to redeem him,self. Go and watch the Wafu cup final and see how much of a calamity he is.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

IF Enyeama will NOT be a destabilising influence in camp (as others have stated), I think he has a role to play. Akpeyi is dodgy, Ezenwa is better (but that is not saying a lot), Alampasu untried, and Uzoho is promising but inexperienced (with a grand total of 2.5 professional senior games in his career). As a young teenage GK he will make mistakes (just like DDG and Casillas did early in their careers).

Remember that a key player always gets injured just before the WC. If it is a GK we could be in serious trouble if Akpeyi has to play.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Can you stop please?

Enough of the English!!!

I am living proof of the perils of supporting a team with a dodgy GK.

Even prayer warriors cannot help Nigeria with Ezenwa in goal at the WC!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:
Obong wrote:Ayo,
I stand with Rohr on the use of the goalkeepers in the matches against Algeria and Argentina. Ezenwa, despite his gaffe against Cameroun away, had a decent game against Zambia and deserved another start in a match Rohr took seriously in Constantine. It also made sense to start Akpeyi in the Argentina game to see his form after the South African debacle in Uyo. Uzoho had to come in in the second half. Besides, the national team is not a shopping window for any particular player's club aspirations. A player earns that on the club's training pitch. National team appearances are supposed to be a reward for good club form and a positive track record on national duty (something Uzoho is just starting).

Rohr appears not interested if we want to be honest. He is one of those coaches who will stick by a player he likes no matter how garbage he is.
And this is exactly why we are in our current predicament wrt the Goalkeeping situation.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

wiseone wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm IF Enyeama will NOT be a destabilising influence in camp (as others have stated), I think he has a role to play. Akpeyi is dodgy, Ezenwa is better (but that is not saying a lot), Alampasu untried, and Uzoho is promising but inexperienced (with a grand total of 2.5 professional senior games in his career). As a young teenage GK he will make mistakes (just like DDG and Casillas did early in their careers).

Remember that a key player always gets injured just before the WC. If it is a GK we could be in serious trouble if Akpeyi has to play.
Mistake cost us the WC.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

txj wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 pm
Waffiman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Can you stop please?

Enough of the English!!!

I am living proof of the perils of supporting a team with a dodgy GK.

Even prayer warriors cannot help Nigeria with Ezenwa in goal at the WC!
Ironically, we won’t get to have anyone praying for us at the World Cup this time around. The moral of the story is, beware what you wish for. Your bigoted dislike for Ezenwa didn’t solve our goalkeeping problems❗️

Cheers.