Onyekuru given second public dressing down.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Onyekuru given second public dressing down.

Post by Waffiman »

http://sportwitness.co.uk/evertons-onye ... situation/

Everton’s Onyekuru given second public dressing down in several days, strange situation.

By Sport Witness Team - 27th November 2017

Anderlecht manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck has over the past week made it very clear he’s prepared to tell Henry Onyekuru how it is, and do so publicly.

After claims of Barcelona interest, which were almost certainly nonsense, and Oneykuru’s public desire to return to parent club Everton in January, Vanhaezebrouck hasn’t been afraid to bring the player down a peg or two.

Ahead of the weekend, Anderlecht Online quoted the manager as explaining his Everton loanee isn’t ready to be a striker: “I’ve already tried it a few times, but that did not work out well.

“Henry doesn’t currently have the feeling to make the right movements from that position. He may think he can, but on the basis of what I see, it’s clear that he doesn’t have the feeling, he looks for his position, often stands still and doesn’t know where to go.”

That may have been Vanhaezebrouck’s attempt at mind games, and if so it didn’t work perfectly.

Following Anderlecht’s 4-0 victory over KV Kortrijk, the manager was again unhappy with Onyekuru.

Het Belang van Limburg quote him as saying: “Henry has to stop thinking that he’s only about his goals…. the sum of his dribbles must be positive after 90 minutes. Not negative, as now. Especially if he has so much space and as little resistance as against.

That may have been Vanhaezebrouck’s attempt at mind games, and if so it didn’t work perfectly.

How Onyekuru takes his second dressing down in a few days is anyone’s guess.

The 20 year old feels he’s ready to move to Everton, although he hasn’t the work permit to allow a Goodison Park arrival,. There’s every chance claims of interest from other clubs, whether real or not, are only serving to underpin the player’s belief he’s more advanced than Vanhaezebrouck wants to give him credit for.

Whenever Everton do get around to sorting out a new manager, this is a situation for him, and Steve Walsh, to keep an eye on.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Onyekuru given second public dressing down.

Post by Damunk »

Hmmmmm.....
Maybe Onyekuru needs to pay more attention. It could be he believes he is already the finished business.
A little humility is always a good thing - whether the coach is right or not.
Alex Iwobi is a good example.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Hmmmmm.....
Maybe Onyekuru needs to pay more attention. It could be he believes he is already the finished business.

Is he just him, many here on CE believe he is finished business. Football is not just dribbling and being on the scoresheet. You are part of a TEAM.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Enugu II wrote:

Is he just him, many here on CE believe he is finished business. Football is not just dribbling and being on the scoresheet. You are part of a TEAM.
Am very weary of coaches that are trying to supporess the natural talent of our guys. I think he is better off playing for a coach that will nurture this talents.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:

The coach wan throw san san for Ayo's garri, but pretty much his selfish play can work in useless leagues like Belgium, but you have to learn to play with your teammates to make the step up. He also needs to hustle and help out the team defensively not just stand around or jog into position without actually engaging the opposition. There is a reason he's gotten limited time with Rohr and why he is not a sure starter on his club even with all his speed.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Am very weary of coaches that are trying to supporess the natural talent of our guys. I think he is better off playing for a coach that will nurture this talents.
I don't see how you can read his comments as him trying to suppress his talents. Sounds like he's trying to get him to improve in areas he's clearly lacking.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

maceo4 wrote:
Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

I don't see how you can read his comments as him trying to suppress his talents. Sounds like he's trying to get him to improve in areas he's clearly lacking.
I thought so too. The essence of what the coach is saying is that he needs to be more of a team player. If he has good advisers, he will listen.
To stop trying is to start dying
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

'Suppress' bi ti bawo? :???:
Every talented young footballer goes thru a phase when they are being criticised and I guess only those that have the maturity to recognise it as a learning curve will ultimately improve.
Those that think they already have it all are more likely to plateau and never quite reach their full potential.

If he likes, Onyekuru can claim bias or whatever.
I'd much rather he listens carefully if only to prove that he is destined for the top.

I'm sure Messi and Ronaldo have their own stories to tell.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Is it just him, many here on CE believe he is finished business. Football is not just dribbling and being on the scoresheet. You are part of a TEAM.
Prince,

I actually think this coach recognizes Henry's talent. If not, Henry would be accumulating dust and cobwebs sitting on the bench. Like Trump says".... believe me." In any case, think Victor Moses. Victor was similar at an earlier stage but see how his career has blossomed since he realized that this is a TEAM sport.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Waffiman wrote:http://sportwitness.co.uk/evertons-onye ... situation/

Everton’s Onyekuru given second public dressing down in several days, strange situation.

Anderlecht manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck has over the past week made it very clear he’s prepared to tell Henry Onyekuru how it is, and do so publicly.

After claims of Barcelona interest, which were almost certainly nonsense, and Oneykuru’s public desire to return to parent club Everton in January, Vanhaezebrouck hasn’t been afraid to bring the player down a peg or two.

Ahead of the weekend, Anderlecht Online quoted the manager as explaining his Everton loanee isn’t ready to be a striker: “I’ve already tried it a few times, but that did not work out well.

“Henry doesn’t currently have the feeling to make the right movements from that position. He may think he can, but on the basis of what I see, it’s clear that he doesn’t have the feeling, he looks for his position, often stands still and doesn’t know where to go.”

Following Anderlecht’s 4-0 victory over KV Kortrijk, the manager was again unhappy with Onyekuru.

Het Belang van Limburg quote him as saying: “Henry has to stop thinking that he’s only about his goals…. the sum of his dribbles must be positive after 90 minutes. Not negative, as now. Especially if he has so much space and as little resistance as against.

The 20 year old feels he’s ready to move to Everton, although he hasn’t the work permit to allow a Goodison Park arrival,. There’s every chance claims of interest from other clubs, whether real or not, are only serving to underpin the player’s belief he’s more advanced than Vanhaezebrouck wants to give him credit for.

Whenever Everton do get around to sorting out a new manager, this is a situation for him, and Steve Walsh, to keep an eye on.
If the coach does not care about your progress, they will not mention your name. I get what the coach is doing.

If I was Onyekuru, I would quickly learn some humility and do exactly what his coach wants. Football is much more than just aiming for goal.

Meanwhile, our local nutjob wants Onyekuru to just waltz into the Super Eagles by default....
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is what the coach is doing, I don't think Henry is prepared to listen, right now Everton is the last club you want to be joining.
“Henry doesn’t currently have the feeling to make the right movements from that position. He may think he can, but on the basis of what I see, it’s clear that he doesn’t have the feeling, he looks for his position, often stands still and doesn’t know where to go.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I really like the look of what I see on youtube, but it's youtube. He'd better do well just to trust his coach, Nigerian football is full of all this Dimeji Lawalish and Pius Ikediaish footballers that are very exciting to watch but not very effective.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Enugu II wrote:
Is he just him, many here on CE believe he is finished business.
Football is not just dribbling and being on the scoresheet. You are part of a TEAM.
Abeg, tell our resident cyber coaches/agents.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I am all for telling a player as is.....but not in the press.

I am not sure what this coach is trying to do by publicly humiliating Henry 2 weeks in a row.....this day and age, you'll more than likely lose the player than have him come ur way. I don't know what has been said in private but I'll prefer it stays there.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

this is how they beat the self belief out of ya. Little by little
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Not looking good for Onyekuru. The coach obviously does not think much if him judging by his regular stint on the bench. Henry has no more excuses to ram the coach's words far down his throat with solid performances from now on. When I rightly stated that Henry has not shown the desire to improve, the likes of Gotti were too quick to jump on my back.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Very well stated points by Damunk and Enugu II. If I were Onyekuru, I will listen to the coach's criticism and seek an advice (suggestions) from him and go from there.

Like one of my managers always say, "criticism is an avenue for self evaluation and improvement" and this is an example of it. Our man need to sit down, evaluate himself and make adjustment(s) as necessary for his own professional wealth.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
I don't think the coach is trying to suppress Onyekuru's talent, rather I think the coach spoke out of frustration about his player. The frustration probably rose from several advises given in private and our man heeded none, and continues to make the same mistake(s). A striker has to make himself available as often as possible in order to receive a pass and ... Likewise, a player has to retreat to help in defense
Last edited by Odas on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ugbowo wrote: I am all for telling a player as is.....but not in the press.

I am not sure what this coach is trying to do by publicly humiliating Henry 2 weeks in a row.....this day and age, you'll more than likely lose the player than have him come ur way. I don't know what has been said in private but I'll prefer it stays there.
Thank you - Chief! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

charlie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:http://sportwitness.co.uk/evertons-onye ... situation/

If the coach does not care about your progress, they will not mention your name. I get what the coach is doing.

If I was Onyekuru, I would quickly learn some humility and do exactly what his coach wants. Football is much more than just aiming for goal.

Meanwhile, our local nutjob wants Onyekuru to just waltz into the Super Eagles by default....
:clap:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

okay o
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Reminds me of another retired Nigerian player. :sneaky:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Ugbowo wrote:I am all for telling a player as is.....but not in the press.

Chief:

It is possible that the coach has spoken to him in private, and it doesn't appear to have worked. Just speculating here...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."