How I see our World Cup odysey panning out

We can get nine points from this group:

Argentina - We just proved we can beat them, albeit without Messi. However, coming from two down to score four shows they can be beaten
Croatia - They have some good players like Modric and Rakatic but they are an ageing side and will struggle to cope with our pace
Iceland - They had a great Euro 2016 and are very hardworking but I believe they will always struggle against guile, flair and pace

Group stages
June 16: Nigeria 2-0 Croatia
June 22: Nigeria 4-1 Iceland
June 26: Nigeria 2-1 Argentina

Round of 16
July 1: Nigeria 2-0 Peru

Quarter finals
July 7: Nigeria 1-1 Spain (Nigeria wins on penalties)

Semi finals
July 11: Nigeria 0-1 Germany

Third place game
July 14: Nigeria 1-0 France

We will come back with the bronze medal!
SylverEagles
Re: How I see our World Cup odysey panning out

Post by SylverEagles »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This guy, you're such a joker sha!! We shall, let's bookmark this thread.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Super Eagles drawn against Perennial rivals Argentina alongside Croatia and Iceland in Russia 2018 - See more at: https://goo.gl/QBTU4e

Ayo Akinfe wrote:We can get nine points from this group:

Argentina - We just proved we can beat them, albeit without Messi. However, coming from two down to score four shows they can be beaten
Croatia - They have some good players like Modric and Rakatic but they are an ageing side and will struggle to cope with our pace
Iceland - They had a great Euro 2016 and are very hardworking but I believe they will always struggle against guile, flair and pace

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Ayo, why don't you wait until you go to bed before you start dreaming........

SylverEagles wrote:LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For once, no 10 pointer :D

Seriously though, nothing wrong with positive minded prognostics.
Its not impossible that the draw works out as Ayo predicted.

I'm just excited that we have a good competitive squad to truly compete at this world cup with anyone!
I dont think I have felt this way about the Super Eagles since 1998, and even then I knew we had serious flaws in defense which we just dont have anymore.
Last edited by charlie on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Super Eagles drawn against Perennial rivals Argentina alongside Croatia and Iceland in Russia 2018 - See more at: https://goo.gl/QBTU4e

who dash you?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

Why bronze? The cup my fren. :-x :blink:

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

See this greedy Warri man. You think say all the others come there come sell groundnuts?

Deluded typical thinking, Croatia packs alot of very technical players, no be only pace dey win games, maybe that worked against a tired and average Argentina defense, but we have our work cut out against arguably the team with the best midfield in the world, I mean Croatia... the search for serious play makers for the SE now begins in earnest... Iwobi, Mikel, Moses and Nacho can't do it alone

Tobi17 wrote:Deluded typical thinking, Croatia packs alot of very technical players, no be only pace dey win games, maybe that worked against a tired and average Argentina defense, but we have our work cut out against arguably the team with the best midfield in the world, I mean Croatia... the search for serious play makers for the SE now begins in earnest... Iwobi, Mikel, Moses and Nacho can't do it alone
Modric is way past it. Watch him get done for legs. As per Rakatic, I am not sold on him and fail to see how he is better than Ndidi for instance.

SylverEagles wrote:LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, you might think Chief Ayo is a "joker", but you never know because anything thing can happen in the field. Thus, while I applaud Ayo's prediction, let's remember it is just that - a PREDICTION.

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

See this greedy Warri man. You think say all the others come there come sell groundnuts?
Ayo, what are you talking about? Yes other teams didn't come to sell groundnut, but neither did we. Thus, like Waffiman suggested, we might as well go for the TROPHY (the Cup!)

It is highly unlikely though not impossible that Nigeria will escape the group stages unscathed. Argentina will be a very different proposition, Croatia are technically astute and Iceland consummate work horses. It would come as no surprise were Iceland to finish the group stage unbeaten.

Coach wrote:It is highly unlikely though not impossible that Nigeria will escape the group stages unscathed. Argentina will be a very different proposition, Croatia are technically astute and Iceland consummate work horses. It would come as no surprise were Iceland to finish the group stage unbeaten.

If by "unscathed" you mean not conceding a goal, I agree.

Lets put it this way, 4 points will qualify anyone in that group

If iceland creates an upset and beats argentina, nigeria are in trouble

chendosplastic

Post by chendosplastic »

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

Why stop there?
We would draw 1-1 with Germany and win on PSO. By a referee's error in the 90th minute of the final match, we would be awarded a penalty which Mikel would coolly put away. We then successfully park the bus for the duration of the added time and piooooooommmmm, we pick the trophy!
Last edited by chendosplastic on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.

Group stages

Round of 16

Quarter finals

Semi finals

Third place game

And I thought I was the optimistic one... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

marko wrote:If iceland creates an upset and beats argentina, nigeria are in trouble
Not if we win all our games. Zambia created an upset and beat Algeria in Algiers but it did not land us in trouble because we did our bit.

There will be surprises in that group, everyone writing of iceland, how did they qualify if they were not good enough? Nigeria better not take that 1998 mentality to the world cup, iceland are more than capable of beating nigeria who struggles against highly organised european sides

Croatia 1 Nigeria 1
Iceland 0 Nigeria 0
Argentina 2 Nigeria 3

we are overdue a result against Argentina.

We would never have had a better opportunity than now to get a result against them

Our thrashing of them would be on their minds and they may not attack as much and play more cautious, which would be good for us, or they may want to attack and finish us for revenge, which IMO would also be good for us as it would leave them weak to the counter.

Obviously the first 2 matches and the amount of points each team has by the time we meet will play significantly in how this match takes place.

Hopefully it will be like last WC where the match is a glorified friendly.