Victor Moses is one of the best wing-backs in world football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Victor Moses is one of the best wing-backs in world football

Post by balo »

Victor Moses is ‘one of the best wing-backs in world football’
by David Pasztor@D_Peezy Dec 3, 2017, 3:19pm PST

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com ... d-football

I’m not a huge fan of talking about pundit’s opinions — their job increasingly involves coming up with the biggest, loudest, hottest takes and seeing who can shout them the loudest (this is especially true in US sports media, but the UK is trending this way as well — but this topic generated a lively discussion during the big podcast crossover event between Chelsea Fancast and London is Blue on Saturday night as well, so I figured it could be worthwhile to bring up here as well.

“He makes a huge difference. With the system they play with wing-backs, he's taught himself - and the manager's obviously helped him - to be one of the best wing-backs in world football. It suits him that position, and there's no surprise that he was involved with the penalty, he's involved with the goal. I thought he was brilliant [against Newcastle] and he is top class."

-Jaime Redknapp; source: Sky via Evening Standard
So, just how good is Victor Moses? From my vantage point in the MHL, he looked quick and strong and very direct and miles better than his error-strewn first appearance following the hamstring injury that had taken him out of contention for almost two months. Great cross for Morata’s goal and great quickness to win the penalty for Hazard’s second. And no foul throws!

He was one of the great stories of last season, turning from anonymous Loan Army minion into key player as Chelsea won the Premier League in Antonio Conte’s first season. With a proper backup and competition in Davide Zappacosta, Moses could grow into an even better player this season.

Is he one of the best wing-backs in the world? That’s certainly a strong endorsement, but one that’s also vague enough to be easily defendable. To be a starter for Chelsea automatically puts you in a small top percentage of all players in the world, after all. There are no statistics to easily settle such a debate either. He certainly seems to stack favorably against other right wing-backs at the top teams in the Premier League, be that the veteran Antonio Valencia or speed-merchants Kyle Walker and Hector Bellerín. Would we take him over Kieran Trippier? Yep. Kyle Naughton? Danny Simpson? Any of the other right backs in the league? Yep, yep, and yep. Maybe the quality isn’t so high in the Premier League at this position?

Chelsea apparently tried to sign Thomas Meunier in the summer, but he decided to stay at PSG. Is Meunier better than Moses? How about Carvajal at Real Madrid or Kimmich at Bayern? I’d probably take Kimmich, but as fans, we do tend to under-rate our own players and overrate others’.

Upon this cursory examination, Redknapp just might have a point, especially if we restrict it to just right-sided players, since the quality seems much higher on the left side, in general.
Great to be back playing yesterday to help the team get another big 3 points #CFC pic.twitter.com/D8KdHDwBa4

— Victor Moses (@VictorMoses) December 3, 2017
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Victor Moses is one of the best wing-backs in world foot

Post by balo »

He is definitely enjoying life at Stanford Bridge. I wish him more success at the club and for Nigeria.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

2. VICTOR MOSES (7.9)
Minutes: 90
Touches: 91
Passes: 46**/54
Shots: 1/4
Take-ons: 1/3
Fouls drawn: 4
Tackles+INTs: 5
https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com ... er-ratings

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I heard the statement by Jamie Redknapp live on Sky Sports over the weekend. I thought to bring it up here but forgot.
Jamie definitely rates VM very highly and like the writer says, we do tend to underrate our own and overate others.

It'd be nice to know the statistics comparing Chelsea's performances with and without VM in the line-up.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Moses is one of the best in that position( I think because of his skills ,he makes it looks so easy, he can beat any player and will dribble the crap out of you,,he has pace and can track back..however for our SE, i prefer VicMO up front, also he tracks back a lot when wearing the green white green
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:I heard the statement by Jamie Redknapp live on Sky Sports over the weekend. I thought to bring it up here but forgot.
Jamie definitely rates VM very highly and like the writer says, we do tend to underrate our own and overate others.

It'd be nice to know the statistics comparing Chelsea's performances with and without VM in the line-up.
well so far this season , when he plays 90 mins, Chelsea no dey lose
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Victor Moses is definitely Nigeria best player and one of the best wingbacks in the entire world. I believe that his best position is as a right or left winger and not winger but tbh I am happy that his performing well at Chelsea. For Nigeria his absolutely exceptional definitely a joy to watch. I cannot wait for Moses and iwobi to be disrupting teams that the World Cup
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:Victor Moses is definitely Nigeria best player and one of the best wingbacks in the entire world. I believe that his best position is as a right or left winger and not winger but tbh I am happy that his performing well at Chelsea. For Nigeria his absolutely exceptional definitely a joy to watch. I cannot wait for Moses and iwobi to be disrupting teams that the World Cup

I do not think Iwobi is that talented. Yes, he can improve but is he ever going to be more than a goalscorer? I somehow doubt it.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I think only Dani Alves is better than Vic Mo.
http://www.naijiant.com/
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Ayo, iwobi is very talented and the most intelligent among all our players. His problems at Arsenal is confidence the moment he gets his confidence he would start scoring easily for arsenal. The likes of iwobi and Moses are sure starters for Nigeria any day or anytime. 2 world class talent should never be benched in a team like nigeria
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:Ayo, iwobi is very talented and the most intelligent among all our players. His problems at Arsenal is confidence the moment he gets his confidence he would start scoring easily for arsenal. The likes of iwobi and Moses are sure starters for Nigeria any day or anytime. 2 world class talent should never be benched in a team like nigeria

Iwobi at his best is just a goalscorer. Nigeria needs a lot more than that at the moment.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

False. Iwobi at his best has dribbling skills, visions, final pass ability, physically strong, pacy, awareness and intelligence. His even more intelligent than Victor Moses. There’s no way any of your backwater players should bench world class iwobi or moses
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

We need iwobi and Moses at the wings/playmaking creating while Iheanacho should just do his finishing as a top 9. The 3 of them has the potential to be world class players and they’re at a world class leagues. No one from backwater league can presently bench that trio
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
john12 wrote:Ayo, iwobi is very talented and the most intelligent among all our players. His problems at Arsenal is confidence the moment he gets his confidence he would start scoring easily for arsenal. The likes of iwobi and Moses are sure starters for Nigeria any day or anytime. 2 world class talent should never be benched in a team like nigeria

Iwobi at his best is just a goalscorer. Nigeria needs a lot more than that at the moment.
That is a lie!!! I begin to question your judgement and clarity of mind. Iwobi is sheer quality. He has all the attributes which includes goal scoring I might add.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I said it a few days ago that he is better than Kyle Walker. If he was English he'd be going to the WC, I think he is one of the main reasons they rushed to cap Abraham and Solanke...nobody could have predicted he'd be this good 5 years ago.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

:roll: :roll:
According to Arsene Wenger, Alex Iwobi's best quality is the management of the ball within tight spaces and at quick pace. Watch Iwobi's impact at Arsenal, even against Man United 2 days ago. Arsenal is able to flood the box with many players and control the ball within tight and small spaces with quick passing and movement. Alex Iwobi would have fitted in majestically in the tiki-taka generation of Barcelona ie Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pedro and co.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

highbury wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

That is a lie!!! I begin to question your judgement and clarity of mind. Iwobi is sheer quality. He has all the attributes which includes goal scoring I might add.
He's getting Iwobi confused for someone else. Osaze perhaps.?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

airwolex wrote:I said it a few days ago that he is better than Kyle Walker. If he was English he'd be going to the WC, I think he is one of the main reasons they rushed to cap Abraham and Solanke...nobody could have predicted he'd be this good 5 years ago.

Not true. Do you know that when Roberto Martinez was Wigan Athletic manager, he fought tooth and nail to keep Victor Moses English?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:I said it a few days ago that he is better than Kyle Walker. If he was English he'd be going to the WC, I think he is one of the main reasons they rushed to cap Abraham and Solanke...nobody could have predicted he'd be this good 5 years ago.
Yes, although it's more the capping of Iwobi, the "tapping up" of Abraham and rumours of other British-Nigerian players which saw them rushing to cap Abraham and Solanke.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Yes, although it's more the capping of Iwobi, the "tapping up" of Abraham and rumours of other British-Nigerian players which saw them rushing to cap Abraham and Solanke.
Its really hard to justify why Abraham and Solanke have been capped at this stage of their careers.
It has to be to keep them 'safe' from Nigeria.
Well, there are many more and like we've always said, they can't cap them all.
I am just sorry for Abraham, esp now that Swansea are threatened with relegation. If they sink, he might go back to Chelsea but probably shipped out again to a mid-level team.
His next England cap might be a very long way away....
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

cic old boy wrote:I think only Dani Alves is better than Vic Mo.
Is this 2010?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Its really hard to justify why Abraham and Solanke have been capped at this stage of their careers.
It has to be to keep them 'safe' from Nigeria.
Well, there are many more and like we've always said, they can't cap them all.
I am just sorry for Abraham, esp now that Swansea are threatened with relegation. If they sink, he might go back to Chelsea but probably shipped out again to a mid-level team.
His next England cap might be a very long way away....
Yep. Abraham needs a lot of work, I honestly think Solanke will be a very good player.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

With his physical and technical talents, it is very strange that Chelsea spent years loaning him out to Stoke, West Ham, Liverpool, and anyone else before Conte recognised his talent.