Mark Clattenburg: Allowed Spurs to self-destruct in 2016

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Mark Clattenburg: Allowed Spurs to self-destruct in 2016

Post by balo »

Mark Clattenburg: I allowed Tottenham to self-destruct against Chelsea in 2016

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42219327

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals.

In February, he left his job as a Premier League official to become Saudi Arabia's new head of referees.

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Allowed Spurs to self-destruct in 2016

Post by balo »

I am sure everyone remembers this game. But for an EPL referee to come out and say he refused to do his job and apply the rules as they should have been applied is shameful.

Careers of some players could have been cut short because of referees like Clattenburg.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

He just allowed Spuds to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race. :lol:
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Thunder wrote:He just allowed Spuds to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race. :lol:
LOL. Loser spirit did a number on them.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Not a good idea for a ref to admit that rather than officiate a game with cold objectivity, he was instead reffing it so as to avoid media headlines he would not like. :shock:

balo wrote:I am sure everyone remembers this game. But for an EPL referee to come out and say he refused to do his job and apply the rules as they should have been applied is shameful.

Careers of some players could have been cut short because of referees like Clattenburg.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

And Chelsea was made to pay fines for this tool's incompetence.
wiseone wrote:Not a good idea for a ref to admit that rather than officiate a game with cold objectivity, he was instead reffing it so as to avoid media headlines he would not like. :shock:

balo wrote:I am sure everyone remembers this game. But for an EPL referee to come out and say he refused to do his job and apply the rules as they should have been applied is shameful.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

To be honest, Spurs were disgraceful in that match. And one of their CE fans was calling Chelsea players names for finding their mojo and playing hard against them.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Nonsense. The point is being missed here. Clattenburg is merely stating that he acknowledged the measure of the situation and refereed it in that context. This was always going to be an OK Corrall and Clattenburg did the right thing by letting both sides cock back and go out firing. Anything less would've been a travesty. Title potentially at stake, London derby, by George there better be claret and plenty of it. The only shame here was Dembele's suspension. Overkill. 3 at most. Lest it be forgotten, Mousa was of Craven Cottage, t'is in his blood.
Last edited by Coach on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Coach wrote:Nonsense. The point is being missed here. Clattenburg is merely stating that he acknowledged the measure of the situation and refereed it in that context. Thus was also going to an OK Corrall and Clattenburg did the right thing by letting both sides cock back and go out firing. Anything less would've been a travesty. Title potentially at stake, London derby, by George there better be claret and plenty of it. The only shame here was Dembele's suspension. Overkill. 3 at most. Lest it be forgotten, Mousa was of Craven Cottage, t'is in his blood.

We understand what he was saying. But he should not have. He should have officiated within the rules of the trade.

Anyways, Spurs came close. They had themselves to blame and now, Clattenburg.

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

On the contrary, they cant blame Clatteburg at all. Thats the point. Tensions were tight, red mist rampant, twas easy for one red to be afforded the same ignominy as Gerrard's slip. Sensibly, Clattenburg left the blame to Spurs and Spurs alone.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Coach wrote:On the contrary, they cant blame Clatteburg at all. Thats the point. Tensions were tight, red mist rampant, twas easy for one red to be afforded the same ignominy as Gerrard's slip. Sensibly, Clattenburg left the blame to Spurs and Spurs alone.

Since his revelation, Spurs fans and Chelsea fans have come out with fangs bared.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

balo wrote:
Coach wrote:Nonsense. The point is being missed here. Clattenburg is merely stating that he acknowledged the measure of the situation and refereed it in that context. Thus was also going to an OK Corrall and Clattenburg did the right thing by letting both sides cock back and go out firing. Anything less would've been a travesty. Title potentially at stake, London derby, by George there better be claret and plenty of it. The only shame here was Dembele's suspension. Overkill. 3 at most. Lest it be forgotten, Mousa was of Craven Cottage, t'is in his blood.

We understand what he was saying. But he should not have. He should have officiated within the rules of the trade.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you seriously blaming Clattenburg for giving the Spurs a break?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."
It's no news but this is the main gist of the article. That way of thinking needs to change in order for the league to keep pace with the increased revenue stream that seeks not only to attract the best but also to retain them.

As far as Spurs, in fairness, Leicester was quite a few points ahead but the mere possibility or thought of Spurs needing and grabbing all three points at the bridge just to keep their hopes alive was enough to rally all the troops both walking and wounded to hold it down for a good cause. That has to be the most satisfying 2-2 draw ever witnessed at the bridge. That was an instant classic for Chelsea fans :taunt:
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Kabalega wrote:
balo wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you seriously blaming Clattenburg for giving the Spurs a break?
They didn't need a break. Call the game fair. Imagine if they got 3 reds that day. A W for Chelsea for sure. :D
The season was so bad for Chelsea already. A game ending like 7 - 2 against Spurs would have eased some pains.

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Coach wrote:Nonsense. The point is being missed here. Clattenburg is merely stating that he acknowledged the measure of the situation and refereed it in that context. This was always going to be an OK Corrall and Clattenburg did the right thing by letting both sides cock back and go out firing. Anything less would've been a travesty. Title potentially at stake, London derby, by George there better be claret and plenty of it. The only shame here was Dembele's suspension. Overkill. 3 at most. Lest it be forgotten, Mousa was of Craven Cottage, t'is in his blood.
:clap: :clap:

how many RC's would have been issued to Arse and United players back in the early 2000's.

Abeg, nothing to see here.

Man's game.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:
Coach wrote:Nonsense. The point is being missed here. Clattenburg is merely stating that he acknowledged the measure of the situation and refereed it in that context. This was always going to be an OK Corrall and Clattenburg did the right thing by letting both sides cock back and go out firing. Anything less would've been a travesty. Title potentially at stake, London derby, by George there better be claret and plenty of it. The only shame here was Dembele's suspension. Overkill. 3 at most. Lest it be forgotten, Mousa was of Craven Cottage, t'is in his blood.
:clap: :clap:

how many RC's would have been issued to Arse and United players back in the early 2000's.

Abeg, nothing to see here.

Man's game.

Keane, RvN and at east one other Man U thug should have been getting reds every game. Arsenal players were brave gentlemen (Viera, Lauren, Jens, etc) :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: at least compared to Man U thugs :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^See names. Jens, King Lauren, Brigadier General, Keane. Men.

Pogba goes in studs up on My Son, where was the melee? If ever there was a call for an all in, it was then. That was the biggest disappointment of the day.
Last edited by Coach on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Coach wrote:^See names. Jens, King Lauren, Brigadier General, Keane. Men.

Pogba goes in studs up on My Son, where was the melee? If ever there was a call for an all in, it was then. That was the biggest disappointment of the day.
Coach, your head no dey house :rotf:
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Coach wrote:^See names. Jens, King Lauren, Brigadier General, Keane. Men.

The title was not at stake. Lol.

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Past. Present. Posterity. That was the invitation for legend to be made and none obliged. Pathetic. What happens at that moment back in the golden era? Keown's in, Cole's in, Kolo's there, Brigadier's giving best, Jens' shoving one or two, Lauren (Field Marshall) doing the necessary. Proper.