Baba 0tu Mohammed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Baba 0tu Mohammed

Post by The Eagle »

I am disappointed to see how difficult they found a couple of questions .... and just as disappointed with the producers of the show for choosing to ask the final question. Are we as Nigerians supposed to cram the chronological list of foreign presidents?

[/video]
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Re: Baba 0tu Mohammed

Post by The Eagle »

For those who don't know who he is ....

Whoever wrote the article makes the oft-repeated mistake of conflating league-era clubs like Mighty Jets and Plateau United with the Thunder Balogun-era "Plateau 11" provincial teams.
Baba 0tu Mohammed: Mighty jet winger who dribbled three Christians in a row
By Gowon Akpodonor
24 June 2016 | 4:48 am

Nigerian football lovers, who were privileged to listen to the legendary radio commentator, late Ernest Okonkwo from the early 1970s to late 80s will not forget the name, Baba 0tu Mohammed.

A great dribbler, Baba 0tu, as he is fondly called, remains one of the best finishers in Nigeria’s football history. He was an integral part of the then Green Eagles team that reigned supreme in Africa in the late 70s and early 80s. His days saw the Green Eagles winning the nation’s first continental medal, a bronze, at Addis Ababa ’76 Africa Nations Cup, where Baba 0tu emerged as the tournament Best Right Winger.

Though, Baba 0tu hails from Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State, he was born and brought up in Ghana. He had his post elementary education at Kumasi Secondary Technical School, where the seed of his soccer career was planted, watered and nurtured to stardom.

In late 1960s, when the government and people of Ghana asked Nigerians residing in their country to go, he and his parents relocated to Nigeria.“Before that era of ‘Nigerians must go,’ I had featured prominently for Ghana Academicals team against Nigeria,” Baba 0tu recalled in an interview with The Guardian during the week. “The annual Academicals Games between the two countries actually gave me the platform to launch myself into the national team.”

The growth of academicals, a synonym for school-boys football, opened up a new generation of players who went on to dominate the scene for years. Baba 0tu Mohammed epitomized the super-stars of that era. He was worshipped, particularly in the North Central for his skills.

On arrival in Nigeria in 1973, Baba 0tu Mohammed easily bulldozed his ways into the star-studded Mighty Jets FC of Jos, where he formed a great strike force with the likes of Sam Garba Okoye, Sule Kekere, Layiwola Olagbemiro, Ismail Mabo and the Atuegbu brothers.

Then, the city of Jos was a breeding ground for some of the most celebrated footballers in Nigeria with the likes of Christopher Udemezue, Peter Anieke and Tony Igwe making big headlines.

Perhaps, one match many Nigerian soccer fans will live to remember was the Challenge Cup final between Mighty Jets and The Flying Antelope, Rangers of Enugu, in 1976.

Mighty Jets had made numerous failed attempts to win the FA Cup in the 50s and 60s, and all eyes were on Baba 0tu, who was fresh from the Nations Cup in Addis Ababa to make history, though Rangers with its star-studded players were favoured to win. The Flying Antelopes did, but in a hard way in Lagos.

“On that particular day, the National Stadium in Lagos was filled to capacity,” Baba 0tu reminisced. “There was tension in both camps, but I was calm because our people back home were looking up to me to deliver the cup. We tried our best, but it was so painful we lost it to Rangers,” he lamented.

Then, one major factor driving Nigerian football was the existence of the late Ernest Okonkwo, one of the rare breed first class radio commentators in the 1970s and 80s. Okonkwo had the flair of bringing to life any football event he was covering to his listening audience. He was as animated as he was adept at holding his audience captive. With Okonkwo on radio commentary, there was never a dull moment.

The Challenge Cup final between Mighty Jets and Rangers was heading to close with The Flying Antelopes leading when Baba 0tu had one rare opportunity to give the fans something to take home.

This was how Ernest Okonkwo captured the situation on radio commentary. “He beats Christian Chukwu; he beats Christian Madu and he beats Christian Nwokocha. This man has beaten three Christians in a row. Who is this man? He must be a Muslim… Oh, he is Baba 0tu Mohammed.”Though Mighty Jets lost the match, the fans who came from different parts of the country went home satisfied with the performance of Baba 0tu Mohammed.

Before then, he had led Mighty Jets to the semifinal of the 1973 African Cup competition, and was on the verge of winning it for Nigeria. He recalled: “That was the same year Lagos played host to the first National Sports Festival. Some of us were in the Benue/Plateau team preparing for the festival. Then, Might Jets was to play the semifinal of the African Cup competition against a club in Zaire, but our people were more interested in the National Sports Festival. So, we couldn’t go to Zaire, and Mighty Jets was walked over. In the National Sports Festival, we (Benue/Plateau team) lost to East Central State in the final.”

Known for his flair and speed in the outside right, Baba 0tu later formed a strong bond with the late midfield maestro, Muda Lawal, Kunle Awesu, Sunny Oyarekhua, Haruna Ilerika, Joe Erico and Emma Tetteh in the Green Eagles squad of 1976 to win the nation’s first continental medal, a bronze in Addis Ababa.

They defeated Congo PR 3-1 aggregate to qualify for Addis Ababa ’76. In the Nations Cup proper held in the city of Dire Dawa, the Green Eagles defeated Zaire 4-2, beat Sudan 1-0, lost 1-3 to Morocco and drew 1-1 with Guinea. In the second phase, Nigeria again lost 1-2 to Morocco and beat Egypt 3-2 to finish third in the final classification behind Guinea and Morocco, hence the bronze medal.

The Atlas Lions of Morocco won the title, but Baba #$% and the gang returned home as heroes. While Baba 0tu was voted the Best Right Winger of the tournament, Kunle Awesu emerged as the Best Left Winger.

Looking back to his schoolboy playing days in Kumasi and career in Mighty Jets, Baba 0tu, who is currently the General Manager of Mighty Jets FC, said the NFF would do the nation’s football a great favour, if it can revive football competitions among schools.

“It was in school football competitions that players like Stephan Keshi and Humphrey Edobor were discovered. It was also during school games in Lagos that Adokie Amiesiamaka was discovered. So, I expect the NFF to do more in the area of school football instead of relying on football academy scattered all over the country. The NFF should work with the Ministry of Education in this regard because it will lift our football,” Baba 0tu stated.

The draws for Russia 2018 World Cup will take place today and Baba 0tu says the Super Eagles must do everything to make the nation proud: “We need players who are dedicated, devoted and talented that are ready to work. In our playing days, we didn’t have any professional players playing for the Green Eagles but we achieved good results. It is not a matter of foreign professional players or local players making the Super Eagles team. If we have professional players who are in super form, doing well in their various leagues in Europe and elsewhere in the world, the coach in charge of the senior national team should go for them.

“Also, if it is in the home front that we have players doing impressively in the Nigerian Premier League and other leagues in the land, let the coach go for them. We need our best players in the Super Eagles as far as the race to Russia 2018 is concerned,” he stated.

In his playing days for the then Green Eagles, Baba 0tu and his teammates got little inceptives compared to the present generation of players. “Yes, I can tell you that in our days, we received only N2 (two naira) a day as our daily allowance,” he said. “But our joy then was that we were able to make the team. They dream of every player then was to wear the national team jerseys and everybody struggled to represent the nation. The focus then was not really on monetary inceptives.

“At the end of a continental match, we only received one hundred naira (N100) as match bonus. But we were committed and happy that we were counted among the best players to represent the country. We need that commitment in this generation of Super Eagles players because that is the only way we can take our football forward. The African Nations Cup will take place next year (2017) and Nigeria will not be there. So, we should do everything to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Every hand must be on deck; coaches, NFF officials, players, supporters club members and even journalists. We must be in Russia 2018 World Cup,” Baba #$% stated.

Like some other ex-players, who want their children to follow their footsteps in sports, Baba 0tu is already grooming one of his children, Abdulraheem, in the round leather game.

He said: “Abdulraheem, my last born is a highly gifted footballer. He is capable of doing anything with football. I can say that Abdulraheem is a better player than myself when I was playing at his age. I see him making a good living in football. I pray for him everyday and I will do everything to support and encourage him,” Baba 0tu added.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The poor guy's name in the article is being bleeped out all over the place

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
What's the problem with the word '#$%'?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Damunk wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Damn!
They've bleeped me out too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Damn!
It is an Igbo word for female genital. Spelt same way but pronounced differently.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

how can someone named 0tu be from Nigeria. 0tu or Otoo is a Ga name
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

aykwes8 wrote:how can someone named 0tu be from Nigeria. 0tu or Otoo is a Ga name
I have a friend from Cross River with that name.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Baba 0tu
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

aykwes8 wrote:how can someone named 0tu be from Nigeria. 0tu or Otoo is a Ga name
There was a rumour that he was a Ghanaian claiming to be Nigerian (this was not unusual back in the day). So not sure if this from the article above is true:
Though, Baba 0tu hails from Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State, he was born and brought up in Ghana. He had his post elementary education at Kumasi Secondary Technical School, where the seed of his soccer career was planted, watered and nurtured to stardom.
http://www.naijiant.com/
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

He was a Ghanaian at best an hausa Ghanaian.....he came to Nigeria from Ghana. Raccah Rovers of Kano at their height had several Ghanains of hausa extractions . .. You need to watch them play back in the day to see the ghanain influence!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

oloye wrote:He was a Ghanaian at best an hausa Ghanaian.....he came to Nigeria from Ghana. Raccah Rovers of Kano at their height had several Ghanains of hausa extractions . .. You need to watch them play back in the day to see the ghanain influence!
Chief, una remembered those guys for Ayufssalam FC in Ilorin... most of them claimed to be either from Ogbomosho or Ilorin :woot: . they are actually Ghanaians from Zongo Town and Kumasi :woot:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Damn!
It is an Igbo word for female genital. Spelt same way but pronounced differently.
:P #$%~kpor~kpor nnegi
:veryangry:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Senator WIRES wrote:
oloye wrote:He was a Ghanaian at best an hausa Ghanaian.....he came to Nigeria from Ghana. Raccah Rovers of Kano at their height had several Ghanains of hausa extractions . .. You need to watch them play back in the day to see the ghanain influence!
Chief, una remembered those guys for Ayufssalam FC in Ilorin... most of them claimed to be either from Ogbomosho or Ilorin :woot: . they are actually Ghanaians from Zongo Town and Kumasi :woot:
Hahahaha.....you are right oh!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Senator WIRES wrote:
Well, sometimes one has to do what is necessary to live in peace. Thus, maybe you are right, but ...
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The Eagle wrote: For those who don't know who he is ....

Whoever wrote the article makes the oft-repeated mistake of conflating league-era clubs like Mighty Jets and Plateau United with the Thunder Balogun-era "Plateau 11" provincial teams.
Baba 0tu Mohammed: Mighty jet winger who dribbled three Christians in a row
By Gowon Akpodonor
24 June 2016 | 4:48 am

Nigerian football lovers, who were privileged to listen to the legendary radio commentator, late Ernest Okonkwo from the early 1970s to late 80s will not forget the name, Baba 0tu Mohammed
Sabastine Ofrum was equally good. Thus, Ernest Okonkwo (RIP) and Sabastine Ofrum (RIP) were the two BEST Nigerian radio commentators I admired beyond description. They were the BEST.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

oloye wrote:
Senator WIRES wrote:
Hahahaha.....you are right oh!

Actually, many Ghanaians claim Offa, not Ilorin. I believe there is some kind of link between Offa and Ghana
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Damn!

Blame Ogolo for that. Once he found out the meaning in Igbo, he started abusing it until Suya, I think, bleeped it out.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

aruako1 wrote:

It is present in Kogi State as well...some kind of titled family name. Pronounced Oh-tu.

I believe it also means lazy person in Yoruba.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

0tu is Ga-Dangme origin. Others can ave it but it is one of the typical Ga names out there. Hausa’s in Ghana do not have any peculiar tribal names. Most of them have Africanized Arabic compound names and they are not easily identified by their names.
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

It is present in Kogi State as well...some kind of titled family name. Pronounced Oh-tu.

I believe it also means lazy person in Yoruba.
Thats the way the Gas also pronounce it OOh-Tu
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Senator WIRES wrote:
Bros,

You mean Ayufssalam Rocks FC of Ilorin. Now that was a team. Kai!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Goldleaf wrote:
Senator WIRES wrote:
Bros,

You mean Ayufssalam Rocks FC of Ilorin. Now that was a team. Kai!
It is actually Alyufsalam...from Alhaji Yusuf Salami the founder.