What To Do About Joel Obi? Great Article.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

db10
Egg
Egg
Re: What To Do About Joel Obi? Great Article.

Post by db10 »

Ancestry.com may reveal he’s related to Daniel Sturridge
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

db10 wrote:Ancestry.com may reveal he’s related to Daniel Sturridge
Same tree line with Diaby too.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cito wrote:

Cousins with Rosicky and that Canadian Man U guy who was always injured.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Sunset wrote:
deanotito wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:This writer totally gets it. MIkel - Onazi - Ndidi is not creative and unpredictable enough. Onazi is not a great ball player, Ndidi is first a "Srapper" but a slightly better ball handler. We need creativity from deep, we need to be able to hold possession in the midfield, while keeping our tightness.

Mikel should not be our only creative point in our midfield. We need more. If MIkel gets marked out, a second midfielder continues.

For me, I want a Obi, Obi, Ndidi midfield
Problem is if Mikel gets shackled - we're in trouble
Not really bros. with Iwobi and Moses, we have 2 other players that can definitely change a game against any team right now IMO.
Bros, if our offensive threat down the middle gets shackled, we’re in trouble. Moses can try to create but without that support, he will tire quick. Moses is good but if you’re expecting him to bob and weave the same way he does with African players, think again. This is the WC...Standards are higher. Only truly transcendent players like Messi and Okocha can maintain their game at any level.

Iwobi, on his own, has not convinced me that he can fill in that kind of gap. I’m not even sure he has beaten Moses Simon for the job tbh.

We need JMO. Unless we can spot another attacking midfield option before next year, we need JMO.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

john12 wrote:What’s with folks here and personal insults?? Sometimes, we act like people at online forum knows us personally. We need to learn how to disagree without insulting each other personally. Maybe, an occasional jibe but it shouldn’t be continuous. Look at how Joel Obi thread has been derailed to insulting one another. My brothers it’s not that serious o
john12, Thanks for reminding us again about the need for the most basic of human relationship requirements- respect. Sadly, some on this forum have simply lost the plot and are incorrigibly intolerant of divergent views. Healthy, vibrant and respectful debates are all we ask for.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I think we need Joel Obi in our squad. His problem, however, remains staying fit. Like Chris Obodo, Seyi Olajengbesi, Jero Shakpore, Justice Christopher and Emeka Ifejuagwa, his career has been afflicted by injury.

I believe some if not all of these guys could go on to become world class players were it not for injury. I do not see Joel starting but we could do with him on the bench. I am glad we have depth in central midfield.

Our problem now, however, lies in the creative midfield. Where are the playmakers coming through ooooo?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote:
icee wrote:
john12 wrote:Honest question. If Joel was fit and called up to Nigeria present squad would he make our starting 11 in his natural midfield position or be a bench player?
Starter. Very smart player , highly skillful. The more clever players we have with great technique ...the better , the better the flow, the better the read
Squad player IMO.
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Joel Obi starts if he's fit.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Gotti wrote:
Dammy wrote:
icee wrote:
john12 wrote:Honest question. If Joel was fit and called up to Nigeria present squad would he make our starting 11 in his natural midfield position or be a bench player?
Starter. Very smart player , highly skillful. The more clever players we have with great technique ...the better , the better the flow, the better the read
Squad player IMO.
:agree:
My thoughts as well. I don't think he would make the squad though.
If he can stay healthy, he can be an integral part of Nigeria's squad
to the next ANC we qualify for.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If he stays fit and is back to his best, I am going to made a radical suggestion and suggest that he plays leftback. He is a left footed player and can make a world of difference to the team.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Prospective pickin na Jack Wilshere...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:If he stays fit and is back to his best, I am going to made a radical suggestion and suggest that he plays leftback. He is a left footed player and can make a world of difference to the team.
Not that radical a suggestion - it's been put forward many times here. Given our options at left back and Obi's qualities - we're better off deploying him in midfield.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Cristao II wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Prospective pickin na Jack Wilshere...
Him 1st cousin na Vincent Kompany...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Great read. :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Undisputed starter.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:If he stays fit and is back to his best, I am going to made a radical suggestion and suggest that he plays leftback. He is a left footed player and can make a world of difference to the team.
Not that radical a suggestion - it's been put forward many times here. Given our options at left back and Obi's qualities - we're better off deploying him in midfield.
We do not have a leftback of Joel's quality. Besides, in midfield we have enough depth with Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
We do not have a leftback of Joel's quality. Besides, in midfield we have enough depth with Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi.

do we have a GK of his quality?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

do we have a GK of his quality?
Yes. Francis Uzoho!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bros his natural position is not LB, he will help the team as a midfielder who can fill in a few other spots as the needs arise. I though you said Aina and Idowu were the next best thing since sliced bread.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bros his natural position is not LB, he will help the team as a midfielder who can fill in a few other spots as the needs arise. I though you said Aina and Idowu were the next best thing since sliced bread.
Joel Obi will be a better leftback than both Aina and Idowu. For starters, both of them are right footed while he is left footed.

In midfield, we are sorted with Ndidi and Mikel. We just need a playmaker and we are in serious business. Ighalo just needs to bring that form we saw at Watford to the table
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Iheanacho should definitely start ahead of ighalo as a top 9. His finishing, awareness and most expecially set-piece abilities gives him the edge ahead of ighalo and Martins
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:

Undisputed starter.
Joel doesn't even have a recent video of his skills on Youtube. The one up there is 4 years old!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Undisputed starter.
Joel doesn't even have a recent video of his skills on Youtube. The one up there is 4 years old!
So we must pick our team via YouTube clips? Take time, Mr. Damunkey!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.