Moses and Mikel are our only two world class players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Moses and Mikel are our only two world class players

Post by john12 »

Chief I am comparing performances for super eagles and not club sides. Also, most of the players you listed were playing for backwater clubs therefore the metrics for comparison shouldn’t be the same. I believe that our current forward line of Moses, Iheanacho, iwobi, musa, Martins, and ighalo are as good as any super eagles forward line ever. Their wcq performances can attest to it
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

john12 wrote:Chief I am comparing performances for super eagles and not club sides. Also, most of the players you listed were playing for backwater clubs therefore the metrics for comparison shouldn’t be the same. I believe that our current forward line of Moses, Iheanacho, iwobi, musa, Martins, and ighalo are as good as any super eagles forward line ever. Their wcq performances can attest to it
Most times, Football is like continous assessment. You must do well consistently in tests and practicals and by the time exams come, you are almost certain to do well. No country in the world has won the WC or gotten to the finals/ semi using bench warmers and 2nd teamers.

Also, all the players i listed where playing for these clubs as off June 1993 and the ANC and WC where all in 1994!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Well, all our forward line would easily be starters now if they were playing at much lower clubs beneath their level. This guys instilled in me some new elements of respect after conquering that group of death and doing it with class, grace and elegance. Nigeria are really 2 or 3 world class players from performing exceptionally. A world class playmaker, Cb and full back and we can get there
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

chief nfachairman wrote:
john12 wrote:Chief I am comparing performances for super eagles and not club sides. Also, most of the players you listed were playing for backwater clubs therefore the metrics for comparison shouldn’t be the same. I believe that our current forward line of Moses, Iheanacho, iwobi, musa, Martins, and ighalo are as good as any super eagles forward line ever. Their wcq performances can attest to it
Most times, Football is like continous assessment. You must do well consistently in tests and practicals and by the time exams come, you are almost certain to do well. No country in the world has won the WC or gotten to the finals/ semi using bench warmers and 2nd teamers.

Also, all the players i listed where playing for these clubs as off June 1993 and the ANC and WC where all in 1994!
Klose, Gotze and Podolski say hello

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:You are spot on NFA Chair. Only eight teams have ever won the World Cup - Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, France, Spain, Uruguay and England. For the next two World Cups at least, the first six appear to still be the names on the horizon.

These nations do not take the World Cup lightly as they constantly churn out top class talent. For now, the only team that look like joining them in the short term is Holland. If we want to seek membership of this elite club, we need to step up our game big time.

This is why I am pleased that Rohr has had his contract extended beyond the World Cup. He needs to build in what he has achieved and continue unearthing top talent, kind of like Clemence Westerhoff did.

Westerhoff was in the job for five years and as such it is no surprise that he uncovered many good players who went to represent Nigeria long after he left office. We need a similar long term programme. I would be hoping that Rohr also works with the academies to recruit kids from a tender age.
Holland :?: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Dam I hope your Italy still going to Russia.SMH
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Apart from good finishing what does Iwobi bring to the team? Iheanacho can never be a Super Eagles starter. His first touch is simply atrocious.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ihenacho’s first touch was good for two assists against Argentina. It’s really funny how you can fixate on and perpetuate a totally fictitious notion :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Apart from good finishing what does Iwobi bring to the team? Iheanacho can never be a Super Eagles starter. His first touch is simply atrocious.

Ihenacho’s first touch was good for two assists against Argentina. It’s really funny how you can fixate on and perpetuate a totally fictitious notion :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.

Go and watch the match again. For our third goal, he mis-controlled the ball but fortunately, it fell into the path of Idowu. In Ndola too, his heavy touch took the ball too far away from him but we got away with it. Do you think Man City were crazy to go and buy Jesus Gabriel?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

Go and watch the match again. For our third goal, he mis-controlled the ball but fortunately, it fell into the path of Idowu. In Ndola too, his heavy touch took the ball too far away from him but we got away with it. Do you think Man City were crazy to go and buy Jesus Gabriel?
You are clearly over-exaggerating because you could ask a similar question as to why Man City went out of their way to buy him and fast track him to the first team in the first place if his touch was so atrocious. He clearly has quality and his touch could be better, but saying its atrocious is just your normal over-exaggeration.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
guest83 wrote:Moses is starting games for Chelsea because of the system Conte prefers not because he is world class.

Other than that I agree with most of your points, especially (6). Only Mikel can be compared to those legends. The likes if Iwobi, Iheanacho doesn't fill me with much confidence. They will crumble under pressure.
I must confess that I am not sold on Iwobi or Iheanacho either. Neither of them have shown they have the ability to take a game by the across of the neck. Contrast this with what JJ brouught to the team and you can see that they are just average players.

Back to Victor Moses, I do not get your point. What has the Chelsea formation got to do with this discussion.
Iwobi is coming into his own with the SE. He has become a vital cog in the SE as his performances in his last 3 matches for the SE has shown. I was not worried when he opted out of the WCQs against Cameroon but since that Zambian match he has stepped up. If Moses, Nacho and Iwobi are in form during the WC, no team can stop us.
Apart from good finishing what does Iwobi bring to the team? Iheanacho can never be a Super Eagles starter. His first touch is simply atrocious.
..alerting Rehab..."hello...Uncle A don JA again O!" :twisted:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

You are clearly over-exaggerating because you could ask a similar question as to why Man City went out of their way to buy him and fast track him to the first team in the first place if his touch was so atrocious. He clearly has quality and his touch could be better, but saying its atrocious is just your normal over-exaggeration.
Man City bought him from the U17 World Cup because they saw god potential. Fours years has been enough for him to improve on his touch. When it became he showed no signs of addressing the problem, the club decided to act.

I have been one of Iheanacho’s biggest fans and think he is a great goal scorer but we have got to be honest with ourselves. We must accept the shortcomings of our players.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

Man City bought him from the U17 World Cup because they saw god potential. Fours years has been enough for him to improve on his touch. When it became he showed no signs of addressing the problem, the club decided to act.

I have been one of Iheanacho’s biggest fans and think he is a great goal scorer but we have got to be honest with ourselves. We must accept the shortcomings of our players.
Of course his touch can be a short coming, but the fact is you are exaggerating how bad it is. And he was on the chopping block not because he wasn't performing but simply because a new coach came in with a different philosophy. Even Kun Aguero is suffering from the same issue regardless of his 'touch'. I know its your MO to jump out the window, but Iheanacho can and will start for the SE, and is a great asset for us even with his sometimes faulty touch.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

Of course his touch can be a short coming, but the fact is you are exaggerating how bad it is. And he was on the chopping block not because he wasn't performing but simply because a new coach came in with a different philosophy. Even Kun Aguero is suffering from the same issue regardless of his 'touch'. I know its your MO to jump out the window, but Iheanacho can and will start for the SE, and is a great asset for us even with his sometimes faulty touch.
No team has ever or will ever win the World Cup with starters who cannot control the ball closely. Iheanacho has his assets, especially his eye for goal. I see him as very handy when we are chasing a goal, so think he is a very handy option to have on the bench.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Scipio Africanus wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Please kLose and Gotze were regular starters at their clubs while Podolski who was not a regular at his club started only one match for Germany at the WC (last group match against USA).

Soccerway.com should be your friend.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Cheers.
While not knocking Nacho (i dont think he has a poor first touch), his assist to Iwobi looked more like a mistake than a planned pass.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:

Cheers.
While not knocking Nacho (i dont think he has a poor first touch), his assist to Iwobi looked more like a mistake than a planned pass.
Idowu you mean.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Please kLose and Gotze were regular starters at their clubs while Podolski who was not a regular at his club started only one match for Germany at the WC (last group match against USA).

Soccerway.com should be your friend.
You should unfriend soccer way.com and befriend google. Google is your friend! :mrgreen:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 93738.html
Klose is coming off a quiet season with Bayern, where he was mostly a backup for Mario Gomez, the Bundesliga's top scorer with 28 goals. Klose managed only one goal in 20 appearances
I will leave you to do the research on the other players.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

No team has ever or will ever win the World Cup with starters who cannot control the ball closely. Iheanacho has his assets, especially his eye for goal. I see him as very handy when we are chasing a goal, so think he is a very handy option to have on the bench.
Btw, your boy Onyekuru also shares this same problem and needs to work on his touch to be able to keep the ball close while moving at his blistering pace, let's pray they both improve, but they can still do the business for the SE.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Players who would be starters in my XI that need to work on their first touch
Leon Balogun
William Ekong
Wilfred Ndidi
Henry Onyekuru