What To Do About Joel Obi? Great Article.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What To Do About Joel Obi? Great Artic

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
john12 wrote:Honest question. If Joel was fit and called up to Nigeria present squad would he make our starting 11 in his natural midfield position or be a bench player?

Undisputed starter.
Joel doesn't even have a recent video of his skills on Youtube. The one up there is 4 years old!
So we must pick our team via YouTube clips? Take time, Mr. Damunkey!

That’s where people get their opinions from. CE is yamtube university :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What To Do About Joel Obi? Great Article.

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:If he stays fit and is back to his best, I am going to made a radical suggestion and suggest that he plays leftback. He is a left footed player and can make a world of difference to the team.
Not that radical a suggestion - it's been put forward many times here. Given our options at left back and Obi's qualities - we're better off deploying him in midfield.
We do not have a leftback of Joel's quality. Besides, in midfield we have enough depth with Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi.

do we have a GK of his quality?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:If he stays fit and is back to his best, I am going to made a radical suggestion and suggest that he plays leftback. He is a left footed player and can make a world of difference to the team.
Not that radical a suggestion - it's been put forward many times here. Given our options at left back and Obi's qualities - we're better off deploying him in midfield.
We do not have a leftback of Joel's quality. Besides, in midfield we have enough depth with Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi.
Bros his natural position is not LB, he will help the team as a midfielder who can fill in a few other spots as the needs arise. I though you said Aina and Idowu were the next best thing since sliced bread.

Joel Obi will be a better leftback than both Aina and Idowu.
For starters, both of them are right footed while he is left footed.

In midfield, we are sorted with Ndidi and Mikel. We just need a playmaker and we are in serious business. Ighalo just needs to bring that form we saw at Watford to the table
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are very good for entertainment.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Joel isn't a left-back. Period.

You've named the three starters in the midfield. That isn't depth! You must want us to play three games then return home!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

We have to realize that in addition to Mikel, Onazi and ndidi there are Etebo and ogu available
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Joel isn't a left-back. Period.

You've named the three starters in the midfield. That isn't depth! You must want us to play three games then return home!
(1) Some of you are so exasperating it is unbelievable
(2) I would play Mikel and Ndidi in central midfield, with Onazi and Etebo on my bench
(3) I would have Ogu and Agu on standby
(4) Joel Obi is not needed there as we have sufficient depth in midfield
(5) Victor Moses is not a wingback but he plays there for Chelsea
(6) It is not uncommon for players to play in different positions for club and country
(7) Leroy Sane plays upfront for Man City but is a wingback for Germany
(8) As we speak, only Joel and Iheanacho are left footed in the squad
(9) Joel Obi has played at leftback for Inter Milan before and I can tell you he is a far better option there than Idowu and Aina who are bith right footed
(10) My only concern with Joel is fitness. If he is healthy, he and Ebuehi will give us the much desired width!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
john12 wrote:Honest question. If Joel was fit and called up to Nigeria present squad would he make our starting 11 in his natural midfield position or be a bench player?

Undisputed starter.
Joel doesn't even have a recent video of his skills on Youtube. The one up there is 4 years old!
So we must pick our team via YouTube clips? Take time, Mr. Damunkey!
Ugh! That came out so wrong....
I'm actually complaining about it, not using it as a reason not to invite him.
I'm a fan! I just want to see recent clips of him.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bros his natural position is not LB, he will help the team as a midfielder who can fill in a few other spots as the needs arise. I though you said Aina and Idowu were the next best thing since sliced bread.
Joel Obi will be a better leftback than both Aina and Idowu. For starters, both of them are right footed while he is left footed.

In midfield, we are sorted with Ndidi and Mikel. We just need a playmaker and we are in serious business. Ighalo just needs to bring that form we saw at Watford to the table

Ok I get it. He is your latest flavor and thus better. Idowu and Aina are becoming old news because they have played for Rorh. Gat it! :mrgreen:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

john12 wrote:Iheanacho should definitely start ahead of ighalo as a top 9. His finishing, awareness and most expecially set-piece abilities gives him the edge ahead of ighalo and Martins
Iheanacho's presence allows the CDs to breath and get bold while Ighalo makes them sweat a few more ounces. I don't know about you but as for me, I will have Ighalo harrassing the defence all day long for my team over Kelechi.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Ighalo misses too many chances. We need efficient players in super eagles Iheanacho game to goal ratio speaks volumes also his set piece abilities gives him the edge. Ighalo and Martins are good replacement sha
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I think we all have short memories here. Folks should go watch the friendly vs Argentina from a few years back to reacquaint themselves with what level he is capable of.

The question is not whether he starts but rather if he is capable of recapturing the performance from back then, especially given the injury history.

He is a much higher quality player than Onazi. Besides Ndidi in central midfield, he offers much greater balance in LCM.

His on field relationship with Mikel back then was mighty impressive.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Txt with all due respect, the friendly against weakened Argentina team cannot be measured To judge a player quality. It was an extremely water-downed Argentina team. Also, The sequel to that game at bandagash ended as a loss for super eagles. Onazi for me starts ahead of Joel Obi in the middle his very energetic, strong tackler, stronger, powerful and faster and has that elusive World Cup experience. I personally believe Joel would be best suited as a substitute
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

john12 wrote:Txt with all due respect, the friendly against weakened Argentina team cannot be measured To judge a player quality. It was an extremely water-downed Argentina team. Also, The sequel to that game at bandagash ended as a loss for super eagles. Onazi for me starts ahead of Joel Obi in the middle his very energetic, strong tackler, stronger, powerful and faster and has that elusive World Cup experience. I personally believe Joel would be best suited as a substitute
Might’ve been a weakened Argentina team but it still had quality in midfield. Besides that wasn’t the only game he played for Nigeria back then.

By far a superior player to Onazi
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I disagree on him being far superior to Onazi. The choice is very arguable because Onazi has also put in great performances over the years. I believe Obi along with etebo and ogu should be our starters replacement
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Undisputed starter.
:lol: We have seen enough to know what he has offered in the past when he featured in the national team set up, we can see a hint of what he could currently offer via his performances at his club this season. If he is fit, bobo go collect starting spot.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote:I think we all have short memories here. Folks should go watch the friendly vs Argentina from a few years back to reacquaint themselves with what level he is capable of.

The question is not whether he starts but rather if he is capable of recapturing the performance from back then, especially given the injury history.

He is a much higher quality player than Onazi. Besides Ndidi in central midfield, he offers much greater balance in LCM.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Like i said, starter!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

txj wrote:I think we all have short memories here. Folks should go watch the friendly vs Argentina from a few years back to reacquaint themselves with what level he is capable of.

He is a much higher quality player than Onazi. Besides Ndidi in central midfield, he offers much greater balance in LCM

KPOM. Joel Obi in only second to Mikel on a scale focused on skill, IQ and technique. They guy is skill o po!. Please go watch that Argentina game from Siaisa times. Ndidi add first rate break up ability and Joel isn't as good at that. I'm seeing names like Ogu, ??? Ogu ke??? I have watched Ogu play many times and washed my eyes hoping he'll get better. If we're going with Ogu, I don't know. Obi in my view is better than Onazi. I'm happy some people see what some of us see
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

icee wrote:

He is a much higher quality player than Onazi. Besides Ndidi in central midfield, he offers much greater balance in LCM

KPOM. Joel Obi in only second to Mikel on a scale focused on skill, IQ and technique. They guy is skill o po!. Please go watch that Argentina game from Siaisa times. Ndidi add first rate break up ability and Joel isn't as good at that. I'm seeing names like Ogu, ??? Ogu ke??? I have watched Ogu play many times and washed my eyes hoping he'll get better. If we're going with Ogu, I don't know. Obi in my view is better than Onazi. I'm happy some people see what some of us see
Rohr require ndidi’s partner to also break up plays and defend.no?
OCCUPY NFF!!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Joel Obi will be a better leftback than both Aina and Idowu.
For starters, both of them are right footed while he is left footed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are very good for entertainment.
Maybe Idowu refused to shake Ayo's hand. He (Ayo) was ready to fight everyone on here over Idowu a few weeks ago.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

chief nfachairman wrote:
deanotito wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:This writer totally gets it. MIkel - Onazi - Ndidi is not creative and unpredictable enough. Onazi is not a great ball player, Ndidi is first a "Srapper" but a slightly better ball handler. We need creativity from deep, we need to be able to hold possession in the midfield, while keeping our tightness.

Mikel should not be our only creative point in our midfield. We need more. If MIkel gets marked out, a second midfielder continues.

For me, I want a Obi, Obi, Ndidi midfield
Problem is if Mikel gets shackled - we're in trouble
:agree:
Not only shackled sef. Injured too (as in 2010 WC). Joel is not a replacement for Mikel's leadership, but at least his mates can feed off his energy in difficult periods. Similar to the effect Amokachi used to have. If he stays fit, and Mikel/Balogun/Moses/Ighalo/goalie play at their best then wow we will surely have reasons to smile after the WC.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Anyone who understands football will appreciate the fact Joel Obi is our best bet at left back
(2) Joel is left footed which makes him invaluable
(3) What you want from a fullback is a player who can gallop up and down the flanks, whip crosses on and also track back to defend
(4) Brian Idowu and Ola Aina are both right footed, so any sensible coach will pick Joel ahead of them
(5) I would pick Joel and have Idowu as my number two on the bench
(6) I would have Ola Aina as my back up
(7) I would thank Uwua Echiejile for his services to the nation and wish him well in his career
(8) My only problem with Joel is his fitness. I just hope his health holds out
(9) Joel has played leftback for Inter Milan before so whole not have a problem with the role
(10) With Mikel and Ndidi in central midfield, we do not need Joel there

I like the way the team is finally coming together. Joel and Ebuehi add an extra dimension to the Super Eagles.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ayo wants us to return home immediately after our third game! Kai! What a frustrating fellow! :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

No one else in Nigeria can whip left footed crosses in like this: