Personal Insults & Acceptable Forum Behaviour - Your View

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

CE Rules on Personal Insults...

Should not be allowed at all
42%
Should be allowed, with modifications to current rules
3%
Should remain as they are - anything goes
26%
Let's first define what a personal insult actually is
19%
It doesn't matter to me
11%

Total votes: 74

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Personal Insults & Acceptable Forum Behaviour - Your View

Post by Damunk »

There has been an increasingly louder cry for better monitoring of insults on the forum and indeed a revision of the rules as they apply now.

You all know that personal insults are not regarded as being against the rules and many forumers have taken advantage of this.

There have been attempts in the past to review this but was met with stiff resistance from those who believe it will kill the vibrancy of the forum.

Once upon a time people were able to exercise their better judgement and keep the 'abuse' to harmless 'yabbis' aka njakiri and all was good with the world.

But society changes, becomes more permissive and people push boundaries. So CE had to ban parental insults which were creeping in but which are now largely being kept in check. However, the personal insults are far more frequent, direct, vitriolic and what's worse, are often being used to goad their targets into reckless responses which from time to time get them banned for breaking the rules.

Though there really is no excuse for flouting the established rules of engagement, there have been requests to try and get a grip on this type of provocative behaviour which is deemed unacceptable by many.

Below is a thread from back in 2012, started by Ohsee which debated this very topic. As you can see, there were strong arguments both for and against and I suspect it may not be too different today, 5 years later.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=228308

The personal views of the mods and admins do not count but they are all well documented in the various discussion threads. So a poll will appear shortly to try and track what people are thinking. Please try and log your views on the matter so we all get a rough idea of where the weight of opinion lies.

The responses and the poll should be able to drive a decision either for or against.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Personal Insults & Acceptable Forum Behaviour - Your Vie

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i chose e no matter,..people too dey vex.... if you sabi find trouble and you no fit take yab, den no find trouble
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

Who is complaining? Do you want to make this place boring? I beg go to your day job jo. :taunt: This forum is filled with adults and we don't need all that tight fist moderation. carry go abeg.
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Damunk,

A thread without the usual insults and name calling, can be good source of reference material e.g. the thread " Nigeria may never developed! (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50827) was such an interesting discussion on Nigeria future without unneccessary insults.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Godfather wrote:Who is complaining? Do you want to make this place boring? I beg go to your day job jo. :taunt: This forum is filled with adults and we don't need all that tight fist moderation. carry go abeg.
Look, I'm just responding to requests from some forumers.
Stop being such an a$$. :taunt:
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

Damunk wrote:
Godfather wrote:Who is complaining? Do you want to make this place boring? I beg go to your day job jo. :taunt: This forum is filled with adults and we don't need all that tight fist moderation. carry go abeg.
Tell them make dem go siddon for dorti. mscheeeeew I dey here dey worry about how I fit hammer and person dey worry about insult. nonsense.
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Should remain as they are - anything goes

Use the ignore button to filter out people whose contributions clutter up the page with nonsense.

I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions about me or anyone else, so long as it relates to my, or that person's, handling of the topic. People can be ignorant or incompetent, or smart and competent, and that is relevant to discussing a topic. We are allowed to say such things about authors that we reference. Why does it suddenly become just an "insult" when it is about a member?

On the other hand, if someone engages in gratuitous insults and mudslinging, just add them to your ignore list so their posts don't clutter up the page. Everyone will end up discussing with his own kind.
Last edited by sinequanon on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Be careful..Cellulies will ban you; the guy is very vindictive.. :(
Some forumers pollute this site with their anti-Niger delta agenda - once you respond to their attacks, they act like cry-babies. They will report you to their favorite uncle Cellulies (our oga at the top).
Last edited by asabatex on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

Some people like warring through posting but it can interfere with commun-icating when they're focused on trying to insult the poster, mock the poster, trying distract people from or trying to invalidate what was posted, and-or yabbing the poster (I'm not referring to friendly funny yabbing :biggrin:), instead of responding to what was said. To some people warring is entertaining and a way to release tension. Some it is very funny but it can be an obstacle for the people targeted who are trying to debate what was said in a post.
Don't take us too serious, we're here to Rant and Rave. - otite
accidental on purpose - Cellular
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Personal insults should not be allowed. This place is not Nairaland.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Lolly wrote:Personal insults should not be allowed. This place is not Nairaland.

2nded.... deal with things maturally!!!!!!!! Biko
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

sinequanon wrote:Should remain as they are - anything goes

Use the ignore button to filter out people whose contributions clutter up the page with nonsense.

I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions about me or anyone else, so long as it relates to my, or that person's, handling of the topic. People can be ignorant or incompetent, or smart and competent, and that is relevant to discussing a topic. We are allowed to say such things about authors that we reference. Why does it suddenly become just an "insult" when it is about a member?

On the other hand, if someone engages in gratuitous insults and mudslinging, just add them to your ignore list so their posts don't clutter up the page. Everyone will end up discussing with his own kind.
People learn and grow though people who disagree with them, not through people who agree, so I don't ignore anyone. Some people I disagree with a lot have posted some great posts. I don't want to miss seeing those posts. Also people change. If you're ignoring them you'll miss seeing that they've changed.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Damunk wrote:There has been an increasingly louder cry for better monitoring of insults on the forum and indeed a revision of the rules as they apply now.

You all know that personal insults are not regarded as being against the rules and many forumers have taken advantage of this.

There have been attempts in the past to review this but was met with stiff resistance from those who believe it will kill the vibrancy of the forum.

Once upon a time people were able to exercise their better judgement and keep the 'abuse' to harmless 'yabbis' aka njakiri and all was good with the world.

But society changes, becomes more permissive and people push boundaries. So CE had to ban parental insults which were creeping in but which are now largely being kept in check. However, the personal insults are far more frequent, direct, vitriolic and what's worse, are often being used to goad their targets into reckless responses which from time to time get them banned for breaking the rules.

Though there really is no excuse for flouting the established rules of engagement, there have been requests to try and get a grip on this type of provocative behaviour which is deemed unacceptable by many.

Below is a thread from back in 2012, started by Ohsee which debated this very topic. As you can see, there were strong arguments both for and against and I suspect it may not be too different today, 5 years later.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=228308

The personal views of the mods and admins do not count but they are all well documented in the various discussion threads. So a poll will appear shortly to try and track what people are thinking. Please try and log your views on the matter so we all get a rough idea of where the weight of opinion lies.

The responses and the poll should be able to drive a decision either for or against.
Cut the Bu-- and just name the daft clown....................Okokobrinko the Danfo driver :bump:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Should remain as it is- anything goes!!
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

Is there such a thing as a 'personal' insult? :biggrin:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
...right there, you don insult.
Anyway, insult is a Nigerian middle name. So ignore. My American conservative family value friend once told me, "your freedom ends where my nose begin", so curse all you want :biggrin:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
...right there, you don insult.
Anyway, insult is a Nigerian middle name. So ignore. My American conservative family value friend once told me, "your freedom ends where my nose begin", so curse all you want :biggrin:
You saw what I did there?
Just subtly making my personal position clear.....
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd »

Looks like some folks can't take the heat and won't get out of the kitchen, what is personal insult? Very soon now you people will come with a rule where we can't abuse your favorite leader. Idle folks. :)
An ignorant mind abhors knowledge.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

wimps :oops:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Damunk, wetin now? You think na say everybody get job wey require 'proper bedside manners' talk?
You lucky say you never jam agbero like me for motor park. Abeg carry go.

Mscheewwww!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

Guys why are some of you going after Damunk? He's just addressing "There has been an increasingly louder cry for better monitoring of insults on the forum and indeed a revision of the rules as they apply now." and asking for your views so a decision can be made.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Why should well educated adults, some very nearly grannies, even insult themselves in the first place?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I think it is not about the insults but about the overall disposition of individuals.

i.e. whether people try to hold themselves to a higher standard or not.

I joined this form in 2006, but I only became an active poster around 2008 or so, before then from 2005-2008 I was a very active member in Nairaland. Why did I leave Nairaland? Because it became clear to me that it was a madhouse! I wanted some civility! I found myself hopping around from one Nigerian form to another, looking for a new home. I was on Nigerian Entertainment Forum, I was all over shopping around, before I dug up my CE password and began posting again.

The difference was clear as day and night! This was a more civilized environment than Nairaland. Which was greatly helped by the presence of a defined intelligentsia, but simply the fact that it was a smaller environment, and hence people could understand each other better.

The issue, I will reiterate is not about the language, but about the dispositions! If this forum remains a place where there is a reasonable degree of understanding and respect, then it makes little difference what words are used, and no this is not contradictory. It is about the spirit in which things are done, as well as limits.

but I must say that I am concerned about the direction of this forum.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT