Benjamin Massing R.I.P

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Benjamin Massing R.I.P

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

bepanda wrote:Gone too soon. R.I.P. brother. You gave us unforgettable moments,

R.I.P
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

A true African hero. May he rest in eternal peace with God.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

RIP
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

RIP.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

RIP Massing and thanks for the memories.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Wow
RIP

BBC commentator during the 1990 WC
"For Cameriun we have Benjamin Massing, one of the massive men in the middle"

In the opening game after Claudio Cannigia skipped two tackles down the right Massing caught and upended him in the mist spectacular ambush in a WC game after Schumacher on Battitson.
Massing list a boot in the process, but the ref waited for him to kacate the biit before issuing the red card
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

RIP condolences to his family
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benjamin Massing deserves his own statue for his coldly executed "contract hit" on Cannigia at the 1990 World Cup.

English fans absolutely loved it:
The Massing tackle is a thing of debauched beauty.
Benjamin Massing's foul on Cannigia is the greatest ever World Cup moment.
The first's a late tackle, the second's a professional foul, the third is just an attempt to stop Caniggia - he might live, he might die, Massing doesn't care, he's just decided he isn't going any further. It's the sort of single-minded determination people got Victoria Crosses for in the first World War, with the slightly different context of it being a group game at the World Cup rather than, y'know, a world war.
I can still vividly remember Claudio Cannigia's fabulous run, and the assorted assaults he was subject to while a queue of assorted would-be assassins lined up to cripple him. Had this display been perpetrated by a European or S. American team it would simply have been labeled a disgrace, and had it been perpetrated on rather than by Cameroon, you'd be talking about it as another example of colonial crime.
I remember directly after that game, my firends and I went into the street. One side was Cameroon the other Argentina. I still feel sorry for my friend who was nominated to be Caniggia, as all we wanted to do was recreate the moment he was horribly assaulted by th Cameroon team. The moment where Benjamin Massing's boot flies off as he sythes Caniggia down lasted long in the memory and forever on my friends shins.
I loved that at the time - still do now. Horiffic, intimidatory behaviour, and less red mist than a premeditated assault on a stylish and skilful player. However, given what Argentina had done in 1986, and given the way they went on to play in the rest of that world cup, you can't think of it as anything other than frontier justice.

I also loved how the commentators and pundits afterwards, clearly sharing the same view and loving every second, described the fouls as "naive", coming as they did from an African team.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... t-football
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

:lol: :lol: the Arab commentator laugh die, the ref gave the bobo red , come dash am yellow after the red , now that was aclassice tackle.RIP to the African great
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wiseone wrote:Benjamin Massing deserves his own statue for his coldly executed "contract hit" on Cannigia at the 1990 World Cup.

English fans absolutely loved it:
The Massing tackle is a thing of debauched beauty.
Benjamin Massing's foul on Cannigia is the greatest ever World Cup moment.
The first's a late tackle, the second's a professional foul, the third is just an attempt to stop Caniggia - he might live, he might die, Massing doesn't care, he's just decided he isn't going any further. It's the sort of single-minded determination people got Victoria Crosses for in the first World War, with the slightly different context of it being a group game at the World Cup rather than, y'know, a world war.
I can still vividly remember Claudio Cannigia's fabulous run, and the assorted assaults he was subject to while a queue of assorted would-be assassins lined up to cripple him. Had this display been perpetrated by a European or S. American team it would simply have been labeled a disgrace, and had it been perpetrated on rather than by Cameroon, you'd be talking about it as another example of colonial crime.
I remember directly after that game, my firends and I went into the street. One side was Cameroon the other Argentina. I still feel sorry for my friend who was nominated to be Caniggia, as all we wanted to do was recreate the moment he was horribly assaulted by th Cameroon team. The moment where Benjamin Massing's boot flies off as he sythes Caniggia down lasted long in the memory and forever on my friends shins.
I loved that at the time - still do now. Horiffic, intimidatory behaviour, and less red mist than a premeditated assault on a stylish and skilful player. However, given what Argentina had done in 1986, and given the way they went on to play in the rest of that world cup, you can't think of it as anything other than frontier justice.

I also loved how the commentators and pundits afterwards, clearly sharing the same view and loving every second, described the fouls as "naive", coming as they did from an African team.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... t-football
why did he get red, followed by a yellow ?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The whole incident was (unintentionally) hilarious. Hidden highlights and events of tragi-comedy include:

1) Did you see (at 0:40secs) the Argentine number 7 (Valdano?) sneakily stamp on Massing's bare foot as Massing went to retrieve his boot which had flown loose after his attempted murder of Canniggia. Massing then retaliates by aiming a kick at the Argentine who (wisely) runs away to hide behind the ref in fear.

2) The buffoonery of the ref who showed a red card, followed by a yellow card to Massing. Then again on second thoughts, 1 red card was not punishment enough for what Massing did. 1.5 red cards at least.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: why did he get red, followed by a yellow ?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wiseone wrote:The whole incident was (unintentionally) hilarious. Hidden highlights and events of tragi-comedy include:

1) Did you see (at 0:40secs) the Argentine number 7 (Valdano?) sneakily stamp on Massing's bare foot as Massing went to retrieve his boot which had flown loose after his attempted murder of Canniggia. Massing then retaliates by aiming a kick at the Argentine who (wisely) runs away to hide behind the ref in fear.

2) The buffoonery of the ref who showed a red card, followed by a yellow card to Massing. Then again on second thoughts, 1 red card was not punishment enough for what Massing did. 1.5 red cards at least.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: why did he get red, followed by a yellow ?

yup...saw #1 sharp and clear. That was Argentine thuggery...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

A Big Roaring Lion is gone, RIP B. Massing.
Goldenera94
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:One of the original Indomitable Lion enforcers. RIP to a Cameroonian and African legend.
Rip to a legend
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Maradona pays tribute to Massing: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... 24558.html
Classy tribute from Maradona
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Rest in Power Benjamin Massing. Your exploits will be remembered throughout time. My thoughts are with your loved ones.