The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Where is our bro waffi ?
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I don’t understand Granit Xhaka as a footballer. I don’t get it. What is he actually good at? I’m still unsure after 18 months of watching him.

Saw this on twitter and i just laughed. You go to the store, buy a blender and then you return it, telling the store manager that you are tired! "This machine is not cutting the grass properly!" Of course it not! :lol: You bought a blender, and not a lawn mower.

The issue with Xhaka is that Arsenal is not using him properly. Put Xhaka beside Kante and he will be one of the best midfielders in the League. Expecting him to be Kante or play as a DM is just a waste.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Gunzilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Gunzilla »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Where is our bro waffi ?
He's busy looking at his stats and midfield combinations,before coming back to give us a breakdown on why everything is Alexis fault and why once Santi Carzola comes back,we are gonna win the League and the Champs League this season ! :lol: :lol:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

danfo driver wrote:
I don’t understand Granit Xhaka as a footballer. I don’t get it. What is he actually good at? I’m still unsure after 18 months of watching him.

Saw this on twitter and i just laughed. You go to the store, buy a blender and then you return it, telling the store manager that you are tired! "This machine is not cutting the grass properly!" Of course it not! :lol: You bought a blender, and not a lawn mower.

The issue with Xhaka is that Arsenal is not using him properly. Put Xhaka beside Kante and he will be one of the best midfielders in the League. Expecting him to be Kante or play as a DM is just a waste.
That is why Wenger need to retired then,did not the same problem keep happen to Ozil at Arsenal?
With that said the twitter poster is right as he simply don't understand what he is good at and It make sense if you say he is misused.
I have watch him for National team he has been ok nothing special.
One thing is for sure Wenger need to go for beloved to grow as a team and compete.
Someone will come and say the team will finish second after poor performance.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Given recent results at the Saints, this was not a bad result. I do not agree with the doom and gloom merchants. I put this game plus Leicester and West Ham Away as our toughest out of the top 6. Getting a point after an average performance was not bad.

We are in the race for 2nd, with Sanchez being hopeless and non committed again in application and overall performance, I ask when are we going to be rid of him? He gave away the ball 32 times today, just 2 short of his record in the ManU game before. Sanchez, is a top player but he is not doing it at present. I will not miss him when he is gone. Bellerin needs to be dropped, he has been poor for too many games since last season.

When we needed momentum we lost Ramsey and had to play out the last 10 minutes plus extra time with 10 men cos we had used all subs. Given the circumstances, it was not a bad result in my opinion.

Wenger knows games are coming thick and fast, our home record is key but we must improve away from home. We have the game, system and tactics, but we need all players concentrating for 90 minutes. In the modern game, you do not get away with giving up the first goal like we once did with the type of players we can afford. The stats are there, even though we have the best record coming
from behind in the league this season, our record when we score first is far more impressive.

Unfortunately for us, we just cannot keep a stable unit of defenders, our best defensive combo of Mustafi, Kos and Monreal have conceded the least goals (2) but we need them playing more times together. With Ramsey being out, I wonder who plays against West Ham. Does he change it, making Xhaka play a DM role as opposed to box to box CM role, with Wilshere as his partner? Or does he play both as box to box CMs? Like he has done with Xhaka and Ramsey?
Our midfield off the ball is also a major weakness Waffi. The way the opposition breezes past our midfield right into the heart of our defenders has been an issue for years. So often our CB's are left outnumbered due to our midfield being slow to lock in mentally and physically. Lack of communication off the ball still a major issue for Arsenal, watch the games where Arsenal defend well i.e @ Chelsea, @ Burnley, Spurs and there is clear focus on communication between Cech and CB's, between CB's and wing backs, between CB's and midfield. Contrast that to games where Arsenal are in full blown snooze mode i.e 1st half at Southampton, 2nd half @ Stoke, 2nd half @ Watford, @ Liverpool..it's total radio silence.

I just don't get why this remains an issue in December. FFS TALK!!!! Why are the Arsenal still cherry picking which opponent merits a locked in solid 90 minute effort? We know how winning away in the PL works, lock in defensively, weather the storm and sooner or later nick 1-0 or 2-0 victory against a dogged adversary.

Back in early days of Emirates one understood naive lapses due to inexperience but the last 4 seasons this is a squad laden with experience at every level, in every situation, yet still they act like part time workers.
I do not disagree with your points. It is becoming clear the team will be broken up. Some rumours around suggests the club is already in the process of building a new team.
Have said it severally on these pages, the pitch discipline of Xhaka and Ramsey is key to how we pan out this season. Once again after the match against Spuds, they have both abandon the discipline to displayed in that match. Against Southampton, there was a point where by both Ramsey and Xhaka were in Southampton 18. I was like WHAT? That was even when Pers was still on the pitch.
I pray in January, AW buys a proper CM who's defensive conscious and has pitch discipline.
In his pre-season breakdown special on Arsenal.com, Adrian Clarke (Fully badged UEFA coach and ex Arsenal player)noted how losing possession cheaply in deep areas was a chief concern.

Against Liverpool, City, ManU and Southampton this season, we have conceded 11 goals more than half of them as a result of giving the ball away in our own half and they have costs us points. We also gave up 3 goals against Huddersfield and Leicester for the same mistakes but got away with it.

Don't say to me this has not been looked at, worked on and discussed amongst the Coaching Staff. The intangibles, like mental strength and lack of leadership etc are quickly banded out, but I think the truth is, the technical level is just lower than it needs to be. The loss of Arteta and Cazorla (especially) is felt, cos we do not have any with their ability to deal with the press and pass under pressure.

We get a very easy ride on our passing, because it is just assumed that Wenger sides pass the ball well at the expense of all else. But teams have sussed this out knowing that we lack a technical leader in that midfield and in defence. Monreal is effectively the best passer under pressure cos he is least likely to make a mistake under pressure.

For me, the issues are far more technical than these intangibles lazily banded about. Honestly, I believe it is often just lazy thinking to assign our issues to unproven mental tropes. The patterns in our flaws are entirely technical and maybe a little physical too.

Go analyse all these goals abd see what options were available when the ball was given away. Midfield movement is not what it was when Cazorla was running things. Santi will ask for the ball even if he had 2 men on him. He picked out the Widebacks with ease and with opposition stretched, we quickly reversed it back inside to exploit the spaces the width in our play has created. Now it is often hard to pick out the Widebacks and teams defend easier.

Go see how many times that ball to the Wideback is intercepted this season cos the build up is slow and predictable. Astute Analysts and Managers of other teams spot potential weaknesses and come up with ways to exploit them. The early high press by opponents in our defensive third is a feature causing errors and goals this season.

What is annoying is we have self destruct too often over situations we are in control of. Too many long passes across, when a short pass is needed. A gambled pass chosen over a safe out ball to the opponents half. The good thing is, it can be sorted out like we sorted out our set piece defending and became 1st and 2nd in goals conceded from set piece in the last 2 seasons. There will also be changes to the team.
Ain't that the truth.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

My read on Granit Xhaka is that he was brought in for two main reasons:
1. Provide long distance shooting. Something Arsenal lacked, especially when teams put 12 players behind the ball, we need someone who can actually take shots on goal from outside the box.
2. Provide a change of pace with long distance passing. Most Arsenal players are excellent passers on short passes (let's say 10 yards or less). This makes Arsenal very predictable as a team. With a player who can pass both short and long, it makes defenders play very honestly. This type of play could have benefited players like Walcott, Ox who had pace on the wings.
Needless to say that none of this has actually materialized.
In order for Xhaka to play like this, he actually needs to be devoid of lots of his current defensive responsibility. Unfortulately pairing him with Ramsey ... doesn't help, because Aaron is always running forward.
Xhaka can actually become a decent player, but he needs to be put in the right role on the right team. Wenger + Arsenal are not a good fit for him.
Bepanda
danfo driver wrote:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

danfo driver wrote:

You want mek anikulapo use insults take baptize your head? Xhaka? Best midfie-wetin?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

[quote="bepanda"]My read on Granit Xhaka is that he was brought in for two main reasons:
1. Provide long distance shooting. Something Arsenal lacked, especially when teams put 12 players behind the ball, we need someone who can actually take shots on goal from outside the box.
2. Provide a change of pace with long distance passing. Most Arsenal players are excellent passers on short passes (let's say 10 yards or less). This makes Arsenal very predictable as a team. With a player who can pass both short and long, it makes defenders play very honestly. This type of play could have benefited players like Walcott, Ox who had pace on the wings.
Needless to say that none of this has actually materialized.
In order for Xhaka to play like this, he actually needs to be devoid of lots of his current defensive responsibility. Unfortulately pairing him with Ramsey ... doesn't help, because Aaron is always running forward.
Xhaka can actually become a decent player, but he needs to be put in the right role on the right team. Wenger + Arsenal are not a good fit for him.
Bepanda

So pair him with El neny or is El neny that bad ?

...Socrates
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Given recent results at the Saints, this was not a bad result. I do not agree with the doom and gloom merchants. I put this game plus Leicester and West Ham Away as our toughest out of the top 6. Getting a point after an average performance was not bad.

We are in the race for 2nd, with Sanchez being hopeless and non committed again in application and overall performance, I ask when are we going to be rid of him? He gave away the ball 32 times today, just 2 short of his record in the ManU game before. Sanchez, is a top player but he is not doing it at present. I will not miss him when he is gone. Bellerin needs to be dropped, he has been poor for too many games since last season.

When we needed momentum we lost Ramsey and had to play out the last 10 minutes plus extra time with 10 men cos we had used all subs. Given the circumstances, it was not a bad result in my opinion.

Wenger knows games are coming thick and fast, our home record is key but we must improve away from home. We have the game, system and tactics, but we need all players concentrating for 90 minutes. In the modern game, you do not get away with giving up the first goal like we once did with the type of players we can afford. The stats are there, even though we have the best record coming
from behind in the league this season, our record when we score first is far more impressive.

Unfortunately for us, we just cannot keep a stable unit of defenders, our best defensive combo of Mustafi, Kos and Monreal have conceded the least goals (2) but we need them playing more times together. With Ramsey being out, I wonder who plays against West Ham. Does he change it, making Xhaka play a DM role as opposed to box to box CM role, with Wilshere as his partner? Or does he play both as box to box CMs? Like he has done with Xhaka and Ramsey?
Our midfield off the ball is also a major weakness Waffi. The way the opposition breezes past our midfield right into the heart of our defenders has been an issue for years. So often our CB's are left outnumbered due to our midfield being slow to lock in mentally and physically. Lack of communication off the ball still a major issue for Arsenal, watch the games where Arsenal defend well i.e @ Chelsea, @ Burnley, Spurs and there is clear focus on communication between Cech and CB's, between CB's and wing backs, between CB's and midfield. Contrast that to games where Arsenal are in full blown snooze mode i.e 1st half at Southampton, 2nd half @ Stoke, 2nd half @ Watford, @ Liverpool..it's total radio silence.

I just don't get why this remains an issue in December. FFS TALK!!!! Why are the Arsenal still cherry picking which opponent merits a locked in solid 90 minute effort? We know how winning away in the PL works, lock in defensively, weather the storm and sooner or later nick 1-0 or 2-0 victory against a dogged adversary.

Back in early days of Emirates one understood naive lapses due to inexperience but the last 4 seasons this is a squad laden with experience at every level, in every situation, yet still they act like part time workers.
I do not disagree with your points. It is becoming clear the team will be broken up. Some rumours around suggests the club is already in the process of building a new team.
Have said it severally on these pages, the pitch discipline of Xhaka and Ramsey is key to how we pan out this season. Once again after the match against Spuds, they have both abandon the discipline to displayed in that match. Against Southampton, there was a point where by both Ramsey and Xhaka were in Southampton 18. I was like WHAT? That was even when Pers was still on the pitch.
I pray in January, AW buys a proper CM who's defensive conscious and has pitch discipline.
In his pre-season breakdown special on Arsenal.com, Adrian Clarke (Fully badged UEFA coach and ex Arsenal player)noted how losing possession cheaply in deep areas was a chief concern.

Against Liverpool, City, ManU and Southampton this season, we have conceded 11 goals more than half of them as a result of giving the ball away in our own half and they have costs us points. We also gave up 3 goals against Huddersfield and Leicester for the same mistakes but got away with it.

Don't say to me this has not been looked at, worked on and discussed amongst the Coaching Staff. The intangibles, like mental strength and lack of leadership etc are quickly banded out, but I think the truth is, the technical level is just lower than it needs to be. The loss of Arteta and Cazorla (especially) is felt, cos we do not have any with their ability to deal with the press and pass under pressure.

We get a very easy ride on our passing, because it is just assumed that Wenger sides pass the ball well at the expense of all else. But teams have sussed this out knowing that we lack a technical leader in that midfield and in defence. Monreal is effectively the best passer under pressure cos he is least likely to make a mistake under pressure.

For me, the issues are far more technical than these intangibles lazily banded about. Honestly, I believe it is often just lazy thinking to assign our issues to unproven mental tropes. The patterns in our flaws are entirely technical and maybe a little physical too.

Go analyse all these goals abd see what options were available when the ball was given away. Midfield movement is not what it was when Cazorla was running things. Santi will ask for the ball even if he had 2 men on him. He picked out the Widebacks with ease and with opposition stretched, we quickly reversed it back inside to exploit the spaces the width in our play has created. Now it is often hard to pick out the Widebacks and teams defend easier.

Go see how many times that ball to the Wideback is intercepted this season cos the build up is slow and predictable. Astute Analysts and Managers of other teams spot potential weaknesses and come up with ways to exploit them. The early high press by opponents in our defensive third is a feature causing errors and goals this season.

What is annoying is we have self destruct too often over situations we are in control of. Too many long passes across, when a short pass is needed. A gambled pass chosen over a safe out ball to the opponents half. The good thing is, it can be sorted out like we sorted out our set piece defending and became 1st and 2nd in goals conceded from set piece in the last 2 seasons. There will also be changes to the team.
Ain't that the truth.
Sadly for us, it is the truth, especially away from home.

Why we need an upgrade of talent. Where are the Cesc and Rocisky if this team? Even Hleb. Where are the Pires, Bergkamp and Vieira of this team?

See what I mean about a lack of technique? Note, we pass all the time. No player like Rocisky who will accelerate the pace of the passing, plus taking on and beating his man. To break the lines and create confusion you dribble beat your man and more.

We have none of these types of players today.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Ain't that the truth.
Why we need an upgrade of talent. Where are the Cesc and Rocisky if this team? Even Hleb. Where are the Pires, Bergkamp and Vieira of this team?

See what I mean about a lack of technique? Note, we pass all the time. No player like Rocisky who will accelerate the pace of the passing, plus taking on and beating his man. To break the lines and create confusion you dribble beat your man and more.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What happened to your Swiss Long distance maestro and the German with eyes in the back of his head ... so now you dey look for Rosicky and Hleb?

Jesu Waffi just got to Mauritius and find a deep cave dai :mrgreen: :mrgreen: see how sorry ya excuses are becoming :taunt: :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

You want mek anikulapo use insults take baptize your head? Xhaka? Best midfie-wetin?
lol. I watched Xhaka in Germany. I know who he is. There was a match he played against Sevilla, where he destroyed Sevilla. when he finished with them that day, they were dazed.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

Alex Iwobi and Reece Nelson
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

danfo driver wrote:
platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

lol. I watched Xhaka in Germany. I know who he is. There was a match he played against Sevilla, where he destroyed Sevilla. when he finished with them that day, they were dazed.

Like you said, Arsenal buy blender then begin complain say e no sabi cut grass satisfactorily.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Like you said, Arsenal buy blender then begin complain say e no sabi cut grass satisfactorily.
What about Arsenal just having a manager that cant manage the team as he used to do?
Ogar Plat I can actually assure you that if you give Wenger this Man City team,he will not even be first talkless of been a double digit points.
His selection and approach is very poor,we have seen that before Ozil,Xhaka and Sanchez came to Arsenal.One can predict Arsenal season the last 9 season and its the same ending.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Waffiman wrote:

No let me swear for you o. No be una dey dance ajasco when Wenger rejected Cesc's return, and he went on to win 2 EPL titles with Chelsea in 3 years? Did you not need his talent when you guys were boasting that you had Ozil, so no need for Cesc?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

No let me swear for you o. No be una dey dance ajasco when Wenger rejected Cesc's return, and he went on to win 2 EPL titles with Chelsea in 3 years? Did you not need his talent when you guys were boasting that you had Ozil, so no need for Cesc?

I know sey Waffi twerk during that period, I no know if e dance ajasco. :lol: :lol:
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Abeg wetin be una suggested line up for tomorrow joo ?

Lets look forward and move on.

...Socrates
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

I believe that Arsenal has the talent to be extremely competitive. Or at least not be close to 20 points behind by December. I mean ... this is embarrassing. This is unheard of.
Can we revisit the main objective at the beginning of the season again? What was Arsenal leadership (and chief propagandists ) saying?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Now we need a Vieira, 13 years into the 5 year plan and after more transitions than a Darwinian timeline. Ndichi and Belovedists, nno. As has been said since "Run and them was singing Here We Go"...Welcome to 2005. Ekelem unu. Alusi Arsene, We Greet You.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

bepanda wrote:I believe that Arsenal has the talent to be extremely competitive. Or at least not be close to 20 points behind by December. I mean ... this is embarrassing. This is unheard of.
Can we revisit the main objective at the beginning of the season again? What was Arsenal leadership (and chief propagandists ) saying?
I thought it was Ozil's fault? :lol: :lol: :lol:
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... g-11703117

Always knew Flamini was a jug head :curse:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Ozil is a big part of the Problem. I remember when people were praising him two weeks ago, telling us how great he was against Man U.
With him, good games are more an exception than a rule. He is the first guy I would ship out of Arsenal ...
Bepanda
platinum wrote:
bepanda wrote:I believe that Arsenal has the talent to be extremely competitive. Or at least not be close to 20 points behind by December. I mean ... this is embarrassing. This is unheard of.
I thought it was Ozil's fault? :lol: :lol: :lol: