Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by benteke »

metalalloy wrote:
benteke wrote:
But it's 600million since Ferguson retired in 2013.

I personally mentioned that Pep on his own has blown around 400million on City, and he inherited brilliant players like De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Fernandino, Kompany, Sterling, Otamendi etc. That was a good starting point.

Off course a few things haven't gone well with United on the recruitment front, it's a thing i always argue about with fellow supporter @wiseone that Alex Ferguson let the squad fall much behind the City squad, and as such when he retired it became a scramble and panick operation to get back to the top, not to mention the mistake that was Moyes.

Is it really fair to blame SAF rather than the Glazers? didn't you have a lower net spend than around the time he left?

I agree that Pep has thrown an absurd amount of money at his problems, but you have to put it in context of the absurd transfer market that exists today. And at least it appears he is spending with a purpose to address specific areas that his team struggled with, in defense. It is undeniable that city was ancient in the back and he had to address it. No matter who he went for, in this absurd market, city was always going to overpay. He has a specific way he wants to play and bought players to fit his system.
I am not at liberty to say specifically whether Ferguson was denied money or whether it was his own contempt for the agents and such stuff, because i understand he passed on the opportunity to sign was it David Silva or Aguero, but he thought the fee was too much and didn't like the agent or something like that. Same thing that saw Pogba leave for free.

Anyway, it's what it was, at the end of the day the Manchester United squad fell behind Manchester City on talent, and even behind Chelsea.

Plus don't forget ever since the Sheikh arrived, City have had a lot of bad signings that cost big money at the start, but now it's coming together.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Pogba + a fit Bailly in the mix would have been a different story. We know how menacing United looked at the start before the injuries.

However, United have seen huge improvement this season. By the end of week 18 last 7 seasons:

Code: Select all

Season ----- W   D   L  GF  GA  GD  PTS
2017/18 --- 13   2   3  39  12  27  41  ----- Mourinho
2016/17 ---  9   6   3  27  18   9  33  ----- Mourinho
2015/16 ---  8   5   5  22  16   6  29  ----- Van Gaal
2014/15 --- 10   5   3  33  19  14  35  ----- Van Gaal
2013/14 ---  9   4   5  31  22   9  31  ----- Moyes
2012/13 --- 14   1   3  44  25  19  43  ----- Sir Alex
2011/12 --- 14   3   1  47  14  33  45  ----- Sir Alex
** It took a long time but it appears United are finally back at Sir Alex territory as far as first half of the season is concerned. Let's see how things are at the end of the season.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

United have been unfortunate with injuries, Bailly, rojo, zlatan, jones, felliani, Pogba all at some point this season, if we have a fully fit 1st team playing, we will give city a good game
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

benteke wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
benteke wrote:
But it's 600million since Ferguson retired in 2013.

I personally mentioned that Pep on his own has blown around 400million on City, and he inherited brilliant players like De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Fernandino, Kompany, Sterling, Otamendi etc. That was a good starting point.

Off course a few things haven't gone well with United on the recruitment front, it's a thing i always argue about with fellow supporter @wiseone that Alex Ferguson let the squad fall much behind the City squad, and as such when he retired it became a scramble and panick operation to get back to the top, not to mention the mistake that was Moyes.

Is it really fair to blame SAF rather than the Glazers? didn't you have a lower net spend than around the time he left?

I agree that Pep has thrown an absurd amount of money at his problems, but you have to put it in context of the absurd transfer market that exists today. And at least it appears he is spending with a purpose to address specific areas that his team struggled with, in defense. It is undeniable that city was ancient in the back and he had to address it. No matter who he went for, in this absurd market, city was always going to overpay. He has a specific way he wants to play and bought players to fit his system.
I am not at liberty to say specifically whether Ferguson was denied money or whether it was his own contempt for the agents and such stuff, because i understand he passed on the opportunity to sign was it David Silva or Aguero, but he thought the fee was too much and didn't like the agent or something like that. Same thing that saw Pogba leave for free.

Anyway, it's what it was, at the end of the day the Manchester United squad fell behind Manchester City on talent, and even behind Chelsea.

Plus don't forget ever since the Sheikh arrived, City have had a lot of bad signings that cost big money at the start, but now it's coming together.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you give money to English oriented managers, they will waste your money with some of the crappiest players who will come in at some of the most ridiculous prices and on salaries that would take forever to rectify.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree with the Neviller that Man Utd's recruitment post SAF has been erratic. The players they signed are worse than some of the players that were already at the club or who were sold to make way for them. This is the squad SAF left behind:

DDG
Valencia-Rio-Vidic-Evra
Nani-Scholes-Carrick-Giggs
Rooney
RVP
Subs: Lindegaard, Jones, Evans, Fletcher, Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck (not picked: Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Cleverley, Anderson, Pogba)

Players BOUGHT post Ferguson

Romero
Darmian-Bailly-Rojo-Shaw
Herrera-Matic
Mata-Di Maria-Martial
Lukaku
Subs: Valdes, Lindelof, Blind, Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan

Which team is better?
benteke wrote:Today i caught a bit of Monday Night Football, and Gary Neville mentioned that around 7 players who played vs Bournemouth are players who played under Sir Alex Ferguson or something like that.

And they also showed a graphic of the United sick/suspension list, players like Pogba, Rojo, Fellaini, Bailly, Carrick, Ibrahimovic were shown to have been unavailable for majority of this current season and last.

This surely is a major thing affecting United. Those are very important players
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I agree with the Neviller that Man Utd's recruitment post SAF has been erratic. The players they signed are worse than some of the players that were already at the club or who were sold to make way for them. This is the squad SAF left behind:

DDG
Valencia-Rio-Vidic-Evra
Nani-Scholes-Carrick-Giggs
Rooney
RVP
Subs: Lindegaard, Jones, Evans, Fletcher, Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck (not picked: Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Cleverley, Anderson, Pogba)

Players BOUGHT post Ferguson

Romero
Darmian-Bailly-Rojo-Shaw
Herrera-Matic
Mata-Di Maria-Martial
Lukaku
Subs: Valdes, Lindelof, Blind, Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan

Which team is better?
Hard to argue with you when the current squads keep pulling up stunts like this latest Bristol one and also that MK Dons debacle under Van Gaal.

But then again from time to time Fergie would pull up the odd Southend shocker , so that's football for you.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I am concerned for/about the futures of Blind, Tuanzebe, Pereira, Mkhitaryan, and (less so) Darmian at the club. Press reports in Spain say Barcelona are interested in signing Blind (who is in the final year of his contract). I can see why they would want him. He is "Barca-like" in that he is comfortable on the ball, tactically astute, and has good distribution. He would be a loss. I was also mystified that Tuanzebe was completely left out of the squad for yesterday's Carabao cup game. If he cannot get a game in the least of Man Utd's priorities against a Championship team, when will he play? I am surprised that McTominay gets regular game time when he looks very average, and that the more talented Pereira was sent on loan instead.

I fear Man Utd could make another Pogba-Zaha-Keane-Shawcross-Drinkwater mistake with Tuanzebe and Pereira.
benteke wrote: Hard to argue with you when the current squads keep pulling up stunts like this latest Bristol one and also that MK Dons debacle under Van Gaal.

But then again from time to time Fergie would pull up the odd Southend shocker , so that's football for you.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Why on earth united play with regulars? We should have pkayed with reserves
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

marko wrote:Why on earth united play with regulars? We should have pkayed with reserves
Regulars?

Sergio Romero? (What is De Gea?)
Darmian? (What is Valencia?)
Rojo? (What is Smalling or Jones?)
Lindelof? (what is Bailly?)
Shaw? (What is Young?)

Blind (What is Matic?)
McTominay (What is Herrera?)
Pogba - coming back from suspension

Rashford
Ibrahimovic? (what is Lukaku?)
Martial? (What is Mata or Lingard?)

The regulars will play against Leicester.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Even if they were irregulars, Pogba was there, freshly rested, Martial was there, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Rojo...Bristol City didnt even have Asambolonga!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote:Even if they were irregulars, Pogba was there, freshly rested, Martial was there, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Rojo...Bristol City didnt even have Asambolonga!

You seem to think that this is an argument. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No one is arguing that the players United used are not outrageously more famous and accepted as better than Bristol's.

Marko was referring to United's regulars, which only Pogba is a confirmed regular while Rashford/Martial are not really regulars, as they alternate.

But yea, you are the only one in this fight. :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

For me, most of the players that came after Ferguson retired lack the fighting spirit that Fergie's players had.
Some of the new ones are more talented naturally, but they seem have a get out of jail card which is that soon as things go wrong, manager's tactics are blamed first by fans and media.
This was the case under Van Gaal, and now it's rearing its ugly head with Mourinho.
With Ferguson there was no hiding place, everyone had to perform, it is no wonder that Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia are playing much better than more talented players, and they are not playing in their natural positions.
The biggest change that can make United a very good team is change of attitude by some of the prima donnas that where bought for huge monies, if they all perform like De Gea week in week out, then we can see a different team.
Otherwise, another good manager will be hounded out and another one comes in with his own players and more time is lost.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke, the fact that DDG has been the star player for the past 4 years says a lot about the outfield players. I agree with you re fighting spirit of SAF's teams. If he could win multiple EPL titles and the Champions League with Cleverley, Silvestre, Liam Miller, Djemba-Djemba, Quinton Fortune, David May, Jonathan Greening, and 40 yo central midfielders, imagine what he could have done if he had Di Maria, Lukaku, Rashford, and these versions of Pogba and De Gea.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Benteke, the fact that DDG has been the star player for the past 4 years says a lot about the outfield players. I agree with you re fighting spirit of SAF's teams. If he could win multiple EPL titles and the Champions League with Cleverley, Silvestre, Liam Miller, Djemba-Djemba, Quinton Fortune, David May, Jonathan Greening, and 40 yo central midfielders, imagine what he could have done if he had Di Maria, Lukaku, Rashford, and these versions of Pogba and De Gea.
Are Mourinho's motivation skills waning or is it something else. Once upon a time he could motivate men to die on the field for him.
Once upon a time a player like Mkhitharyan would have been fighting hard for his place and proving it to his manager with stellar perfomances on the field, yet he is sulking for being on the bench after a string of very poor performances.
Do you think Pep Guardiola would tolerate such stuff from our Mkhi .
Aguero has to prove himself every week, the media last season was starting to take Aguero's side, but there's no hiding place at the Etihad.
I want to place the blame on United players, they are capable of doing even better than they are doing now.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Mkhitaryan may be a goner. He has not started any of the last 10 games. Not good for a 27 million signing.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Benteke, the fact that DDG has been the star player for the past 4 years says a lot about the outfield players. I agree with you re fighting spirit of SAF's teams. If he could win multiple EPL titles and the Champions League with Cleverley, Silvestre, Liam Miller, Djemba-Djemba, Quinton Fortune, David May, Jonathan Greening, and 40 yo central midfielders, imagine what he could have done if he had Di Maria, Lukaku, Rashford, and these versions of Pogba and De Gea.
Are Mourinho's motivation skills waning or is it something else. Once upon a time he could motivate men to die on the field for him.
Once upon a time a player like Mkhitharyan would have been fighting hard for his place and proving it to his manager with stellar perfomances on the field, yet he is sulking for being on the bench after a string of very poor performances.
Aguero has to prove himself every week, the media last season was starting to take Aguero's side, but there's no hiding place at the Etihad.
I want to place the blame on United players, they are capable of doing even better than they are doing now.
I am worried about this. My current approach to any form of management is to give the most credit for success to the manager who should transfer the credit to the players who made it happen. Same with failure or poor performance, I blame the manager and it is his responsibility to go hard on the players so they understand and appreciate the fact that some people who are far better than them are living happily on $15/hour while giving their best. Just bring your 100% on match day to justify the trust and investment and even if you fail people are smart enough to see and appreciate your effort. That is the known Manchester United spirit even when 4-0 down with 15 minutes left. Pep is certainly doing a much better job at Shitty and the real Mourinho is more than competent and capable of doing much more with these boys, except the useless Darmian :mrgreen:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
Last season Pep finished trophyless and was unable to motivate the likes of Clichy, Sagna, Stones, Sterling, Fernando etc etc :D

I guess the opportunity to overhaul the team and bring in almost a complete new team helps motivation? or no? we should pretend that last season did not happen? :D
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
Last season Pep finished trophyless and was unable to motivate the likes of Clichy, Sagna, Stones, Sterling, Fernando etc etc :D

I guess the opportunity to overhaul the team and bring in almost a complete new team helps motivation? or no? we should pretend that last season did not happen? :D
Believe you me, that one is not lost on me, and i will not cease to mention how much Pep spent on top of an already good squad that was already much better than Manchester United, i know Coach and co. don't like hearing that one but it's a stubborn fact :biggrin:

But saying that, there are a few things that don't seem well at Old Trafford, so was just wondering aloud here.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:

Believe you me, that one is not lost on me, and i will not cease to mention how much Pep spent on top of an already good squad that was already much better than Manchester United, i know Coach and co. don't like hearing that one but it's a stubborn fact :biggrin:

But saying that, there are a few things that don't seem well at Old Trafford, so was just wondering aloud here.
Like what? being in second position? Truth is that United have a lot of poor players. And these are expensive poor players like Darmian and Blind. And you have the like of Pogba, Ibra and Rojo who has rarely played this season and the likes of Bailly and Jones (first choice CB pairing) who have been injured and rarely played. That is 5 key players! lol.

Add to that the fact that in 2 seasons, the coach has only brought in 7 players, compared to Man City who have brought in 13. That is almost double. Let me be clear, I am not saying that is an issue. i am simply saying Pep failed last year and has been able to bring in payers he wants to implement what he wants. Pep also had a very good base, a team that fought for the league every year. As opposed to Mourinho who took a club that wasnt fighting for the league since Fergie, had been poorly managed by Moyes and Van Gaal, as well as a transfer system that was terrible. In that, he has only brought in 7 players.

Anyway, I dont see a problem. I just see a situation were the coach has to be ruthless in 2 weeks. :D
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:

Like what? being in second position? Truth is that United have a lot of poor players. And these are expensive poor players like Darmian and Blind. And you have the like of Pogba, Ibra and Rojo who has rarely played this season and the likes of Bailly and Jones (first choice CB pairing) who have been injured and rarely played. That is 5 key players! lol.

Add to that the fact that in 2 seasons, the coach has only brought in 7 players, compared to Man City who have brought in 13. That is almost double. Let me be clear, I am not saying that is an issue. i am simply saying Pep failed last year and has been able to bring in payers he wants to implement what he wants. Pep also had a very good base, a team that fought for the league every year. As opposed to Mourinho who took a club that wasnt fighting for the league since Fergie, had been poorly managed by Moyes and Van Gaal, as well as a transfer system that was terrible. In that, he has only brought in 7 players.

Anyway, I dont see a problem. I just see a situation were the coach has to be ruthless in 2 weeks. :D

I don't know, something is wrong, but something has to happen.

That's the title race over.

Start afresh in the January transfer window and carry over to summer.
This lot is not good enough
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

That's it, this is last season all over again, United will be very lucky to finish in top 4 or to get a trophy this time.
I don't know why they have stopped playing well or when they will start again.

Maybe we can go to the semis in CL but that's just a wish :biggrin:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Going through a bad spell now, Miky is playing rubbish football, can see why he was dropped by mourinho, we still have a talented squad, its just getting back our confidence levels by getting back to winning ways

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:

don't say it too loud

the sheep pretend as if last season did not happen for the Inheritance Merchant

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf: