Agent Lawal: AKPEYI is SE's BEST for WC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Agent Lawal: AKPEYI is SE's BEST for WC

Post by Enugu II »

Akpeyi is Eagles best shot at the World Cup, says Lawal
http://aoifootball.com/2018/01/11/akpey ... ays-lawal/
By Abdulquadir Adedapo - January 11, 2018 192 0
SHARE Facebook Twitter

Former junior international and FIFA intermediary based in South Africa, Mohammed Lawal believes Chippa United goalkeeper, Daniel Akpeyi is currently the best man the Super Eagles’ goal post at the World Cup in Russia.
The South Africa& based agent, who spoke exclusively to AOIFootball.com, has challenged critics of the Premier Soccer League goalkeeper to take a flight to South Africa and study Akpeyi for 2-3 weeks before condemning and calling for his head.
“Yes of course if you ask anyone who follows the PSL very well and who watches Akpeyi closely, he will tell you that with the situation Nigeria has now, Akpeyi is the best option the country has got at the moment.
“When you look at the other goalkeepers fighting with him currently in the national team, I think Akpeyi is the best choice and anyone that questions his ability should take a flight to South Africa and watch him for 2-3 weeks and judge after then,” the former junior international said.
Lawal further hinted that the problem with Akpeyi and the national team is more of a psychological problem and urged the Eagles’ technical bench to get a psychologist to help boost his confidence.
“It’s more of a psychological problem for him (Akpeyi) wearing the national team colours. When ever he comes to play for Nigeria he needs a psychologist who can seat him down and work on him. With that, I am confident he will be alright.
“But considering the other goalkeepers, they are no match for Akpeyi,” Lawal concluded
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Re: Agent Lawal: AKPEYI is SE's BEST for WC

Post by Shownoja »

Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

Former junior international and FIFA intermediary based in South Africa, Mohammed Lawal believes Chippa United goalkeeper, Daniel Akpeyi is currently the best man the Super Eagles’ goal post at the World Cup in Russia.
The South Africa& based agent, who spoke exclusively to AOIFootball.com, has challenged critics of the Premier Soccer League goalkeeper to take a flight to South Africa and study Akpeyi for 2-3 weeks before condemning and calling for his head.
“Yes of course if you ask anyone who follows the PSL very well and who watches Akpeyi closely, he will tell you that with the situation Nigeria has now, Akpeyi is the best option the country has got at the moment.
“When you look at the other goalkeepers fighting with him currently in the national team, I think Akpeyi is the best choice and anyone that questions his ability should take a flight to South Africa and watch him for 2-3 weeks and judge after then,” the former junior international said.
Lawal further hinted that the problem with Akpeyi and the national team is more of a psychological problem and urged the Eagles’ technical bench to get a psychologist to help boost his confidence.
“It’s more of a psychological problem for him (Akpeyi) wearing the national team colours. When ever he comes to play for Nigeria he needs a psychologist who can seat him down and work on him. With that, I am confident he will be alright.
“But considering the other goalkeepers, they are no match for Akpeyi,” Lawal concluded
If a player has psychological problems, is it not better to leave him off? That's admitting mental health issues, and should be a disqualifying trait in my opinion. Lawal did Akpeyi no favours with this statement.
To stop trying is to start dying
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

John12 in 1..2....3....... :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Shownoja wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

If a player has psychological problems, is it not better to leave him off? That's admitting mental health issues, and should be a disqualifying trait in my opinion. Lawal did Akpeyi no favours with this statement.
I think he's saying that the mental issues can be successfully dealt with.

I've always found it an enigma how he gets rave reviews in SA but can't play a game in GWG without making a mistake.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cool story bro :D

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
fajex
Egg
Egg

Post by fajex »

Very interesting. Mr Akpeyi should stay in SA then so that the psychological issues don’t crop up.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

danfo driver wrote:Cool story bro :D

:rotf: :rotf:

Akpeyi has to be the worst SE keeper ever, Agbim will even be better if he goes on a quick diet before WC
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am not convinced his mental health issues are curable. Have they tried booking him into an asylum?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I wonder if Croatia and Iceland are paying this fool to spew his nonsense.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote:I wonder if Croatia and Iceland are paying this fool to spew his nonsense.
The fact that you think anyone needs to pay him to express his opinion says more about you than him. I totally disagree with him but I can see where he is coming from. He is no fool- he has done more for Nigeria than you can ever dream of.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:
Shownoja wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

I've always found it an enigma how he gets rave reviews in SA but can't play a game in GWG without making a mistake.
Does he get rave reviews? Reading SA's view on our loss them, they didn't have the most glowing things to say about his time in their league...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Shownoja wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

Shownoja,

But most of us do have psychological problems o! However, we do overcome them. It isn't something that is permanent as far as I know. For instance, a player who has a death of a close one before a game may in fact have a psychological problem that affects his play. That eventually goes away.

If you have an auto accident sort is involved in one, you are psychologically affected by it for a while. I believe that is what psychological problem refers to in this case. This is not an issue requiring some sought of mental rehabilitation.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Wreckless thinking :scared:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
tunde72
Egg
Egg

Post by tunde72 »

He is very right, anybody that see Akpeyi in goal for Nigeria will see the feer in his face. And that is a psychological problem. Whether Rohr will now tey to cure that using the world cup matches are his prerogative. Seriously we have problem in goal keeping and Striking role. Uzoho is in division 3 in spain, Maduka is in second team in Germany, Ezenwa is in Nigerian league. Nwokolor is just coming back from injury, Magnet cant find a club and who knows if he will even come back after finding a club.
YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE ON YOUR KNEE THAN SPEAKING.
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I am not convinced his mental health issues are curable. Have they tried booking him into an asylum?
That's an unfortunate thing to say :shock:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

All I will say is this.

If Akpeyi ever sets foot on a Russian pitch during a WC match, I will track Rohr down and give him the fiercest backhand he could ever imagine.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If he goes to Russia, I might not watch the team.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

niyi wrote:
Shownoja wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

Is this really a true statement?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote:
SHARE Facebook Twitter

This is case closed as far as I’m concerned.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Make dem leave AKPERE-YI oh! We We no want another AGBONiBasket :lol:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I am not convinced his mental health issues are curable. Have they tried booking him into an asylum?
He's curable if they get the agent to shake your hand or brown envelope....... You will champion their cause faster than paj can roll a spliff with one hand while playing with himself with the other :twisted:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

I think the agent was referring to stage fright. Which most althete experience. He either needs a psychologist or a an experienced player or mentor giving reassuring words or he could have clue cards with reassuring words (Serena Williams did this during a grand slam final). Or have words written on his gloves.....

Akpeyi seems to struggle at the beginning of games, especially when he faces the first couple of attacks subsequently he gets better, although the damage might have been done.

It's really simple to overcome, either he watches games where he has performed extremely well before he plays for Nigeria or a practice game is organised for him before matches where he is comfortable facing the ball and he takes that mindset into the game.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I would have liked to have seen him writing these words on his gloves 1 year ago or skyping with Serena Williams 1 year ago, not 6 months into the WC.

This thing is actually important to the ENTIRE country, we cannot toy around with it. I feel for the guy and I would like to be sympathetic, but if we have other options we need to look to those now.

The matches we are playing now are to consolidate our World Cup, everything we are doing now is for the World Cup. We are not in an experimental phase right now. So basically everything we are doing right now is about tweaking players, systems, tactics, strategies, personnel etc. that we have full confidence in!

Yes the WC is important to him as well, but this is the most important sporting/entertainment event for the entire country and if he is having psychological concerns, I think the answer is quite obvious.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT