Graham Rix and Gwyn Williams accused of racism at Chelsea

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Graham Rix and Gwyn Williams accused of racism at Chelsea

Post by aruako1 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ng-chelsea
Graham Rix and Gwyn Williams accused of racism and bullying while at Chelsea
• Three former Chelsea youth players launch legal claims against the club
• Chelsea and Football Association investigating allegations dating from 1990s

Three former youth-team footballers at Chelsea have launched legal claims against the club after allegations that black players were subjected to horrific racism by their own coaches, including physical attacks and one instance when Graham Rix allegedly threw a cup of hot coffee in the face of one of their young prospects.

Rix, then the youth-team coach, is named along with Gwyn Williams, a prominent figure at Stamford Bridge for more than 25 years, in a case that contains such serious allegations Chelsea felt compelled to notify the Football Association and the police were brought in. The police decided after a seven-month investigation there was insufficient evidence to take any action but Chelsea have launched their own inquiry and the FA’s safeguarding team has so far interviewed two of the players. Chelsea have also offered in-house counselling to at least one of the players.

Rix and Williams have declined to comment after the Guardian informed them of the allegations but Chelsea have released a statement about a civil claim that was instigated in a letter to the club last February and, until now, has never been reported. “We take allegations of this nature extremely seriously,” Chelsea’s statement said. “We are absolutely determined to do the right thing, to fully support those affected, assist the authorities and support their investigations.”

Rix and Williams were key members of the backroom staff at a time when Glenn Hoddle, Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli put in place a pre-Abramovich transformation to re-establish Chelsea as one of the more glamorous clubs in the country during the 1990s. Behind the scenes, however, evidence submitted to the FA and seen by the Guardian describes it as a “feral environment” for some of the black players in the youth team, one allegation being that they were treated “like a race of %$#@^& dogs”.

I was a minor, I’d never heard those words being said to someone. He addressed me like that every time he saw me

In one incident, Chelsea played a youth-team fixture in Spain and Rix is said to have humiliated one of the black outfield players by substituting him with the reserve goalkeeper. As the player was showering afterwards, it is alleged Rix shouted “that if his heart was as big as his cock, he would be a great player that ran more”. According to the evidence seen by Chelsea and the FA, Rix followed it up by saying the player should have been “the only person in the whole stadium to be able to enjoy the 40-degree heat” on the basis that “blacks were always winning the long-distance Olympic events in the heat, if they weren’t chucking spears”.

Other allegations include that Rix or Williams called him a “darkie”, a “nignog”, a “black *kindperson*”, a “wog”, “midnight”, “jigaboo” and various other insults. The player also alleges he was told by Williams to “**** off back to Africa” and “sell drugs or rob old grannies”. Williams is not accused of any physical assaults but would allegedly punish the player by telling him to “go and clean my office, Richard Pryor – shine my shoes like a good wog” or “pick up your lip, it’s dragging on the floor”.

When the player left Chelsea for another team his new manager has said he wondered why a talented young footballer from one of England’s top clubs appeared to have been “stripped of his self-confidence”. That manager has submitted a written report that now forms part of the legal claim and says the player was “a good professional who always had a beaming smile but I always felt behind that smile was a person who clearly had his confidence knocked out of him at Chelsea. Whoever was responsible for that, I don’t know. He never gave me a problem. He was always on time and always gave his all.”

Now in his late-30s, the player is hoping others will come forward, describing himself as having “the weight of the world on my shoulders at 16” and saying the distressing effects have continued to affect him in his adult life. Every day, he says, he would walk to Chelsea’s training ground “thinking: ‘Oh my God, I can’t wait for this day to be over’ … I was so low. Even dragging this up now, it really affects me”.

Rix, 60, also has a chequered past after admitting, in March 1999, two charges of unlawful sex with a 15-year-old girl and indecent assault and being sentenced to 12 months in prison, serving six of them, as well as being put on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years. He was reinstated by Chelsea immediately after his release from Wandsworth Prison and was first-team coach when Vialli’s team won the FA Cup in 2000. Rix had previously been assistant manager to Gullit and had a brief spell as caretaker manager after Vialli’s departure. After that, he managed Portsmouth, Oxford United and Hearts, as well as coaching at Glenn Hoddle’s Soccer Academy in Spain and having a brief spell as manager of a club in Trinidad. His last managerial job in England was at AFC Portchester of the Wessex League Premier Division but he left the club in August.

Rix and his solicitor have not replied to a question from this newspaper about whether the FA temporarily suspended him after the allegations surfaced. The FA, asked the same question, has refused to comment and Paul Kelly, Portchester’s chairman, was due to speak to the Guardian before changing his mind after consulting the governing body. He had previously said the club were aware of the allegations and had followed all the procedures and guidelines set out by the FA.

The allegations from the player are also that Williams seemed to target him by “flicking my scrotum, flicking my penis, patting my bum” when he was still a minor. There is no suggestion Williams was getting sexual gratification but it was deemed serious enough to form part of the questioning when David Gregson, the FA’s safeguarding team leader, and Stefania Sacco, the safeguarding investigation manager, interviewed the player at Wembley on 23 October. Williams has been informed by the Guardian of the allegation but his solicitor, Eddie Johns, who also represents Rix, said neither of his clients would comment.

The player says he tried to ring Graham Kelly, the chief executive of the FA, years later to talk to him about what had allegedly happened but says he was not even put through. “The FA have failed me in the way of not protecting me as a minor,” he says. “I was failed in terms of there not being enough parameters for protection.”

According to that player’s account, seen by the Guardian, the racist abuse at Chelsea started after joining the club on schoolboy terms. “Even at 12, 13, the vernacular he [Williams] was using was: ‘You little black *kindperson*, you coon, you little wog, how are you doing?’ I was a minor, I’d never heard those words being said to someone [in football]. He addressed me like that every time he saw me. He’d walk in [the dressing room] and go: ‘Hey, look at the %$#@^& blackies here then. %$#@^& rubber lips. Look at their %$#@^& big noses. You black *kindperson*. Been %$#@^& robbing cars, have you?’ Let me tell you something – that is the most demoralising feeling you could ever have.”

In his interview with the FA’s safeguarding officials, the player adds: “I knew it was unacceptable but I was a minor. When you’re in that position, where this guy is a powerful guy at the club … I didn’t know how to handle it. I thought it would stop. I just didn’t know how to handle it and it was constant … the racial slurs of ‘coon,’ ‘wog,’ ‘monkey’ … ‘smoking wacky-backy’, which is marijuana, or ‘black *kindperson*,’ ‘%$#@^& black *kindperson*,’ ‘mango-muncher’, ‘#$%$*.’

“Gwyn Williams has been at the club since 1979. He was powerful. He was Ken Bates’s mate. The guy [Williams] is a walking piece of dirt, but he had power. It was said he had the biggest black book in London – he knew everyone. That guy was the governor. No matter what role he had, that man had power.”

When the player, then 15, was offered YTS terms Rix was youth-team manager, with Williams in the role of youth development officer. Hoddle, who had been the manager, left Chelsea to take the England job and Gullit took over at Stamford Bridge. “The amount of times I wanted to say something to Ruud Gullit,” the player says in his FA interview. “But Ruud Gullit didn’t even know what was going on. They didn’t do these things in front of Ruud.”

It burnt my face. I went to grab him. I wanted to kill this guy … I had to hold myself in

The player goes on to state in the same interview that when he asked Rix to stop “digging me out” he was struck on the back of the head and, later in a training session, kicked twice while sitting on the floor. Rix, he says, was singing the Billy Ocean song ‘When the going gets tough’ as the alleged assault took place.

In another training game, Rix joined in and, according to the player, hurled the ball into his face from a throw-in, leaving him on the floor with a bleeding nose.

The same player is said to have decided to stand up to Rix when, according to the evidence, the coach asked him whether he had “tried to **** any of our white girls” at the weekend. In the ensuing argument, Rix allegedly threw a cup of coffee in his face. “It burnt my face,” the player says. “I went to grab him. I wanted to kill this guy. Then I had to think … black boy, six foot whatever, hits a white coach – he’s out of football. So I had to hold myself in and I went in to put water on my face because it was burning.”

In a follow-up legal letter to Chelsea, another alleged incident refers to the teenager asking Rix to stop making his sister feeling uncomfortable by making what were, in the player’s view, suggestive remarks. Rix allegedly went red with anger and replied: “I will do whatever I want and if I fancy a bit of black I guarantee her black arse will get it,” and then punched him in the scrotum. “Our client fell to the floor in excruciating pain and Rix walked off laughing while looking over his shoulder.”

The Guardian has offered Rix and Williams the opportunity since Tuesday to respond but they have repeatedly said through their solicitor they do not want to comment.
Wow! Just wow!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Graham Rix and Gwyn Williams accused of racism at Chelse

Post by The YeyeMan »

Just read this. Stunned, though I shouldn't be.

Filthy club.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Gabbage club.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

This is more a disgrace on Arsenal and not on Chelsea. Rix was the si called super star at Arsenal with Liam Brady and Pat Jennings back in the day. Considering that he was there from 1974-88, and ever present in that locker room, it makes sense why the likes of Crooks, Chiedozie never wanted to play for Arsenal and chose Spurs.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

nzeogwu wrote:This is more a disgrace on Arsenal and not on Chelsea. Rix was the si called super star at Arsenal with Liam Brady and Pat Jennings back in the day. Considering that he was there from 1974-88, and ever present in that locker room, it makes sense why the likes of Crooks, Chiedozie never wanted to play for Arsenal and chose Spurs.
Could his attitude be the reason why he didn't find a coaching job at Arsenal? Rocastle, Ian Wright and Michael Thomas played for Arsenal didn't they?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Supports the stories that Waffi and Prince have told about some of these youth coaches.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Despicable. How are such people able to hold on to their jobs for so long?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Anyone that thinks this wasn't happening at other clubs is self-deluded. So many black players were driven out of the game b/c of this type of thing. If you complained they'd say you "had a chip on your shoulder", "an attitude problem", etc.
http://www.naijiant.com/
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

cic old boy wrote:Anyone that thinks this wasn't happening at other clubs is self-deluded. So many black players were driven out of the game b/c of this type of thing. If you complained they'd say you "had a chip on your shoulder", "an attitude problem", etc.
Of course it did but Chelsea was special.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

balo wrote:Despicable. How are such people able to hold on to their jobs for so long?
Simple. Institutional racism. Their views were not unusual. Go and read what then Crystal Palace chairman Ron Noades had to say about black people - even though he had Ian Wright, Mark Bright, John Salako, Andy Gray and many other black players at the club.

The difference b/w then and now is that they hide it better.
http://www.naijiant.com/
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

cic old boy wrote:
balo wrote:Despicable. How are such people able to hold on to their jobs for so long?
Simple. Institutional racism. Their views were not unusual. Go and read what then Crystal Palace chairman Ron Noades had to say about black people - even though he had Ian Wright, Mark Bright, John Salako, Andy Gray and many other black players at the club.

The difference b/w then and now is that they hide it better.

I hope more and more black folks damn the consequences and come out. There should not be any place for such behavior.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The Rix character is a confirmed lowlife twat anyway!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Lets start cleaning our own home first! I can see everyone up in arms, using colorful expletives against Chelsea and the fellow. However, here, in our own home, Cybereagles, we have bigots prancing about, and all of you are silent about it.

Gentlemen, lets clean our own home first!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

danfo driver wrote:Lets start cleaning our own home first! I can see everyone up in arms, using colorful expletives against Chelsea and the fellow. However, here, in our own home, Cybereagles, we have bigots prancing about, and all of you are silent about it.

If there is any issue with Cybereagles we have a problems and suggestions forum. The fact that you are not satisfied with the response to your grievances has nothing to do with this thread.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Lets start cleaning our own home first! I can see everyone up in arms, using colorful expletives against Chelsea and the fellow. However, here, in our own home, Cybereagles, we have bigots prancing about, and all of you are silent about it.

If there is any issue with Cybereagles we have a problems and suggestions forum. The fact that you are not satisfied with the response to your grievances has nothing to do with this thread.
Good afternoon. I have no specific grievances.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

danfo driver wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

Good afternoon. I have no specific grievances.
My point is that we cannot wait until we are perfect to discuss issues like this. I get your point about the bigotry but that has been discussed on countless threads.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:Anyone that thinks this wasn't happening at other clubs is self-deluded. So many black players were driven out of the game b/c of this type of thing. If you complained they'd say you "had a chip on your shoulder", "an attitude problem", etc.
KPOM. It is not about Chelsea. This is very likely occurring in several other places.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

What is it with some of these White men...is racism in their genes?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The allegations from the player are also that Williams seemed to target him by “flicking my scrotum, flicking my penis, patting my bum” when he was still a minor. There is no suggestion Williams was getting sexual gratification but it was deemed serious enough to form part of the questioning when David Gregson, the FA’s safeguarding team leader, and Stefania Sacco, the safeguarding investigation manager, interviewed the player at Wembley on 23 October. Williams has been informed by the Guardian of the allegation but his solicitor, Eddie Johns, who also represents Rix, said neither of his clients would comment.
Disgusting stuff.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Enugu II wrote:
KPOM. It is not about Chelsea. This is very likely occurring in several other places.
I keep saying with Emenalo out of Chelsea they will go back to bring the trash that they were people are not asking where all of a sudden we have so many naijas in the game.

Youth football is very close knit all this guys are very close to each other, including scouts and yes it still exist now. When you take your kids to this people make sure you pay attention especially when they go on tour
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

They are still be driven out of the game, Tottenham and Arsenal are right in North London but they manage to get white boys from all over the place out boys neglected and without the training from this clubs at an early age your chances Are limited out of 12900 only 189 will make it from the academy
Oya back to the matter
open and close
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

The EPL slaves in here will dispute this report and blame the victims instead.. They will tell us the racists are just expressing their emotions and nothing to do with racism...
Soldier of Fortune...
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

airwolex wrote:What is it with some of these White men...is racism in their genes?

What is it with Nigerians? Is tribalism in Their genes ? :idea:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.