The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

anikulapo wrote:https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 1.html?amp

Le Coq regrets not leaving Arsenal earlier :roll: :lol: :lol: delusional clown

na his fault? No be Wenger dey assemble moi-moi players, then play grandfather to them?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
anikulapo wrote:https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 1.html?amp

Le Coq regrets not leaving Arsenal earlier :roll: :lol: :lol: delusional clown

na his fault? No be Wenger dey assemble moi-moi players, then play grandfather to them?
:rotf: :rotf: Even me go regret not leaving,Wenger brought all this to himself and has make the club laughing stock.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bk-one wrote:
kajifu wrote:If Wenger stay in for say another 3 years this team will go backward that we will need to spend crazy money just to make top 4.
Wenger need to wake up before people remember him as that coach who failed to take us to CL footie foir the last few years.
I still have hopes we will win Europa ,I think we are good if small adjustment are carry out.
Arsenal will at least reach the semifinals and get knocked out by the first decent opponent they meet at the semis
I hope we win it all getting to semi will be just 3 games to go.I really don't see any team I fear in Europa that I can say they have better players than us.
Still holding hope we win it as I think top 4 is a dog fight.Chelsea and manu might locked down 2 and 3 spot hope not and 4th comes down to beloved,liverpool and Spurs.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

My people what really happen to Wenger?
1)I mean looking at his first few years at beloved from October 1996 the man was pure genius to the game.change the game in England and the English people call him prof.
2)The man totally change Arsenal style of play and bring excitement to English football.
3)The man go whole season without open nyash something that has not been repeated.
4)Wenger has a complete team, with likes of King Kanu bench warmer, can you believe that?
5)Wenger team was the most hard core team that put fear to other teams.
6)A lot of beloved fans fall in love with Arsenal because of the total football Arsenal play.
7)How come under this invincible Arsenal did not with jack in Europe?
8)How come we have just 3 EPL under Wenger when Manu was our main rival till Chelsea step up and win their first league in 50 years in 2005?
9)How come since moving to emirate we have celebrate top 4 as trophy and used money as a reason not to compete yet Leicester come from relegation and win the league?
10)Is Wenger just w icked thinking about money than win trophies or na old age?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-trans ... ce-sources

Wow I wonder if this Alexis’ agent or Arsenal trying to play some kinda game here :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

There have been occasions where El Neny has appeared bog standard, typical Wengerism cheap sh*t. The spinning bottle has come to rest and now points in his favour, in the eyes of the fans, some of whom had cited his mediocrities in earlier pages. #flavourofthemonth
Last edited by Coach on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

anikulapo wrote:http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-trans ... ce-sources

Wow I wonder if this Alexis’ agent or Arsenal trying to play some kinda game here :mrgreen:
Arsenal and money,they will want who ever offer the right amount to take and rightly so.
The point is what if Alexis want just City in any deal,will Wenger delay it so he end up not sign any one or keep him and let him go for free in the summer?
Also who is this Malcom as replacement?
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Starting to look like Sanchez will stay o and move on a free !! Dont believe he would agree to move to Manure :(
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Starting to look like Sanchez will stay o and move on a free !! Dont believe he would agree to move to Manure :(
:D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:Starting to look like Sanchez will stay o and move on a free !! Dont believe he would agree to move to Manure :(

make I join you...
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

danfo driver wrote:
Oh well hindsight is 20/20 ...we should have collected 60M in the summer ..for sure we would have been mid-table by now but had money to buy in the January window.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

T'is one thing to lose talent to the sizzling sun and spectacularly shaped senoritas of Barcelona and Madrid, each an exhibition of architectural brilliance and another to haemorrhage talismen to supposed rivals on home soil. T'is not merely a matter of money, ambition is as much the epicentre. As said over a decade back, Wengerism, that foul miasma, will swell the glands and pustule the epidermis, bend the bones and droop the lips. Look how leprotic fair Beloved be now? Even the Vardys of this world, those formerly of Fleetwood, cast a disparaging "you ain't winning a league title again" eye at her. Shame. Shame. Shame.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Who is the greatest negotiator? :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

For those talking of Ancelotti, Arsene says he has never walked out from a contract and plans on being at Arsenal next season.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

AreaStarr wrote:Whispers of Ancelotti waiting in the wings please God let it be true.

The speed with which Real & Bayern let him go shouldn't inspire any type of confidence. Seems to be using Arsenal to get a fat offer from Italian FA for national team.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

kajifu wrote:If Wenger stay in for say another 3 years this team will go backward that we will need to spend crazy money just to make top 4.
Wenger need to wake up before people remember him as that coach who failed to take us to CL footie foir the last few years.
I still have hopes we will win Europa ,I think we are good if small adjustment are carry out.
He's been found out - he's at best seen as mediocre at this point.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
anikulapo wrote:I was watching the semi final game again and I'm seriously wondering what grudge Wenger has against Mo El Neny.

I mea I see the work rate, mobility, close control, incredible spatial awareness, peripheral vision and delicate on touch passing ability, yet Wenger remains a reluctant fan. If that boy was French he would be playing every game :curse: :curse:

What Xhacrap has over him remains a mystery :curse:

Wenger is an enigma. Xhaka has been sub-par, but it may have to do with the Arsenal style...
Niks's being an idealist but we're talking AW here - forget meritocracy & tactical balance. Go back to Mo's 1st season - he played
simple ball - pass & move to be an option, he sat back to cover the FB who was attacking & stayed close to defenders for weak side
support but AW had to change that -- be a Ramsey & just run forward w/o regard to team shape.
The kid has regressed & lacks confidence compared to his 1st season - just remember we agreed a $10 or $12 fee with WBA for the kid - not sure they'd replacements lined up.
On Xhaka just like AW kept picking Reyes over a sharper RVP cos of transfer fees - Xhaka will hardly be benched.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

th January 2018
Alexander Hleb might not be the first name that springs to mind when you think of the 2006 Arsenal team which came so close to winning the first Champions League trophy in club’s history.

But it was Arsenal where the versatile Belarusian midfielder played the best football in his career – and eventually earned himself a £12million move to Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona in the summer of 2008.

Yet what would feel like a dream deal for most players turned out to be an utter disaster for Hleb, who spent just one year at Barcelona before leaving loan to Stuttgart and never returning to Spain.

“It’s still difficult for me to explain why I left Arsenal,” Hleb says. “I was absolutely happy there. Arsene completely trusted me, it was idyllic. And then I decided to leave.

“I was on vacation and agents and managers convinced me that I had to go to Barcelona. To be honest, I didn’t really understand what I was doing. At some point, I realised, ‘Oh god! I’m leaving Arsenal!’

“When Arsene said that it was a matter of hours, I felt devastated. It was really hard for me to accept that. Wenger did everything to make me stay at Arsenal.

“He even texted me as I was fishing. ‘Alex, I won’t let you go, we need you here.’ I cried when I read it.”

Hleb reckons he is one of many players who’ve regretted leaving Arsenal and Wenger behind over the years, but his relationship with the Gunners boss survived the transfer.

“Yes, we even met in Minsk a few months ago when Arsenal played against BATE in the Champions League,” Hleb says. “Wenger is like a father to me. It was really easy to work with him, you always felt his support.

“During my first season in England, I picked up in injury while playing for the national team. So, as I was trying to recover from it, I told Arsene that maybe it would make sense to send me on loan to Germany or something.

“He was like, ‘Stop it! I believe in you! Don’t even think about things like that.’ Honestly? I just flew out of the room. It really felt like I had wings.

“Arsene truly feels his players. He says exactly what a player needs to hear. I think there are very few guys who might say that they haven’t enjoyed working with him. Everyone felt like they would get a chance. And I think most players who left ultimately regretted it.”

• • • •

READ: Arsene Wenger’s best rants, quips & musings: ‘God created man, I am only a guide’

• • • •

Hleb moved from Stuttgart to Arsenal in 2005, a year after the Invincibles wrote their way into Premier League folklore.

It would have been hard for anyone to get into a starting XI featuring players like Thierry Henry, Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp, but a 24-year-old Belarusian who didn’t have any Premier League experience and couldn’t understand a word of English? Imagine that.

“When I first came to London, the first team was still on vacation because they finished the season a bit later than I did in Germany,” Hleb says. “So, during my first days at Arsenal, I was mainly surrounded by youngsters.

“Everything was great although I got really upset when I found out that Patrick Vieira was leaving. I mean, I just came there and one of the greats was already on his way out.

“Then the first team came in, but I couldn’t speak to anyone because I didn’t know English! And all the main guys spoke either English or French. The only two players I could really chat with were Jens Lehmann who obviously spoke German and Philippe Senderos who spoke six languages.

“Then the club gave me a teacher and it all worked out well, but I definitely had to train very hard because Premier League football was extremely intensive, much more intensive than it was in Bundesliga.

“We played one-touch football and you had to make a decision before you even got the ball. You need time to adapt to that. Fortunately, I had Arsene who really believed in me so after six months or so I felt completely settled and ready to go.”

Move to Barcelona
Hleb went on to play 129 games for Arsenal and become an integral part of the team’s highly technical, fast-paced four-man midfield before joining Barcelona in 2008, following the steps of Thierry Henry, who had joined the Catalans a year previous.

Needless to say, Hleb was pleased to have a former team-mate around while trying to establish himself in a new team.

“In London, I mostly hung out with younger guys like Fabregas, Flamini or Rosicky. Henry was in another group with Bergkamp and Pires. But when I came to Barca, Thierry and I became really friends. I even lived at his house for a few months!

“He found out that I was living in a hotel and just said, ‘Hey, why do you need a hotel? I live alone now so come to my place!

“Thierry is an amazing guy. When it comes to football, he’s a bit more serious, a tough man. But in everyday life, he’s really fun.

“Sometimes we would watch Arsenal matches together. When he left the club in 2007, everybody was shocked.

“The team was sort of waking up so no one saw it coming. But he wanted a new challenge, new trophies, a Champions League title. I don’t know how happy he was at Barcelona, but he won everything. That’s a fact.

“We are not really in touch now, but that’s my fault. I always lose my phone, always lose all the numbers so we have kind of lost each other, too. The only guy from the Arsenal era I still talk to is Cesc. Plus, I met up with Van Persie in Turkey. But that’s really it. We’re all family guys now, you know?”

Hleb is quick to admit he was the one to blame for failing at Barcelona. The midfielder was one of the first players signed by Pep Guardiola in his first summer as Barca manager, but that didn’t help him much.

Unlike Henry, Hleb did not learn Spanish and pretty soon found himself isolated from the rest of a team which was about to go on one of the most dominant periods in the history of football.

Eventually, as Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets formed one the greatest midfield trios of all time, there was no place left for a guy who couldn’t even speak to most of his team-mates after a game.

“It was all my fault,” he says. “I was nervous because of the things that were going on in my life at that time and I didn’t really listen to anyone.

“Guardiola was a young coach with no experience of managing any first teams so he probably couldn’t find the right words as quickly as Wenger. He needed that support himself.

“I remember Numancia beating us in the opening game of the season. All the players were about to join their national teams so I asked Guardiola when I had to return to Barcelona. His answer? ‘Alex, I might not even be here when you come back!’

“But he found his support. Players were behind him. Especially the Spanish guys – Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi and others.”

Falling out with Guardiola
It was an almost constant struggle for Hleb in Spain, but there was one moment in particular which stands out as the beginning of the end for him under Guardiola.

“In May, we were playing Manchester United in the Champions League final and Guardiola left me out of the squad. It was absolutely devastating. I remember talking with Henry, and he said, ‘I get it, I get it. But be stronger than this.’

“But I still felt like there was a knife in my back. I never spoke to Guardiola after that. I could understand him because I didn’t behave well enough myself. But it was incredibly painful.”

Two months after beating United in Rome to complete the club’s maiden treble, Barcelona signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Inter, with Samuel Eto’o moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

Hleb was supposed to make the move to Milan too, but he eventually returned to Stuttgart on loan instead. First, though, he got to experience the cult of Zlatan.

“In a way, Zlatan reminds me of Henry,” he says. “He was really funny, always messing with everyone. Well, except for Thierry and Messi.

“Leo was very young at that time, but even world-class players were whispering in his presence! ‘Did you see what the little guy did today?’

“I really chuckled at that. But again, we didn’t talk much because he only spoke Spanish and I knew just a couple of phrases.”

Earlier this year, Hleb who turned 36 in May, became a pundit for the Russian sports channel ‘Match TV’. He still lives in Minsk with his family and hopes to continue his football career, having left Krylya Sovetov Samara in the summer.

“It’s not about money, really,” he says. “I just want to play in an interesting league. But I won’t move anywhere without my family.

“I haven’t been to London for a while but of course I still miss Arsenal. It was great to wake up everyday and do what you enjoy doing the most. It was fantastic. Obviously, I’ve got other priorities now but I still have a desire to play.”

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

tolahs wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
anikulapo wrote:I was watching the semi final game again and I'm seriously wondering what grudge Wenger has against Mo El Neny.

I mea I see the work rate, mobility, close control, incredible spatial awareness, peripheral vision and delicate on touch passing ability, yet Wenger remains a reluctant fan. If that boy was French he would be playing every game :curse: :curse:

What Xhacrap has over him remains a mystery :curse:

Wenger is an enigma. Xhaka has been sub-par, but it may have to do with the Arsenal style...
Niks's being an idealist but we're talking AW here - forget meritocracy & tactical balance. Go back to Mo's 1st season - he played
simple ball - pass & move to be an option, he sat back to cover the FB who was attacking & stayed close to defenders for weak side
support but AW had to change that -- be a Ramsey & just run forward w/o regard to team shape.
The kid has regressed & lacks confidence compared to his 1st season - just remember we agreed a $10 or $12 fee with WBA for the kid - not sure they'd replacements lined up.
On Xhaka just like AW kept picking Reyes over a sharper RVP cos of transfer fees - Xhaka will hardly be benched.

This joker is all over the board ... I guess WBA is now Leicester’? I guess they are neighbors in the midlands but :rotf: :rotf:

And Reyes over a young and petulant Judas is what this guy is grasping for ? Dude go to sleep Abeg ... you are all over the map :lol:

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

All this Sanchez stories are similar in various news outlets. Points to the fact that one party is busy feeding the media.

We know the media will not get a thing from Arsenal so they will favour the party that gives them the news.

In the midst of their mud slinging at our club. They have almost succeeded in deceiving a section of our fans who just want to knock the club.

If these reports are correct, we know they have been wrong many times, and Sanchez joins ManCity for the reported Wages of £13million after Tax.

Then he will be on around 500K per wk, then factor in the reported signing Fee of circa £30million, this means his effective Wages per week will be over £1million!!!!

And Gullible fans say its NOT about money.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:All this Sanchez stories are similar in various news outlets. Points to the fact that one party is busy feeding the media.

We know the media will not get a thing from Arsenal so they will favour the party that gives them the news.

In the midst of their mud slinging at our club. They have almost succeeded in deceiving a section of our fans who just want to knock the club.

If these reports are correct, we know they have been wrong many times, and Sanchez joins ManCity for the reported Wages of £13million after Tax.

Then he will be on around 500K per wk, then factor in the reported signing Fee of circa £30million, this means his effective Wages per week will be over £1million!!!!

Please, let Wenger sell him now rather than him leave for free in the summer. Not because the money will reach me (I nor be Waffi :sneaky: :sneaky: ), but I no wan enemies of progress to laugh at us if he leaves for free. People like Danfo, TFCO, Yemibrassier, and even eye Spudites will be laughing at us.

Yes, you were right, Waffi, when you stated that it was unconscionable to let Ozil and Sanchez contracts run into the the final years....
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Siddonlook11 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Oh well hindsight is 20/20 ...we should have collected 60M in the summer ..for sure we would have been mid-table by now but had money to buy in the January window.

I am not privy to the negotiations, but unless Sanchez made a commitment and reneged on it, this is not hindsight but foolishness.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:All this Sanchez stories are similar in various news outlets. Points to the fact that one party is busy feeding the media.

Please, let Wenger sell him now rather than him leave for free in the summer. Not because the money will reach me (I nor be Waffi :sneaky: :sneaky: ), but I no wan enemies of progress to laugh at us if he leaves for free. People like Danfo, TFCO, Yemibrassier, and even eye Spudites will be laughing at us.

Yes, you were right, Waffi, when you stated that it was unconscionable to let Ozil and Sanchez contracts run into the the final years....
I blame Arsenal. I would have sold them ages ago. The fact is, you can't win. Arsenal tried to keep the player but it has backfired. The player only started trying to play in December, compare and contrast his attitude to Coutinho at Liverpool.

If they had sold two years ago or even in the summer, the club would have been slammed by all and sundry. If they sell now, they are still getting slammed. What's worse, those who claimed should show ambition are now hypocritically claiming the club should have sold.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.