Best left back to ever come out of Africa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Best left back to ever come out of Africa

Post by wiseone »

A few good shouts: Babayaro, Olembe, Boka.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Babayaro for me, his display at the Atlanta 96 was one of the greatest display by a left back in major tournament.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

bamenda boy wrote:Who will you guys pick? I think Wome at his prime was second to non.

How very objective of you.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

mastermind wrote:Babayaro for me, his display at the Atlanta 96 was one of the greatest display by a left back in major tournament.
Youth tourney though, he never really replicated the same thing in the full NT.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Ogolo Makambo wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:As long as it's not football related then, Yes - wome is the best ever. :laugh:

JJ Okocha!
Considering what OGA did to you guys and what you saw him do on the football pitch, it's no wonder you only know his name.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Mankinka wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:Who will you guys pick? I think Wome at his prime was second to non.

How very objective of you.
But Wome was better than Babayaro nah?

That dude was able to get to top teams all over Europe.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Honestly, I think the 3 you mentioned were more talented and skillful than Wome. Wome had a longer career at a high level though.
wiseone wrote:A few good shouts: Babayaro, Olembe, Boka.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

[/video]
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Did he play for Al Ahly?

If we talk RBs then Africa has had several excellent players in that position: Trabelsi, Lauren, Geremi, Aurier, heck even the 21 yo version of Yobo used to bomb down the right flank as a RWB.
kastro11 wrote:We had an ace LB who would have been great - Mohamed Abdelwahab. He had a heart defect though and passed away aged 22 during training. Was the best LB during the 2006 ACN and our best defender. Had he not passed away, he would have 100+ caps and played for a top club in Europe. Absolutely no doubt.

Lauren was great. Could play LB just as well as RB.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Yobo was an awesome right back! My best memories of him are from his right-back days.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
lakdarbelloumi
Egg
Egg

Post by lakdarbelloumi »

How about the Tunisian Trabelsi.... I believed he played for Ajax in the mid 2000s or so. A damn good left back
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

lakdarbelloumi wrote:How about the Tunisian Trabelsi.... I believed he played for Ajax in the mid 2000s or so. A damn good left back
A right back
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have watched or heard of Faouzi Ghoulam?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Who told you he is not a LB? He's played that position a lot for multiple teams including Ghana, Udinese and Juve
danfo driver wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Wome was good but he could be an absolute brute. I witnessed one katakata this guy got into with Salgado of Real Madrid. It was just back and forth with the two of them just kicking each other when they had the chance. Wome eventually was sent off

He was great when he was playing footballl. The best for me though is the Ghana man at Juventus
Kwadwo Asamoah is not a left back. he is a Left midfielder or Left Defensive Midfielder. It is true that he has played as a left back on a few occasions.

The best left back from Africa at the moment plays for Napoli, Faouzi Ghoulam. He is incredible.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Babayaro