Cyrille Regis dead at 59

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Cyrille Regis dead at 59

Post by aruako1 »

May he RIP. One of the pioneers for black footballers in England.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... es-aged-59
Last edited by aruako1 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Cyrille Regis dead at 59

Post by aruako1 »

One of the "Three Degrees" at West Brom.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Cyril Regis dead at 59

Post by cic old boy »

One of my heroes as a young lad. Only Brendan Batson still standing from the "Three Degrees". Laurie Cunningham's gone, now Big Cyril.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Rest in Power Sir.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Wow. Shocking. Cyril is gone. Rest in perfect peace pioneer...
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Cyrille, was one of my early football hero and one of the few black faces on Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics, but his main achievement was his battle against racism (Racist fans, football management and the racist media).

It was a horrendous period in football and the like of Cyrille and many others lay the foundation for many black footballers and managers in the UK and all over the world.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

realtrouble wrote:Cyrille, was one of my early football hero and one of the few black faces on Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics, but his main achievement was his battle against racism (Racist fans, football management and the racist media).

It was a horrendous period in football and the like of Cyrille and many others lay the foundation for many black footballers and managers in the UK and all over the world.
It was? and it is still is...I keep hearing it has improved bloody liars......
Oya back to the matter
open and close
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Is it not an indictment of the racism of the England selectors that he won only 5 caps?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

RIP
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
donzopia
Egg
Egg

Post by donzopia »

RIP
FM 2020
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
realtrouble wrote:Cyrille, was one of my early football hero and one of the few black faces on Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics, but his main achievement was his battle against racism (Racist fans, football management and the racist media).

Prince, to say racism in football hasn't improved since the days of Cyril Regis is to be ignorant of what the UK was like in the 60s and 70s.
Of course its nowhere near good enough but let's keep things in proper perspective.
If you want to know what racism in the UK (and in its football) was like before you came over, send me a polite PM and I will fill you in. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Oh No! :sad:
RIP
Brilliant player and great Person on all accounts
YNWA
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

Prince, to say racism in football hasn't improved since the days of Cyril Regis is to be ignorant of what the UK was like in the 60s and 70s.
Of course its nowhere near good enough but let's keep things in proper perspective.
If you want to know what racism in the UK (and in its football) was like before you came over, send me a polite PM and I will fill you in. :D
I wanted to correct him but I'm glad you have. You cannot eradicate racism but you can make it unacceptable for racist behaviours and opinions.
A lot of good people have been fighting the cause, so we must acknowledge the gains. We now see a lot of black players in the game. We have a fair bit to go but we've come a long way as well
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Shocking news, may he RIP
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Na wa oh? So Young? Only God knows how the stress of being a forerunner and enduring such malice and hatred may have taken a toll on his soul and body .... Great man :thumb:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Cyril Regis dead at 59

Post by 1naija »

cic old boy wrote:One of my heroes as a young lad. Only Brendan Batson still standing from the "Three Degrees". Laurie Cunningham's gone, now Big Cyril.

May he RIP.

He died at 59.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Wow. RIP Cyrille. Never saw him play, but read about him in the soccer mags that made it to Canada in those days before blanket soccer coverage.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

RIP...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

A pioneer. May he RIP
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We have come a long way. Do you that it was not until 1978 that a black first player featured for England. Up until then, it was official not to play them as they were not "English enough." Players like Regis and Anderson suffered unbelievable racism, which we can only imagine today.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Sir Alf Ramsey made it clear that he would never feature black players in his team. It was not until Ron Greenwood became manager in 1977 that the embargo was lifted.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

RIP ! Football pioneer like Malcom X & Martin Luther King before him brought about change in the English game was very vocal.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:We have come a long way. Do you that it was not until 1978 that a black first player featured for England. Up until then, it was official not to play them as they were not "English enough." Players like Regis and Anderson suffered unbelievable racism, which we can only imagine today.
Viv Anderson went to 2 WCs, 1982 & 1986 without getting to kick the ball at either tournaments
I am happy