Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

danfo driver wrote:This will hurt some people. After all their agenda about Mou hating Mata. etc etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It does not Mata
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:This will hurt some people. After all their agenda about Mou hating Mata. etc etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you heard the expression fattening the cow to command a bigger price?

Not all teams are dumb and directionless like Arsenal who allow their prized asset to run down the lane of depreceation while penny pinching only to lose it all at the end. While i am noy saying there is trouble between Jose and Mata, the truth here is there is more to a cobtract extension thaan being in the manager's good books, especially when the club is being run like a proper club as opposes to elemu n get on club down over at north London.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke, thanks for that link. One interesting (and often forgotten) element of the Glazer takeover, is that SAF was indirectly responsible for the instability that allowed the Glazers to buy the club (a fact that Roy Keane famously taunted SAF about to his face just before his acrimonious exit from the club): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=254069&hilit=keane

It was SAF's dispute with shareholders Magnier and McManus (men who owned nearly one-third of the club) that led them to sell their shares to the Glazers. Imagine an employee picking fights with the owners of the company that employs him. Not even the legendary SAF could win that one.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I have been saying for years that Man Utd should stop this experiment of playing Tony V and Young (wingers) at FB. It works against lower division/weaker teams where they rarely get tested, but they can be exposed against quality attackers. Yesterday was a case in point. Young just switched off and watched Eriksen run past him and score. A "natural" defender would have been more alert. It is not Young's fault that he is being asked to do things that are not natural to his game.

Why play Young at LB at all when the club has Shaw, Blind, Rojo, and Darmian (ACTUAL defenders) who play LB?
Last edited by wiseone on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by txj »

Of the generation of young CDs signed by big clubs this season, Umtitti and Skriniar are head and shoulders above everybody else.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote:Of the generation of young CDs signed by big clubs this season, Umtitti and Skriniar are head and shoulders above everybody else.
Laporte?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Chairman Bailly is head, shoulder and stomach above Umtiti, Skriniar, Laporte etc without any question.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:Of the generation of young CDs signed by big clubs this season, Umtitti and Skriniar are head and shoulders above everybody else.
Laporte?
Too early to judge. Yerry Mina also has all the necessary physical tools to be an absolute beast alongside Umtiti.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Laporte?
Not this season

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YemiBrazil wrote:Chairman Bailly is head, shoulder and stomach above Umtiti, Skriniar, Laporte etc without any question.
:D :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

platinum wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Laporte?
Too early to judge. Yerry Mina also has all the necessary physical tools to be an absolute beast alongside Umtiti.
Looking at performance this season, not simply talent/potential.

A very good defender can/will start for United as CD, like Bailly. You need more than that to start for Barca.

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Not cut and dry that Bailly is better than Laporte or Umtiti. It will take a while to make that determination. But as it stands, they are all very good defenders
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM wrote:Not cut and dry that Bailly is better than Laporte or Umtiti. It will take a while to make that determination. But as it stands, they are all very good defenders
It is, actually, re-Umtiti.

The Barcelona philosophy places a much, much higher demand on the CD than United's.

At Barca, the CD doesn't just have to stop an attack, he has to recover the ball technically, without loss of possession, in order to function as the foundation of the attacking game and of ball possession.

Few EPL defenders have the ability to do that.

Doesn't necessarily make them bad defenders; just of a lower technical level...
Last edited by txj on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

txj wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Not cut and dry that Bailly is better than Laporte or Umtiti. It will take a while to make that determination. But as it stands, they are all very good defenders
It is, actually.

The Barcelona philosophy places a much, much higher demand on the CD than United's.

At Barca, the CD doesn't just have to stop an attack, he has to recover the ball technically, without loss of possession, in order to function as the foundation of the attacking game and of ball possession.

Arrant nonsense :lol: :lol:

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YemiBrazil wrote:Chairman Bailly is head, shoulder and stomach above Umtiti, Skriniar, Laporte etc without any question.
It's debatable. I thought Umtiti started his Barca career slowly but he's been strong this season. Saw him in the flesh when Barca played Valencia earlier in the season and he stood out. France has a ridiculous number of quality centre-backs.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

The YeyeMan wrote:
It's debatable. I thought Umtiti started his Barca career slowly but he's been strong this season. Saw him in the flesh when Barca played Valencia earlier in the season and he stood out. France has a ridiculous number of quality centre-backs.
In comparison, what was your opinion when you saw Chairman Bailly in the flesh?

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YemiBrazil wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
I've only seen him play on TV. He's very good, no doubt at all about that.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Didn't you watch Bailly in La Liga? He is an excellent passer up there with the likes of Stones. He is at 86 percent. Umtiti is at 92 percent but think the difference is Umtiti gets more shorter passing opps at Barca. Bailly could have thrived at Barca too

But like he I said they are all very good. Let's see how it plays out long term
txj wrote:

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I did, in the two clubs he played for. Improved greatly at Villareal, but was never elite talent.
My views remain. He doesn't and never had the level for what is expected of a CB at Barca.

YUJAM wrote:Didn't you watch Bailly in La Liga? He is an excellent passer up there with the likes of Stones. He is at 86 percent. Umtiti is at 92 percent but think the difference is Umtiti gets more shorter passing opps at Barca. Bailly could have thrived at Barca too

txj wrote:

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

He didn't play much at Espanyol. In fact he was snapped up after only a handful of games. Five to be exact. This was his first stint at any top level so of course he'd continue to improve. At Villarreal he started to show signs that he could be elite but at Man U, he's been elite. IMO at least. The stats also suppoo this. His passing percentage, won tackles etc all point to this. He is also great at dealing with elite attackers.

I am quite sure Barca scouted him
txj wrote:I did, in the two clubs he played for. Improved greatly at Villareal, but was never elite talent.
My views remain. He doesn't and never had the level for what is expected of a CB at Barca.

YUJAM wrote:Didn't you watch Bailly in La Liga? He is an excellent passer up there with the likes of Stones. He is at 86 percent. Umtiti is at 92 percent but think the difference is Umtiti gets more shorter passing opps at Barca. Bailly could have thrived at Barca too

txj wrote:

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM wrote:He didn't play much at Espanyol. In fact he was snapped up after only a handful of games. Five to be exact. This was his first stint at any top level so of course he'd continue to improve. At Villarreal he started to show signs that he could be elite but at Man U, he's been elite. IMO at least. The stats also suppoo this. His passing percentage, won tackles etc all point to this. He is also great at dealing with elite attackers.

I am quite sure Barca scouted him
txj wrote:I did, in the two clubs he played for. Improved greatly at Villareal, but was never elite talent.

txj wrote:

He's done well so far, but elite is stretching it; much as one admires the Umbuntu thingy on here...Wouldn't even class Skriniar or Umtiti elite just yet; and both are well ahead of him this season. I suspect he may need to alter his approach a bit to stay healthy for extended stretches...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YemiBrazil wrote:
txj wrote:
It is, actually.

Arrant nonsense :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YemiBrazil wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: