Las Palmas vs Malaga on Monday, Feb 5

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: Las Palmas vs Malaga on Monday, Feb 5

Post by chief nfachairman »

maceo4 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Wonder how our boy stopped getting PT with SE, and the likes of Agu came and took over.
Agu isn't a bad player though.
He's ok, but to me Etebo is a higher class/caliber player, from his touch to his engine etc...
Do they play the same position and serve the same tactical purpose?
When Etebo was playing he played CM/DM alongside Onazi, so with Onazi getting hurt vs Zambia expected he would get the call to play centrally with Ndidi.
I watched the 1hour interview posted here after the Zambia match and ROhr said he wanted someone that would come in and be very defensive in the midfield and that while Ogu was injured, Etebo likes to go forward.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Etebo was too much. One thing I like about him is his ball control. Fantastic close ball control and once he has that ball, its not getting off his leg. Confident passes, sooo much energy to burn.

As for ideye, he showed alot of power and held up the ball when he had service. Also created one or 2 sweet chances. He would gradually get into the game.

Success looked like a sack of garri. He's unfit.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Etebo is at best a sub for SE in Russia. He’s not going to bench any of the starters or wide forwards unless there’s an injury. He also seems to do well but the results are hardly quantifiable, no goals, assists, few tackles or clearances but he had a good game.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
oloye wrote:Is Success still running towards the corner flag with the ball in the name of dribbling?
He didn't quite make it to the corner flag, gassed out quarter of the way there :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

maceo4 wrote:
oloye wrote:Is Success still running towards the corner flag with the ball in the name of dribbling?
He didn't quite make it to the corner flag, gassed out quarter of the way there :rotf:

Cheiii!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Etebo bulala
[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Wow Etebo balled today.

He displayed close control, dribbling, passing, and shooting abilities. The guy was looking like a poor man's Essien. He was really good and his game has much improved since the last game I saw him play for SE. His passing was very accurate, even his one touch passing, I have never seen Etebo this good.

Honestly the way he played today I can say that he could actually give Onazi a run for his money to start. Onazi has never displayed passing so accurate and intelligent before. I am actually thinking of Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo.

I do not understand how on earth Rohr was beginning to prefer Mikel Agu to Etebo.

This worldcup will be sweet. Etebo could actually be a secret weapon off the bench, he will terrorize opposition midfields.

Ideye IMO did ok for his first match, and after a very long layoff. He showed that he still has something to offer in Russia. Other than Ighalo he is probably our next best "holdup/target" striker.

He is certainly better than the likes of Nwakaeme or Aaron Samuel.

Success needs to lose weight, but he will clearly get more gametime at Malaga than at Watford, so its up to him to get in shape and get a hold of his career.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

What we have now is different from the 2014 WC squad. Etebo may not be a starter, but he will push the starters for a place. Imagine having Etebo, Joel Obi, Ideye, Awaziem, Aina etc on the bench, we will have a competitive bench and wouldn't experience a drop in quality when we make substitutions.
I am happy
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Great to see 9ja s in action and playing a league where the ball is passed on the ground. Great start for Etebo hope it continues. Brown has all the tools but only uses a faction of his talent but at lest he got 90 mins under his belt and almost provided an assist. Shame he ended on the losing side .

During press conference of his signing Etebo stated he see himself as a second striker........ which means thenigeriancoach was right in placing Agu who is a defensive midfielder when onazi got injured . The thing one want is a second striker playing defensive midfield
Pavarotti
Egg
Egg

Post by Pavarotti »

Match report

MOTM Etebo Powers UD Las Palmas Past Ideye & Success Málaga

Nigerian Forward Peter Etebo was the best player on the field in the relegation dogfight between Las Palmas & Malaga

Etebo was one of 3 Nigerians who featured as as Las Palmas edged out bottom of the LaLiga table Malaga 1-0 at the Estadio Gran Canaria . . . http://www.soccerassembly.com/motm-eteb ... ss-malaga/
Last edited by Pavarotti on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Flex Swift wrote:Great to see 9ja s in action and playing a league where the ball is passed on the ground. Great start for Etebo hope it continues. Brown has all the tools but only uses a faction of his talent but at lest he got 90 mins under his belt and almost provided an assist. Shame he ended on the losing side .

During press conference of his signing Etebo stated he see himself as a second striker........ which means thenigeriancoach was right in placing Agu who is a defensive midfielder when onazi got injured . The thing one want is a second striker playing defensive midfield
You are very right. And he has never played in the defensive midfield for Nigeria. ROhr and Siasia used him alot more in the central midfield but he played a more adanced role in the olympics and against the dead rubber tie against Algeria.

I would rather use Etebo in the Central midfeidl, rather than Onazi. He would give us alot more attacking bite than Onazi while still keeping it tight in the midfield. Joel is another player would pick ahead of Onazi becuase hecreates from deep and can go for the goal.

Although Etebo was great, he was playing against the most useless team in Spain. But again, this was just his first game and once he masters the LaLiga, Real nd Barca would be looking for him.

In Portugal, he carried the whole Fareinse team.
sholaJay
Egg
Egg

Post by sholaJay »

Ideye may not score many goals in Russia, but he will be a good foil for Iheancho. Etebor style of play is well suited to make him stand out in the Spanish league, the boy has a bright future.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE.

The late Denny Green's quote is probably the best way to describe the performance of our boys yesterday.

Emenike - MIA, just like he has chosen to make himself unavailable for the National team.

Success - Huff & Puff a bit, but clearly lacks the pace and energy to last for more than a half of football. Will be interesting to see if he can regain fitness as the season progresses, but should not be a factor for Russia, in my opinion.

Ideye - Causes a divide amongst fans all the time. Some see him as the ideal targetman, others see him as a wastepipe. Was not in the game in the 1st half due to lack of service, but the 2nd half typified the potential and frustration that is Brown Ideye.

In one move he was running into the box from the left (his fav side) and had a sight of goal just outside the 18. Instead of shooting, he shimmied to the right trying to beat a recovering defender (a 2nd defender had also moved into the space & he would have had to beat him too). A more direct striker would have either shot, or continued the direct advance on goal to force a foul.

In another move on the wing, he controlled nicely on the chest, delivered a pinpoint cross into the 6 yard box, but his teammate hit the goalie, when a tap in seemed more likely.

I'm good with whatever Rohr decides on Ideye.

Etebo - Not much more needs to be said. Solid member of our 23. Like Ideye he also causes some divide on here, but in a good way.. Some wonder what position he plays etc.

Etebo has at least 2 things going for him. 1) he hustles like crazy (and that makes some suggest he should be a DM, which is wrong) & 2) Also due to 1) the boy knows how to get into scoring positions. He pops up in the right places & gets those attempts on goal. Think vs. Japan in the Olympics and Egypt in Kaduna

Etebo should not be in the conversation as a DM. HE can play in Central midfield, Attacking Midfield and as a support striker. As Oloye once said, he is one of those players that can always pop up in all the right places on the field.

With Mikel given the free role in midfield, Etebo is likely competing with the likes of Iwiobi and Onazi and may start on the bench, but he certainly belongs to the team and the coach will make his matchday formations based on what he sees in camp.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Saw the game last night. Think Etebo proved what many of us have observed for a while now. He a very good footballer who possesses attributes that make him a potentially significant starter for the S Eagles. IMO he has it all. He has the best stamina I've seen in any of the current group of SE. He is a good passer, he's intelligent, can shot from range and he's also a good dribbler.

He has an opportunity to improve as a footballer in La Liga
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:Saw the game last night. Think Etebo proved what many of us have observed for a while now. He a very good footballer who possesses attributes that make him a potentially significant starter for the S Eagles. IMO he has it all. He has the best stamina I've seen in any of the current group of SE. He is a good passer, he's intelligent, can shot from range and he's also a good dribbler.

YUJAM,

KPOM. I am surprised today to read all these as if Etebo just arrived today. The only ones being extremely effusive on this are those who had not carefully observed Etebo and, perhaps, watched him only on his bad day v South Africa. Nothing he did in this game yesterday was surprising, to state the least.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Enugu II wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Saw the game last night. Think Etebo proved what many of us have observed for a while now. He a very good footballer who possesses attributes that make him a potentially significant starter for the S Eagles. IMO he has it all. He has the best stamina I've seen in any of the current group of SE. He is a good passer, he's intelligent, can shot from range and he's also a good dribbler.

YUJAM,

KPOM. I am surprised today to read all these as if Etebo just arrived today. The only ones being extremely effusive on this are those who had not carefully observed Etebo and, perhaps, watched him only on his bad day v South Africa. Nothing he did in this game yesterday was surprising, to state the least.
I can speculate it has something to do with Etebo never playing for any of the youth teams and playing in the NPL until 2 years ago. He is very underrated. He played well yesterday like he played well against Algeria... nothing new.

His "problem" has always been his versatility - confortable on the left wing, as a second striker and as a central midfielder.

By the way he had a contract with Udinese at 18 after passing a trial then got injured for a year and the contract got terminated somehow.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

YUJAM wrote:Saw the game last night. Think Etebo proved what many of us have observed for a while now. He a very good footballer who possesses attributes that make him a potentially significant starter for the S Eagles. IMO he has it all. He has the best stamina I've seen in any of the current group of SE. He is a good pasuser, he's intelligent, can shot from range and he's also a good dribbler.

Yujam abeg tell them! I remember that you wete attacked by some CEs for telling them how good Etebo is. Humble pie all round!
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote:Wow Etebo balled today.

He displayed close control, dribbling, passing, and shooting abilities. The guy was looking like a poor man's Essien. He was really good and his game has much improved since the last game I saw him play for SE. His passing was very accurate, even his one touch passing, I have never seen Etebo this good.

Honestly the way he played today I can say that he could actually give Onazi a run for his money to start. Onazi has never displayed passing so accurate and intelligent before. I am actually thinking of Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo.

I do not understand how on earth Rohr was beginning to prefer Mikel Agu to Etebo.

This worldcup will be sweet. Etebo could actually be a secret weapon off the bench, he will terrorize opposition midfields.

Ideye IMO did ok for his first match, and after a very long layoff. He showed that he still has something to offer in Russia. Other than Ighalo he is probably our next best "holdup/target" striker.

He is certainly better than the likes of Nwakaeme or Aaron Samuel.

Success needs to lose weight, but he will clearly get more gametime at Malaga than at Watford, so its up to him to get in shape and get a hold of his career.
Etebo has always been good. Playing in Africa, the pitch and incredible hulk bearing down on you is different from playing on a swift silky pitch in Europe against opponents who will give you some space.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:What we have now is different from the 2014 WC squad. Etebo may not be a starter, but he will push the starters for a place. Imagine having Etebo, Joel Obi, Ideye, Awaziem, Aina etc on the bench, we will have a competitive bench and wouldn't experience a drop in quality when we make substitutions.
Ideye is NOT going to the world cup. And you guys should allow Joel Obi peace. At this moment, our midfield is done! And more importantly, we are not going to sacrifice a space for someone who cannot stay healthy. Not happening. And to make it worse, this is not even someone who is part of the team. This is a stranger.

Mikel
Etebo
Ndidi
Onazi
Ogu
Agu

C'est fini
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

sholaJay wrote:Ideye may not score many goals in Russia, but he will be a good foil for Iheancho. Etebor style of play is well suited to make him stand out in the Spanish league, the boy has a bright future.
he wont score in Russia at all because he is NOT going! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Who are you going to drop for him? Iheanacho or Ighalo? You guys think we can take 50 players to the word cup?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:

YUJAM,

I have never seen Etebo play as well for SE as he did in his opening game for Las Palmas.

Etebo was horrible when he played under SSS, and he was horrible against SA. He put in a decent shift vs Algeria. I just call it how I see it.

He has certainly improved because his passing before was piss poor yet yesterday it was absolute class.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

VE, did you watch him at the Rio Olympics? As for f2f, Ideye and a fit Joel Obi are going to the WC. Local champions in the Israeli league are not going anywhere. Their team mates moved to more competitive leagues in the recent transfer window in otder to prepare for the WC but they chose to remain in their comfort zone. No amount of social media propaganda will get them to the WC.
I am happy