REBOOTED: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying) - SE & AFCON 2019

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
REBOOTED: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying) - SE & AFCON 2019

Post by Damunk »

DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE & Russia 2018: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying)

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They already renewed Rohr’s contract so it’s a non issue. Getting knocked out of the Girst round is undesirable but it’s no biggie. I’m sure Italy,Holland and Ghana would like than opportunity. Uganda too. :taunt:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

You get rid of a coach when the team is playing poor or not improving over a long period of time.

Persoanlly Rohr has done great with the team. I would keep him till 2022 with Yusuf and others being the understudy in the background.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Whatever happens, even if we lose all 3 games, Rohr must be left alone to groom these kids for future tournaments.
He has shown he has what it takes, and he has created not only a solid core, but a team foundation based on defense and discipline.

Rohr must stay, whatever happens.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bad belle evil thoughts. I bind it IJN. Amen
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

[/video]
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

We should be prepared for a first round ouster. In fact, we should by now have a plan of what to do because it is distinct possibility. We should have outgrown the era of disband the team and/or fire the coach after a dismal outing.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

A very young team.
Chief Damunk, if we get knocked in the first round (assuming it happens), then it happens. However, based on the achievement of the team and the way coach Rohr has performed, we all know keeping the coach will be the best thing to do. To me, the coach has done better than I had thought.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:Bad belle evil thoughts. I bind it IJN. Amen
Chief 1Naija; na wa for you-o!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Everything depends on the NFF...

If NFF has any semblance of corporate structure, there must have been Short-Term, Medium-Term & Long-Term Objectives set during that watershed moment that launched that U-17 class of 2013...

The advent of that class led the echo-chamber of the Nigerian football fraternity proclaiming the goal was 2022...

Was there a well-articulated implementation process and has it been rigorously followed since 2013..?

See below an article by a credible football journo (CompleteSports' Mumuni Alao) in his regular column "SoccerTalk"
Posted on 12/23/2012 03:42:00 PM by Mumini Alao
Nigeria: World Champions, 2022
COMMENTATOR: Ladies and gentlemen, there goes the final whistle and history has been made. Nigeria are the first African country to win the FIFA World Cup. The Super Eagles have done it! They have beaten Brazil by two goals to one in front of 100,000 spectators at this magnificent air-conditioned stadium in Qatar. The Africans have won the first FIFA World Cup to be hosted in the Middle East. The prediction by the great Pele of an African World Cup triumph has finally come to pass. Ironically it is at the expense of his own country, Brazil. The Brazilian players are still in shock. But the Super Eagles are jubilant. They are dancing all over the pitch. Nigeria are world champions! What a story...

THE FOREGOING is my prediction for the Super Eagles in 2022, ten years from now. Yes, Nigeria will win the World Cup and the core of the team that will do it for us are the current Golden Eaglets.

I am pinching myself as I write this. Why am I making such a “reckless” prediction when I have not watched the Eaglets play even for once? What has come over me? To be honest, I doubt if I can muster any convincing analysis to justify this outlandish and audacious prediction. But that is it anyway. That is my gut feeling.

Obviously, a lot has happened in Nigerian sports since I last wrote this column at the end of September, three months ago. Our Under-17, Under-20 and senior football teams all qualified for their respective African continental championships to be held next year, 2013, starting with the Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa in January.

In October, President Goodluck Jonathan hosted a national sports summit at Aso Rock to chart a new way forward for Nigerian sports following our dismal showing at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Thereafter, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan also hosted a Delta State Sports Summit also to kick-start a Delta initiative to discover and nurture future Olympians for Nigeria especially in athletics and canoeing.

Delta got an early opportunity to demonstrate that commitment when the state dusted everybody else at the recently-concluded 18th National Sports Festival to clinch first position in the medals table by a wide margin.
Lagos, meanwhile, put up a very good show at playing the hospitable hosts and graciously settled for third place behind Delta and Rivers states. Then last week, Victor Rumson Baribote was removed as chairman of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) to bring to an abrupt end a controversial and acrimonious tenure.

On a personal note, I moderated a session, “In search of the next African Star,” at a well-attended Soccerex Seminar in Lagos in late September and I was in Asaba for the Delta Sports Summit in late October. And just last week, I dusted up my boots and scored a fantastic first goal for the Complete Sports team as we beat all opposition en route to winning our first Lagos Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) Cup title. Throw in a bit of travel here and there on top of a busy official and domestic schedule, it has been a very hectic period, these past three months.

What stood out for me in all that period has been the performance of the Golden Eaglets and that is why I’m tipping them to rule the world in 2022.

In six qualifying matches played at home and away against Niger Republic, Guinea and Mali, the Eaglets emerged victorious on every occasion, scoring a massive 25 goals in the process and conceding only once. Their opponents may not be rated highly even by African standards, but when last did any Nigerian team win its matches so convincingly and in such commanding fashion even against the so called “minnows?” I have a very strong feeling that this particular set of Eaglets will achieve something great in the future.

Rather than tipping the Eaglets for glory just at next year’s African Under-17 Championship in Morocco or even the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in UAE also next year if they qualify, I have set a bigger goal for them because I want the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to start looking at the bigger picture and nurture this team accordingly. Whether the Eaglets win in Morocco or not, whether they qualify or win in UAE or not, the NFF should draw up a technical programme to keep and nurture them with the 2022 FIFA World Cup in mind.

There is a general consensus amongst football watchers that these Eaglets are the youngest to be assembled by Nigeria in recent times. Although few of the players may not be exactly under-17, they look and behave closer to 18 to 20-year-olds, rather than the 25 to 30-year-olds that have been paraded as Under-17s in the past. In 10 years’ time when I’m tipping them to win the World Cup for Nigeria, these boys will be at the peak of their careers as 28 to 30-year- olds with at least one World Cup experience (in 2018) under their belts.

At the time of their recruitment, none of the boys had played in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL). Veteran journalist Paul Bassey attested to their youthful innocence when he travelled with them to Niger Republic. Paul narrated how, when asked by an air hostess for their choice between chicken and beef meals, many of them simply answered “yes.” Paul related how the boys followed camp rules religiously and showed so much respect and obedience to their coaches Manu Garba, Emmanuel Amuneke, Nduka Ugbade and Emeka Amadi. These are some of the traits of a team that will be successful.

I suggest that the NFF should draw up a detailed 10-year technical development plan for the Eaglets that will culminate in their winning the FIFA World Cup in Qatar come 2022.

The plan should set minimum standards for the players as they progress in their careers and stipulate how those who fail to meet those standards will be dropped and replaced systematically. The plan should include how the NFF will relate with the players’ present and future clubsides and their individual managers. The plan should also state at what point these players will be weaned from their present coaches and the condition for upgrading the coaches alongside, if necessary, as the team advances.

All these may sound rather academic and rigid for a game that is as unpredictable and spontaneous as football. But as Barcelona Football Club of Spain have proved in the last few years, football can be planned deliberately and played systematically with highly positive results.

Nigeria should take a cue and plan with a clear-cut objective to be world champions in 2022. It might appear to many that we didn’t have such elaborate plans when we achieved our previous major triumphs in football. But a closer look at history reveals a different story.

Our 1980 Africa Cup of Nations triumph was achieved on the back of a consistent and progressive team building which saw a core of “Green Eagles” players win bronze medals at Ethiopia ‘76 and Ghana ‘78 before finally winning the gold and trophy in 1980.

Our 1994 Nations Cup victory was achieved in similar fashion as the core of the team built by coach Clemens Westerhof had previously won silver at Algeria ‘90 and bronze at Senegal ‘92 before hitting gold at Tunisia ‘94.

Our biggest soccer achievement of all, the Atlanta ‘96 Olympic football gold, shows that the winning squad was built around our 1993 Under-20 Flying Eagles (Taribo West, Teslim Fatusi, Abiodun Obafemi, et al), the 1993 Under-17 Golden Eaglets (Nwankwo Kanu, Celestine Babayaro, Mobi Oparaku, et al) and the USA ‘94 Super Eagles (Uche Okechukwu, Daniel Amokachi, Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Amuneke and Sunday Oliseh). Atlanta ‘96 was not an accident after all, but the end result of a gradual team building and moulding process, even if we didn’t realize it at the time.

Qatar 2022 can be bigger than 1980, 1994 and 1996 in Nigerian football history if we set our minds to it. We can win the World Cup because we have demonstrated an ability to do well at the global soccer stage in the past. And even if we don’t win it, I’m sure we won’t come up short by much. NFF, let’s give it a go!

Complete Champions!
http://www.soccertalknigeria.com/2012/1 ... _4141.html
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

It all depends on the circumstances of their ouster. If he loses control of his team at the mundial and they lose all their games, then he shoud not stay. Otherwise, let the man continue the good job he has done so far.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Keep Pinnick in place first.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.

If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Ebyboy wrote:I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating

Don’t bring Keshi into this discussion. Let the dead rest in peace.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Everything depends on the NFF...

If NFF has any semblance of corporate structure, there must have been Short-Term, Medium-Term & Long-Term Objectives set during that watershed moment that launched that U-17 class of 2013...

The advent of that class led the echo-chamber of the Nigerian football fraternity proclaiming the goal was 2022...

Was there a well-articulated implementation process and has it been rigorously followed since 2013..?

See below an article by a credible football journo (CompleteSports' Mumuni Alao) in his regular column "SoccerTalk"
Posted on 12/23/2012 03:42:00 PM by Mumini Alao
Nigeria: World Champions, 2022
COMMENTATOR: Ladies and gentlemen, there goes the final whistle and history has been made. Nigeria are the first African country to win the FIFA World Cup. The Super Eagles have done it! They have beaten Brazil by two goals to one in front of 100,000 spectators at this magnificent air-conditioned stadium in Qatar. The Africans have won the first FIFA World Cup to be hosted in the Middle East. The prediction by the great Pele of an African World Cup triumph has finally come to pass. Ironically it is at the expense of his own country, Brazil. The Brazilian players are still in shock. But the Super Eagles are jubilant. They are dancing all over the pitch. Nigeria are world champions! What a story...

THE FOREGOING is my prediction for the Super Eagles in 2022, ten years from now. Yes, Nigeria will win the World Cup and the core of the team that will do it for us are the current Golden Eaglets.

I am pinching myself as I write this. Why am I making such a “reckless” prediction when I have not watched the Eaglets play even for once? What has come over me? To be honest, I doubt if I can muster any convincing analysis to justify this outlandish and audacious prediction. But that is it anyway. That is my gut feeling.

Obviously, a lot has happened in Nigerian sports since I last wrote this column at the end of September, three months ago. Our Under-17, Under-20 and senior football teams all qualified for their respective African continental championships to be held next year, 2013, starting with the Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa in January.

In October, President Goodluck Jonathan hosted a national sports summit at Aso Rock to chart a new way forward for Nigerian sports following our dismal showing at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Thereafter, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan also hosted a Delta State Sports Summit also to kick-start a Delta initiative to discover and nurture future Olympians for Nigeria especially in athletics and canoeing.

Delta got an early opportunity to demonstrate that commitment when the state dusted everybody else at the recently-concluded 18th National Sports Festival to clinch first position in the medals table by a wide margin.
Lagos, meanwhile, put up a very good show at playing the hospitable hosts and graciously settled for third place behind Delta and Rivers states. Then last week, Victor Rumson Baribote was removed as chairman of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) to bring to an abrupt end a controversial and acrimonious tenure.

On a personal note, I moderated a session, “In search of the next African Star,” at a well-attended Soccerex Seminar in Lagos in late September and I was in Asaba for the Delta Sports Summit in late October. And just last week, I dusted up my boots and scored a fantastic first goal for the Complete Sports team as we beat all opposition en route to winning our first Lagos Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) Cup title. Throw in a bit of travel here and there on top of a busy official and domestic schedule, it has been a very hectic period, these past three months.

What stood out for me in all that period has been the performance of the Golden Eaglets and that is why I’m tipping them to rule the world in 2022.

In six qualifying matches played at home and away against Niger Republic, Guinea and Mali, the Eaglets emerged victorious on every occasion, scoring a massive 25 goals in the process and conceding only once. Their opponents may not be rated highly even by African standards, but when last did any Nigerian team win its matches so convincingly and in such commanding fashion even against the so called “minnows?” I have a very strong feeling that this particular set of Eaglets will achieve something great in the future.

Rather than tipping the Eaglets for glory just at next year’s African Under-17 Championship in Morocco or even the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in UAE also next year if they qualify, I have set a bigger goal for them because I want the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to start looking at the bigger picture and nurture this team accordingly. Whether the Eaglets win in Morocco or not, whether they qualify or win in UAE or not, the NFF should draw up a technical programme to keep and nurture them with the 2022 FIFA World Cup in mind.

There is a general consensus amongst football watchers that these Eaglets are the youngest to be assembled by Nigeria in recent times. Although few of the players may not be exactly under-17, they look and behave closer to 18 to 20-year-olds, rather than the 25 to 30-year-olds that have been paraded as Under-17s in the past. In 10 years’ time when I’m tipping them to win the World Cup for Nigeria, these boys will be at the peak of their careers as 28 to 30-year- olds with at least one World Cup experience (in 2018) under their belts.

At the time of their recruitment, none of the boys had played in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL). Veteran journalist Paul Bassey attested to their youthful innocence when he travelled with them to Niger Republic. Paul narrated how, when asked by an air hostess for their choice between chicken and beef meals, many of them simply answered “yes.” Paul related how the boys followed camp rules religiously and showed so much respect and obedience to their coaches Manu Garba, Emmanuel Amuneke, Nduka Ugbade and Emeka Amadi. These are some of the traits of a team that will be successful.

I suggest that the NFF should draw up a detailed 10-year technical development plan for the Eaglets that will culminate in their winning the FIFA World Cup in Qatar come 2022.

The plan should set minimum standards for the players as they progress in their careers and stipulate how those who fail to meet those standards will be dropped and replaced systematically. The plan should include how the NFF will relate with the players’ present and future clubsides and their individual managers. The plan should also state at what point these players will be weaned from their present coaches and the condition for upgrading the coaches alongside, if necessary, as the team advances.

All these may sound rather academic and rigid for a game that is as unpredictable and spontaneous as football. But as Barcelona Football Club of Spain have proved in the last few years, football can be planned deliberately and played systematically with highly positive results.

Nigeria should take a cue and plan with a clear-cut objective to be world champions in 2022. It might appear to many that we didn’t have such elaborate plans when we achieved our previous major triumphs in football. But a closer look at history reveals a different story.

Our 1980 Africa Cup of Nations triumph was achieved on the back of a consistent and progressive team building which saw a core of “Green Eagles” players win bronze medals at Ethiopia ‘76 and Ghana ‘78 before finally winning the gold and trophy in 1980.

Our 1994 Nations Cup victory was achieved in similar fashion as the core of the team built by coach Clemens Westerhof had previously won silver at Algeria ‘90 and bronze at Senegal ‘92 before hitting gold at Tunisia ‘94.

Our biggest soccer achievement of all, the Atlanta ‘96 Olympic football gold, shows that the winning squad was built around our 1993 Under-20 Flying Eagles (Taribo West, Teslim Fatusi, Abiodun Obafemi, et al), the 1993 Under-17 Golden Eaglets (Nwankwo Kanu, Celestine Babayaro, Mobi Oparaku, et al) and the USA ‘94 Super Eagles (Uche Okechukwu, Daniel Amokachi, Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Amuneke and Sunday Oliseh). Atlanta ‘96 was not an accident after all, but the end result of a gradual team building and moulding process, even if we didn’t realize it at the time.

Qatar 2022 can be bigger than 1980, 1994 and 1996 in Nigerian football history if we set our minds to it. We can win the World Cup because we have demonstrated an ability to do well at the global soccer stage in the past. And even if we don’t win it, I’m sure we won’t come up short by much. NFF, let’s give it a go!

Complete Champions!
http://www.soccertalknigeria.com/2012/1 ... _4141.html
Quite prophetic. Great article. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Some of his words are coming to pass esp regarding the 2013 Golden Eaglets.
Their contribution to the national team swells in numbers by the day.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

A very young team.
He should be FIRED!

The kind excuses una (not you) are making and are prepared to make for an oyibo sef... :?

This is a results based profession unless you are an Arsenal fan. :bored:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:

A very young team.
Chief Damunk, if we get knocked in the first round (assuming it happens), then it happens. However, based on the achievement of the team and the way coach Rohr has performed, we all know keeping the coach will be the best thing to do. To me, the coach has done better than I had thought.
I agree, but you and I both know our people.
I think we are very impulsive and are more than likely to react first and think much, much later if things don't go well.
If we can resist that urge, it will be the better choice in my opinion.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

A very young team.
BTW, if we keep not qualifying for U20 and U17 WCs, it will be difficult to find new talent to fight for spots...
Unless Pinnick's plan is to base the National Team on talent born, bred and groomed overseas?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:

A very young team.
BTW, if we keep not qualifying for U20 and U17 WCs, it will be difficult to find new talent to fight for spots...
Unless Pinnick's plan is to base the National Team on talent born, bred and groomed overseas?
Interesting point.
But a quick look around will show that our U-17 talents are only progressing when they are exported to clubs abroad.
Those that remain seem in arrested development.
Even Uzoho was in Aspire, UAE.
Onyekuru too, if I'm not mistaken.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:

A very young team.
Interesting point.
But a quick look around will show that our U-17 talents are only progressing when they are exported to clubs abroad.
Those that remain seem in arrested development.
Even Uzoho was in Aspire, UAE.
Onyekuru too, if I'm not mistaken.
That's my point... you need to qualify for those tournaments to showcase talents who can then be groomed abroad. If you don't qualify for those tournaments then you are left with relying on players born, bred, and groomed abroad.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Damunk wrote:

You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.
DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Flex Swift wrote:

Don’t bring Keshi into this discussion. Let the dead rest in peace.
Why? What makes Rohr unique? Why should he be insulated from
comparison with Keshi?

Bryne V. Deane [1937]