CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup - NFF Technical Memb

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup - NFF Technical Memb

Post by Toxicarrow »

CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup, says Adelabu

By Gowon Akpodonor

07 February 2018 | 4:00 am

Former Green Eagles winger, Adegoke Adelabu says no member of the home-based Eagles has any chance of grabbing a shirt in Nigeria’s Russia 2018 World Cup team.

The coach Salisu Yusuf-led Eagles managed to get to the final of the African Nations Championship (CHAN), which ended on Sunday in Morocco, only to lose scandalously 0-4 to the hosts.

Adelabu, a member of the NFF Technical Study Group told The Guardian yesterday that including any member of the CHAN Eagles in the team to the World Cup would a risk taken too far.

“I watched virtually all their matches, and to be sincere, I doubt if the players are the best in the Nigerian Professional Football League,” Adelabu said. “I don’t see any of them making the Super Eagles team to the World Cup. It will be too risky for a serious minded coach to do.”

Adelabu, who played for the then IICC Shooting Stars of Ibadan, said the CHAN Eagles fell short in various ways on technicalities of modern day football. “They were just playing, kicking the ball around without a clear purpose. Their passes were too short, and to worsen it, their tactical approaches were nothing to write home about.

“I watched their semifinal game against Sudan and at a point, I felt so disappointed with the way our boys were playing. They defeated Sudan to reach the final, but the question is how did they win? A team can build its playing pattern around one player, but in the case of the CHAN Eagles, everybody was just running around the pitch for ninety minutes. I didn’t see a particular hitman on the part of the CHAN Eagles throughout the championship. That was the main reason the Moroccans were able to fire from all cylinders against Nigeria in the final. As I said, if I am a coach taking the Super Eagles to the World Cup in Russia, I won’t waste my time thinking twice on possibility of including any of the players in the team. Maybe, their time will come much later,” Adelabu, a former manager of Eko United FC of Lagos, stated.

The heavy defeat to Morocco notwithstanding, officials of the NFF are celebrating Nigeria’s best–ever performance at the African Nations Championship with a runners–up prize money of $750,000. The team arrived Lagos unnoticed yesterday.

The team returned to Nigeria at about 3.00 a.m. aboard a Royal Air Maroc aircraft, and were received by officials of the Nigeria Football Federation, including former Nigeria international Abdulrafiu Yusuf (Assistant Director, Technical) and Mr. Sunday Okayi (Assistant Director, Competitions). The delegation was then flown to the Federal Capital, Abuja by the first flight out of Lagos.
http://guardian.ng/sport/chan-eagles-no ... adelabu/?F
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup - NFF Technical

Post by Odas »

Toxicarrow wrote:CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup, says Adelabu

By Gowon Akpodonor

Former Green Eagles winger, Adegoke Adelabu says no member of the home-based Eagles has any chance of grabbing a shirt in Nigeria’s Russia 2018 World Cup team.

The coach Salisu Yusuf-led Eagles managed to get to the final of the African Nations Championship (CHAN), which ended on Sunday in Morocco, only to lose scandalously 0-4 to the hosts.

Adelabu, a member of the NFF Technical Study Group told The Guardian yesterday that including any member of the CHAN Eagles in the team to the World Cup would a risk taken too far.

“I watched virtually all their matches, and to be sincere, I doubt if the players are the best in the Nigerian Professional Football League,” Adelabu said. “I don’t see any of them making the Super Eagles team to the World Cup. It will be too risky for a serious minded coach to do.”

“I watched their semifinal game against Sudan and at a point, I felt so disappointed with the way our boys were playing. They defeated Sudan to reach the final, but the question is how did they win? A team can build its playing pattern around one player, but in the case of the CHAN Eagles, everybody was just running around the pitch for ninety minutes. I didn’t see a particular hitman on the part of the CHAN Eagles throughout the championship.

I keep reading of the highlighted in several sources and if that is the case, how were the players we took to the tournament chosen? Why was the BETTER players not selected?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:CHAN Eagles not materials for World Cup, says Adelabu

By Gowon Akpodonor

“I watched their semifinal game against Sudan and at a point, I felt so disappointed with the way our boys were playing. They defeated Sudan to reach the final, but the question is how did they win? A team can build its playing pattern around one player, but in the case of the CHAN Eagles, everybody was just running around the pitch for ninety minutes. I didn’t see a particular hitman on the part of the CHAN Eagles throughout the championship.

I keep reading of the highlighted in several sources and if that is the case, how were the players we took to the tournament chosen? Why was the BETTER players not selected?
Odas, 'good, better, best' will always be subjective.
Me, you and danfo driver can each choose a squad of 30 players which will never match. We might have 10, even 15 players in common but our starting elevens will still differ, guaranteed.
Already we have strong differences on the goalkeeping issue. :D

Small time now, I will accuse you of 'dropology', you will accuse me of tribalism and danfo driver will accuse both of us of cluelessness.
That's the Nigerian way.
We just have to recognise that opinions will differ.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

“I watched virtually all their matches, and to be sincere, I doubt if the players are the best in the Nigerian Professional Football League,” Adelabu said.

The highlighted is one of the most ridiculous statements that consistently comes up regarding our national teams. Whenever I have come across it, it makes me wonder if there is a group of footballers that carry around their forehead an iron-branded statement designating them "the best."

The reality is that selecting the best is always subjective and cannot be otherwise. Why? There is nothing objective in ways players are selected. This is exactly why different coaches prefer different players any where in the world. Think about this, even if one is to use some quantitative criteria to select players, you are bound to miss important qualitative criteria which may include difficult-to-measure factors such as psychological readiness.

Thus, it is simply pandering to audience emotion when someone makes an empty claim that the best players are not selected. The coach, who one assumes intends to keep the job, always selects the players that he subjectively deems the BEST available to help him achieve his goals. Surely, that selection will not always match our own beliefs and it should not be expected to do so since the coach is not us. He has his own subjective beliefs.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:

“I watched virtually all their matches, and to be sincere, I doubt if the players are the best in the Nigerian Professional Football League,” Adelabu said.

The highlighted is one of the most ridiculous statements that consistently comes up regarding our national teams. Whenever I have come across it, it makes me wonder if there is a group of footballers that carry around their forehead an iron-branded statement designating them "the best."

The reality is that selecting the best is always subjective and cannot be otherwise. Why? There is nothing objective in ways players are selected. This is exactly why different coaches prefer different players any where in the world. Think about this, even if one is to use some quantitative criteria to select players, you are bound to miss important qualitative criteria which may include difficult-to-measure factors such as psychological readiness.

Thus, it is simply pandering to audience emotion when someone makes an empty claim that the best players are not selected. The coach, who one assumes intends to keep the job, always selects the players that he subjectively deems the BEST available to help him achieve his goals. Surely, that selection will not always match our own beliefs and it should not be expected to do so since the coach is not us. He has his own subjective beliefs.
It is a lazy man's approach at criticising the work of others. If you make a remark like that one would have expected the one making the remark to put forward these better players. Any clown can make a claim like that ,which is why i am surprised it is coming from Adegiloke Adelabu, who i believe must be a prof by now, having gone into academics and lecturer at OAU as far back as in the 80s.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

E2
I disagree wth you, maybe the man has some stats, assist, chances created, goal scored, goals saved, team with the best defenders in the league but none of the defenders. So we have indicators
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Prince wrote:E2
I disagree wth you, maybe the man has some stats, assist, chances created, goal scored, goals saved, team with the best defenders in the league but none of the defenders. So we have indicators
Princess, "Best" is subjective.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Cellular wrote:
Unku Utaba if you take mcginley ahead of ian wright then we need to know how you arrive at your own best
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Prince,

Lets assume he has such indicators. Even those do not, for certainty, determine who the best players are. The fact is that it is the coach's subjectivity that determines the best players. Ofcourse, we also have our own subjectivities. In essence, there does not exist an objective criteria for determining "best." As I pointed out even the presence of quantitative data does not indicate a full measure of indices to determine a player's quality. After all, there are a significant aspect of those qualities that are not measurable via quantification.

Think about this -- why do you think that in spite of the access to all kinds of quantitative data -- American teams and their coaches consistently miss out in their selection of players in college drafts? Not only do they miss regularly, but they also regularly disagree on who the best players are! The fact is that there is nothing existing (anywhere in the world TODAY!) that measures, affirmatively, the BEST players.Thus, the BEST is based, substantively, on some subjective decision making.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Enugu II wrote:
Prince,

Lets assume he has such indicators. Even those do not, for certainty, determine who the best players are. The fact is that it is the coach's subjectivity that determines the best players. Ofcourse, we also have our own subjectivities. In essence, there does not exist an objective criteria for determining "best." As I pointed out even the presence of quantitative data does not indicate a full measure of indices to determine a player's quality. After all, there are a significant aspect of those qualities that are not measurable via quantification.

Think about this -- why do you think that in spite of the access to all kinds of quantitative data -- American teams and their coaches consistently miss out in their selection of players in college drafts? Not only do they miss regularly, but they also regularly disagree on who the best players are! The fact is that there is nothing existing (anywhere in the world TODAY!) that measures, affirmatively, the BEST players.Thus, the BEST is based, substantively, on some subjective decision making.

The best should be selected based on statistics, messi is the best based on stats not some subjective decision making. Most Nigerian coaches select players on bias, dropology and favoritism. So there is no other player in the Nigerian league better than old azz rabui Ali? Nonsense
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

9jaMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Prince,

The best should be selected based on statistics, messi is the best based on stats not some subjective decision making. Most Nigerian coaches select players on bias, dropology and favoritism. So there is no other player in the Nigerian league better than old azz rabui Ali? Nonsense
Surprise you mention Rabiu Ali. He may be one of few players that those who follow the league will point to as consistently good for his club.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I watched some CHAN games of Nigeria. There are a few guys on the team with great potential. The tall CD, left back, the DM Atelouma or sthg like that and a few attackers were all solid
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:I watched some CHAN games of Nigeria. There are a few guys on the team with great potential. The tall CD, left back, the DM Atelouma or sthg like that and a few attackers were all solid
Yujam,

The tall center back was good at the CHAN but I view him far from ready to play at SE level. His tackling and his passes out of the back are just not good enough for the next level in my opinion. Of all the out field players, the guy that I think is ready to play at the SE level (not necessarily make the team at this time) is the left back Ikouwem Udoh. His tackling is clean and he seamlessly joins the attack and his defensive skills are good enough.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

he is just stating the obvious.
The standard of that entire tournament is very poor
Remember Uzoenyi was once upon a time mvp of CHAN and was taken to the world cup on that basis
we all know how that turned out
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I dont know but I just think there is something not encouraging about former players rubbishing current players in public. Maybe its just me but I somewhat expect former players to be more cagey with their public utterances especially if they themselves were no "best" players
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cellular wrote:
It is not. It's only " subjective" when you are comparing player of equal abilities. It's not subjestive that Messi and Ronaldo were the best players in the world the past few years. Who can you sujectively say was better?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

1naija wrote:
Cellular wrote:
It is not. It's only " subjective" when you are comparing player of equal abilities. It's not subjestive that Messi and Ronaldo were the best players in the world the past few years. Who can you sujectively say was better?
Chief, there is no stand out player in the NPFL. Anyone who rears his head is immediately snapped up by a foreign club and the remaining players are of approximate abilities and that is why "best" is subjective as far as NPFL is concerned.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In fact, three of those players are likely automatic call ups for both the U20 and U23 i.e Faleye, Nura, and Udotin. Keep watch. Today, Nura who made the CHAN squad but rarely played reportedly tormented Rangers and yet people claim that the boys who went to CHAN were not among the NPFL's best. Ridiculous, if you ask me.