Rohr’s pragmatism suggests 3511 for Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Rohr’s pragmatism suggests 3511 for Nigeria

Post by waka-man »

Victor Moses operating as a wing-back with more success than he ever had as a winger
The form of Alex Iwobi
Kelechi’s finishing power
Mikel’s play further upfield
The relative abundance of central midfielder and central defenders compared to a collection of fast but inexperienced full backs.

I think Rohr will evaluate all of this and line Nigeria up as follows everyone being fit:
Ezenwa
Balogun Ekong Awazien
Moses Onazi Mikel Ndidi Idowu/Shehu
Iwobi
Iheanacho

The fact that the same personnel can easily adjust to 4 -3 -3 without needing any substitutions makes this even more likely.

And I like it. It’ll give us defensive solidity, allow players to operate in the preferred (or best) positions and allow us to play both on the counter and with possession.

What does it sacrifice? We’ll a bit of width and a bit of pace. It’ll require Ndidi to play a bit more box to box. And if the service to Nacho isn’t stellar, he could be a passenger and he’s unlikely to thrive off lumped balls from Ekong. And it’ll put pressure on the CD’s to play out from the back, something none of them, apart from maybe Awaziem, is particularly comfortable doing. So it’s not prefect.

Still, I’m increasingly convinced that’s how we’ll line up. The March friendlies will tell.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr’s pragmatism suggests 3511 for Nigeria

Post by Sunset »

Moses is too much of an attacking threat for us to have him as a Wing back, would stick to one of Shehu, Ebuehi, or Aina on that right. The jury's still out on that left back/LWB position, I'd like to see what Etebo can do there, at least as a Wing back only though. If we do stick to this 3 at the back, I'd like to see us with an XI like this maybe:

Ezenwa
Awaziem, Balogun, Ekong
Ebuehi, Ndidi, Mikel, Etebo
Moses, Iheanacho, Iwobi
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

3 CD who have never played 1 single international competition and you put Ezenwa in goal. Thank God this is just an opinion.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:3 CD who have never played 1 single international competition and you put Ezenwa in goal. Thank God this is just an opinion.
Not my selection; just trying to read the man’s mind.

I’m struggling to see who else he’ll start in goal TBH. He’s unlikely to risk an inexperienced keeper in Uzoho. Enyeama doesn’t seem to be getting any action. What other choices does he have?
As for Moses, sure, he’s an attacking talent. But he’s proven more effective attacking from the deeper and wider position that wing back gives him as opposed to wide of a front three.

I don’t think the Argentina experiment of three at the back was a fluke. And if we play three at the back, the line up won’t be far from what I’ve posted here. No way is Mikel playing as one of just two central mids.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:3 CD who have never played 1 single international competition and you put Ezenwa in goal. Thank God this is just an opinion.

I’m struggling to see who else he’ll start in goal TBH. He’s unlikely to risk an inexperienced keeper in Uzoho. Enyeama doesn’t seem to be getting any action. What other choices does he have?
As for Moses, sure, he’s an attacking talent. But he’s proven more effective attacking from the deeper and wider position that wing back gives him as opposed to wide of a front three.

I don’t think the Argentina experiment of three at the back was a fluke. And if we play three at the back, the line up won’t be far from what I’ve posted here. No way is Mikel playing as one of just two central mids.
waka-man,

My reading of Rohr is that he has made a tentative choice of his starting goalkeeper. I believe the choice is Uzoho. Why do I make this statement? There are clues to this and I list them in Ayonesque style below:

1. Uzoho is playing in Europe and if you have followed Rohr's call ups or have read his statements he believes that Europe provides certain advantages. Uzoho's competitors are not playing in Europe and none of them has shown that he is significantly better than Uzoho.

2. Rohr, it appears (from his statement), would prefer Enyeama but Enyeama has not progressed as publicly agreed i.e. playing club football at this time. Rohr is not likely to take the risk if Enyeama is not playing regularly. What is unknown is whether non-productivity of his current GKs may force him to do the unthinkable i.e. call up Enyeama regardless.

3. He has publicly stated that one of SE's Asst Coaches for Goalkeepers will be seconded to work closely with Uzoho at his club. Note that this assistance is not being provided to Ezenwa or to Akpeyi or to anyone else.

Based on the above, I believe strongly that Rohr has anointed Uzoho starting goalkeeper but this does not mean that he cannot change based on actual performance during the friendlies.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

It's a huge ask to make the players play a totally different system they've never played together. I hope Rohr's pragmatism considers the difficulty of completely switching systems at the last hour

It also under-utilizes our strength which is our attack. We can try easing into it... a formation change if/when we get a lead vs Croatia perhaps
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

niyi wrote:It's a huge ask to make the players play a totally different system they've never played together. I hope Rohr's pragmatism considers the difficulty of completely switching systems at the last hour

It also under-utilizes our strength which is our attack. We can try easing into it... a formation change if/when we get a lead vs Croatia perhaps
niyi,

He has actually used something very very similar i.e. a 3-5-2 v Argentina. I suspect that it will be used in certain games at the WC when he varies from his preferred 4-2-3-1.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

waka-man wrote:

The 343 experiment ended promptly at HT. We were clearly dominated trying to use the 343 but came back with the 433 and beat them fair n square. It’s unreasonable to assume that the system that clearly didn’t work is the one he’s going with.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

great thread and write ups :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
waka-man wrote:

The 343 experiment ended promptly at HT. We were clearly dominated trying to use the 343 but came back with the 433 and beat them fair n square. It’s unreasonable to assume that the system that clearly didn’t work is the one he’s going with.
The experiment didn’t end at all. Personel changed with Aina and Shehu making way for Idowu and Ebuehi. Indeed, Idowu’s goal shows the attacking potential of this formation. It’s a mistake to interpret it as defensive.

But that’s besides the point. The fact is it frees Mikel to roam, gets Iwobi playing close to Nacho and puts Moses in a position where he is one of the best in the world while making use of our relative wealth in certain positions.

Like I’ve said it has its challenges, but despite our euphoria, this remains a limited side and Rohr will have to find a way to accentuate our positives (which is neither in the wide positions nor in the full back positions).
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why don't we just wait until Rohr comes up with his line-up?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

1naija wrote:Why don't we just wait until Rohr comes up with his line-up?
Wait nau... Are we forcing you to discuss?
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Oliseh had his chance, leave the coaching alone. Be a fan.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Sunset wrote:

Yes. We have limited space to be wasting on discussions like this.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:

Facts,

Rohr is not daft enough to relegate our most creative attacking player to a wingback role. Not today, not at the WC,....conte's preference for onyinbo attackers, (why else would you trade batshuayi for giroud?) has nothing to do with our SE abeg,
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:

How are we forcing you to discuss uncle?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

waka-man wrote:
waka-man wrote:

The experiment didn’t end at all. Personel changed with Aina and Shehu making way for Idowu and Ebuehi. Indeed, Idowu’s goal shows the attacking potential of this formation. It’s a mistake to interpret it as defensive.

But that’s besides the point. The fact is it frees Mikel to roam, gets Iwobi playing close to Nacho and puts Moses in a position where he is one of the best in the world while making use of our relative wealth in certain positions.

Like I’ve said it has its challenges, but despite our euphoria, this remains a limited side and Rohr will have to find a way to accentuate our positives (which is neither in the wide positions nor in the full back positions).
Exactly!

You make some very valid points to be honest, but I do feel like Moses might not (personally) want to play that position at least for the National Team, it might unsettle him.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

One thing Rohr has said time and again is he likes to vary his tactics according to the game. "Otherwise the opponent will know how you play". I love that. Today na back 4, tomorrow na back three, next week na wing back and if you rake too much, e turn wing forward etc. This young team can only grow & get better in next 4 years.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Sunset wrote:
1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:

You could pm each other with any permutation of lineup you wish in your heads and let the rest of us wait for Rohrs line-up.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:
1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:

You could pm each other with any permutation of lineup you wish in your heads and let the rest of us wait for Rohrs line-up.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Abeg bros what topic would you like to discuss? If you no wan make we speculate about awa beloved team, wetin we go jist about naw?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

waka-man wrote:
1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:
1naija wrote:
Sunset wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Abeg bros what topic would you like to discuss? If you no wan make we speculate about awa beloved team, wetin we go jist about naw?
:rotf: No mind me o. Discuss away..
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sunset wrote:
waka-man wrote:
waka-man wrote:

Exactly!

You make some very valid points to be honest, but I do feel like Moses might not (personally) want to play that position at least for the National Team, it might unsettle him.
What about a 442 with Vic mo on the Right and iwobi on the left? The Croatia game is likely to be a high scoring game and we need our best attacking team. Also, VM can help the RB with Perisic.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

What about a 442 with Vic mo on the Right and iwobi on the left? The Croatia game is likely to be a high scoring game and we need our best attacking team. Also, VM can help the RB with Perisic.
Something like this?

Ezenwa
Shehu, Balogun, Ekong, LB
Moses, Mikel, Ndidi, Iwobi
Iheanacho, Ighalo

Not a bad idea at all, but by the nature of our players, it'll probably end up being a 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 more often than not. I'm still worried about the Left Back position though, can't really think of anyone that has made a proper case.