Agents win one- Ajayi ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Agents win one- Ajayi ?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/05/of ... riendlies/

Unofficial don turn official again. Ajayi supposedly got a letter from his club.

Is it

a, An invitation from Rohr for the friendlies?
b, An invitation from Nff but not from Rohr
c, A letter of intent to help get an invitation from Rohr?

Na which one? 48hrs till the list is published. We go see!
OCCUPY NFF!!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Agents win one- Ajayi ?

Post by truetalk »

It is the last set of friendlies before countries have to submit a 30 man shortlist to FIFA.
You'd expect the list to include a few prospects who are not likely to make the final list, but take advantage of the friendlies to test the other 7 or 8 players in consideration for the 30 man shortlist.

Plus, we probably need a big forward to compete with & act as back up to Ighalo. So one of Ideye/Awoniyi/Ajayi/Deseers/Osimhen/Nwaekeme might just make the final cut. Ighalo is somewhat lucky himself and he largely stunk up the joint in recent SE callups, but performed in the crucial Cameroon games, so he has become the starter in the minds of most of us.

Expect at least 1, but possibly up to 3 World Cup roster thieves though. Players not currently in the setup, but who make it to Russia. Maybe someone from the list of strikers I mentioned, and possibly a GK (it might just be Ikeme)
Last edited by truetalk on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

TT Ikeme won’t be seeing action in Russia. He is going As a goodwill ambassador.

Btw if JA got his invitation last week, all the other players would have got theirs too... I take everything on Owngoal with a pinch of salt these days.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If this is true then I will let rohr get a pass because he has performed tremendously good. Let’s be clear, Ajayi couldn’t even get into our U23 Olympics team but all of a sudden gate crash SE World Cup squad. Okay, but they will say that Agents has no power. I knew there was something fishy involved with ajayi when I saw various Nigerian websites praising him and touting him for world. I won’t say anything until I see the squad
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

well deserved call up
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:If this is true then I will let rohr get a pass because he has performed tremendously good. Let’s be clear, Ajayi couldn’t even get into our U23 Olympics team but all of a sudden gate crash SE World Cup squad. Okay, but they will say that Agents has no power. I knew there was something fishy involved with ajayi when I saw various Nigerian websites praising him and touting him for world. I won’t say anything until I see the squad
YoungJohn12, the wicked producer, FIFA says teams should submit a 30 man shortlist.

There will be some players that Rohr does not intend to take to the WC on that list.

The likes of Taribo and Kanu played the friendlies b4 94. Osaze was with the team b4 2002.

Biko, relax.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

It will be a 28 man list with two CHAN players (Ezenwa and Eze?) on the list according to Rohr

https://www.hulkshare.com/b9lfqkqfhh4w
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

He has no business being called up ahead of Sadiq Umar or Awoniyi.

I still remember how much of a wastepipe he was on the U23 side.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

vancity eagle wrote:He has no business being called up ahead of Sadiq Umar or Awoniyi.

I still remember how much of a wastepipe he was on the U23 side.
That is why you people should track the NPFL and the qualifiers if possible. Junior Ajayi was injured at the Olympics, & I was surprised Sia1 took him.

Ajayi, Etebo & Awoniyi showed them pepper in the U-23 Nations Cup in 2015. That was also the qualifier for the Olympics.

He most likely won't make the World Cup squad, but this is not a scandalous callup for the friendlies before the 30 (or 28) man shortlist is compiled.

[/video]
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Just wanted to add the Etebo show in the finals. Just for fun.

[/video]
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Like I've previously mentioned, expect about three players that were not part of the qualifiers to make the final 23. Recall, our legendary 1994 team had Chidi Nwanu and Mike Emenalo who not only jumped on the plane, but also made the starting line-up.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

vancity eagle wrote:He has no business being called up ahead of Sadiq Umar .
If sadiq has been overlooked im favour of Ajayi osimehn nwakaeme or olanrewaju then I’ll be convinced Rohr (or someone advising him) has something against Umar
not only is it very unjust to exclude him it damages our chances of progressing imho
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

john12 wrote:If this is true then I will let rohr get a pass because he has performed tremendously good. Let’s be clear, Ajayi couldn’t even get into our U23 Olympics team but all of a sudden gate crash SE World Cup squad. Okay, but they will say that Agents has no power. I knew there was something fishy involved with ajayi when I saw various Nigerian websites praising him and touting him for world. I won’t say anything until I see the squad
He made the Olympic team...
Edging out Awoniyi in the process.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

He's been very good at Al Ahly, primarily playing as a Wing Forward, which is where he will probably get his opportunity (It will be a mistake to try him at Centre Forward). However, I would have anticipated him getting look in after the World Cup, rather than before.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

mystic wrote:It will be a mistake to try him at Centre Forward.
Why? That's his primary position and that's where we need people.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Gotti wrote:
He made the Olympic team...
Edging out Awoniyi in the process.
Some people live in the past still judging him based on a tournament in 2016 where he was injured. The same ones who think Ezekiel Imoh and Isaac Success deserve call ups...
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

niyi wrote:

That may be where we need someone, but that's not where he excels at the moment. We've already been down this road with Anthony Nwakaeme, who we tried as a CF, even though he's more effective as a WF and that didn't work out (and for the record I like Ajayi more than Nwakaeme). At this point our call ups are very precious and we can't afford to waste one as we did with the Chidiebere Nwakali invite last time out.

Mind you, I am not bashing the call up per se, because Junior Ajayi is playing at a level that is clearly deserving of national team attention. But he will be more useful to us as a Wing Forward, where we actually do need someone as cover for our top four guys (with Henry Onyekuru injured, Isaac Success floundering and Noah Bazee perpetually wrapped in cotton wool).

However, if the object is to look at a Centre Forward that can actually make an impact on the team as currently constituted, then Sadiq Umar is a far better option.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I'm going to hammer so hard this World Cup.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

mystic wrote:
niyi wrote:

That may be where we need someone, but that's not where he excels at the moment. We've already been down this road with Anthony Nwakaeme, who we tried as a CF, even though he's more effective as a WF and that didn't work out (and for the record I like Ajayi more than Nwakaeme). At this point our call ups are very precious and we can't afford to waste one as we did with the Chidiebere Nwakali invite last time out.

Mind you, I am not bashing the call up per se, because Junior Ajayi is playing at a level that is clearly deserving of national team attention. But he will be more useful to us as a Wing Forward, where we actually do need someone as cover for our top four guys (with Henry Onyekuru injured, Isaac Success floundering and Noah Bazee perpetually wrapped in cotton wool).

However, if the object is to look at a Centre Forward that can actually make an impact on the team as currently constituted, then Sadiq Umar is a far better option.
It's a different case. Nwakaeme is a winger who was used as a striker, Ajayi is a striker currently playing as a wing forward because his club has another good striker and he's too good to be dropped.

With regards to Sadiq Umar being a better option, I respectfully disagree. I've watched both players and I think Ajayi is a better scorer and a more refined football player.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Agent don vex
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

niyi wrote:
mystic wrote:
niyi wrote:

It's a different case. Nwakaeme is a winger who was used as a striker, Ajayi is a striker currently playing as a wing forward because his club has another good striker and he's too good to be dropped.

With regards to Sadiq Umar being a better option, I respectfully disagree. I've watched both players and I think Ajayi is a better scorer and a more refined football player.

As a CF, Sadiq is better.

Now with regard to Ajayi, I've watched almost all his games as an U23 player. And have followed his progress very keenly both with CS Sfaxien and Al Ahly. At CSS he was predominantly played as a Wing Forward as well, so it is not simply because Ahly have another good striker that they choose to play him there.

So I reiterate what I said before. If Ajayi is being called up to fill the void at Centre Forward behind Ighalo and Ihenacho, I think that we will be disappointed. However as cover and competition for our top four Wing Forwards (Moses, Iwobi, Simon & Musa) his call up is well deserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote:
he should have common sense and wait for the list to be announced before he thanks the coach publicly.

I dont know the player very well, so I have no comment regarding his invitation. Good luck to him.

For those of us who have not followed his career, here is a video:

[/video]
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?