Rohr Explains non-invitation of Alampasu & Ajiboye....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Rohr Explains non-invitation of Alampasu & Ajiboye....

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Rohr explains why Alampasu and Ajiboye were dropped for Poland and March friendlies - See more at: https://goo.gl/Tz45eU
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

metalalloy wrote:
Odas wrote:Based on what coach Rohr has said, does it mean our three keepers are known and we are set? Well, fingers crossed, waiting to see the latest development in this our goalkeeping problem.

Nope. All it means is that two fringe players have been ruled out for sure.
“Alampasu, unfortunately, is never playing,” added Rohr. “You cannot take a goalkeeper who is never playing.
Interesting that Alampasu is the only one he singled and rules out in this category at this time. :D
He spoke about Alamasu, not singled him out. Of the goalkeepers that have NOT retired, :tic: he's the only one not seeing action.
But you can be rest assured that inactive keepers will not smell the inside of the plane to Russia, retired or not :D
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote:Still don't understand the crowd who continue to shout for Alampasu's inclusion. Yes he was impressive at the U17 World Cup back in 2013, but that was 5 years ago and it has been stagnant since then.
Which crowd?
Where? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

metalalloy,

My concern is not the starting position, however. The concern is about making the 23-man list to the World Cup. There will be, by FIFA rule, three goalkeepers on that list. Right now all three -- Uzoho, Ezenwa, Akpeyi -- are going on that list with ABSOLUTELY no competition within this period before the World Cup. This is the only position where this is happening and yet it is an area that most people are disappointed with the performance. Is Rohr basically telling everyone that he is fully satisfied with that department as opposed to other areas where he has introduced competition for that final list?
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:The point is that in defense, midfield and forward we have some competition for squad places. In goalkeeping which we consider poor, there is no such competition. Don't tell me that there are no other Nigerians who can compete with Akpeyi if we claim Akpeyi is so poor. Makes little sense.

Please do not limit your imagination by considering only Alampasu and Ajiboye as only options for competition at that position. Surely there are other options.
I hear you but the fact that the GK position is a position where only one player can play vs other positions makes it a bit different from those positions. At the end of the day, there is competition between 3 players for 1 starting spot. He could argue that he had a competition of 5 keepers that he has narrowed already down to 3 and he just needs to focus on finding his starter. I am not comfy with it, but he is loathe to bring in new players into his squad.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Useless coach.....with Enyeama, we will definitely make the finals.. :o oh well nothing lost, stupid coach.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What about Osigwe? He plays every week.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:What about Osigwe? He plays every week.
Deg, third division in Switzerland though...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Clearly, Rohr's approach to the goalkeeping issue raises some questions. Surely, now is not the time to stand pat and feel that position is resolved. It is not even the least arguable that any of the goalkeepers have attained the unassailable status of a Mikel or Moses to warrant the special treatment.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Obong wrote:Clearly, Rohr's approach to the goalkeeping issue raises some questions. Surely, now is not the time to stand pat and feel that position is resolved. It is not even the least arguable that any of the goalkeepers have attained the unassailable status of a Mikel or Moses to warrant the special treatment.
what has he said that leads you to the conclusion that the position is resolved?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Obong wrote:Clearly, Rohr's approach to the goalkeeping issue raises some questions. Surely, now is not the time to stand pat and feel that position is resolved. It is not even the least arguable that any of the goalkeepers have attained the unassailable status of a Mikel or Moses to warrant the special treatment.

Actually, you are right. It would be special treatment to invite goalkeepers not playing and hasn't played in over a year to try out for a WC team. I am glad Rohr has rejected the special treatment approach.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

True, but one of the GKs in the current squad is a RESERVE GK in South Africa...
So which do we go for? GK who is first choice for the team top of the Swiss 3 Div, or a reserve for a South African team?...
maceo4 wrote:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:True, but one of the GKs in the current squad is a RESERVE GK in South Africa...
So which do we go for? GK who is first choice for the team top of the Swiss 3 Div, or a reserve for a South African team?...
maceo4 wrote:
Ah ah now Akpeyi na reserve now? Kai :rotf: :rotf: Anyways we might also have to do file for a switch since he's played U-18 for the Swiss, but adding a second 3rd division GK na real wa, but choices are limited.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:

Actually, you are right. It would be special treatment to invite goalkeepers not playing and hasn't played in over a year to try out for a WC team. I am glad Rohr has rejected the special treatment approach.
1naija

Do not be fixated on the Enyeama issue. Are there no other goalkeepers that are active and good enough to compete?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Emenalo was playing 3rd Div football when he played in the 1994 WC. Ditto Efe Sodje in the 2002 WC. Nigeria sadly had a track record of scraping the barrel!
maceo4 wrote: Ah ah now Akpeyi na reserve now? Kai :rotf: :rotf: Anyways we might also have to do file for a switch since he's played U-18 for the Swiss, but adding a second 3rd division GK na real wa, but choices are limited.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

Do not be fixated on the Enyeama issue. Are there no other goalkeepers that are active and good enough to compete?
Like who though? Is there any Nigerian keeper making waves that his head and above the likes of Ezenwa and co in the local league? I am honestly asking as i dont have access to naija league games from this past season.

We have had a crises since Ikeme's unfortunate situation. All these months we have seen inconsistent performances from all three keepers on Rohr's list and he has stuck with them, do you really think he will call in some new untested keeper with 3 months to go to the WC? In the past he explained Akpeyi's continued call ups on account of his "experience" this is a quality he appears to place a premium on as he has used it to justify his call up of other struggling/non playing) players (Musa, Echiejile, and onazi to a lesser extent). The problem is that there have been flashes where each of these keepers has been competent if not pretty good. So that is probably his draw to stick with them and keep hoping to turn a bunch of turds into at least one diamond.

Personally i still think a window is open for Enyeama to get a recall, but in the interim Rohr is sticking with the keepers he has been working on over the past year, and the one new keeper who performed admirably when called up against top notch opposition.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

One really wonders how some contributors comprehend. To say the least, it's rather childish. Whoever has a personal ax to grind with Enyeama can go and camp out in front of his house in France or Uyo. That doesn't prevent us from discussing the goalkeeping position or any other position on the team until we determine our final 23.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Yup! much better to invite a treasonous crook!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

Like who though? Is there any Nigerian keeper making waves that his head and above the likes of Ezenwa and co in the local league? I am honestly asking as i dont have access to naija league games from this past season.

We have had a crises since Ikeme's unfortunate situation. All these months we have seen inconsistent performances from all three keepers on Rohr's list and he has stuck with them, do you really think he will call in some new untested keeper with 3 months to go to the WC? In the past he explained Akpeyi's continued call ups on account of his "experience" this is a quality he appears to place a premium on as he has used it to justify his call up of other struggling/non playing) players (Musa, Echiejile, and onazi to a lesser extent). The problem is that there have been flashes where each of these keepers has been competent if not pretty good. So that is probably his draw to stick with them and keep hoping to turn a bunch of turds into at least one diamond.

Personally i still think a window is open for Enyeama to get a recall, but in the interim Rohr is sticking with the keepers he has been working on over the past year, and the one new keeper who performed admirably when called up against top notch opposition.
This is a very simple question. Ezenwa has largely earned his stay with the SE, but was not the regular starter for Ifeanyi Ubah last season, and he will probably not start for Enyimba this season (yes, the Breda, Fatau Dauda plays for Enyimba).

I still cannot imagine that Femi Thomas is not in the National team setup. He has been the best keeper in the league over the last decade (4 seasons plus for Enyimba) and he was just nominated as one of the best players in the league (only keeper on the list) this season.

I always go by what I see first though, and every time I have seen him, he has looked like a National team keeper. Lagos CEs, please try to see the MFM vs Rangers game in Lagos if possible. I'll check for the dates.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

EII, who are the other secret goalkeepers that Rohr has not considered? And make no mistake about it, all these noise is about Vincent! The coach has stated clearly why he has selected the 3 goalkeepers in the team, but that's not sufficient for some people. The only 3 goalkeepers out there that would warrant these discussions are Vincent, Ajiboye, and Alampasu. The coach has explained why they are not in the team, but you still want them tried out? Why waste valuable limited minutes on goalkeepers not playing anywhere?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

EII, who are the other secret goalkeepers that Rohr has not considered? And make no mistake about it, all these noise is about Vincent! The coach has stated clearly why he has selected the 3 goalkeepers in the team, but that's not sufficient for some people. The only 3 goalkeepers out there that would warrant these discussions are Vincent, Ajiboye, and Alampasu. The coach has explained why they are not in the team, but you still want them tried out? Why waste valuable limited minutes on goalkeepers not playing anywhere?
truetalk just mentioned Femi Thomas, someone else mentioned Osigwe, can't believe theres no other goalies from our local league only Ezenwa???
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

truetalk just mentioned Femi Thomas, someone else mentioned Osigwe, can't believe theres no other goalies from our local league only Ezenwa???
So you think people will be satisfied if truetalk's players that could not make the WAFU and CHAN squad are selected to FIGHT for a shirt for the WC 3 months to the tournament? Okay o.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

So you think people will be satisfied if truetalk's players that could make the WAFU and CHAN squad are selected to FIGHT for a shirt for the WC 3 months to the tournament? Okay o.
If he’s truly been selected as the best in the same league that Ezenwa plays in then why can’t he be given a chance?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

1naija

So you think people will be satisfied if truetalk's players that could make the WAFU and CHAN squad are selected to FIGHT for a shirt for the WC 3 months to the tournament? Okay o.
If he’s truly been selected as the best in the same league that Ezenwa plays in then why can’t he be given a chance?
Who selected him? Did the people not know about the WAFU cup and CHAN?