Super Eagles: What March Friendlies May Decide

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Super Eagles: What March Friendlies May Decide

Post by Enugu II »

The other two players -- Akpeyi and Ezenwa -- have played enough games to give Nigerians an idea of what they are capable of doing. Ezenwa appears to be the front runner between the two. He concedes a goal after 171 minutes on average compared to Akpeyi who concedes a goal every 65 minutes (see Table 1).
But in the dark clouds and dark moments, a light still shines through for Echiejile. For one, he remains the most competent of the three defenders when it comes to winning aerial duels. That remains a strong aspect of Echiejile's game. Unfortunately, that isn't the only thing that Coach Rohr will expect from his left back. Both Aina and Idowu are better in one-and-one duels and better in joining the attack at critical moments.

Details found via the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/03/w ... ecide.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles: What March Friendlies May Decide

Post by smartbrother »

the link is to your website you should be more transparent about that

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/03/w ... ecide.html
What March Friendlies May Decide.......

Two games in March for Nigeria provides an opportunity to separate players currently vying for positions in the team. Two of those positions -- goalkeeping and left back -- are the most hotly contested. In each of those positions, three players compete not only for the starting spot but also for a place in the squad to the World Cup. While the final decisions on this issue may not come until the summer camp, it is quite likely that the international friendlies on March 23 and 27 would go a long way to assist the coaches in making decisions.It is possible that players may begin to separate themselves from the competition based on performance in one or both international friendlies.

In this piece, we take a preliminary look at each player contesting for those positions and evaluate their current chances. Of course, the view shared here is simply my subjective view. However, such a view is based on watching them perform for the national team and for those players who have barely played an international, their club performance assists in this evaluation.

Goalkeeping
This is one position where none of the contestants have particularly given the Nigerian fans a dose of confidence. In the past, except at the 1998 World Cup, the goalkeeping position had always been one of Nigeria's strongest. That is far from the case this time. Nevertheless, it is possible that one of the three contestants may begin to win the confidence of Nigerian fans with an impressive performance in the coming days. Of the three, Francis Uzoho has barely played. However, in 45 minutes of action against Argentina he earned praises but when those 45 minutes are put into context then Francis still has a lot more minutes to play in order to affirm his status as worthy of being the starter at the World Cup.

The other two players -- Akpeyi and Ezenwa -- have played enough games to give Nigerians an idea of what they are capable of doing. Ezenwa appears to be the front runner between the two. He concedes a goal after 171 minutes on average compared to Akpeyi who concedes a goal every 65 minutes (see Table 1). That is a world of difference! In fact, Ezenwa's average could even be much better if one took away the four conceded in one game when Nigeria was overrun by Ghana at the WAFU Cup. His rate of conceding a goal is quite good at the international level.

Ezenwa's biggest drawback is his tendency to lounge, with both feet, at a breakaway attacker. On the plus side, he oozes confidence and has sharp reflexes, at least sharper than his competition for the position. His real competition for the starting spot is Uzoho. Uzoho has a magnificent physique and his biggest advantage is his ability to control aerial balls which is a huge plus against international opposition. However, he is not exactly astute in timing his move off the goal area to confront oncoming breakaways nor is he quick to get down at balls.
Left Back
After 60 appearances, veteran left back Elderson Echiejile faces fierce competition for his position (see Table 2). His years of experience will not afford him any protection because it is clear that he has slowed down over the years. However, the fact remains that the performances by his competition -- Ola Aina and Brian Idowu -- have not exactly assured Echiejile's relegation to the bench. That might change after the two internationals this month. In a sense, this is a watershed moment for Echiejile as a Nigerian international.

But in the dark clouds and dark moments, a light still shines through for Echiejile. For one, he remains the most competent of the three defenders when it comes to winning aerial duels. That remains a strong aspect of Echiejile's game. Unfortunately, that isn't the only thing that Coach Rohr will expect from his left back. Both Aina and Idowu are better in one-and-one duels and better in joining the attack at critical moments. As for pace, Echiejile is again trailing both Idowu and Aina.

Conclusion
The goalkeeping and left back positions remain the most vexing for Nigeria going into the March international friendlies. However, those internationals may provide answers and induce confidence in the two areas if a clear starter begins to emerge. That may be the most valuable outcome from the two upcoming internationals.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

the left back spot isn't "vexing" to anyone who doesn't have a biased view
Aina has been doing very well playing there this season and Idowu looks a decent back up
imho, anyone who thinks Echejile has any business playing for the SE at this stage does not have Nigeria's interests at heart
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

smartbrother wrote:the link is to your website you should be more transparent about that
Why? It's his blog, so what?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

'smart'brother doing 'smart' things as usual.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

smartbrother wrote:the link is to your website you should be more transparent about that

hey dumb moron, quit lifting entire articles if the content owner does not wish to have it posted in its entirety here. ANd if you choose to ignore the wishes of the content owner, at least have the simple decency to follow forum forum rules you ......

* Proper credits and URL links must be provided for articles or reports that are not originally yours or your work. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Please put EVERY article or work lifted from another site in quotes. Violators or threads that are in violation will either be locked or deleted without explanation.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

The YeyeMan wrote:
exactly.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:
The Yeyeman,

CE has let members of this website provide information with links to their website. As far as I know, that practice has not changed since it began prior to the existence of my blog. That is a practice that I have regularly taken advantage of and I am unaware of any changes to that. I plan to continue to take advantage of that except if CE authorities rule otherwise.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Yeyeman,

CE has let members of this website provide information with links to their website. As far as I know, that practice has not changed since it began prior to the existence of my blog. That is a practice that I have regularly taken advantage of and I am unaware of any changes to that. I plan to continue to take advantage of that except if CE authorities rule otherwise.
Na you dey waste your time to even respond.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Pick your poison.

1, Ezenwa facing up to 15 corners in the first round

Or

2, Uzoho having to come off his line to stop a breakaway 3 times in the first round.

Who will conceed more goals?
OCCUPY NFF!!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

smartbrother wrote:the left back spot isn't "vexing" to anyone who doesn't have a biased view
Aina has been doing very well playing there this season and Idowu looks a decent back up
imho, anyone who thinks Echejile has any business playing for the SE at this stage does not have Nigeria's interests at heart

Idowu starts, aina may not make the WC 23 if Rohr prefers Elderson's experience.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Pick your poison.

Or

2, Uzoho having to come off his line to stop a breakaway 3 times in the first round.

Doesnt matter. As long as the crook is stuffing his face with Okra in Uyo, thats all that matters. :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote:

Or

Doesnt matter. As long as the crook is stuffing his face with Okra in Uyo, thats all that matters. :rotf: :rotf:
Who the crook? Hope you’re not referring to Enyeama as a crook unless u want war on this day to arrive at your doorstep. :curse:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Good read. I agree that it's essentially a contest between Ezenwa and Uzoho for the number one jersey.

Ezenwa needs to show that he can consistently handle high balls into the box, as well as show better judgement when coming off his line to challenge attacking players (I thought he exhibited growth in this area during CHAN, but needs to continue to improve).

Uzoho, meanwhile, needs to build on his performance against Argentina. The main drawback with him is simply his lack of experience, and there is no wishing it away. If he emerges as our number one, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that his inexperience won't cost us at a critical point. He is very promising though. No question about that.

As for Akpeyi, he needs to have a clean game when he gets his chance. This will hopefully help him banish the ghosts of his last two Super Eagles performances.

Commenting on our fullbacks, I hope we get to see Aina at both outside back spots (particularly with Ebuehi's fitness concerns).
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mystic wrote:Good read. I agree that it's essentially a contest between Ezenwa and Uzoho for the number one jersey.

Ezenwa needs to show that he can consistently handle high balls into the box, as well as show better judgement when coming off his line to challenge attacking players (I thought he exhibited growth in this area during CHAN, but needs to continue to improve).

Uzoho, meanwhile, needs to build on his performance against Argentina. The main drawback with him is simply his lack of experience, and there is no wishing it away. If he emerges as our number one, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that his inexperience won't cost us at a critical point. He is very promising though. No question about that.

As for Akpeyi, he needs to have a clean game when he gets his chance. This will hopefully help him banish the ghosts of his last two Super Eagles performances.

Commenting on our fullbacks, I hope we get to see Aina at both outside back spots (particularly with Ebuehi's fitness concerns).
Is it possible for a 30yr old keeper to improve? Ezenwa and Akpeyi are on the wrong side of improvement. A basket is a basket. You can only seal it temporarily.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Yeyeman,

Prof no waste your time. Good article.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
mystic wrote:Good read. I agree that it's essentially a contest between Ezenwa and Uzoho for the number one jersey.

Is it possible for a 30yr old keeper to improve? Ezenwa and Akpeyi are on the wrong side of improvement. A basket is a basket. You can only seal it temporarily.

Ezenwa has already improved a great deal from when he was first invited to the national team by Sunday Oliseh. Akpeyi on the other hand, seems to be getting worse with each national team game.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Yeyeman,

You don't need to explain, I couldn't follow smartbrother's point.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

danfo driver wrote:

Or

Who the crook? Hope you’re not referring to Enyeama as a crook unless u want war on this day to arrive at your doorstep. :curse:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, bros Emir, na you coll name-o. Bros Danfo-driver no coll anybodi name.
Last edited by Odas on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Yeyeman,

And we know it is your website. No issues with that.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mystic wrote:

Ezenwa has already improved a great deal from when he was first invited to the national team by Sunday Oliseh. Akpeyi on the other hand, seems to be getting worse with each national team game.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oga Mystic, be sure Akpeyi's agent(s) doesn't see this, else you're on your own.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

I think folks will be shocked if/when Akpeyi is handed the No. 1 shirt...
Meanwhile, if I was a betting man (I'm not), I'll put money on Uzoho as 3d GK.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Gotti wrote:I think folks will be shocked if/when Akpeyi is handed the No. 1 shirt...
Meanwhile, if I was a betting man (I'm not), I'll put money on Uzoho as 3d GK.
Don't get subtle with us . Just bet on your guts.