WASTED FRIENDLIES

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
WASTED FRIENDLIES

Post by anointed »

Not enough players were invited. If you are gonna be submitting a provisional list of 30 players, you should have at least 35 players in camp.

Theoretically, especially, if we didn't bother about fifa ranking (should we have bothered), we could have used 44 players , that is, 11 each in 4 halves. We may not use up to that but I bet the players would have sat up the more. We used just one goalie in 180 minutes.

There are no more friendlies before the list of 30 players are submitted, meaning 2 players who were not on the current friendlies roster will be named and we cannot name any of our 23 outside the 30.

There was no competition for the slots. and the players appeared to play like their spots were assured. The individualism in the Serbia game was shocking. Using a combo of Joel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi and Wlffred Ndidi was a fallout of the lack of ample options in camp. So, we couldn't get another guy noted for attacking mf play?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: WASTED FRIENDLIES

Post by john12 »

Coach tries new players and lose fans complain not to try such Experiment again. We win, fans complain that it wasn’t deserved. My guy, this is football you don’t win all the time just support your team
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

john12 wrote:Coach tries new players and lose fans complain not to try such Experiment again. We win, fans complain that it wasn’t deserved. My guy, this is football you don’t win all the time just support your team
Who's talking about winning the friendlies? Friendlies are for assessing players performances, not about results. Abeg, dont bug me with your comprehension deficit.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

Not wasted in my opinion. This is the point of friendlies, test players and formations!
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Coach tries new players and lose fans complain not to try such Experiment again. We win, fans complain that it wasn’t deserved. My guy, this is football you don’t win all the time just support your team
Thats two subpar performances in a row, at least attacking wise. Its not even about a win or loss, the performance was not good, and on top of that we didn't really give every player a decent chance to stake their claim. The team bonded off the field but they need to translate it on the field and didn't really do that. Its quite shocking how uncoordinated we look in attack without Mikel.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

KIZONZO wrote:Not wasted in my opinion. This is the point of friendlies, test players and formations!
Are you satisfied with just 1 goalie in 180 minutes...Junior Ajayi given just 3 minutes...
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

maceo4 wrote:
Thats two subpar performances in a row, at least attacking wise. Its not even about a win or loss, the performance was not good, and on top of that we didn't really give every player a decent chance to stake their claim. The team bonded off the field but they need to translate it on the field and didn't really do that. Its quite shocking how uncoordinated we look in attack without Mikel.
There's more co-ordination in their singing and clapping on the bus than there is when they play football.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

anointed wrote:
KIZONZO wrote:Not wasted in my opinion. This is the point of friendlies, test players and formations!
Are you satisfied with just 1 goalie in 180 minutes...Junior Ajayi given just 3 minutes...
Bros Ajayi is an unknown quantity to Rohr and has not had more than 1 training session. I didn't expect him to play much. We have more friendlies, by then Rohr whould have had a good look at him.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

anointed wrote:Not enough players were invited. If you are gonna be submitting a provisional list of 30 players, you should have at least 35 players in camp.

Theoretically, especially, if we didn't bother about fifa ranking (should we have bothered), we could have used 44 players , that is, 11 each in 4 halves. We may not use up to that but I bet the players would have sat up the more. We used just one goalie in 180 minutes.

There are no more friendlies before the list of 30 players are submitted, meaning 2 players who were not on the current friendlies roster will be named and we cannot name any of our 23 outside the 30.

There was no competition for the slots. and the players appeared to play like their spots were assured. The individualism in the Serbia game was shocking. Using a combo of Joel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi and Wlffred Ndidi was a fallout of the lack of ample options in camp. So, we couldn't get another guy noted for attacking mf play?
Agu is one and perhaps a late call for another striker. There are not many good enough players that can force their way into the final 23. Look at what happened to Ebuehi today. He froze on the big stage. Was it not better to find out now he lacks big game temperament than later? I like the game today. We were solid most of the first half except on the right side where Ebuehi was and its no surprise both their goals came from there.
To stop trying is to start dying
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

anointed wrote:Not enough players were invited. If you are gonna be submitting a provisional list of 30 players, you should have at least 35 players in camp.

Don't think it was wasted.

He played different formation and tactics. He tried some players in different positions. He gave the young Keeper two solid games to gain some experience. This will help out a lot going forward.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

You just don't get it. This is not the time to build a team. At most the coach will be looking for 2 - 3 new players at this point. It will be so pointless flooding your camp with 35 players, which will waste so much time and effort and distract from what they should be doing now. At this point, you should be using the friendlies to gel the team going to the WC and trimming it down to 23. The best players we have, have had the opportunity over the last 2 years to make themselves known. If they're just making a mark now, it's already too late unless they are exceptional and waaaaaaay better than anything we currently have.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:
anointed wrote:
Bros Ajayi is an unknown quantity to Rohr and has not had more than 1 training session. I didn't expect him to play much. We have more friendlies, by then Rohr whould have had a good look at him.
I think the final squad is selected before the last friendlies.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

anointed wrote:
Absolutely satisfied. See Airwolex and Cellular's explanation. Also if we had tested Gabriel Reuben in 2014 prior to the WC in Brazil, he would have showed that he does not belong and not ready for the big stage. I would rather lose the friendlies while i find out more about the team now than wait till we have an injury situation to Shehu in the WC only to find out Ebuehi is not ready!
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Orion wrote:You just don't get it. This is not the time to build a team. At most the coach will be looking for 2 - 3 new players at this point. It will be so pointless flooding your camp with 35 players, which will waste so much time and effort and distract from what they should be doing now. At this point, you should be using the friendlies to gel the team going to the WC and trimming it down to 23. The best players we have, have had the opportunity over the last 2 years to make themselves known. If they're just making a mark now, it's already too late unless they are exceptional and waaaaaaay better than anything we currently have.
I think you should look into your mirror.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

airwolex wrote:
anointed wrote:
I would have thought that if you didn't know someone, you should put him on display the more in order to know him.

There are no more display before we submit out provisional list.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

KIZONZO wrote:
anointed wrote:
Absolutely satisfied. See Airwolex and Cellular's explanation. Also if we had tested Gabriel Reuben in 2014 prior to the WC in Brazil, he would have showed that he does not belong and not ready for the big stage. I would rather lose the friendlies while i find out more about the team now than wait till we have an injury situation to Shehu in the WC only to find out Ebuehi is not ready!
Once again, it's not about losing. And once again, the friendlies are more about the players performance. Maybe you want to express you found ut about the team.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
can04
Egg
Egg

Post by can04 »

Consider that the eagles need an assured backup goalkeeper, different looks in defensive and attacking midfield, and options in attack that suit counterattacking or possession play. And given that it is claimed he knows his core squad going into the WC, then all he should/must have been doing these last two games is experimenting. This is not to gloss over what I hope os obvious to all, and that the performances over these two friendlies were not great, but I believe they provided opportunities for the coach and his staff to learn quite a bit.

1. No clear midfield alternative to Mikel (in my humble opinion). This is our Achilles heal.
2. I believe he wanted to see Uzoho stake a claim for #2 keeper (maybe even #1 but that is a stretch for a pragmatic coach). No sense giving such an individual 45 minutes when he has hardly featured at this level before.
3. Trying Musa in attack may be an indicator of his versatility or of how precarious his position in the starting 11 really is (my opinion).
4. CD is locked down (again no surprise although I think there are vulnerabilities that can be exploited).

There is plenty more that can be said, and I am keen to read from more astute observers.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

can04 wrote:There is plenty more that can be said, and I am keen to read from more astute observers.
I will write soon.

:D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The friendlies goes to show Ghana would have represented African better
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Definitely not wasted. The coach also saw the players in training.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
can04
Egg
Egg

Post by can04 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
can04 wrote:There is plenty more that can be said, and I am keen to read from more astute observers.
I will write soon.

:D
I knew someone would bite :)
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Rawlings wrote:The friendlies goes to show Ghana would have represented African better
Certainly that s why they decided to boycott the friendlies so they can display their stuff on the world stage in Russia.

See you in Russia and please represent Africa very well.....
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

airwolex wrote:
anointed wrote:
This is the problem with fans, from the comfort of their warm rooms and shiny keypads , they know how best the coach who is out there in cold,sun and rain assessing the players, fans believe they know who should play and should not. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho