World cup rankings as per Guardian (Nigeria 7th)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: World cup rankings as per Guardian (Nigeria 7th)

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

jungle-jawara wrote:
charlie wrote:Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... qualifiers

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

FYI: England ranked 14th leading to very salty comments in the comment sections :thumbs: .

Personally, while the respect is nice, I would have prefered some more stealth going into the world cup.
Its easier to win games when you are underestimated. Thats just my own feelings, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

You guys just dey vex person with this "Argentina with no Messi" did they not play with 11 players? Or is it not certain, even with injury (backrooms staff) that Messi will go to the world cup? Was it not here some weeks ago that some said Kelechi might not make the flight to Russia? What happened, our no 9 Ighalo was missing with injury and Kelechi took his chance. What if Messi was available, and also Ighalo and Moses were all available. What is saying that we might not have won heavier.

More than probably any other player on earth, Lionel Messi carries his national team on his back. Argentina’s options are severely limited without him. If we had started the game with Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu, I do not see how they would have scored at all!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
wiseone wrote:Did you guys notice the comments from the entitled English fans asking how Iceland and Nigeria could be ranked above them? This is from a team that has not won a knockout game in a tournament for about 15 years, and who were knocked out of the Euros by Iceland.
Chai. See selective perception at its best. :roll:

You did not notice that at least the first 30 or so comments about England were totally negative?
I couldn't even find your quoted comment - got tired of searching for it.
If anything, England fans are more critical of their national team than even Nigerians. You no see that one.
This una hatred for England pass be kiaful.
There were quite a few comments questioning why Nigeria was rated highly.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Goldleaf wrote:The goal by Idowu for example was the end result of one-touch passing.
Nobody wants to talk about Iheanacho's heavy touch in the build up....?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wiseone wrote:Did you guys notice the comments from the entitled English fans asking how Iceland and Nigeria could be ranked above them? This is from a team that has not won a knockout game in a tournament for about 15 years, and who were knocked out of the Euros by Iceland.

You did not notice that at least the first 30 or so comments about England were totally negative?
If anything, England fans are more critical of their national team than even Nigerians. You no see that one.
Maybe so, but the first 30 or so comments I had the patience to read from top were totally negative about England and so wiseone's comment about 'entitled English fans' was misleading.
That's my point.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I like the high ratings, however, I think teams like Mexico, Colombia, and England have better chemistry than Nigeria at the moment. I also think Argentina will be a different team when the world cup starts. It's difficult not to consider Argentina as one of the favorites despite their sluggish start to the qualifiers.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:The goal by Idowu for example was the end result of one-touch passing.
I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed that Iheanacho has an attrocious first touch. Way too heavy to succeed at this level. Too often it gifts the opposition the ball
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:
In fact, it wasn't a pass... it was his usual heavy touch.

Tailor make mistake na style... Obioma do di same, he must replace your material. :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

jungle-jawara wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

FYI: England ranked 14th leading to very salty comments in the comment sections :thumbs: .

Personally, while the respect is nice, I would have prefered some more stealth going into the world cup.
Its easier to win games when you are underestimated. Thats just my own feelings, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

You guys just dey vex person with this "Argentina with no Messi" did they not play with 11 players? Or is it not certain, even with injury (backrooms staff) that Messi will go to the world cup? Was it not here some weeks ago that some said Kelechi might not make the flight to Russia? What happened, our no 9 Ighalo was missing with injury and Kelechi took his chance. What if Messi was available, and also Ighalo and Moses were all available. What is saying that we might not have won heavier.
Nna, Argentina playing without arguably the best player in the world is not Argentina. Dat wan na Ghana o. :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Cellular wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

Nna, Argentina playing without arguably the best player in the world is not Argentina. Dat wan na Ghana o. :P
For real. In fact, we should just change Nigeria vs Argentina to Nigeria vs Messi, because everytime we have played and lost to Argentina, it has been because of Lionel Messi Magic.

That said, it is not healthy for any team to be overdependent on one player. If Messi gets hurt, Argentina is fvcked!
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

charlie wrote:
Cellular wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

For real. In fact, we should just change Nigeria vs Argentina to Nigeria vs Messi, because everytime we have played and lost to Argentina, it has been because of Lionel Messi Magic.

That said, it is not healthy for any team to be overdependent on one player. If Messi gets hurt, Argentina is fvcked!
The problem is that meeeeedjt no dey wound. You don know di numba of pipuls way resembu Oloye dem way wan wound am?

Bobo na Oke ama onya (rat way no dey enter trap).
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I would have preferred for Nigeria to fly under the rader but oh well, we just have to be very prepared now because everyone will want to beat us, I pray we are not complacentlike Colombia was in 94
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

akamoke wrote:I would have preferred for Nigeria to fly under the rader but oh well, we just have to be very prepared now because everyone will want to beat us, I pray we are not complacentlike Colombia was in 94
How?

The competition for spots is still intense. Complacency sets in when spots are guaranteed. People dey snatch shirt make you forget the guy who had it before...

Competition no go let complacency set in.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Cellular wrote:
akamoke wrote:I would have preferred for Nigeria to fly under the rader but oh well, we just have to be very prepared now because everyone will want to beat us, I pray we are not complacentlike Colombia was in 94
How?

The competition for spots is still intense. Complacency sets in when spots are guaranteed. People dey snatch shirt make you forget the guy who had it before...

Competition no go let complacency set in.
I agree, way too much competition in the team and Rohr's German nature will never allow complacency in this team.
The only thing we need to pray against is injuries. Like that Argentinian midget we wont mention again, we also need Mikel to be Mikel in order for us to function at our optimum.

Lets just pray everyone is healthy.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I love how they picked Iwobi as our player to watch, it's always been Mikel, for me our key players are Iwobi and Moses
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Tobi17 wrote:I love how they picked Iwobi as our player to watch, it's always been Mikel, for me our key players are Iwobi and Moses
Naa bro. It is Moses and Mikel. We are a different team with both players playing...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Damunk, you are usually a reasonable and balanced chap. Not on this one though.

I am not sure if your device is hiding some of the comments, but there were many comments that referenced Iceland and Nigeria specifically asking why they were ranked above England. Please note that comments are not necessarily displayed chronologically on all devices (e.g. there is an option to view comments based on number of recommendations). Hence the first 30 comments YOU see may not be the first 30 comments I see.
Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Maybe so, but the first 30 or so comments I had the patience to read from top were totally negative about England and so wiseone's comment about 'entitled English fans' was misleading.
That's my point.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Down to 8th.
8) Nigeria (down 1)
Some Super Eagles watchers felt a reality check would be welcome and Nigeria received one in losing against Serbia. Excitement had been high after a win in Poland, even if that came from a dubious Victor Moses penalty, and the run that preceded it, but the jolt may prove instructive and Gernot Rohr will not be sounding the alarm. England at Wembley will be a useful barometer for his exciting young side on 2 June.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -114131814
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Egypt is Africa's best team! :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

jungle-jawara wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

Hmmmn... Aguero faint o...
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

kajifu wrote:How is Portugal higher than Nigeria?

How is Argentina lower than Nigeria?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Why spoil market nah? :lol:
I was already cussing out Nacho for losing control when Idowu arrived.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:The is a classic colonial trick. :scared: The Brits know how to destroy Africans, knowing that we like to be regarded and think big they’ll build us up only to tear us down and claim the spoils. I hope Rohr and the boys don’t believe this rubbish.If they get to the quarter finals they’ll be in the top 8.

I also think there are some advantages to it, for instance it can make your opponents to show you some level of respect and if you take advantage of that it can benefit you greatly. It depend on which angle you are looking at it.
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

metalalloy wrote:
kajifu wrote:How is Portugal higher than Nigeria?

How is Argentina lower than Nigeria?

Because they struggled to qualify for the world cup, thanks to Ecuador.
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!