Story on Tunji Banjo - Eagle from the 80s

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Story on Tunji Banjo - Eagle from the 80s

Post by oloye »

Sometimes when i listen or read some arguements i simply shake my head in amazement at the simplistic opinions being thrown into the airwaves abi na cyberspace. There are many successful ex-footballers who plied their trade and retired in Nigeria, just as there are those who fell by the way side. And in the UK damn it is even worse, they too have those who failed to make or get a hold of life after retirement. The likes of Gascoigne remain an example. At the end of the day it does not matter where you retired, if you dont make use of the opportunity presented you will fail in life.

The likes of Odegbami, Adokiye, CCC and host of other played and retired in Nigeria, and they are doing very well. There is a long list of former players doing their thing and surviving. There are many in Banjo's era who have died quietly in penury...it is not a case of here or there.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

cchinukw wrote:Utter rubbish Gotti! (and you be my man anyday :D )

A lot of diaspora Nigerians respond to calls to rebuild old schools, help relatives, are probably the countries only significant number of tourists bringing in much needed forex etc., etc.

Show us some respect! :twisted:
First, huh? :? Wtf has diaspora remittances/donations have to do with this topic? :blink:

As for “respect”, you babble as if you are doing somebody else a favor by sending money to your own relatives (or to the parents that gave you life and nurtured you). Even on the subject of donating to your Alma Mater (and btw, many diaspora Nigerians are the beneficiaries of highly-subsidized and even free education), are you aware that alumni are the primary and biggest source of funding for many US universities and colleges? Nonetheless, if the reason that you give something is so that everyone can see it and “respect” you and do a public dobale, it a very sad self-commentary. Respect, my ARSEnal!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Sir V,

Here is what I have and I don't believe there was a 9th game. If there was please let me know which one is missing:

7/12/80 Tunisia
12/6/80 Tanzania
12/20/80 Tanzania
4/12/81 Guinea
4/25/81 Guinea
10/30/81 Algeria
10/20/84 Liberia
7/20/85 Tunisia
\

Enugu II,
You noted the away WCQualifier v Algeria in Constantine (10/30/81)...what about the home tie on 10 October 1981 in Lagos..?
Didn't Chiedozie feature in that game?

You also noted the away tie of the WCQualifier v Tunisia (7/20/85)...What about the home tie..? Didn't he feature..?
He did not play in any of those. Note also that he missed preparatory games against Uganda and Liberia before that critical home game in 1981 where all the big stars were recalled. Line ups for all those games are available.
EII:

Are you sure he missed the home game vs Tunisia? Was that not the desperate "all hands on deck" second leg to overturn the 2-0 deficit, where Osigwe scored a great goal, before we went on to win on PKs (Odegbami limping with a bandaged thigh, Ogedegbe making 2 saves, and Ikhana missing)? To be fair, I watched the re-run on NTA, and don't remember seeing him play. My assumption is based on newspaper reports and clippings (maybe radio commentaries?). I somehow associated him and Chidozie with the turnaround vs the Tunisians.
That was not the home game of WCQ in 1985...that was WCQ in 1980 (Chiedozie's debut; he lasted 13 mins due to injury)
The WCQ 1985 home tie I referred to was the one that featured Emenalo (CB), Nwajiobi(FW), etc..John Fashanu was in camp but did not start...
Okey Isima (then a pro in Portugal) scored the only goal of the game in the 73rd minute...
Ok...thanks.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Sir V,

Here is what I have and I don't believe there was a 9th game. If there was please let me know which one is missing:

7/12/80 Tunisia
12/6/80 Tanzania
12/20/80 Tanzania
4/12/81 Guinea
4/25/81 Guinea
10/30/81 Algeria
10/20/84 Liberia
7/20/85 Tunisia
\

Enugu II,
You noted the away WCQualifier v Algeria in Constantine (10/30/81)...what about the home tie on 10 October 1981 in Lagos..?
Didn't Chiedozie feature in that game?

You also noted the away tie of the WCQualifier v Tunisia (7/20/85)...What about the home tie..? Didn't he feature..?
He did not play in any of those. Note also that he missed preparatory games against Uganda and Liberia before that critical home game in 1981 where all the big stars were recalled. Line ups for all those games are available.
EII:

Are you sure he missed the home game vs Tunisia? Was that not the desperate "all hands on deck" second leg to overturn the 2-0 deficit, where Osigwe scored a great goal, before we went on to win on PKs (Odegbami limping with a bandaged thigh, Ogedegbe making 2 saves, and Ikhana missing)? To be fair, I watched the re-run on NTA, and don't remember seeing him play. My assumption is based on newspaper reports and clippings (maybe radio commentaries?). I somehow associated him and Chidozie with the turnaround vs the Tunisians.
That was not the home game of WCQ in 1985...that was WCQ in 1980 (Chiedozie's debut; he lasted 13 mins due to injury)
The WCQ 1985 home tie I referred to was the one that featured Emenalo (CB), Nwajiobi(FW), etc..John Fashanu was in camp but did not start...
Okey Isima (then a pro in Portugal) scored the only goal of the game in the 73rd minute...
Ok...thanks.
Below are the two games that you are guys have brought up and he was not in any of those.

10/10/81 (h v Algeria)
Best Ogedegbe (1) – Sylvanus Okpala (2), Christian Chukwu (5) (46 Stephen Keshi (12)), Tunji Bamidele (6), Okey Isima (3) – Tunji Banjo (4), Andrew Atuegbu (8), Muda Lawal (10) – Según Odegbami (cpt - 7), Thompson Usiyen (9), Felix Owolabi (14) (46 Christian Nwokocha (11)).

This game was an "all hands on deck" game and featured recall of Usiyen, Andrew Atuegbu, Tunji Banjo, etc. Chiedozie was injured and did not make the trip to Nigeria. It was the game Where Odegbami claim of injured knee requiring surgery was contradicted by an independent doctor in Cardiff ( a Dr. David Jenkins). Other intrigues included Banjo demanding 6000 British pounds, reportedly, before playing against Algeria. There were plans to replace Odegbami as skipper because of the knee injury issue but that was later rescinded.
-----------------------
7/6/85 (h v Tunisia)
Peter Rufai – Bright Omokaro, Sunday Eboigbe, Mike Emenalo, Yisa Sofoluwe – Humphrey Edebor (69th Okey Isima), Sylvanus Okpala, Dahiru Sadi, Emeka Nwajiobi (31st Sunday Daniel) -- Richard Owubokiri, Rashidi Yekini.

Perhaps, Sir V can point to this additional game as it is't any of those that have pointed out yet.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

AreaDaddy wrote:Image

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rains.html
Some long-distance Liverpool fans travelling by train to Saturday's Merseyside derby will have had their tickets checked by a man who once played in an FA Cup semi-final.

Tunji Banjo still has a living to make with London Northwestern exactly 40 years after facing Arsenal in one of the biggest games in Leyton Orient's history.

It's hard to imagine Harry Kane or Eden Hazard spending their retirement shuttling between Milton Keynes and Crewe, but Banjo hasn't got that luxury. In any case, that's not one of the worst shifts.

'The earliest start is 5am in Northampton which means I leave home at three', he reveals. 'I've been a footballer so I know the difference between that and proper work!

'I wouldn't expect players from today's academies to understand but it's nothing new for me. I've been a bus driver, a dustman. I'd work summers at Orient, I did cleaning at Lord's cricket ground.'

Banjo was 18 and earning just £100-a-week when Second Division Orient beat Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Norwich to set up their semi with Arsenal on April 8, 1978.

The favourites won 3-0 in front of 49,000 at Stamford Bridge and it still hurts. 'Their first two goals were fluky, deflected shots by Malcolm Macdonald,' says Banjo.

He'd come on as a sub and is grateful there are pictures of him battling for the ball with Liam Brady because the match itself was a blur.

'We went back to Brisbane Road after and then I caught the tube home,' he says. 'I remember changing trains at Oxford Circus, thinking how crazy it was I'd played in an FA Cup semi-final two hours before.'

Banjo, a strong-running midfielder, was among a group of young, black players at Orient who helped change the face of football.

The most famous, Laurie Cunningham, left for West Brom in 1977 but John Chiedozie, Chris Hughton's younger brother Henry, Bobby Fisher and Kevin Godfrey remained.

'I had a bad experience at Bolton early on,' recalls Banjo. 'I was warming up to come on and got all this verbal abuse and bananas being hurled down.

'We were brought up tough in London so it didn't put me off but I'm sure those people looking back now must feel ashamed. It was just a way of life then. Sometimes you get angry about it but I don't feel it does you any good to hold any grudges.'

Black players supported each other. Banjo knew Cyrille Regis from London schools' football and was friendly with Cunningham, who later played for Real Madrid and Manchester United before his tragic death in a car crash in 1989.

'Laurie was never flash, always stayed down-to-earth. I bumped into him a few years after Orient. I walked into a bar in Muswell Hill and there he was! It was a lovely sunny day so we grabbed at a table outside and chatted about old times.

'Everyone knows about Laurie and Cryille and what they did but there were a lot of us who went through the same thing but were lesser-known. We were all trailblazers, definitely.'

Ironically, Cunningham's West Brom were the other beaten semi-finalists in 1978. 'I supported Ipswich against Arsenal in the final,' says Banjo. 'Not just because Arsenal had beaten us. I was also a Tottenham fan!'

At that time, Banjo was already a Nigerian international, eligible through his Dad. The trips to Africa were an eye-opener for the Londoner who found it a fascinating experience, but was startled to witness dead bodies in the street on one visit.

On the pitch, he came close to qualifying for the 1982 World Cup. Nigeria were beaten by Algeria in a play-off and they went on to defeat West Germany in the finals the following summer.

Banjo never became another Cunningham. He left Orient in 1983 to play in Cyprus where a bad ankle injury put paid to his dream of reaching the top. He drifted into non-league, retirement and a new life on the trains.

In 2004, he moved to Stoke-on-Trent to keep his son away from London gang culture and it remains his home town today.

On the trains, he occasionally sees famous football names like Paul Ince on board. He recognises them, but they haven't a clue who he is and he keeps quiet.

He is waiting to see if his next shift pattern puts him on earlies or lates but is devoid of jealousy or bitterness. 'I am still totally into football,' he says. 'I'm not one of those who thinks 'If only'. I had my time and that's how things were in those days.'

VB, you’re a picture of contentment! Thank you!
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
EII:

Ok...thanks.
Below are the two games that you are guys have brought up and he was not in any of those.

10/10/81 (h v Algeria)
Best Ogedegbe (1) – Sylvanus Okpala (2), Christian Chukwu (5) (46 Stephen Keshi (12)), Tunji Bamidele (6), Okey Isima (3) – Tunji Banjo (4), Andrew Atuegbu (8), Muda Lawal (10) – Según Odegbami (cpt - 7), Thompson Usiyen (9), Felix Owolabi (14) (46 Christian Nwokocha (11)).

This game was an "all hands on deck" game and featured recall of Usiyen, Andrew Atuegbu, Tunji Banjo, etc. Chiedozie was injured and did not make the trip to Nigeria. It was the game Where Odegbami claim of injured knee requiring surgery was contradicted by an independent doctor in Cardiff ( a Dr. David Jenkins). Other intrigues included Banjo demanding 6000 British pounds, reportedly, before playing against Algeria. There were plans to replace Odegbami as skipper because of the knee injury issue but that was later rescinded.
-----------------------
7/6/85 (h v Tunisia)
Peter Rufai – Bright Omokaro, Sunday Eboigbe, Mike Emenalo, Yisa Sofoluwe – Humphrey Edebor (69th Okey Isima), Sylvanus Okpala, Dahiru Sadi, Emeka Nwajiobi (31st Sunday Daniel) -- Richard Owubokiri, Rashidi Yekini.

Perhaps, Sir V can point to this additional game as it is't any of those that have pointed out yet.
Enugu II, thanks...the highlighted explains it all...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

A rather nice retrospective.......... I do see how it readily lends itself
to arguments that have raged here, year on year.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Kudos to the man for earning an honest living. Wonder if the likes of Emenalo could "hook him up" with soccer gigs (if he's interested and capable, of course).

CIC, Sir V, DaMunk et al should invite him to Mama Calabar :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: The guy might not even know that we remember him.

I remember ImehJunior relating how Ironbar Bassey was shocked to hear that folks knew and remembered him from his exploits for Naija.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Kudos to the man for earning an honest living. Wonder if the likes of Emenalo could "hook him up" with soccer gigs (if he's interested and capable, of course).

CIC, Sir V, DaMunk et al should invite him to Mama Calabar :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: The guy might not even know that we remember him.

I remember ImehJunior relating how Ironbar Bassey was shocked to hear that folks knew and remembered him from his exploits for Naija.
Chief,

You are quite right. Quite often these guys assume that no one cares and that they have been forgotten. It will be a nice gesture to invite the guy and have conversations with him. I am certain he will be excited and will not forgotten such gesture.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Very Interesting...
I actually had a phone conversation with him while researching my book... he was a Bus driver at the time.
I remember he spoke fondly about his time with the Eagles... was a great (though sometimes eye opening) experience for him. We promised to meet up for a drink sometime but never got round to it.
YNWA
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Just to be clear, a UK train driver's wages and working conditions are not to be sniffed at.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Kudos to the man for earning an honest living. Wonder if the likes of Emenalo could "hook him up" with soccer gigs (if he's interested and capable, of course).

You know it is not everyone who wants to continue with the stressful life of football. People often think that just because you are no longer in the game it is because you could not stay in. I dont know about Tunji, but trust me some of us walked away from it all of our own free will.

As much as i miss the gig, the fact remains i hate the stress that surrounds the game, it is all glamour on the surface but when you are deep in it, you have to be made of certain stuff to enjoy the whole stress and hassles. If you are a sensitive person, the earlier you can walk away from it the better.

The day i walked away...i gave away all my kits, everything i had to do with the game i gave it away to make sure i never come back. For two years i stayed away from the game and everyone in the game that i knew. My team back then offered to send me to NIS for a coaching course, the coaches persuaded me to do it...I refused because i was done with the wahala that being in the game piles on you. Simply put that lifestyle was not for me anymore.

Look at the face of that man, he is contented and happy with what he is doing, looks like all that matters to him is his family!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

FATHER TIKO wrote: That was not the home game of WCQ in 1985...that was WCQ in 1980 (Chiedozie's debut; he lasted 13 mins due to injury)
I cant recall Chiedozie playing more than those 8 already listed. All WCQs
No friendly game no AFCON qualifier
In his debut, he played and dazzled the entire first half before the injury
Owolabi replaced him in the beginning of the second half

leyton Orient came to tour Nigeria playing the big teams then
He dazzled Insurance
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:You know it is not everyone who wants to continue with the stressful life of football. People often think that just because you are no longer in the game it is because you could not stay in. I dont know about Tunji, but trust me some of us walked away from it all of our own free will.

As much as i miss the gig, the fact remains i hate the stress that surrounds the game, it is all glamour on the surface but when you are deep in it, you have to be made of certain stuff to enjoy the whole stress and hassles. If you are a sensitive person, the earlier you can walk away from it the better.

The day i walked away...i gave away all my kits, everything i had to do with the game i gave it away to make sure i never come back. For two years i stayed away from the game and everyone in the game that i knew. My team back then offered to send me to NIS for a coaching course, the coaches persuaded me to do it...I refused because i was done with the wahala that being in the game piles on you. Simply put that lifestyle was not for me anymore.

Look at the face of that man, he is contented and happy with what he is doing, looks like all that matters to him is his family!
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

If he was "driving" a plane, he would be called a Pilot/Big Oga.
Maybe the guy is contented doing what he does,
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:
oloye wrote:You know it is not everyone who wants to continue with the stressful life of football. People often think that just because you are no longer in the game it is because you could not stay in. I dont know about Tunji, but trust me some of us walked away from it all of our own free will.

Also agree. However, would be nice for the UK guys to invite him to Mama Calabar...just to show that many Nigerians remember our past players and appreciate them.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Also agree. However, would be nice for the UK guys to invite him to Mama Calabar...just to show that many Nigerians remember our past players and appreciate them.
Agree also.

BUT to show that we are not 'partial', we need to invite our 'Hey Yous' ex internationals also :)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Gotti wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:For every Segun Odegbami there are hundreds of former ballers that are dead broke or dead with no skills or safety net to fall back on. He is better off driving train in London that driving for Lastma in Lagos.
And you think there are no former ballers "dead broke or dead" in the UK?! :blink:

Football proffers an OPPORTUNITY, not a guarantee of a life of luxury. Many Nigerian footballers have used it as an opportunity for education or a decent trade and profession. Nonetheless, that is besides the bigger point. If you want Nigeria to be as viable as the UK, roll up your damn sleeves, rather than sitting on the sidelines and point fingers, babbling incoherently. It's YOUR country too!
We have one example here on CE. Oloye did not play in Europe and was not paid thousands of pounds a week but I'm sure the exposure he got from football has helped him to make a decent career in Ireland.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Good idea!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Did he have anything to do with Nigeria after he played for us? Was in in contact with his ex team mates
Oya back to the matter
open and close
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

cchinukw wrote:Just to be clear, a UK train driver's wages and working conditions are not to be sniffed at.
Banjo is not a train driver. I think he is a guard/ticket inspector. Train drivers don't inspect tickets. Train guard money is not as good as train drivers. I think London Underground train drivers earn more than others on the over-ground and intercity (nearly £60k a year). Possibly to do with the strength of their union and the fact LU is not privatised.

On footballers and poverty. It happens everywhere, but I think the Naija ratio is higher. I have said this b/4, Naija footballers should form a union like the PFA in England. The PFA helps set up pension schemes that you can start cashing in from around 35. A lot of Naija players are reliant on charity when they retire - esp those from the era b/4 football became megabucks. The likes of CCC and Odegbami are exceptions b/c they had careers after their playing days. If you see the ex-Rangers players that live abroad and those that live in Nigeria, the difference is like night and day.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

cic old boy wrote:
cchinukw wrote:Just to be clear, a UK train driver's wages and working conditions are not to be sniffed at.
Banjo is not a train driver. I think he is a guard/ticket inspector. Train drivers don't inspect tickets. Train guard money is not as good as train drivers. I think London Underground train drivers earn more than others on the over-ground and intercity (nearly £60k a year). Possibly to do with the strength of their union and the fact LU is not privatised.

On footballers and poverty. It happens everywhere, but I think the Naija ratio is higher. I have said this b/4, Naija footballers should form a union like the PFA in England. The PFA helps set up pension schemes that you can start cashing in from around 35. A lot of Naija players are reliant on charity when they retire - esp those from the era b/4 football became megabucks. The likes of CCC and Odegbami are exceptions b/c they had careers after their playing days. If you see the ex-Rangers players that live abroad and those that live in Nigeria, the difference is like night and day.
The naija ratio is higher for the same reason why many who went to school and have degrees end up without jobs. The argument could even be switched around to say that with all the opportunities available Tunji could have fared better, but like i said, what matters in the life of a man is contentment...the rest is irrelevant.