WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Post by john12 »

Idk what you’re drinking but This present team totally destroyed Zambia, Algeria and Cameroon all previous nations cup champions and previous World Cup team without ease. They did it with grace, elegance and Love so to think that None is good as 1994 team is totally absurd.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

platinum wrote:Mikel and Ndidi. Tempted to say Victor Moses but he can't hold a candle to Finidi and wouldn't have replaced Amokachi or Amunike.
Maybe Leon Balogun or Ekong as well in defense. Uche Okechukwu was a warrior but Nwanu could probably have been upgraded. Also Eguavoen wasn't the best so maybe Victor Moses at RB?

Thank you...people have actually forgotten how good Amunike was...folks are casually saying Moses would displace him.

One other thing about that team...in addition to being "professional" about their duties, they all had great ball skills...the entire front line and midfield had the skills to take on and beat opponents, in addition to crisp passing and space awareness skills.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

john12 wrote:Idk what you’re drinking but This present team totally destroyed Zambia, Algeria and Cameroon all previous nations cup champions and previous World Cup team without ease. They did it with grace, elegance and Love so to think that None is good as 1994 team is totally absurd.

you're prob the one drinking agent juice...you were too young to have clients back then, so you portray them as not as good as your agency's current clients
AFCON 2019 sweet o

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
platinum wrote:Mikel and Ndidi. Tempted to say Victor Moses but he can't hold a candle to Finidi and wouldn't have replaced Amokachi or Amunike.
Maybe Leon Balogun or Ekong as well in defense. Uche Okechukwu was a warrior but Nwanu could probably have been upgraded. Also Eguavoen wasn't the best so maybe Victor Moses at RB?

Thank you...people have actually forgotten how good Amunike was...folks are casually saying Moses would displace him.

One other thing about that team...in addition to being "professional" about their duties, they all had great ball skills...the entire front line and midfield had the skills to take on and beat opponents, in addition to crisp passing and space awareness skills.
Amunike who played for Sporting Lisbon as a regular when they were still worth something and is one of the few Nigerians who have played for FC Barcelona. If not for injury, who knows what more he could have been.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Amunike in 1994 compared to Victor Moses a premier league, Uefa Cup, Fa Cup, ANC winner and double digit scorer for Nigeria in 2018 keep drinking Zobo. It’s not even close, Moses wins
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enyeama, Mikel and Moses are the only players that'll definitely make the squad stressed of our third goalie (I forget his name but the Algiers 90/Senegal 92 goalie who Oloye recently took a pic with), Victor Ikpeba/Ekoku and maybe Oliha. I'd have to see a bit more of Ebuehi, Shehu, Ola Aina and Idowu before making a decision on them. Not cos they're very good but because our full backs were the wreak spot of the 94 team. Eguavoen and Emenalo were substandard. If it's Iroha then he gets the nod but not Emenalo.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

oloye wrote:
Obong wrote:I recently had a friendly argument with one of my good friends, an ardent Super Eagles fan. When we were discussing the abiding influence of the 1994 Super Eagles set, we ended up making the inevitable comparison with the current team. Since the bulk of the famous 1996 Olympic team emerged from the 1994 World Cup team, there is no denying their legendary status in Nigerian football. They are deservedly the gold standard despite only achieving the second round (literally few minutes away from eliminating Italy). So, which of our current players would make the squad of 23, if the current set were available for selection in 1994? In my opinion, only Victor Moses and Captain Mikel (add Enyeama, if he were to be on the team) would make the 1994 team. Even then, they would be hard-pressed to start ahead of more complete or talented starters. For illustration, let me note the presumed starters for each team. My selection for starter for each position will appear in bold. So, who of the 2018 Rohr-led Super Eagles would crash the Westerhof team of 1994?

1994 - 2018

Rufai - Uzoho

Eguavoen - Abdullahi
Iroha (Emenalo) - Idowu
Nwanu - Ekong
Okechukwu - Balogun

Oliseh - Onazi
Okocha - Ndidi
Amokachi - Mikel

Finidi - Moses
[b]Yekini - Ighalo [/b]
Amuneke - Iwobi (Simon)
Na this one dem dey call sacrilege....biko there are some comparisons you need not bother with before the gods of the lans vex with. Abeg my man remove some of the obvious ones and leave the rest. Comparing Ighalo to Yekini is comparing Lada to BMW.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

theYemster wrote:Enyeama, Mikel and Moses are the only players that'll definitely make the squad stressed of our third goalie (I forget his name but the Algiers 90/Senegal 92 goalie who Oloye recently took a pic with), Victor Ikpeba/Ekoku and maybe Oliha. I'd have to see a bit more of Ebuehi, Shehu, Ola Aina and Idowu before making a decision on them. Not cos they're very good but because our full backs were the wreak spot of the 94 team. Eguavoen and Emenalo were substandard. If it's Iroha then he gets the nod but not Emenalo.
Alloy Agu
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

oscar52 wrote:Yall don't even understand how low Naija footy have fallen lately. MAYBE Iwobi, Moses and Mikel can make the team but not as starters. No one on this current team have the ability of Adepoju not to mention Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh, Yekini, Siasia, Amokachi, and Rafai. Players like Amunike, Ikpeba, Nwanu, Ezeugo, Ekoku, and Okafor can be upgraded but not from the current bunch. Etebo, Musa, and Joel won't even make the preliminary list. Back then players learn the fundamentals and can do the basics right, Musa can't even cross the ball, Ndidi not comfortable with ball at his feet, Iheanacho can't run for 45min, Simon a non factor when game a little physical and they are all close to being starters. They might do well in Russia but 80% of the current set don't appear to be world standard and a good 80% of the 94 set were.
KPOM!!! :clap:
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Mikel Obi
Victor Moses
Wilfred Ndidi

Everybody else are so so
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
tunde72
Egg
Egg

Post by tunde72 »

oloye wrote:
Obong wrote:I recently had a friendly argument with one of my good friends, an ardent Super Eagles fan. When we were discussing the abiding influence of the 1994 Super Eagles set, we ended up making the inevitable comparison with the current team. Since the bulk of the famous 1996 Olympic team emerged from the 1994 World Cup team, there is no denying their legendary status in Nigerian football. They are deservedly the gold standard despite only achieving the second round (literally few minutes away from eliminating Italy). So, which of our current players would make the squad of 23, if the current set were available for selection in 1994? In my opinion, only Victor Moses and Captain Mikel (add Enyeama, if he were to be on the team) would make the 1994 team. Even then, they would be hard-pressed to start ahead of more complete or talented starters. For illustration, let me note the presumed starters for each team. My selection for starter for each position will appear in bold. So, who of the 2018 Rohr-led Super Eagles would crash the Westerhof team of 1994?

1994 - 2018

Rufai - Uzoho

Eguavoen - Abdullahi
Iroha (Emenalo) - Idowu
Nwanu - Ekong
Okechukwu - Balogun

Oliseh - Onazi
Okocha - Ndidi
Amokachi - Mikel

Finidi - Moses
[b]Yekini - Ighalo [/b]
Amuneke - Iwobi (Simon)
Na this one dem dey call sacrilege....biko there are some comparisons you need not bother with before the gods of the lans vex with. Abeg my man remove some of the obvious ones and leave the rest. Comparing Ighalo to Yekini is comparing Lada to BMW.

:D :lol: :laugh: :laugh:
YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE ON YOUR KNEE THAN SPEAKING.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Did someone here even contemplate comparing Balogun & Uche Okechukwu..? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Which kind small pikins fill this CE, sef?

They never witnessed that 1994 squad..?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Did someone here even contemplate comparing Balogun & Uche Okechukwu..? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Apparently, all you have to do is rely on statistics. Also the 94 team only one 1 nations cup they must not have been that great. :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Did someone here even contemplate comparing Balogun & Uche Okechukwu..? :shock: :shock: :shock:

So you do not know that primary school children are on this forum, and they can type on the keyboard.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I go wait until after the WC to compare the two teams.

Wha choo looking at?!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

One player for sure... Mikel Obi. He played on the same team with Kanu and TMWMP in AFCON 2006 (12 years after the 94 games).

He would have fitted in... IMO the only player on this team that actually has the maturity and sense to play with that 94 squad.

VicMo, would make the team but not as a starter...but as a midfielder.
Shehu would make the team as a RB... we really didn't have a quality RB.
Ndidi will make the squad... but not as a starter. He is today better than Ezeugo, Ekoku, and Oliha.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If I did a first 11, plus squad of 23:

Rufai
Eguavoen-Uche-Ekong-Iroha
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

Other squad members: Agbonevbare, Uzoho, Ebuehi. Keshi, Nwanu, Idowu, Ndidi, Adepoju, Moses, Amokachi, Siasia.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

wiseone wrote:If I did a first 11, plus squad of 23:

Rufai
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

Other squad members: Agbonevbare, Uzoho, Ebuehi. Keshi, Nwanu, Idowu, Ndidi, Adepoju, Moses, Amokachi, Siasia.
Based on your formation, I will take Mutiu instead of Mikel. If playing 4-4-2, I will play Amo or Siasia instead of Mikel.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

It's 2018 folks, move on from the nostalgia of '94 already as time changes with its dynamics... of course we all have that reminiscing moment about the 94 boys, but I believe this crop of players in due time will go on to do greater things, let's motivate these boys and stop the baseless comparisons already... Gosh.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Rufai
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

A healthy Amo can't be on the bench if Mikel and Okocha are starting.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Do you think playing with only one DM is a little too bold? (AKA Denmark 1998: 1-4 annihilation)

eyan wrote:

Rufai
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

Based on your formation, I will take Mutiu instead of Mikel. If playing 4-4-2, I will play Amo or Siasia instead of Mikel.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Who would you drop to play Amokachi? Do you think playing with 5 attackers in the starting 11 is a bit reckless (including Okocha who roams all over the place leaving defensive gaps behind him).
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Rufai
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

A healthy Amo can't be on the bench if Mikel and Okocha are starting.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

wiseone wrote:Do you think playing with only one DM is a little too bold? (AKA Denmark 1998: 1-4 annihilation)

eyan wrote:

Rufai
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

If playing 2 dm, i choose mutiu ahead of mikel cos of mutiu's attacking threat. And nothing wrong playing with 1 dm. We did that sk many times in 90s. Abi u be mikel agent?