WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Post by Sir V »

My question is can this current team beat the 94 team?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Its a bit early to make comparisons

Sure we all have hindsight now, but around this period on the build up to 1994, we didnt know how good the 94 team was , and same goes for this bunch, we dont know how the team will stack up against Croatia (reading like Bulgaria) and Iceland (reading like Greece, first timer at the time too) and of course our brothers in Arms, Argentina who needs no introduction
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

We’ve had some pretty eye-catching players over the years like Okocha and Kanu butmikel may be the best ever :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

We have been blessed with some pretty eye-catching players in the past, like Okocha and Kanu but Mikel could be our best ever❗️

Cheers.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wiseone wrote:Who would you drop to play Amokachi? Do you think playing with 5 attackers in the starting 11 is a bit reckless (including Okocha who roams all over the place leaving defensive gaps behind him).
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
wiseone wrote:If I did a first 11, plus squad of 23:

Rufai
Eguavoen-Uche-Ekong-Iroha
Oliseh-Mikel
Okocha
George-Yekini-Amunike

Other squad members: Agbonevbare, Uzoho, Ebuehi. Keshi, Nwanu, Idowu, Ndidi, Adepoju, Moses, Amokachi, Siasia.

A healthy Amo can't be on the bench if Mikel and Okocha are starting.
I would drop Okocha for Amo. Finidi is disciplined enough to drop back to help the DM. Ditto, Amo and his work rate. I would bring in Okocha after we're already comfortably ahead...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

With all due respects to a lot of my paddies and friends on the 1994 team. It took a while to build that team. Almost ten years and four years respectively. The ten year guys were Yekini, Emenalo, Nwanu, Keshi, Rufai while the two to four year guys were Amunike, Adepoju, Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike.

I really liked this team.

lets talk about the downfall. They were not exactly harmonious. Two many cliques and factions. Secondly, the rumor about freezing out Rashidi is no rumor. It happened. After the Bulgaria game, the Eagles managed to score four goals in their remaining three games. That is a very low average if you ask me. They also conceded four goals in that time frame. I doubt the current team will be that poor, statistically speaking.

This 2018 team does not need to have a comparison. It does not have too. It also lacks some have some measurable intangibles and has a lot of work to do. What it does have is better unity, better fitness, better coaching and a much better bench. They PLAY FOR EACH OTHER.

Let us all not forget that when Amunike, Amokachie went down, the coach did not see it fit to bring in Ekoku or Ikpeba. If we were so deep why did they not play our best substitutes.

The 1994 team had two advantages. They were the beneficiaries of naive white people and therefore under rated and secondly, they played a transition game. Watch Oliseh's interview on FIFA TV to fully grasp that. Once the cat was let out of the bag, Italy knew just what to do to neutralize them.

Despite the so called and revered work of goals-father, one goal in four games when it mattered is nothing to write home about. We created a lot of chances but as I always tell my kids, you'll play the way you practice. Our finishing was piss poor. Watch the Greece game. The 2018 team may not create many chances, may not have ten dribblers. What I can assure you is a few things.
Tactically, they are superior. Depth wise, they are superior, Conversion wise, they are superior. Ambition wise, they are superior.

Some things in life are not mathematical. Two plus two in this case may give you twenty and not four.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

nzeogwu wrote:With all due respects to a lot of my paddies and friends on the 1994 team. It took a while to build that team. Almost ten years and four years respectively. The ten year guys were Yekini, Emenalo, Nwanu, Keshi, Rufai while the two to four year guys were Amunike, Adepoju, Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike.

lets talk about the downfall. They were not exactly harmonious. Two many cliques and factions. Secondly, the rumor about freezing out Rashidi is no rumor. It happened. After the Bulgaria game, the Eagles managed to score four goals in their remaining three games. That is a very low average if you ask me. They also conceded four goals in that time frame. I doubt the current team will be that poor, statistically speaking.

This 2018 team does not need to have a comparison. It does not have too. It also lacks some have some measurable intangibles and has a lot of work to do. What it does have is better unity, better fitness, better coaching and a much better bench. They PLAY FOR EACH OTHER.

Let us all not forget that when Amunike, Amokachie went down, the coach did not see it fit to bring in Ekoku or Ikpeba. If we were so deep why did they not play our best substitutes.

The 1994 team had two advantages. They were the beneficiaries of naive white people and therefore under rated and secondly, they played a transition game. Watch Oliseh's interview on FIFA TV to fully grasp that. Once the cat was let out of the bag, Italy knew just what to do to neutralize them.

Despite the so called and revered work of goals-father, one goal in four games when it mattered is nothing to write home about. We created a lot of chances but as I always tell my kids, you'll play the way you practice. Our finishing was piss poor. Watch the Greece game. The 2018 team may not create many chances, may not have ten dribblers. What I can assure you is a few things.
Tactically, they are superior. Depth wise, they are superior, Conversion wise, they are superior. Ambition wise, they are superior.

Some things in life are not mathematical. Two plus two in this case may give you twenty and not four.
You go school. Good observations. I’m giving you 89% for this work.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

nzeogwu wrote:With all due respects to a lot of my paddies and friends on the 1994 team. It took a while to build that team. Almost ten years and four years respectively. The ten year guys were Yekini, Emenalo, Nwanu, Keshi, Rufai while the two to four year guys were Amunike, Adepoju, Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike.

At least 94 created chances. Let this set create the chance first. You gonna blame Rashidi on the maldini hacking? Maldini shd have seen red. This is team is not superior anything. Weak link of 94 set is ogun efon cerezo. Else they wld have created more chances, waste more chances and wld still dance their way to final.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

For those of you that follow basketball, when Los Angeles Lakers would play the Celtics in the 80's, Boston played a disciplined half court game with a high pick and roll. Parish to McHale. The Lakers had showtime. An undisciplined approach to the game. Jams, fast breaks and transition basketball. Or was it??

The Eagles today play counter attacking transition football. You don't need a center forward in such a set up, you need an arrowhead that can lay if the final ball. It's the soccer version of fast breaks and explosive counter attacking football. Just because no European team can play like that with the exception of France which is an African team in Blue, does not mean that this style of play is not modern or effective. For once, maybe England, Belgium, France and even Germany (the other Afticanteams at the World Cup) will be saying to their coaches "Why can't we play like Nigeria?"

When Naija qualified in 94, Yekini accounted for over 70% of the goals. In fact, you will recall that in the ANC, Amokachie scored zero goals. This team is more balanced. Iheanacho, Iwobi, Simon, Moses, Mikel all scored multiple goals. (Including the Swaziland game).

Experience is the best teacher. Don't be a victim to what you have seen. The white man will say transitional play lacks discipline. Well, I've got news for you. Modern game or no modern game, if you can defend well and create a few chances, you will score and win. Possession is not our style.

We need to create chances on the break, press high, force turnovers and play to our strengths. Regardless of what you believe that you have seen about Naija or how many times you have been disappointed, you are in for a surprise this year. You're not the only one.

Wakanda lives!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Someone give dat man a beer! :clap:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:

You have decided to follow the man miss road. The paragraph about naive white people na serious opaks. Italy neutralized us, so the team must not have been that good? Ok o. Continue, you hear me?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You have decided to follow the man miss road.The paragraph about naive white people na serious opaks. Italy neutralized us, so the team must not have been that good? Ok o. Continue, you hear me?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Abegi lef them. That’s how folks fail exam...
They ask about individual players, some folks start to compare TEAMS (and even coaching). SMH

PS: BTW, Westerhoff probably elected not to replace injured Amokachi and Amunike with Ikpeba and Ekoku against Italy in 1994 because the SE were defending a lead, NOT chasing goals. It’s called situational substitution folks!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You have decided to follow the man miss road.The paragraph about naive white people na serious opaks. Italy neutralized us, so the team must not have been that good? Ok o. Continue, you hear me?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Abegi lef them. That’s how folks fail exam...
They ask about individual players, some folks start to compare TEAMS (and even coaching). SMH

PS: BTW, Westerhoff probably elected not to replace injured Amokachi and Amunike with Ikpeba and Ekoku against Italy in 1994 because the SE were defending a lead, NOT chasing goals. It’s called situational substitution folks!
Looks like White folks never overcame their naiveté when Naija came back to the US 2 yrs later to win Olympic gold, nor when Naija beat Bulgaria (AGAIN!) and Spain in 1998, but lost to the only non-naive Oyibos called Denmark!

PS* Wasn't Ekoku a backup for Yekini? Why would he come on for Amokachi or Amunike, especially give the circumstances AND the system we were playing, unless we were playing against our own children?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

To be clear, oyinbo naivete expired after the Bulgaria game. Denmark, Italy and Argentina did their homework.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

nzeogwu wrote:To be clear, oyinbo naivete expired after the Bulgaria game. Denmark, Italy and Argentina did their homework.

so Oyinbo temporarily regained naiveté when we beat Mexico, Brazil and Argentina in 96 to win the Olympic gold? Oh, silly me, those ones no be oyinbos :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: But wait, you mention Argentina '94, so they are oyinbo.

So in '98, did Spain and Bulgaria temporarily regain naiveté?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Sir V wrote:My question is can this current team beat the 94 team?
Yes. But what does that prove?

https://www.11v11.com/teams/nigeria/tab ... ason/1994/

1993-94 season
Date Match Result Score Competition
03 Jul 1993 Nigeria v Algeria W 4-1 FIFA World Cup
17 Jul 1993 Uganda v Nigeria D 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
24 Jul 1993 Nigeria v Ethiopia W 6-0 Africa Cup of Nations
25 Sep 1993 Nigeria v Ivory Coast W 4-1 FIFA World Cup
08 Oct 1993 Algeria v Nigeria D 1-1 FIFA World Cup
11 Jan 1994 Thailand v Nigeria D 0-0 International Friendly
09 Mar 1994 Nigeria v Ghana D 0-0 International Friendly
26 Mar 1994 Nigeria v Gabon W 3-0 Africa Cup of Nations
30 Mar 1994 Egypt v Nigeria D 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
02 Apr 1994 Nigeria v Zaire W 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations
06 Apr 1994 Nigeria v Ivory Coast W 2-2 (4-2) Africa Cup of Nations
10 Apr 1994 Nigeria v Zambia W 2-1 Africa Cup of Nations
17 Apr 1994 Colombia v Nigeria L 1-0 International Friendly
05 May 1994 Sweden v Nigeria L 3-1 International Friendly
25 May 1994 Romania v Nigeria L 2-0 International Friendly

11 Jun 1994 Nigeria v Georgia W 5-1 International Friendly
21 Jun 1994 Nigeria v Bulgaria W 3-0 FIFA World Cup
25 Jun 1994 Argentina v Nigeria L 2-1 FIFA World Cup
30 Jun 1994 Greece v Nigeria W 0-2 FIFA World Cup
05 Jul 1994 Nigeria v Italy L 1-2 FIFA World Cup

https://www.11v11.com/teams/nigeria/tab ... ason/1995/

1994-95 season
Date Match Result Score Competition
16 Nov 1994 England v Nigeria L 1-0 International Friendly
06 Jan 1995 Nigeria v Japan W 3-0 FIFA Confederations Cup
10 Jan 1995 Nigeria v Argentina D 0-0 FIFA Confederations Cup
13 Jan 1995 Mexico v Nigeria L 1-1 (5-4) FIFA Confederations Cup
11 Jun 1995 USA v Nigeria L 3-2 US Cup
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

1994 team lost virtually to all teams except Georgia prior to 1994 World Cup and also lost 2 games at the World Cup itself but people really think no one in this present eagles would make that a team. Haha bunch of jokers
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

john12 wrote:1994 team lost virtually to all teams except Georgia prior to 1994 World Cup and also lost 2 games at the World Cup itself but people really think no one in this present eagles would make that a team. Haha bunch of jokers
The 1996 Olympic Gold Medal team LOST its only pre-tournament friendly 1-3 at home to Togo...
Meanwhile, the 2002 WC team (tied for worst Nigerian WC showing) went UNDEFEATED in friendlies.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

folem wrote:11 Jun 1995 USA v Nigeria L 3-2 US Cup
This match was definitely NOT prosecuted by the 1994 WC squad...

Nigeria: Peter Rufai, Benedict Iroha, Bawa Abdullahi, Chidi Nwanu, Godwin Okpara, Austin Okocha, John Zaki (Chukwu Ndukwe 55'), Ajibade Babalade (Uchenna Okafor 66'), Edema Fuludu (Taiwo Enegwa 55'), Samson Siasia, Taiwo Wasui
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Rufai did not keep It was Shorunmu at the US Cup.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Got to, they also lost 2 games at the World Cup like the 1998 and our 2014 team no biggie.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

nzeogwu wrote:Rufai did not keep It was Shorunmu at the US Cup.
Rufai kept in the first two games I think...I know he definitely was the keeper when he let in a howler against the US in the first game
In the second game against Colombia, I think he kept for the first 45 minutes then Shorunmu took over for the rest of the match and indeed the Mexican game
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Gotti wrote:
folem wrote:11 Jun 1995 USA v Nigeria L 3-2 US Cup
This match was definitely NOT prosecuted by the 1994 WC squad...

Nigeria: Peter Rufai, Benedict Iroha, Bawa Abdullahi, Chidi Nwanu, Godwin Okpara, Austin Okocha, John Zaki (Chukwu Ndukwe 55'), Ajibade Babalade (Uchenna Okafor 66'),Edema Fuludu (Taiwo Enegwa 55'), Samson Siasia, Taiwo Wasui
7 played for SE in 1994 CAN or WC.