Morocco Bid 2026 Faces Challenges: Anti-LGBT & facilities

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Morocco Bid 2026 Faces Challenges: Anti-LGBT & facilities

Post by Enugu II »

Homosexuality Is Illegal In Morocco; Will That Keep FIFA From Holding A World Cup There?

http://the18.com/soccer-news/2026-world ... uality-ban
TRAVIS YOESTING APRIL 16, 2018

AFTER TOUTING ITS LACK OF GUNS AND GUN VIOLENCE, MOROCCO IS NOW UNDER FIRE FOR ITS ANTI-HOMOSEXUALITY LAWS. BUT CAN WE REALLY EXPECT FIFA TO CARE ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS?

Despite a decade of evidence to the contrary, FIFA has been trying to show it has some shred of human decency recently by stating that human rights are an aspect that must be considered when voting for the 2026 World Cup bid. According to a recent Associated Press report, Morocco has been trying to hide one of its human rights violations from FIFA — and it could cost them the World Cup.

Last month, Morocco touted its gun control as a major reason to choose the North African nation over a joint bid from the U.S., Mexico and Canada to host the 2026 World Cup. But while lack of gun violence favors Morocco, the nation outright outlaws homosexuality. FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura has said the 2026 World Cup host must promise an event free of “discrimination based on sexual orientation.”

If the law isn’t changed, this could all but rule Morocco ineligible to host the World Cup given FIFA’s recent change of heart on human rights — but plenty of countries will probably vote for them anyway.

The Associated Press recently reviewed the 483-page document Morocco submitted to FIFA for its 2026 World Cup bid. Homosexuality is a crime in Morocco, punishable by six months to three years in prison. But, as the AP put it: “Morocco failed to declare its anti-LGBT law as a risk factor and provide a remedy, appearing to flout stringent new bidding requirements.”

In contrast, the joint North American bid references “LGBTQI+” 20 times, with eight additional references to "sexual orientation" in a 90-page document outlining human rights strategy for its 2026 World Cup bid.

The question is whether or not anyone cares. In particular, do any of the 200-plus voting nations care?

Morocco’s 2026 World Cup bid doesn’t mention that homosexuality can be punished by three years in jail.
In 2010, a small executive committee voted on the hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Back then the candidates were not required to commission an independent human rights report as those bidding for the 2026 World Cup were required to do. This helped pave the way for Russia and Qatar to surprise the world by being named hosts despite scores of human rights violations, which have hardly been addressed since.

Of course, bribes likely played a large role in those decisions. This time around, every FIFA nation currently in good standing will have a vote. And because FIFA told its constituents they can’t accept bribes, I’m sure we don’t have to worry about that.

But with or without bribes, you have to wonder if the voters for the 2026 World Cup bid care about human rights — obviously no one at FIFA cared enough in 2010 when awarding the World Cup to Russia and Qatar. A number of countries have already said they’ll be voting for Morocco, including France, Algeria and South Africa.

Do those voting care enough about protecting the rights of the LGBT community? Or do they care more about making a statement either for Morocco or against the U.S.?

If we had to make a guess, we’re pretty sure individual executives for member nations will be more concerned about the latter, with little regard given to Morocco’s human rights record. After all, if they gave any shits about the LGBT community they would take the World Cups away from Russia and Qatar.

Russia has a long history of discriminating against homosexuals. Just this past weekend, a Russian second-division match was interrupted by someone throwing a rooster on the pitch as fans chanted gay slurs at a coach. Qatar may be even worse: The Middle Eastern nation discriminates against women, homosexuals and anyone who has sex outside of marriage, the latter of which can actually be punishable by death.

So I suppose the point of all this is to say: Morocco can’t promise to protect the rights of all individuals at a World Cup it would host, but that probably won’t stop anyone from voting for them in their 2026 World Cup bid because this world sucks.

But on the other hand, at least Morocco doesn’t try to institute travel bans based on religion like one of the countries in the bid competing against it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Morocco Bid 2026 Faces Challenges: Anti-LGBT & facilitie

Post by ohenhen1 »

Btw it is also illegal in Russia.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

ohenhen1 wrote:Btw it is also illegal in Russia.
and Qatar does not exactly embrace LGBT

these people will find any way possible to screw Morocco

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Welcome to the world of politics.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Dirty 4eckng white cvnts. They can shove their wc up their poompoom.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:Btw it is also illegal in Russia.
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
FIFA is a non-political organization, they better not use such in making their decision about Morocco's bid
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:Welcome to the world of politics.
... yeah because Africa is NOT united and will - probably - never do. In every organization, we know there will always be a saboteur
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Fifa changed the statues to protect the LGB community in 2018.. Russia and Qatar won the rights when the LGB rights was not in FIFA statues.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Purity wrote:Fifa changed the statues to protect the LGB community in 2018.. Russia and Qatar won the rights when the LGB rights was not in FIFA statues.

Please post the statutes.

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

They keep shoving this shyt down people's throat....
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

USA go win the bid
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Clever.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I wouldn't be surprised if Morocco wins as a WC there would essentially be a European WC due to proximity and timezone. The Europeans run FIFA and I expect them to do what they can to have it there under the guise of giving a new country the chance to host it.

I'm not happy with the North American bid although it would be convenient for me and I live in Canada. You can't have a WC in 3 countries which happen to be 3 of the biggest countries in the world. It will not have the same ambience of a WC in 1 host country and following your country around will be a b*tch.

FIFA shouldn't allow more than 1 country to host a WC. I won't be upset if Morocco wins it as it would be fairly convenient to attend.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Typical American shady tactics.

If I have a vote. It will go to Morocco.

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

But I still do not support Morocco.

Morocco voted against South Africa on their soccer world cup bid, they also voted against South Africa on their rugby world cup bid, they refused to host an African cup of Nations but hosted FIFA club world cup the same year because of Ebola.

Cry me a river with this African unity crap. Morocco once applied to join the E.U.

Hope North America wins...It will nice to visit Canada and Mexico.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

US banned several countries because of religion.

US president is a racist that called African countries $#% hole countries.

The cost of traveling will be too much to travel between Canada, US and Mexico for games.

Not sure Nigerians will be able to get a visa to travel to the US to watch games.

Most Americans don't even like football.

My vote is firmly with Morocco.

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

ohenhen1 wrote:US banned several countries because of religion.

The cost of traveling will be too much to travel between Canada, US and Mexico for games.

Not sure Nigerians will be able to get a visa to travel to the US to watch games.

I rather do that travelling than support a fake so called African country European wannabe.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:US banned several countries because of religion.

I rather do that travelling than support a fake so called African country European wannabe.
So you will rather support a racist and his racist policies towards Africa.

Morocco made a mistake, and they are now making amends. Nigeria has done worse. Refusing to host an Afcon over Ebola fears and wanting to join the EU is nothing, compared to what Nigeria and the US have done.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This LGBT angle is a sick attempt to sway the vote. Are they saying if you don't value LGBT rights, you will never host the world cup. Which basically means more than half of the world population including Nigeria. LGBT community can still go to the World cup, just know you are there for the world cup, respect Moroccan law. Don't flaunt it in public. The local police will also relax the enforcement. Keep politics out of football. Play the game.

Morocco should have our support. Nigerians will have a better experience in Morocco than in the US, Canada and Mexico. Europeans will also have a better experience. I hear there are good vacations spots in Morocco. It is good to have new countries host it. Morocco will also spend 18 billion dollars on new stadiums, hotels and transportation. Morocco is part of Africa, part of the AU and are in the process of joining Ecowas. They are also a part of the new free trade agreement. Africans must support Africans.

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Heliopolis wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Morocco wins as a WC there would essentially be a European WC due to proximity and timezone. The Europeans run FIFA and I expect them to do what they can to have it there under the guise of giving a new country the chance to host it.

I'm not happy with the North American bid although it would be convenient for me and I live in Canada. You can't have a WC in 3 countries which happen to be 3 of the biggest countries in the world. It will not have the same ambience of a WC in 1 host country and following your country around will be a b*tch.

FIFA shouldn't allow more than 1 country to host a WC. I won't be upset if Morocco wins it as it would be fairly convenient to attend.
Why is Canada not going alone and bid for it?They have never been in the world cup chance to host, it
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Benedict Iroha wrote:But I still do not support Morocco.

Morocco voted against South Africa on their soccer world cup bid, they also voted against South Africa on their rugby world cup bid, they refused to host an African cup of Nations but hosted FIFA club world cup the same year because of Ebola.

Cry me a river with this African unity crap. Morocco once applied to join the E.U.

Hope North America wins...It will nice to visit Canada and Mexico.
People have forgotten this. Unless CAF screws them over I think Morocco has the upper hand in voting.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I could care less. Infantino the CIA agent is doing his best to destroy football as we know it. Its obvious he favors USA. That said, Morocco can kick rocks. These NorthAfricanz only claim Africa when its convenient for them plus they are just as racist as Europeans. Unless the reduce the number of teamz to 32, only a few elite countries will be able to host the WC without ending up bankrupt like Greece after the olympics.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

bret- hart wrote:I could care less. Infantino the CIA agent is doing his best to destroy football as we know it. Its obvious he favors USA. That said, Morocco can kick rocks. These NorthAfricanz only claim Africa when its convenient for them plus they are just as racist as Europeans. Unless the reduce the number of teamz to 32, only a few elite countries will be able to host the WC without ending up bankrupt like Greece after the olympics.
Exactlyyyy....Well said about North Africans.