Nacho v Ighalo . Who starts?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nacho v Ighalo . Who starts?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

All our boys are firing goals going into the WC. Musa, ighalo, Nacho, Simon, and even Vic mo have all been playing well and hanging. who should start against Croatia? Nacho seems to be coming along but the strength and power of ighalo is much needed even though Nacho is a better Finisher. This is a tough one.

[/video]
[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Nacho v Ighalo . Who starts?

Post by john12 »

I honestly believe that the 2 should start as 8 and 9. Ighalo will hustle and hold the ball while Iheanacho should do the finishing. Teams like Uruguay, italy were able to use 2 out and out forward upfront
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

8 is central midfielder
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

john12 wrote:I honestly believe that the 2 should start as 8 and 9. Ighalo will hustle and hold the ball while Iheanacho should do the finishing. Teams like Uruguay, italy were able to use 2 out and out forward upfront

I think Rohr might opt to bench Onazi and go for Scoring .

Mikel Ndidi

Moses Nacho Iwobi

Ighalo

The somewhat risky but high reward option would be

Mikel ndidi

moses iwobi Musa

nacho

If Moses doesn't hog the ball we could score a lot of goals using nacho as a false 9
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... as if anyone's opinion in all of these means anything.

Abeg make una leeve awa coach make him do him job
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Odas wrote:... as if anyone's opinion in all of these means anything.

this is a good thread for those of us who aren't sure we can beat Croatia. You need to start a goal celebration thread for the ones who are sure we can beat them by 3 goals. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

absolutely no way can both Nacho and Ighalo start against Croatia. That is suicide.

Croatia has one of the best midfields in the world. We need to play Mikel, Ndidi, and one of Joel or Etebo, Onazi.

This is not negotiable IMO. We need a strong midfield. After Mikel we need 2 guys who will run their socks off for the entire 90 minutes.

Playing those 2 strikers and Croatia will have too much freedom and will punish us. The key to beating them is to bombard them with the high press, and not let them get a hold in the match. They will likely try and control possession, so counter attacks are key.

I would only play both NAcho and Ighalo, later in the game if we are searching for a goal.

On the other hand I think we can afford to play a 442 with both Ighalo and Nacho against Iceland in our second match.

Having watched the Poland game again, the 442 actually wasn't bad in the first half against Poland. We just needed to be more efficient in creating chances with off ball runs and quick passing. I could see this combo doing well against Iceland, but not against either Croatia or Argentina, especially Croatia to be honest.

at this moment, honestly I will start Ighalo ahead of Nacho. I know it may be unpopular, but there is more upside to his game, but Nacho has really improved the other areas of his game in the last few weeks so really it is a hard call. The England and Czech games may well decide if one starts over the other.

Against R Congo I will use only fringe players. Perhaps Nwankwo Simy and or Sadiq Umar in that match.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nacho played poorly the last time he was deployed as a midfielder for Nigeria.

Play V Moses, Ighalo and Iheanacho upfront.
Ndidi, Mikel and Onazi in midfield.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Odas wrote:... as if anyone's opinion in all of these means anything.

this is a good thread for those of us who aren't sure we can beat Croatia. You need to start a goal celebration thread for the ones who are sure we can beat them by 3 goals. :thumb:
Bros, I am not sure of the number of goals we will score against Croatia, but I know one thing: WE WILL BEAT them.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

vancity eagle wrote:absolutely no way can both Nacho and Ighalo start against Croatia. That is suicide.

Croatia has one of the best midfields in the world. We need to play Mikel, Ndidi, and one of Joel or Etebo, Onazi.

This is not negotiable IMO. We need a strong midfield. After Mikel we need 2 guys who will run their socks off for the entire 90 minutes.

Playing those 2 strikers and Croatia will have too much freedom and will punish us. The key to beating them is to bombard them with the high press, and not let them get a hold in the match. They will likely try and control possession, so counter attacks are key.

I would only play both NAcho and Ighalo, later in the game if we are searching for a goal.

On the other hand I think we can afford to play a 442 with both Ighalo and Nacho against Iceland in our second match.

Having watched the Poland game again, the 442 actually wasn't bad in the first half against Poland. We just needed to be more efficient in creating chances with off ball runs and quick passing. I could see this combo doing well against Iceland, but not against either Croatia or Argentina, especially Croatia to be honest.

at this moment, honestly I will start Ighalo ahead of Nacho. I know it may be unpopular, but there is more upside to his game, but Nacho has really improved the other areas of his game in the last few weeks so really it is a hard call. The England and Czech games may well decide if one starts over the other.

Against R Congo I will use only fringe players. Perhaps Nwankwo Simy and or Sadiq Umar in that match.
Good post. I agree for the most part.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:absolutely no way can both Nacho and Ighalo start against Croatia. That is suicide.

Kpom. VE you can be annoying sometimes but I have to agree with you on this one, you get sense jare :thumb:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Synopsis wrote:

Don't know if Rohr will go for a 3-5-1-1 or our normal 4-2-3-1.

Whatever the formation he will have Mikel as his advanced (central) midfielder.

------Shehu/Awaziem ---Ekong---Balogun-------
Moses--Onazi--Ndidi--Etebo--Idowu/Aina/Musa
------------Mikel-------
-----------Ighalo--------------

Shehu/Ebuehi---Ekong--Balogun---Aina/Idowu
---------Onazi------Ndidi-------------
VMoses----------Mikel-----------Simon
---------------Ighalo/Iheanacho----------------
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

ohenhen1 wrote:Nacho played poorly the last time he was deployed as a midfielder for Nigeria.

Play V Moses, Ighalo and Iheanacho upfront.
Ndidi, Mikel and Onazi in midfield.

Except Onazi works on his pace and atrocious passing of late, I am tempted to swap him with Obi. but This is my formation too
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Cellular wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

Don't know if Rohr will go for a 3-5-1-1 or our normal 4-2-3-1.

Whatever the formation he will have Mikel as his advanced (central) midfielder.

------Shehu/Awaziem ---Ekong---Balogun-------
Moses--Onazi--Ndidi--Etebo--Idowu/Aina/Musa
------------Mikel-------
-----------Ighalo--------------

Shehu/Ebuehi---Ekong--Balogun---Aina/Idowu
---------Onazi------Ndidi-------------
VMoses----------Mikel-----------Simon
---------------Ighalo/Iheanacho----------------
1. Awaziem for SE has not demonstrated he can make a legit claim to a starting line-up under any match formation
2. Shehu starts regardless. Ebuhei's case is not helped by the fact that the Serbs took him to the cleaners and cost us the goals.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Not true. We could play the following formation
.........Mikel ...............Ndidi
...................Iwobi
Nacho........Igalo......Moses

And defeat Croatia IMHO
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

I agree. the only way I would even consider playing both in the same formation against Argentina or Croatia is if we play a 352 but we haven't played that formation enough to know if our players are suited to it and it's too late to be experimenting with that formation.

Play 4231 or 433 with Ighalo up front.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

smartbrother wrote:
Not true. We could play the following formation
.........Mikel ...............Ndidi
...................Iwobi
Nacho........Igalo......Moses

And defeat Croatia IMHO
That would be suicide as Nacho can't play on the wing. I also have doubts about Iwobi playing on the wing but he would do a better job than Nacho. In all honesty I may get crap for this but I think our starting RW should be Moses Simon. He offers more in that position than many of the players we have in the pool.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Chai, so Celluminatus, when not painting nonsensical patterns in sudocrem across you bare chestedness, whilst bojangling with mandatory human head, you have the interest to scribble formations...One had, perhaps mistakenly, assumed interests fell far short of the beautiful game and were solely seeded in the occultic. Nno.

@VE, the notion the three-man midfield is essential before the technically astute midfield, is pure fallacy. Yes, Nigeria can play a front two against Croatia and in doing so, would actually influence their passing patterns. Modric ru al will drop deep to collect the ball off the back line, with two CFs occupying the centre backs, the ball has to go wide if not long. Already, the non-possessive/defensive phase is moved away from the area of opposition’s greatest strength.

It gets better, ordered another round, it’s...about...to go...down. Ighalo and Iheanacho (for want of example) are up top. In the defensive phase they make lateral runs to cover the fullbacks, left and right midfielder, make inverted runs to check the midfield, with one pressing the ball player and the other covering the immediate midfield outlet.

In a 4-4-2, this leave a 4-2 base. The free 3rd midfielder is covered by one of the two anchors ie. Ndidi and the likely scenario is either the individual marker is beaten, the ball goes wide and it’s 1 vs 1 with the fullback or the ball goes long.

Last season such a ploy was used by Crystal Palace to destroy a superior opponent boasting a wonderfully gifted midfield. One wouldn’t go anywhere near a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 vs Croatia. Like for like seldom favours the underdog, force them to change and reign within the ensuing chaos.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Play them together. The full backs and V Moses will provide the wide play. They can switch roles during the game.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

The only time Nacho has been effective in a two man strike force for Eagles, Ighalo did not play. Vs Zambia in Ndola and Argentina. At all other times that I have watched and recollect, one of the two (Ighalo/Nacho) has been ineffective.

Secondly, although we will beat Croatia, VE is correct, a three man midfield wont work. First half will require four/five mobile guys and a lot of pressing. Second half strategy may be altered when we are two goals up.

Their central defense is weak, their defensive midfield is slow and their age and desire is suspect. At this age, no Croatian wants to get hurt in the golden years of their club careers.

Our strength is the transition game, pressing, counter attacks and a water tight midfield with minimal creativity. Let's play to our strengths and forget about being cute.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

nzeogwu wrote:The only time Nacho has been effective in a two man strike force for Eagles, Ighalo did not play. Vs Zambia in Ndola and Argentina. At all other times that I have watched and recollect, one of the two (Ighalo/Nacho) has been ineffective.

Secondly, although we will beat Croatia, VE is correct, a three man midfield wont work. First half will require four/five mobile guys and a lot of pressing. Second half strategy may be altered when we are two goals up.

Their central defense is weak, their defensive midfield is slow and their age and desire is suspect. At this age, no Croatian wants to get hurt in the golden years of their club careers.

Our strength is the transition game, pressing, counter attacks and a water tight midfield with minimal creativity. Let's play to our strengths and forget about being cute.
He was effective vs Tanzania. We should have scored more than 1 goal that day.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Synopsis wrote:8 is central midfielder

4 nko? Backman? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:8 is central midfielder

4 nko? Backman? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Yes

Cb