HOW TO LINE UP FOR 3 FRIENDLIES

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
HOW TO LINE UP FOR 3 FRIENDLIES

Post by vancity eagle »

Going by the 30 players Rohr has chosen, the 23 man squad virtually picks itself. There are really only one or two real choices to be made.

The goalies will pick themselves. Ajiboye is just there to make the numbers, left to me he will replace AKepyi but it wont happen.

The 4 CB's pick themselves, the only question in defence is who loses out between Echijele, Aina, Ebuehi.

Midfield virtually picks itself

Attack virtually picks itself, but if Nwankwo can make a statement, Rohr may drop a midfielder or defender for him.

The 3 friendlies we must line up strategically, managing injuries, not giving away too much to our opponents, while testing one or two outliers.

Against DR Congo I will rest the majority of our players, however what is key is that if Uzoho is to be our #1, I will start him and let him play the entire 3 matches, for him to gain the experience he needs. No point in giving any time to Akpeyi or Ezenwa. Uzoho must get as much experience as possible. Balogun must be rested and in fact I will start both backup CB's to give them some playing time so that if they are called upon due to an injury or cards in the WC proper, they will have had some practise. The DR Congo match is Simmy Nwankwo's chance to stake a claim. Also this is the match where we decide which wing back gets dropped. Etebo and Joel are coming back from injury so I would not play vs DR Congo, Ditto for Ndidi.

DR CONGO

******************************************************UZOHO**************************************************************

AINA******************************OMERUO*********************************AWAZIEM********************************ECHIJELE

*****************************************MIKEL AGU***************ONAZI***************************************************

*****************************************************OGU******************************************************************

MUSA**********************************************************************************************************NWOKOSA

*****************************************************NWANKWO***********************************************************

For the England match we play close to our first team, still resting Ndidi, but also this is a very high profile match that our opponents will be watching, so honestly I would not want to give away everything. Perhaps give Nacho his last chance to prove he can be a top striker, with Ighalo coming in later.

ENGLAND

***********************************************************UZOHO************************************************************

ABDULLAHI***********************************BALOGUN************************TROOST***********************************IDOWU

************************************************ETEBO*************JOEL******************************************************

********************************************************MIKEL***************************************************************

MOSES V************************************************************************************************************IWOBI

**********************************************************IHEANACHO********************************************************

CZECH REP.

Check Ndidi's fitness, and try out a 442 formation which we may use against Iceland.

*******************************************************UZOHO*************************************************************

EBUEHI*******************************BALOGUN************************TROOST*************************************IDOWU

********************************************NDIDI*************MIKEL***************************************************

MOSES VICTOR*******************************************************************************************SIMON MOSES

******************************************IGHALO************NACHO******************************************************
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg
Re: HOW TO LINE UP FOR 3 FRIENDLIES

Post by TheHitman47 »

This makes a lot of sense. I really hope that our lineups are close to this.

Especially that England match where Croatia will really be watching us.
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

vancity eagle wrote:Going by the 30 players Rohr has chosen, the 23 man squad virtually picks itself. There are really only one or two real choices to be made.

The goalies will pick themselves. Ajiboye is just there to make the numbers, left to me he will replace AKepyi but it wont happen.

The 4 CB's pick themselves, the only question in defence is who loses out between Echijele, Aina, Ebuehi.

Midfield virtually picks itself

Attack virtually picks itself, but if Nwankwo can make a statement, Rohr may drop a midfielder or defender for him.

The 3 friendlies we must line up strategically, managing injuries, not giving away too much to our opponents, while testing one or two outliers.

Against DR Congo I will rest the majority of our players, however what is key is that if Uzoho is to be our #1, I will start him and let him play the entire 3 matches, for him to gain the experience he needs. No point in giving any time to Akpeyi or Ezenwa. Uzoho must get as much experience as possible. Balogun must be rested and in fact I will start both backup CB's to give them some playing time so that if they are called upon due to an injury or cards in the WC proper, they will have had some practise. The DR Congo match is Simmy Nwankwo's chance to stake a claim. Also this is the match where we decide which wing back gets dropped. Etebo and Joel are coming back from injury so I would not play vs DR Congo, Ditto for Ndidi.

DR CONGO

******************************************************UZOHO**************************************************************

AINA******************************OMERUO*********************************AWAZIEM********************************ECHIJELE

*****************************************MIKEL AGU***************ONAZI***************************************************

*****************************************************OGU******************************************************************

MUSA**********************************************************************************************************NWOKOSA

*****************************************************NWANKWO***********************************************************

For the England match we play close to our first team, still resting Ndidi, but also this is a very high profile match that our opponents will be watching, so honestly I would not want to give away everything. Perhaps give Nacho his last chance to prove he can be a top striker, with Ighalo coming in later.

ENGLAND

***********************************************************UZOHO************************************************************

ABDULLAHI***********************************BALOGUN************************TROOST***********************************IDOWU

************************************************ETEBO*************JOEL******************************************************

********************************************************MIKEL***************************************************************

MOSES V************************************************************************************************************IWOBI

**********************************************************IHEANACHO********************************************************

CZECH REP.

Check Ndidi's fitness, and try out a 442 formation which we may use against Iceland.

*******************************************************UZOHO*************************************************************

EBUEHI*******************************BALOGUN************************TROOST*************************************IDOWU

********************************************NDIDI*************MIKEL***************************************************

MOSES VICTOR*******************************************************************************************SIMON MOSES

******************************************IGHALO************NACHO******************************************************

When sentiment and emotional dust clears your posts are fantastic. Got little issues with the line ups but think Ndidi should be given some playtime in all games maybe as sub initially to improve match fitness. Maybe even start against England and play 45-60 mins
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Uzoho is almost Akpeyi-like. I would start Ezenwa at the World Cup...
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Against England, and Czech Republic

Uzoho
Shehu, Balogun, Ekong, Idowu
Onazi, Mikel, Ndidi
Iheanacho, Ighalo, V Moses

No time to experiment. Players will have to earn their appearance with their play in training as second half subs.

Against Dr Congo

Ezenwa
Shehu, Balogun, Ekong, Idowu
Agu, Etebo, J Obi
S Moses, S Nwankwo, Lokosa

Need to test J Obi fitness for 90 minutes.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

We cannot play a weak team against England. Simple reason? If we get smashed 5-0 it will be impossible to recover that lost confidence before Russia starts. I am sure Rohr will take a lone goal defeat or a draw and if camp is good and the boys catch form and chemistry, England may receive the recent Argentina treatment. If that happens, the UK tabloids will eat Gareth Soughgate alive and may even call for him to step down to avoid humiliation.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We were hammered by the Dutch in 1994. Recovered in time for Bulgaria.

kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

ohenhen1 wrote:We were hammered by the Dutch in 1994. Recovered in time for Bulgaria.
I believe it was actually 1998(5-1 thumping) and we did recover to beat Spain. Just my recollection
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

kawawa wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:We were hammered by the Dutch in 1994. Recovered in time for Bulgaria.
I believe it was actually 1998(5-1 thumping) and we did recover to beat Spain. Just my recollection

You are right it was Sweden and Romania that beat us in 1994.

BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

At times football can be about luck of the day sha. Vs Bulgaria (94) and Spain (98) World class stars missed galore of early opportunities in both games and we took ours well. Against Denmark (98) they waisted no chance. We probably really need that kind of luck or favour against Croatia
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

BigMuze wrote:At times football can be about luck of the day sha. Vs Bulgaria (94) and Spain (98) World class stars missed galore of early opportunities in both games and we took ours well. Against Denmark (98) they waisted no chance. We probably really need that kind of luck or favour against Croatia
Have u ever seen a game where there were no missed chances? If missed chances counted as goals there would be no need for a score. Judges would just award points based on performance like Ice skating.
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

This your quadrennial attempt to be a nations coach is 43cking annoying. You've insulted every coach that's ever taken us to the wc because you don't agree with their selections. You think you know better. Now you're giving us your selection. I bet you're also a super hero in your spare time? Dreamer
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Synopsis wrote:Uzoho is almost Akpeyi-like. I would start Ezenwa at the World Cup...
This such a dishonest statement.
Uzoho is a imposing 6’6 plays and has kept clean sheets while playing for 9ja. In his third cap conceded 2 goals that were not his fault. While Akpeyi has never kept a clean sheet in any game he represent 9ja and has no confidence. I remember Vincent was also jittery in his early days keeping for 9ja in fact up to today Vincent is poor on crosses and really only a good shot stopper. Uzoho’s journey with Nigeria has only just started so should be given a chance
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Synopsis wrote:Uzoho is almost Akpeyi-like. I would start Ezenwa at the World Cup...
This such a dishonest statement.
Uzoho is a imposing 6’6 plays and has kept clean sheets while playing for 9ja. In his third cap conceded 2 goals that were not his fault. While Akpeyi has never kept a clean sheet in any game he represent 9ja and has no confidence. I remember Vincent was also jittery in his early days keeping for 9ja in fact up to today Vincent is poor on crosses and really only a good shot stopper. Uzoho’s journey with Nigeria has only just started so should be given a chance
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Most goals at a Mundial are scored from set pieces or a goalie spilling the ball. Let's look at the goals Naija has conceded.

1994:

Argentina:

Cannigia from Rufai spill.
Cannigia from quick restart by Maradona. Eguavoen asleep.

1994:

Italy:

Baggio from penalty. Eguavoen asleep.
Baggio placement on counter, Rufai no chance. Open play.

1998:

Spain:

Hierro free kick, Rufai did an Akpeyi and covered the wrong side.
Raul: Incredible first time shot in open play.

2002:

Sweden:

Larson penalty
Larson open play destroyed Okonkwo and Yobo

Argentina:

Battistuta, header from corner.

2010:

Argentina:

Heinze headed, Obasi held on corner.

Greece:

Enyeama spilled the first shot Salginzidi buried the spill. Open play.

Second goal was a deflection of Obasi

South Korea:

Enyeama looked for the header from So who used his feet to score of the free kick

Enyeama covered the wrong side on the free kick by Young

2014:

Argentina:

Enyeama beaten by Messi in open play
Enyeama again did an Akpeyi, covered the wrong side despite setting up the wall properly...beaten by Messi
Enyeama beat by Rojo off a corner
***Nigeria did not place a full back on the left post***Goalkeepers fault in organization.

France:

Enyeama beat by Pogba off a corner

***Nigeria did not place a full back on the EITHER post***Goalkeepers fault in organization.

Enyeama and Yobo acidentally collided of the pass from Valbuena's short corner.

As you can see, the majority of goals come from set pieces and not openen play. If you have a big/long goalie, your probability may just go down.

I doubt if Uzoho will be making ten saves a game as Enyeama did against Argentina in both 2010 and 2014. The defense is better organized.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

kawawa wrote:
The boys deliberately lost the match because Amo and some other players wanted the coach out before the world cup.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Honestly, we don't usually do well in friendly matches heading to World cup. Thus, for the friendlies, win or lose, I hope it doesn't mean much to the players. In all, perfect our strategies, understand your role and et al. and, let's go and kick behinds
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

BigMuze wrote: At times football can be about luck of the day sha. Vs Bulgaria (94) and Spain (98) World class stars missed galore of early opportunities in both games and we took ours well. Against Denmark (98) they waisted no chance. We probably really need that kind of luck or favour against Croatia
Bros, not ONLY in football does one or teams need luck. As an individual, I think we need luck at all times - no matter how talented we might be - else all the efforts and talents will be of little use
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.